• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2000's has stunk in both movies and music.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: Nvm for music.

Movie-wise, I don't quite agree. We have Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Spiderman, X-Men, 300, random Adam Sandler movies, Mummy Returns, Oceans Eleven, Rush Hour 2/3, Shrek, etc. etc. etc.

Micksmash

Smash Rookie
THIS THREAD IS MADNESS.

Ah jk, I don't think 300 was as great as the hype surrounding it. But their are plenty of movies that were good. I guess the Matrix was like 1999... almost 2000. I heard others in this thread mention the Departed. American History X, Fight Club... the new Hulk starring Ed Norton is gonna come out soon (things with Ed Norton are always win).

A lot of less popular films and Independent films that came out were really good. The Dead Girl, Dopamine, PUMPKIN, just to name a few.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Regarding the movie situation. I think movie creativity has declined recently, due to two things.

The first being that the majority of movie's being produced these days are just for money. They know people will feed them millions of dollars if they put out the sh*t. I think prime examples of this include all Scary Movies after 2, and pretty much any other movie spoof movie. (IE: Meet the Spartans, The Comebacks, Superhero Movie, Epic Movie.) Movie's weren't as popular or considered a staple of media during the 60's - 80's, which is why when they were made, they were creative, great ideas, that the director's truly wanted to see come alive, not just make a quick buck.

The second reason is something we'll all have to come to terms with. Pretty much every story idea/plot twist/character you can think of has been done. It's like sitcoms. You can watch one or two of them, and predict what will happen in every sitcom ever. They all thrive off of the same storyline.

In terms of music, I agree that what's popular now isn't too good. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, some people hate metal, but I love it.

Symphony X released Paradise Lost just last year, and it's a great album. Good music is still being made, just not legendary yet. It needs to age before everyone will consider it great.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Wow, so I just read the first post, and all I can say is...

"Holy sweeping generalities, Batman!"

I mean seriously. There have been some great music and movies since the turn of the century. I mean, I personally can't turn on the radio and not listen to an oldies station if I want to retain my sanity, but that's because that's the kind of music I like. I can't hear progressive rock on the radio, so I listen to the music from the 60s-80s that I grew up on. It doesn't mean there aren't progressive bands out there making incredible music every day. And that's only one genre. It's like that in every other one as well.

As for movies, they really aren't my thing. But Lord of the Rings was a book, so it really wasn't all that orignial either. Granted, I really enjoyed watching them, but the plot was already thought of by some guy named J.R.R. Then again, Transformers was INCREDIBLE, and it wasn't overly original either. (I'm only talking about characters, plot, ect.... not how the movie was made.)

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Transformers was INCREDIBLE, and it wasn't overly original either. (I'm only talking about characters, plot, ect.... not how the movie was made.)
Transformers had great potential, but in the end I'd say it failed. For one, the movie is called Transformers, not "Teenage Love Story With Some Cool Robots Every Now And Then." Seriously. Also, the fight scenes are hard to watch, because you never know what's going on. I was kinda sitting there like, "I saw a fist! But whose?"

Exovel

Smash Ace
Think so?

I really loved that movie. The love story thing was a bit much perhaps, but the only thing that bothered me was that Bumblebee wasn't a VW Beetle. Then again, I'm a purist. But I think that if they wanted a kick-*** yellow car they could have used Hot Shot.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Think so?

I really loved that movie. The love story thing was a bit much perhaps, but the only thing that bothered me was that Bumblebee wasn't a VW Beetle. Then again, I'm a purist. But I think that if they wanted a kick-*** yellow car they could have used Hot Shot.
That also kind of irked me. No Hot Shot? Come on. Hopefully the next two will be better. That's right. Two more.

It's like what happened to Spiderman. I thought the first was great, not too much love story at all. The next two were way too heavy on it. I mean, the third should've been it's own side movie about Peter and MJ's everyday life. Needless to say, unless the villain has captured the girl and is using her to bait the hero - Leave her out of it.

Top Bottom