• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2000's has stunk in both movies and music.

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
The only movies of the 2000's which have blown me away are the Lord of the Rings movies.

And all music today is freaking garbage. It all started back in the late 90's with freaking Britney Spears/N Sync/Backstreet Boys garbage. And all rap these days is garbage.

All we get these days for movies is stupid remakes, sequels, unfunny comedies, fake CGI-infested action movies, and romance cringe-worthy garbage.

Everybody should just stop making movies and music until they can think of something creative and original.

The 1970's, 1980's, and the 1990's saw some great movies and music which blows me away.

Movies like Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Alien, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Terminator just aren't made anymore.

Movies and music don't have that same zest and spark to them to make them great.

However, this is all my opinion.

Discuss.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Departed, Boondock Saints, American Gangster, Spider-Man, V for Vendetta, and quite a few more came out in the 2000s. Bands - we have seen Rage Against the Machine reunite, Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, and quite a few other new bands who generally rock. You are going by your own tastes and saying the whole decade was terrible.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Back in my day, everything was perfect. All the movies and music were entertaining. And they had purpose, dammit!

You are making some very large generalizations here, bud.

Recent great movies: The Departed, Knocked Up, Superbad, Juno, No Country For Old Men

Your stance on music is very narrow minded. You seem to listen only to popular music stations (and by the way listen to "Pop" by N'Sync and you will see you are very wrong about them being garbage). Not to say that popular music can't be good. Check out Modest Mouse. Other great music from the 2000s includes (but is not limited to) LCD Soundsystem, My Morning Jacket, Justice, Of Montreal, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, The Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives. And as for rap being garbage today, check out Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, Kanye West.

Honestly, if you can find no entertainment in today's music/movies, I feel bad for you.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
+1 to Osco's rock music choices(though I can't say I'm crazy about all of them, I do think most of those bands/artists are some of the better ones around), especially Radiohead.

I suggest that you download this . It's easily one of the best albums to come out since 2000, it's a mash-up of Jay-Z's The Black Album and The Beatles' eponymous ninth studio album, better known as The White Album. The lyrical content is...OK, but seriously, any and all Beatles fans should give this a listen, The Beatles harmonizing with Jay-Z on this is interesting. You don't have to like both rock and rap to like this, but there's something on here that'll appeal to fans of either. Not as good as The White Album (though a hell of a lot better than The Black Album) of course, but it's a cool take on what they've done and modernizing them a bit. Danger Mouse, the guy who mixed this and also half of Gnarls Barkley, is an amazing producer. This came out in 2004, but really should have gotten more attention.

Other awesome bands/artists include Beck (especially if you like Radiohead), Death Cab for Cutie, Gnarls Barkley, Spoon, Thom Yorke, The Strokes, The Shins, Porcupine Tree, Enya, and PJ Harvey. I know I'm missing some, but whatever.

Movies...There Will Be Blood is pretty good, and Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead's lead guitarist) also did the soundtrack for it. And this isn't a movie, but have you watched the show Lost? Give it a look here, if you haven't.

Then there's anime/manga, and if you don't like it already, try the sticky at the top of the page, it might work, because it did for me. I still hate most of what I see in anime/manga, but there's some good stuff in there. Death Note, Monster, and Berserk are 3 very smart shows in this category that are worth a look.

Seriously, there's a lot of good stuff out there, most of it just doesn't get the airplay it should and is instead replaced with...Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, among others.

:urg:

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Lord of the Rings, Spider Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Harry Potter are great movies.

For rap you have Kanye, Eminem, and 50 cent. (I don't listen to rap much but I wouldn't say they are garbage.)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Rap: The Roots, Jedi Mind Tricks, Talib Kweli, Wu-Tang Clan, almost all rappers associated with Wu-Tang Clan, Edan.

Other music: Deerhoof, QotSA (and just about all bands associated with Queens of the Stone Age), Mogwai, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, The Unicorns, Islands, Eels, Sleater-Kinney...

Movies: There Will Be Blood, Juno, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed... Other stuff I can't be bothered to think about right now, cause I don't really watch many movies anymore.

Basically, you just don't know what you're talking about. Especially since the only movies you listed as you really liking where Lord of the Rings. Which, while theyr'e pretty good movies... Aren't exactly the best thing that's been made lately.

And you obviously know nothing about modern music, so talking about it sucking as if it's a fact is not preferable. Instead you should be trying to actually find out what's out there.

Edit: I forgot about 28 Days Later. I just watched that tonight. Pretty great movie.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Rap: The Roots, Jedi Mind Tricks, Talib Kweli, Wu-Tang Clan, almost all rappers associated with Wu-Tang Clan, Edan.

Other music: Deerhoof, QotSA (and just about all bands associated with Queens of the Stone Age), Mogwai, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, The Unicorns, Islands, Eels, Sleater-Kinney...

Movies: There Will Be Blood, Juno, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed... Other stuff I can't be bothered to think about right now, cause I don't really watch many movies anymore.

Basically, you just don't know what you're talking about. Especially since the only movies you listed as you really liking where Lord of the Rings. Which, while theyr'e pretty good movies... Aren't exactly the best thing that's been made lately.

And you obviously know nothing about modern music, so talking about it sucking as if it's a fact is not preferable. Instead you should be trying to actually find out what's out there.

Edit: I forgot about 28 Days Later. I just watched that tonight. Pretty great movie.
I am not sure if any other than the 3rd paragraph was directed at me but I feel that what you said is complete opinion. I don't understand how you can rate Sunshine/Sideways/28 Days over Harry Potter or Pirates. Juno in my opinion wasn't that great, but I can see why a lot of people like it.

And if you were saying anything about the music to me: I wouldn't exactly say Deerhoof, QotSA (and just about all bands associated with Queens of the Stone Age), Mogwai, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, The Unicorns, Islands, Eels, Sleater-Kinney represent the 00's. I haven't even heard of any of those bands except Modest/AoF/QoSA..

But this only proves both our points. The 00's aren't crappy or amazing but rather a matter of opinion. Saying that 00's are completely rubbish though is ignorant. I bet you can find AT LEAST 30 songs you enjoy from the 00's.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I am not sure if any other than the 3rd paragraph was directed at me but I feel that what you said is complete opinion. I don't understand how you can rate Sunshine/Sideways/28 Days over Harry Potter or Pirates. Juno in my opinion wasn't that great, but I can see why a lot of people like it.

And if you were saying anything about the music to me: I wouldn't exactly say Deerhoof, QotSA (and just about all bands associated with Queens of the Stone Age), Mogwai, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, The Unicorns, Islands, Eels, Sleater-Kinney represent the 00's. I haven't even heard of any of those bands except Modest/AoF/QoSA..

But this only proves both our points. The 00's aren't crappy or amazing but rather a matter of opinion. Saying that 00's are completely rubbish though is ignorant. I bet you can find AT LEAST 30 songs you enjoy from the 00's.
I can rate those movies over Harry Potter easily because I think all the Harry Potter movies were terrible. And I'm a Harry Potter fan. Pirates is totally unastounding as well. Anybody who says Pirates of the Carribean is better than 28 Days Later I just think has bad taste in movies, honestly.

And just because you've never heard of those bands means nothing. No offense but you don't seem to know much more about music than the OP anyway. I wouldn't expect you to have heard of those bands. I predict you probably don't hear of much of anything that's not pumped through the mainstream. What's more they're not supposed to "represent the 00's" they don't represent anythign except themselves and the kind of music they make. They're not generational ambassadors.

You would do well to learn more about music as well before attempting to talk about it like you're actually knowledgeable on the subject.

Edit: Also, of course it's opinion, what else would it be?

Edit 2: None of my post was directed at you either. I was responding to the OP only.

Master_Yoda77

Smash Rookie
Your post makes me lulz.

Good music is all around you...just look for it.

And movies? I just saw There Will Be Blood. Go see that movie and tell me thats not a good film...

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
All right. There have been alot of great movies and music lately.

But it just seems that there is more crap being churned out now than quality movies and music.

I am not getting that same feeling when watching a great movie of today compared to past movies.
Look at past decades again. Really closely. Investigate all the movies and music that came out in say, 1977, or whatever year and then come back and say that there's somehow "more" crap being churned out today than there was back then.

There's always crap around.

Edit: What? Why'd I put quotes around more?

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Music, if anything, is going uphill. Sure there are crappy bands like Ashlee Simpson, but I believe the music industry as a whole is moving forwards.

Movies were pretty bad in the last couple of years, but they're getting much better.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I'm surprised someone made this a topic. Movies and music have, if anything, taken great strides in the past eight years. In movies, we have had The Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter (not my favorite, but it was a huge blockbuster), Transformers, I-Robot, and oh so many more. Also, we are right now witnessing the rise of the Blu-ray disc. In music, we have the Smashing Pumpkins reuniting, Muse, Radiohead, various hip hop and rap stars(i dont listen to them so i wouldn't know their names), Green Day, and many more groundbreaking artists. You see, this decade so far has been very good in the entertainment industry. Sure, we all miss Fresh Prince and Tupac of the 90's, but it is time to move on and progress.

That little paragraph brings a tear to my eye. So beautiful............:crying:

Sarcastic sadness aside, I have made my point, so goodbye.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Great music is out there, in droves, you just have to look for it. Not very hard, either.

And like others have pointed out, you go back and look at the movies of the 70's and 80's, etc. and you'll find all sorts of garbage has been released. People just end up remembering the great ones.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
And all music today is freaking garbage. It all started back in the late 90's with freaking Britney Spears/N Sync/Backstreet Boys garbage. And all rap these days is garbage.

All we get these days for movies is stupid remakes, sequels, unfunny comedies, fake CGI-infested action movies, and romance cringe-worthy garbage.

Everybody should just stop making movies and music until they can think of something creative and original.

The 1970's, 1980's, and the 1990's saw some great movies and music which blows me away.

Movies like Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Alien, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Terminator just aren't made anymore.

Movies and music don't have that same zest and spark to them to make them great.

Discuss.
Mate, if I knew you personally, I'd shake your hand. Very very true, The problem is the marketing techniques the new decade has brought. Hype like you wouldn't believe, worshiping music stars like kings and queens. I do like NSYNC I do, but true, the music and movies from the 90s and 80s were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Good.

Hooray for the 90s!

e319

Smash Apprentice
He's gotta point about a LOT of movies nowadays, I've seen so many movies that I thought were so original until I found out that they were just remakes of older movies. A LOT of movies, but not all of them though.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Umm first, three words. BOX. OFFICE. SALES.

They definitely ARE the best movies to be made since 2000. Only close exception really is the Spider-man movies (yes, even 3), and Star Wars 2 & 3.

Seriously though, how do you say something like that when they were individually, each in the top ten box office sales OF ALL TIME?!?! And ROTK was like 2nd or third EVER!! Behind like TITANIC. Seriously, if you don't personally like them, that's fine. I don't understand why you wouldn't, but that's not important. The point is, they ARE some of the best movies EVER and not just in the past 7 years, wether you like them or not. What did they combine to top out at, something like 3 BILLION dollars??

Bendu

Smash Journeyman

They definitely ARE the best movies to be made since 2000. Only close exception really is the Spider-man movies (yes, even 3), and Star Wars 2 & 3.

Seriously though, how do you say something like that when they were individually, each in the top ten box office sales OF ALL TIME?!?! And ROTK was like 2nd or third EVER!! Behind like TITANIC. Seriously, if you don't personally like them, that's fine. I don't understand why you wouldn't, but that's not important. The point is, they ARE some of the best movies EVER and not just in the past 7 years, wether you like them or not. What did they combine to top out at, something like 3 BILLION dollars??
Lol, the only reason you can come up with for them being good is that they made a lot of money? You know nothing about films, and are simply a mainstream sap.

Maybe if you had actual reasons I'd respect your opinion. But all you can say is "BOX. OFFICE. SALES." like a true media sheep.

mario-man

Smash Lord
ok,now if something sells well it's no good. i-pods suck, tv's are dumb, food is unnecessary, and so are cars and houses O_o

Seriously man, you're probably gonna say that they only sold well because of advertising. If something is advertised well, it will sell more initially, but if it sucks or isn't amazing or necessary, then the sales will die off. Seriously man, it was in the theaters for 6+ MONTHS!! That is because people saw it and it was SOOO amazing that they told other people to see it, AND they went back multiple times. What else do you want man?!?!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
ok,now if something sells well it's no good. i-pods suck, tv's are dumb, food is unnecessary, and so are cars and houses O_o
Lol, wut? You didn't specify specific brands for anything except for iPods (and it's arguable that iPods aren't that great despite their sales.)

You're comparing Lord of the Rings to food now? I'll tell you again that you know nothing. Because you really don't. Sales don't mean anything when it comes to movies and music.

But just to show you the idiocy of your example, I'll make it an analogy. Okay, so Lord of the Rings is not analogous to food. Food is analogous to movies in general. Now, Lord of the Rings could be analogous to say, Fruit Loops, because they're both specific things within the larger category. Can Fruit Loops suck? Yes, even though they sell a lot of Fruit Loops, a lot of people don't like the taste and most nutritionists would probably agree that Fruit Loops aren't the best choice for breakfast.

I conceded already that Lord of the Rings are good movies. Sure they sold well (which has quite a lot to do with the huge budget, advertising, and the fact that it was a high profile adaptation and production.) But that doesn't mean the quality is any better than anything else just based on that.

Just stop, you can't win, you've ALREADY lost. Any sensible person knows you did after your first ignorant post.

Unless you come up with some really eloquent and good reasons, then this conversation is going nowhere. You know NOTHING.

Your ignorance is somewhat amusing. But it's going to wear thin fast. Please stop being idiotic.

Foe

Smash Journeyman

Yeah that's what I mean when I said it was opinion. I meant that the moves are more popular by sales/awards and stuff. If you look at that those movies are better. ^^

But it seems Bendu doesn't like anything main stream..? With all due respect it seems you hate mainstream somply because it is main stream.

Mario Man pretty much is saying everything I meant to say but much better wording. :p

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
But it seems Bendu doesn't like anything main stream..? With all due respect it seems you hate mainstream somply because it is main stream.
Actually you couldn't be more wrong at all. I enjoy many things that are mainstream. But I can recognize when people are completely taken in by the mainstream, don't know anything besides it, and who's only reason for supporting or liking anything is because it sells well or is in the mainstream.

Basically, you two seem to be exclusive mainstream swimmers. I swim everywhere and don't say the water in the mainstream is better just because it's there.

I weigh everything based on it's individual merits and my own tastes. Sales and popularity never enter my thought process. And anyone (like mario-man) who uses sales and popularity as the sole reason for why something is the "best" does not know what they're talking about. Period.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Lol, wut? You didn't specify specific brands for anything except for iPods (and it's arguable that iPods aren't that great despite their sales.)

You're comparing Lord of the Rings to food now? I'll tell you again that you know nothing. Because you really don't. Sales don't mean anything when it comes to movies and music.

But just to show you the idiocy of your example, I'll make it an analogy. Okay, so Lord of the Rings is not analogous to food. Food is analogous to movies in general. Now, Lord of the Rings could be analogous to say, Fruit Loops, because they're both specific things within the larger category. Can Fruit Loops suck? Yes, even though they sell a lot of Fruit Loops, a lot of people don't like the taste and most nutritionists would probably agree that Fruit Loops aren't the best choice for breakfast.

I conceded already that Lord of the Rings are good movies. Sure they sold well (which has quite a lot to do with the huge budget, advertising, and the fact that it was a high profile adaptation and production.) But that doesn't mean the quality is any better than anything else just based on that.

Just stop, you can't win, you've ALREADY lost. Any sensible person knows you did after your first ignorant post.

Unless you come up with some really eloquent and good reasons, then this conversation is going nowhere. You know NOTHING.

Your ignorance is somewhat amusing. But it's going to wear thin fast. Please stop being idiotic.
Umm, wether or not some people like the taste of fruitloops doesn't make them bad.

Excuse me, but is someone going to go see a movie(that they saw advertised) and HATE the movie, then go and tell ALL of their friends to go see it too so they can also hate it?? I don't think so. (they don't even have to hate it, as long as they don't think it's worth seeing 5-6 times) You are underestimating the amount of sales here. Sure, if something sells well, that doesn't necessarily make it good, just well advertised like you said. But when the sales reach this kind of level, it's an ENTIRELY different story. Good or even great advertising would not have produced this amount of results unless the movie itself was purely amazing, and people went back 3 or 4 times to see it, per movie!! I'm still not sure you're grasping the amount of sales. Again, once sales reach this level, it's a different story. Once again for good measure, I am NOT saying that you are wrong when you say that something is not necessarily good if it sells well, but when the sales reach a certain level, it can no longer be blamed on advertising, but instead, the quality of the thing.

EDIT: and no, you are wrong. i, MYSELF, think it is one of the best movies ever. I love it!! I'm not just following the mainstream just to do it. That WOULD be stupid.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Umm, wether or not some people like the taste of fruitloops doesn't make them bad.

Excuse me, but is someone going to go see a movie(that they saw advertised) and HATE the movie, then go and tell ALL of their friends to go see it too so they can also hate it?? I don't think so. (they don't even have to hate it, as long as they don't think it's worth seeing 5-6 times) You are underestimating the amount of sales here. Sure, if something sells well, that doesn't necessarily make it good, just well advertised like you said. But when the sales reach this kind of level, it's an ENTIRELY different story. Good or even great advertising would not have produced this amount of results unless the movie itself was purely amazing, and people went back 3 or 4 times to see it, per movie!! I'm still not sure you're grasping the amount of sales. Again, once sales reach this level, it's a different story. Once again for good measure, I am NOT saying that you are wrong when you say that something is not necessarily good if it sells well, but when the sales reach a certain level, it can no longer be blamed on advertising, but instead, the quality of the thing.

EDIT: and no, you are wrong. i, MYSELF, think it is one of the best movies ever. I love it!! I'm not just following the mainstream just to do it. That WOULD be stupid.
Please get this through your head: Sales mean nothing.

Use real reasons and maybe we can have a real discussion. My point about Fruit Loops isn't that they really are bad (I love Fruit Loops) but that sales are not the reason they're either bad or good.

SALES MEAN NOTHING. Tell me why YOU think it's a good movie, instead of spouting sales figure nonsense like a moron.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Please get this through your head: Sales mean nothing.

Use real reasons and maybe we can have a real discussion. My point about Fruit Loops isn't that they really are bad (I love Fruit Loops) but that sales are not the reason they're either bad or good.

SALES MEAN NOTHING. Tell me why YOU think it's a good movie, instead of spouting sales figure nonsense like a moron.
Okay, instead of making this into a flame war because I disagree with you, I'm going to answer your question ok?? lol good

I think it is an amzing movie for a few reasons: 1st, because the books are simply incredible and the movie does just about as good a job following the books as is possible within reasonable bounds.

I love the actor choice, the music is epic, and the actors are VERY good at understanding the setting of the books and fitting the parts as best as they can. It isn't too slow moving, plenty of action and all other qualities needed to be considered a great movie. i.e. it depends on what you like in movies. if it is something you like to have (romance, storyline, action, comedy) it's all in there.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, instead of making this into a flame war because I disagree with you, I'm going to answer your question ok?? lol good

I think it is an amzing movie for a few reasons: 1st, because the books are simply incredible and the movie does just about as good a job following the books as is possible within reasonable bounds.

I love the actor choice, the music is epic, and the actors are VERY good at understanding the setting of the books and fitting the parts as best as they can. It isn't too slow moving, plenty of action and all other qualities needed to be considered a great movie. i.e. it depends on what you like in movies. if it is something you like to have (romance, storyline, action, comedy) it's all in there.
There, was that so hard?

Now, pay attention. Because the same reason's why you think the movie are why other people probably think the movie is good. And as a result it sold. The popularity isn't the reason why it's good. There are reasons why it's good, but it's not popularity. Saying that it's "the best" because it sold a lot is incorrect because that's not what makes it good. There are reasons (that you just listed) for why people think it was a good movie.

So next time, when somebody says they don't think a movie is good you don't say "But everybody likes it!" because that makes you look stupid. You give real, legitimate reasons why you think they're wrong.

Have I made my point yet?

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah kind of. I'm still confused though. I think you may have misstated it before, because I was NOT saying that it was a good movie because it sold well. I was saying that that is proof that it was a good movie, because people wanted to see it many times. It is a good movie for my reasons above as you said.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah kind of. I'm still confused though. I think you may have misstated it before, because I was NOT saying that it was a good movie because it sold well. I was saying that that is proof that it was a good movie, because people wanted to see it many times. It is a good movie for my reasons above as you said.
Either way I didn't misstate anything either. Because it's not proof that it's a good movie either.

Britney Spears sold an awful lot of albums, is that proof that she's good?

Of course not. My point stands whether you cite it as a reason itself or as proof, which aren't much different.

mario-man

Smash Lord
You may be right on that about the reason or proof.

I do have to say though, you cannot deny the fact that only VERY few movies have ever topped a billion dollars in sales for each movie in a trilogy. I'm guessing Star Wars did but I'm not particularly sure about that.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You don't get the same feeling because you don't watch the crappy movies of the 70s-90s, just like how people in 2010 won't be watching "Snow Dogs" or any other crap like that. You were probably born in the late 80s to early 90s, which means that you haven't been old enough to actually appreciate movies from anywhere before the 2000s. Any generation has their slumps, they're just not remembered afterwards.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
HAI GUISE WATS GOIN ON IN DIS THREAD?!

On music, I agree with OP in a way (stress on in a way). Modern mainstream music is terrible. I can't listen to the radio for 5 minutes without wanting to leave the room (seeing as the only time I'm exposed to it is at work, retorting "WELL WHY DON'T YOU?" is easier said than done). It's so bad I bring my own iPod and speakers to listen to in my little area while the rest of staff keeps hearing songs like "Piece of Me", "Bleeding Love" and "Crank That" every half an hour. Mainstream music in this decade is hideous.

On movies, the only criticism I have isn't really criticism at all, it's mostly just an observation which has already been touched on a bit in this thread. The concept of a movie made from scratch (if you will) is getting rarer, these days. Most movies these days are, like others have said, remakes of old movies or based on literature. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact the recent movie Stardust, which is based on the 1998 Neil Gaiman novel of the same name, is one of my favourite movies. However, another of my favourite movies is American Beauty; an original film not based on anything but the ideas of a writer. I'd like to see more movies like that come out.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I hate about the 2000s so far is the Napoleon Dynamite factor Where now a days almost every commercial is so posed to be stupid funny where they just do random stuff and think people think its funny. It sucks look at that new Dunkin' donuts commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y_GwKzxck it makes me wanna die I mean come on ugly people singing about stupid names then wondering if its Fritalian

The Napoleon Dynamite factor is the worst thing about the 2000s

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
You don't get the same feeling because you don't watch the crappy movies of the 70s-90s, just like how people in 2010 won't be watching "Snow Dogs" or any other crap like that. You were probably born in the late 80s to early 90s, which means that you haven't been old enough to actually appreciate movies from anywhere before the 2000s. Any generation has their slumps, they're just not remembered afterwards.
Hahah, I agree with you. While, I dislike some of the ****ty yet popular main stream crap, I'm sure there are a few gems under the piles of crap, some have been acknowledged such as the movies people have mentioned but I suppose we'll have to see what survives the test of time in 2010.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I agree with Eor.

And there's been some great movies in 2000. Cloverfield's one of the more recent ones that I thought was amazing. A Beautiful Mind's an early 2000's movie that hasn't been mentioned(my roomie just watched it the other day)that was amazing.

Also, some cult classics of today didn't even do well when they were first released(Office Space and Blade Runner, for example), so box office sales don't always mean much, and it shows that good movies can have the opportunity to finally shine amidst all the crap.

Sporkman

Smash Ace

To showcase but a few. Stop being cynical. Eors right about the heuristic by the way. Let me tell you, there was ALOT of **** for entertainment back then too. You see there are "some great movies" from the 2000s, and music, that or you have crap taste. But if you've got the balls and think you know best go watch Smashing Time. Same decade as The Good, The Bad and the Ugly I'll have you know.

Also CK, opening with The Departed probably wasn't the greatest idea after the OP said all movies are remakes etc.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
And all rap these days is garbage.
A very poor generalisation. I agree mainstream hip hop can at times seem redundant and overplayed. But like people have said if you look in the right places you will find quality.

Personally I recommend Mood Muzik 3 by Joe Budden. The man speaks the truth.

Top Bottom