• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
For the little time I tested it, the "Flash Red on Unsuccessful L-Cancel" code is awesome! I can't wait to get a session in with it. Thanks to InternetExplorer for the original code flash on l-cancel code. All it took was a little reverse engineering from there.

Last edited:

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
hey, I've been out of the melee loop for a while but I want to get back into it for a bit... I don't suppose this would work on a japanese version of smash if I were to get it, eh? I currently don't have a system/game at my place and I'd have to import any NTSC stuff

Doser

Smash Ace
Why were Kongo Jungle, Green Greens, Temple, Mushroom Kingdom, and Yoshi's Island 64 added to the default random stages that are turned on?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
What method do you use now to find free space in the DOL? How many lines of assembly code is a typical code? Assuming playing from a backup on Wii, we're not limited by the size of the disc; couldn't there be a way to "trick" DIOS MIOS into playing a Gamecube Disc Image larger than 1.4 GB (allowing you to just add codes at the end, growing the size)?

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with the pack for a few days and it's phenomenal! Love it to death. A few things I've noticed, however:

-Loading a "save state" when a character is on the respawn platform freezes the game
-Loading a "save state" doesn't turn characters around, which can be annoying when you're practicing shield pressure against a CPU that acts out of shield stun and then isn't facing you or whatever.
-If you load a "save state" while someone is grabbing you, the game will freeze next time you get grabbed.

And, more of a personal problem really, trying to play on the hacked Dream Land freezes the game for me. Ideas on that?
Thanks for all your hard work on this, Achilles!

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WAVESHINING.

"And I don't know about the CPU walking off the stage thing. I may try and fix that soon."

Yo achilles dont worry huh... It's the same thing that's happened in the fox dair uthrow upair .gif. But yeah a player position check will be really awesome.

Also we need a training stage like PM had, ill check some threads about that, to see what i can do myself :D

I saw you were working on long nicknames :

Is it possible to make long nickames using 2 nicknames slot ? To avoid recoding the nicknames editor.

Like if i put "LONG" in slot 0 and "NICK" in slot 5, ingame it will be LONGNICK ? or you're working on a better way to do it ?

Oh and yeah, another suggestion : highlight a player in a color when he is in hitlag, (not shieldstun)

Oh god, another idea, it could be nice to be able to freeze % in training mode.

Like if i set the CPU to 50% in the training mode, he will stay at 50% whatever is going on. And the code would be off by defaut but togglable in the debug menu. ( i can see plenty of potential use for it with the random DI code )

Oh and why not a perfect edguard smash, for P2 action toggle ?

I tried to put peach in the edge, spamming down smash, or marth spamming fsmash, but it's not a viable timing to pratice, so maybe if you use the same technology as for fox's upairs, it could be REALLY usefull cause they'll never miss the smash, so it's a perfect tech training.

Peach : Downsmash
Marth : Fmash
Falco - Fox : Downsmash
Etc...

But maybe it's something that you can do using the Custom P2 action without rewriting the whole thing ? Like "CPU only spam the move if the player is in the custom input range" ?

It'll allow us to input any move we want, and the bot will do it a the perfect timing.

Anyway thanks for the rumble ON by default !

Acryte

Smash Ace
Colors are amazing :)

If hitlag was was a separate color toggle would be nice, because you're gonna see it an awful lot.

Also in training mode all you have to do is pause and unpause to reset your percentage lol which is kinda perfect because you can practice a combo from that percent and it increases while you do the combo. Or you just want to do low percent chain grabs and tech chases endlessly?

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
What method do you use now to find free space in the DOL? How many lines of assembly code is a typical code? Assuming playing from a backup on Wii, we're not limited by the size of the disc; couldn't there be a way to "trick" DIOS MIOS into playing a Gamecube Disc Image larger than 1.4 GB (allowing you to just add codes at the end, growing the size)?
There's an awful lot of space left on the disc anyways lol... it's a dvd and the iso is only 1.4 gb... I don't think that's the exact issue, also revel8n probably has the most knowledge on this area of study.

If we could expand our working area though that would be amazing hehe. Are we able to use the space where the special video was? Or is that in the wrong file for it to be used for the type of codes we want?

Last edited:

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
Acryte : Yes its for endless techchasing, it's kinda boring when you only want to train your muscle memory, and not thinking about true combo.

Like i would like to use fox in FD, upsmash, follow upsmash, follow upsmash, and training the technique itself, i dont want to be annoyed by the fact that the cpu goes further every time. Specially with the random DI.

Achilles : I cant get the Red flash on missed l cancel to work as a separate code, with 2.04 20XX on a wii softmodded. ( The game dont boot )

Also when i had the flash on shieldstun code, noone of P2 action toggle code works.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey. I tried to rebuild the ISO following Beanwolf's video just to make sure I hadn't done anything stupid. I'm playing on a PAL TV (I think, I'm in NZ) Sony Trinitron.

I haven't tested it in a regular vs. match, but even with the rebuilt ISO, I still observe crashes with Yoshi forward air onto infinite shields.

Also, and this is the more irritating issue, in training mode, the screen is very weird. The start menu options are visible on the LHS of the screen even when not activated, and the status icons usually found on the RHS are much closer to the middle. This is not the case when I run the ISO on Dolphin, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my Wii/TV. Can you suggest DIOS-MIOS options for video mode that I should force it to?

Acryte

Smash Ace
Onino that might be because you enabled widescreen hack, I don't know if internetexplorer coded training mode to display properly in it or not.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hi Acryte, I've tried it both ways, Hack on and Hack off and still observe it to be the case. I have the suspicion that the widescreen hack is not actually being disabled for some reason, as the appearance of the screen doesn't change at all, even in the menus.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
No I'm not, what would I need to change so that 'Colors' is set to ON?
Here are the steps. Try and do it yourself.

1) Download a hex editor. I use Hex Editor Neo.
2) open up the Start.dol from the new pack in the hex editor
3) In the top left, there will be a little box where you can input what line you want to jump to.
Enter "3f73cb" in there and then hit Enter (this line is normally referred to as 0x3f73cb).​
4) this is the the byte that controls the default value for COLORS (currently 01). Change it to 02 if you want. Then save and replace the DOL file on your ISO.

For other reference,

0x3f73cf = default byte toggle for INGAME OFF
0x3f73d3 = default byte toggle for WIDESCREEN
0x3f73d7 = default byte toggle for SKIP RESULTS
0x3f73db = default byte toggle for RAND MUSIC

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
hey, I've been out of the melee loop for a while but I want to get back into it for a bit... I don't suppose this would work on a japanese version of smash if I were to get it, eh? I currently don't have a system/game at my place and I'd have to import any NTSC stuff
This won't work on an actual smash disc. You'll need to run it on a hacked wii with image file of the game.

Why were Kongo Jungle, Green Greens, Temple, Mushroom Kingdom, and Yoshi's Island 64 added to the default random stages that are turned on?
They are not on by default. Then get toggled on when you hit d-pad down at the CSS to turn on hacked stages (because those are the hacked "legal" stages). And the normal legal singles stages are toggled back on when you hit d-pad down again to revert back to normal stages.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've currently only used the space at the beginning. The space prior to line 0x2190. I've used almost all of it. The length of a code....well...just depends on the code. I obviously have written tons of "smaller" codes but in order to conserve as much space as possible, I try to group like-codes together into one longer one, to avoid having to do things like setting a register to pickup player inputs more than one time.

For ex., all the ingame toggles are grouped into one code. At the beginning of the code, I pick up a player's input. Then it checks for all those button activators and if any of them are equal, then it executes a code (like infinite shield). and after it goes through one player, it goes to the next and checks that player's input.

You can imagine how many more lines of code I would have to write if each of those button activator codes were separate and each had extra lines for getting player's inputs and going through each player.

So thats an example of a really long code. It's like 500 lines of ASM or something (does a lot of menu stuff too). If I enable ONLY this code on Dolphin or using CFG Loader or something, it won't work. This code alone is too much for the codehandler.

And then there's the P2 action toggle code....which is almost equally as long.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've been playing around with the pack for a few days and it's phenomenal! Love it to death. A few things I've noticed, however:

-Loading a "save state" when a character is on the respawn platform freezes the game
-Loading a "save state" doesn't turn characters around, which can be annoying when you're practicing shield pressure against a CPU that acts out of shield stun and then isn't facing you or whatever.
-If you load a "save state" while someone is grabbing you, the game will freeze next time you get grabbed.

And, more of a personal problem really, trying to play on the hacked Dream Land freezes the game for me. Ideas on that?
Thanks for all your hard work on this, Achilles!
Glad you've been enjoying it. I think I mentioned that first save state issue on the OP - I don't think this is really fixable.

Yeah...save states do not change the way a character is facing. There is a byte that changes based on if a character is facing left or right, but changing it does nothing. And there is not an action state that differentiates between facing left or facing right. So as of now, I do not know how make this as something that can be synced.

I also have a warning on the OP about grabbing. Same story as the revival platform.

You say hacked "Dream Land" but do you mean Green Greens? It should work.....its working for mine and for others. I would just try reimporting all the files from the newest pack.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WAVESHINING.

"And I don't know about the CPU walking off the stage thing. I may try and fix that soon."

Yo achilles dont worry huh... It's the same thing that's happened in the fox dair uthrow upair .gif. But yeah a player position check will be really awesome.

Also we need a training stage like PM had, ill check some threads about that, to see what i can do myself :D

I saw you were working on long nicknames :

Is it possible to make long nickames using 2 nicknames slot ? To avoid recoding the nicknames editor.

Like if i put "LONG" in slot 0 and "NICK" in slot 5, ingame it will be LONGNICK ? or you're working on a better way to do it ?

Oh and yeah, another suggestion : highlight a player in a color when he is in hitlag, (not shieldstun)

Oh god, another idea, it could be nice to be able to freeze % in training mode.

Like if i set the CPU to 50% in the training mode, he will stay at 50% whatever is going on. And the code would be off by defaut but togglable in the debug menu. ( i can see plenty of potential use for it with the random DI code )

Oh and why not a perfect edguard smash, for P2 action toggle ?

I tried to put peach in the edge, spamming down smash, or marth spamming fsmash, but it's not a viable timing to pratice, so maybe if you use the same technology as for fox's upairs, it could be REALLY usefull cause they'll never miss the smash, so it's a perfect tech training.

Peach : Downsmash
Marth : Fmash
Falco - Fox : Downsmash
Etc...

But maybe it's something that you can do using the Custom P2 action without rewriting the whole thing ? Like "CPU only spam the move if the player is in the custom input range" ?

It'll allow us to input any move we want, and the bot will do it a the perfect timing.

Anyway thanks for the rumble ON by default !
I really wish someone active was working on stage hacking. It makes me quite sad that there isn't. I would love to make the trophy stage a viable cuonterpick. It's so interesting.

I had that exact same idea for the nickname thing. But the characters you are able to input normally are actually different in format than the ones I used in "Achilles". So I'll have to look into it some more. It would definitely be awesome to let users input longer tags.

and thats a good idea with having chars do intelligently timed smashes. my idea for this was having Marth repeatedly fsmash but only frames 12 and onward of the fsmash so it's like constant disjointed hitbox always.

I.B

Smash Lord
Anyone else have trouble running this from a disc?

I burned the ISO, and it runs fine on Dolphin. But for some reason it doesn't boot on the Wii. Tried multiple loaders (Neogamma, GC Backup Launcher, Gecko)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Colors are amazing :)

If hitlag was was a separate color toggle would be nice, because you're gonna see it an awful lot.

Also in training mode all you have to do is pause and unpause to reset your percentage lol which is kinda perfect because you can practice a combo from that percent and it increases while you do the combo. Or you just want to do low percent chain grabs and tech chases endlessly?
I should be able to do hitlag and hitstun now. I'll have to take a look at exactly how much free space I have left, but it may require more.
There's an awful lot of space left on the disc anyways lol... it's a dvd and the iso is only 1.4 gb... I don't think that's the exact issue, also revel8n probably has the most knowledge on this area of study.

If we could expand our working area though that would be amazing hehe. Are we able to use the space where the special video was? Or is that in the wrong file for it to be used for the type of codes we want?
For the special video, it depends on if it gets loaded into the RAM at a static position. I doubt this happens but it might...but it's a good idea to start thinking like this.

Acryte : Yes its for endless techchasing, it's kinda boring when you only want to train your muscle memory, and not thinking about true combo.

Like i would like to use fox in FD, upsmash, follow upsmash, follow upsmash, and training the technique itself, i dont want to be annoyed by the fact that the cpu goes further every time. Specially with the random DI.

Achilles : I cant get the Red flash on missed l cancel to work as a separate code, with 2.04 20XX on a wii softmodded. ( The game dont boot )

Also when i had the flash on shieldstun code, noone of P2 action toggle code works.
That's kind of what the save state is for.

I'll test the Red Flash code again. Did you try it on Dolphin? And the white shieldstun code from the Gecko codes thread needs to be modified to work with the 20xx pack. I posted the modified code maybe 2 or 3 pages ago.
Hey. I tried to rebuild the ISO following Beanwolf's video just to make sure I hadn't done anything stupid. I'm playing on a PAL TV (I think, I'm in NZ) Sony Trinitron.

I haven't tested it in a regular vs. match, but even with the rebuilt ISO, I still observe crashes with Yoshi forward air onto infinite shields.

Also, and this is the more irritating issue, in training mode, the screen is very weird. The start menu options are visible on the LHS of the screen even when not activated, and the status icons usually found on the RHS are much closer to the middle. This is not the case when I run the ISO on Dolphin, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my Wii/TV. Can you suggest DIOS-MIOS options for video mode that I should force it to?
I'm sorry - I don't know anything about Dios Mios video options. I guess just keep trying all of the different options. And idk why you're having those issues. I just tried it myself and training mode looks normal and Yoshi's fair on infinite shield did not cause a freeze. Make sure you're using the newest build...??. Also, don't use a memory card if you currently are.
Anyone else have trouble running this from a disc?

I burned the ISO, and it runs fine on Dolphin. But for some reason it doesn't boot on the Wii. Tried multiple loaders (Neogamma, GC Backup Launcher, Gecko)
I used to play hacked ISOs off a disc and then all of a sudden Neogamma quit working on me. So then I switched to Sd card and have never looked back. It's lightyears more convenient. But I don't have any specific information that could help you. I never did solve my Neogamma issue.

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
"That's kind of what the save state is for. "

Im not agree at all with that, save state doesnt work well for infinite techchasing, like infinite shine ada a cpu with falco, techchasing only with utilt, only doing pivot grab at a PRECISE percentage repetitively, or infinite upair a cpu with fox on the homerun stage, or use the custom CPU input to force the CPU to DI to the right then i ada shine him on homerun.

I dont like save state for this, cause :

-% is not fixed
-we need to use it carefully to avoid freeze
-sometimes it doesnt work as expected
-we need to restart from the save state so it breaks the momentum of the training
-savestate doesnt save the player direction
-if you save close to the cpu, he'll annoy you as soon as possible when you load

I dont say save state is useless, but imo its not helpful for this purpose particulary.

I use save state for things like : I place marth under a platform, spamming utilt to train shieldrop, or training fox upair at the first frame.

I.B

Smash Lord
I used to play hacked ISOs off a disc and then all of a sudden Neogamma quit working on me. So then I switched to Sd card and have never looked back. It's lightyears more convenient. But I don't have any specific information that could help you. I never did solve my Neogamma issue.
I can imagine how much more convenient it is to boot from SD. I've been trying to boot from a disc now only after many attempts at booting from SD and USB.

Doser

Smash Ace
Is anyone else getting a glitch where the cursor is constantly moving left and spamming x while in the stage select screen? It seems to happen randomly and if I pick a stage, quit out, and go back to the stage select screen it is fixed.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
it is shine -> Jump -> wavedash (-> shine -> repeat)
hmm, I have also NEVER had a sense of discomfort...

I actually wanted it to be this way in the first place. The only reason why I didn't is because d-pad left was infinite shield in the first hack pack and I thought it would be a good idea to keep it the same toggle in second hack pack. But I agree with you, it should be changed. And I might do this with the next update.
I see. We look forward to that.

And as for the stock handicap code, I think it's creative and a good code, but save states can be used pretty effectively for crew battles for the time being.

example: Start a match --> save state immediately at start. Player 2 kills himself twice because he lost two stocks in the last match. Then the crowd can count down 3-2-1 ---> load state --> players start

Ideally, if I can get more code lines, some sort of crew battle mode will be implemented.
I worry about cheating or freeze because of state save and load command when we play serious match.
True, it would be good if all of us would have sportsmanship.

But, especially in serious match, I think cheating is should be absolutely unavailable.
We can't 100%-accurately judge whether using state loading is used by mistake or on purpose.

Stock handicap can be used only starting of a match.
And, in casual smash scenes, we can use it as a good handicap when beginners and the advanced play with.

How about this?
GameToggles is ON -> D-pad is for state loading & save
GameToggles is OFF -> D-pad of right before starting of the match is stock handicap.

Or, If you make the mode which is "GameToggles is OFF, but saving and loading state is available" for Crew battle mode,
How about this in DEBUG MENU?

InGameToggles:
1=ON
2=OFF, but loading & saving state is ON
3=OFF, stock handicap is available

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
The GrHr.dat file is too large and cannot be imported/replaced. Suggestions?

I

-opened up the file in Hex Editor and removed an extra "00" but it did not help.
-redownloaded the file
-cleared the existing ISO

Could the fault be in the actual ISO file I downloaded?

Alternatively, could someone send me a premade ISO with 2.04? I would like to host the file and share it.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The GrHr.dat file is too large and cannot be imported/replaced. Suggestions?

I

-opened up the file in Hex Editor and removed an extra "00" but it did not help.
-redownloaded the file
-cleared the existing ISO

Could the fault be in the actual ISO file I downloaded?

Alternatively, could someone send me a premade ISO with 2.04? I would like to host the file and share it.
This is why I have instructions for rebuilding the ISO. That is how you replace smaller files with larger ones.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
What other homebrew apps does one need to install before getting dios mios lite / clean-rip? (to setup booting the game as an iso file from an SD card)
I have homebrew, bootmii, priiloader and wads from mod manager installed right now.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
So again, there are currently only 3 alternate costume changes available. But you can change these costumes to different ones than those that I put in that pack if you so choose.

Costume -------------- Associated File ------ Normal File Name
Normal Fox ---------- TyRoyR.dat -------------- PlFxNr.dat
Blue C. Falcon ----- TySeak.dat --------------- PlCaBu.dat
Normal Marth ------- TyLink.dat ---------------- PlMsNr.dat

But you MUST be weary about what costume the texture hack you are adding in is for. If you end up replacing TyRoyR.dat with a different fox costume, it MUST be one that normally replaces PlFxNr.dat (Normal Fox).

So for example, you cannot replace TySeak.dat with Green Ranger C. Falcon if the Green Ranger C. Falcon file normally replaces the green falcon costume (PlCaGr.dat). It has to be one that normally replaces PlCaBu.dat (which Captain America does).

But feel free to use InternetExplorer's Melee Toolkit to extract texture files from one costume and replace them on another costume.
So you could extract all the green ranger textures, open up PlCaBu.dat in the Toolkit, and then replace all those textures with the green ranger ones. Save it, then extract out that new PlCaBu file and replace TySeak.dat in your 20XX ISO with it.

Also Goxplex, I messaged you on Reddit with a DOL file for having Rumble ON by default. I also added it to the OP under a "variations" category, underneath the normal download link - if anyone else would like it.
Thanks! I really appreciate what you are doing for the community.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Just to confirm, is that (IOS 236) the only other essential program I need before I'm able to start the ISO booting process? Thanks Achilles!

Malurth

Smash Cadet
I keep getting an issue where on the stage select screen, the cursor drifts hard to one side and then any stage it hovers over it auto-bans (after having played a match already). What am I doing wrong?

Edit: And just now it kept exiting out of the stage select screen the first chance it got.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I keep getting an issue where on the stage select screen, the cursor drifts hard to one side and then any stage it hovers over it auto-bans (after having played a match already). What am I doing wrong?

Edit: And just now it kept exiting out of the stage select screen the first chance it got.
Somehow, a P2 action toggle is staying active after exiting a game.

If you can give me the exact steps to replicate the issue upon bootup, then I should be able to figure out why this happens.

Top Bottom