• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 20 Costume Project [27/41] **UPDATE - Pikachu Completed

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
The compression wouldn't be noticeable when playing on a Wii.
While the compression is masked with the Wii's 480p/i resolution, it is far from unnoticeable.

Not particularly, the original image we obtained for the Awakening CSP loses a lot of said quality when using the CMPR format due to a lot of stray pixels and transparency with the hair etc. Since sc_selcharacter.pac will be taking essentially more than double the original amount of CSPs with this pack there isnt much I can do about this problem even with the size limit expansion code. Like I said, this is mainly intended for console so it isn't really a problem so much for Wii users, unless someone wants to make an HD pack. Ondo's code may work with this but considering the majority of the CSPs I've edited thus far have been off ones that have already been compressed via CMPR I would have to re-do a lot of my work.
Well you could always cut the CSPs down to 128x148 (I believe you need to retain the original dimensions, just leave the last 12 pixels transparent) before you import them, as the bottom part of the character portrait isn't shown in-game. Perhaps with C-stick tilting, might need confirmation on that end. 12 pixels off every portrait would save a significant amount of space.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Well you could always cut the CSPs down to 128x148 (I believe you need to retain the original dimensions, just leave the last 12 pixels transparent) before you import them, as the bottom part of the character portrait isn't shown in-game. Perhaps with C-stick tilting, might need confirmation on that end. 12 pixels off every portrait would save a significant amount of space.
That's a good suggestion. Though those bottom parts do show up in the results screen portraits. I can't make any promises as to how I am going to sort this out until the code is done and I can compile said CSPs into the game to find out how much space we need.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The compression wouldn't be noticeable when playing on a Wii.
While the compression is masked with the Wii's 480p/i resolution, it is far from unnoticeable.
^ This! I definitely notice a major difference...

That's a good suggestion. Though those bottom parts do show up in the results screen portraits. I can't make any promises as to how I am going to sort this out until the code is done and I can compile said CSPs into the game to find out how much space we need.
^ But as far as these go:

Just use Ondo's Shared Data CI8 CSP method on some original, uncompressed CSPs. For my build, I'm making 2 sets of CSPs, one set for the CSS with the name section removed from it, all converted into RGB5A3 palettes to save space yet make the CSPs look ridic-to-the-hiculous, the other is for the RSPs, which has the same shared RGB5A3 palettes, but without the portrait cut-off. So you get the full portrait things. They make for some very pretty things. And if you've never used CI8 CSPs... your eyes... will be opened.

So far I've done this for Zelda, Marth aaaaaaaaaaaaand... Sheik. I don't have all 20 costumes done for them yet, mind. (Waiting on IWG to finish some HW alts) But as I go I'm replacing things with things that I'm gonna end up using in my final build anyway.

Actually, if you want, send me some OG CSPs without all the nastiness and I'll convert them into usable palettes, for both the CSS and Results Screen. You'll find you save every bit of space ever. And I've set myself up so it's really simple to do these things.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Like I said Amazerommu Amazerommu a lot of the CSPs in here have already been compressed into CMPR and thus would have to be remade if we are going for a higher quality. Most of these are photoshopped off the PM renders and are not separately rendered in a 3D program and thus it takes hours to finish all of them to match with the Brawl/PM aesthetic. The sc_selcharacter.pac for this project will be twice as large as a normal pack as it requires 20 CSPs per character so I'm not sure if CI8 quality will have a high enough compression to fit all of these, even with Ondo's code. I'll cross that bridge once the code is out and its feasibly possible to test what options we have.

Regardless, the main problem is the fact that all of these were built off CMPR compressed CSPs and not higher quality ones for the sake of convenience so I do not have any "uncompressed" versions of the majority of these portraits. A large portion of my work was completed before I was aware of Ondo's project and a lot of the pre-made CSPs that I was provided with were already compressed with CMPR quality and since I have to make over 800 portraits I could save a lot more time not having to recolour more CSPs at a higher quality if someone has already done the work for me.

If anyone wants to pick up the challenge of reediting them once this project is done you can be my guest but in the foreseeable future I do not have the time to redo 200+ CSPs.

Last edited:

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
Roy is finished!
The Awakening color for PM Roy doesn't work whatsoever, and the white alt has some areas where it is read as grey. To fix that, try making the base have completely different colors between the armor, shirt, pants, headband, and the sword hilt (so the colors don't mix), then have all of the costumes (even the first) be recolors of that base (so you can differentiate for the Awakening PM Roy,White, and Light Blue alts)

D

Deleted member

Not particularly, the original image we obtained for the Awakening CSP loses a lot of said quality when using the CMPR format due to a lot of stray pixels and transparency with the hair etc. Since sc_selcharacter.pac will be taking essentially more than double the original amount of CSPs with this pack there isnt much I can do about this problem even with the size limit expansion code. Like I said, this is mainly intended for console so it isn't really a problem so much for Wii users, unless someone wants to make an HD pack. Ondo's code may work with this but considering the majority of the CSPs I've edited thus far have been off ones that have already been compressed via CMPR I would have to re-do a lot of my work.
There's a size limit expansion code? Where?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Like I said Amazerommu Amazerommu a lot of the CSPs in here have already been compressed into CMPR and thus would have to be remade if we are going for a higher quality. Most of these are photoshopped off the PM renders and are not separately rendered in a 3D program and thus it takes hours to finish all of them to match with the Brawl/PM aesthetic. The sc_selcharacter.pac for this project will be twice as large as a normal pack as it requires 20 CSPs per character so I'm not sure if CI8 quality will have a high enough compression to fit all of these, even with Ondo's code. I'll cross that bridge once the code is out and its feasibly possible to test what options we have.

Regardless, the main problem is the fact that all of these were built off CMPR compressed CSPs and not higher quality ones for the sake of convenience so I do not have any "uncompressed" versions of the majority of these portraits. A large portion of my work was completed before I was aware of Ondo's project and a lot of the pre-made CSPs that I was provided with were already compressed with CMPR quality and since I have to make over 800 portraits I could save a lot more time not having to recolour more CSPs at a higher quality if someone has already done the work for me.

If anyone wants to pick up the challenge of reediting them once this project is done you can be my guest but in the foreseeable future I do not have the time to redo 200+ CSPs.
CI8 CSPs using the shared palettes actually takes up less space (a lot less) than using CMPR compression. You get the best of both worlds! High quality and more room for more CSPs, especially for some of your costumes that have 10 recolors. Those would save tons of space. So it'd immediately fix your potential space issue, and has the bonus of better looking CSPs...

On the note of higher quality thingies... I could find some original renders of the PM stuff (maybe) but I wouldn't be able to do the recolors as my photoshop skills are the succ. It'd be up to you, but I say I'd rather start now and save time and a potential headache later if/when space becomes an issue, and again I do offer to help if I can, especially since this is most likely where a lot of costumes in my own personal build will be coming from. huehueh

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
The Awakening color for PM Roy doesn't work whatsoever, and the white alt has some areas where it is read as grey. To fix that, try making the base have completely different colors between the armor, shirt, pants, headband, and the sword hilt (so the colors don't mix), then have all of the costumes (even the first) be recolors of that base (so you can differentiate for the Awakening PM Roy,White, and Light Blue alts)
The White Colour has grey parts on the armour and headband; it's not a problem with the compression of the CSP. Also, I don't like the way that you're wording the Awakening colours as not working as if it's a fact and that it's something to be "fixed". You may not aesthetically agree with the style Moe has chosen for his recolours but it is the design that I have chosen to include in this pack. I am all for a critical evaluation of my own recolours but this work was not made by me and the way you worded your response did not offer any appropriate feedback outside of "it doesn't work because I don't like it". There are other, more conservative choices on Brawl Vault that you find will follow your particular desire more clearly if you wish.
There's a size limit expansion code? Where?
Pyotr made an alpha version, go ask him on Discord if you want.
CI8 CSPs using the shared palettes actually takes up less space (a lot less) than using CMPR compression. You get the best of both worlds! High quality and more room for more CSPs, especially for some of your costumes that have 10 recolors. Those would save tons of space. So it'd immediately fix your potential space issue, and has the bonus of better looking CSPs...

On the note of higher quality thingies... I could find some original renders of the PM stuff (maybe) but I wouldn't be able to do the recolors as my photoshop skills are the succ. It'd be up to you, but I say I'd rather start now and save time and a potential headache later if/when space becomes an issue, and again I do offer to help if I can, especially since this is most likely where a lot of costumes in my own personal build will be coming from. huehueh
I've been told that it saves space yeah, it may be an option I pursue when the time comes. For the time being though, I will be progressing with my current quality standard as it is what I have access to and it is what I am often given when I am presented with new colours for characters. I understand if people are looking for higher quality images but I am fine with this standard at this current time as I am already a quarter way through with this level of quality. I am not apposed to said higher level of quality, but I know it would be a huge pain to go back on what I've already done, especially since I've already half completed a lot of the characters that aren't on this thread already.

Last edited:

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
Also, I don't like the way that you're wording the Awakening colours as not working as if it's a fact and that it's something to be "fixed". You may not aesthetically agree with the style Moe has chosen for his recolours but it is the design that I have chosen to include in this pack. I am all for a critical evaluation of my own recolours but this work was not made by me and the way you worded your response did not offer any appropriate feedback outside of "it doesn't work because I don't like it".
What I meant was that compared to his 3.6 Awakening color (http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/3/3d/Roy_Palette_(PM).png), the shirt in your build is black, compared to the purple that's used in PM 3.6. If you made edits to the pac files, disregard this, but I asked because I am assuming you are using all of the original PM outfits.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
What I meant was that compared to his 3.6 Awakening color (http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/3/3d/Roy_Palette_(PM).png), the shirt in your build is black, compared to the purple that's used in PM 3.6. If you made edits to the pac files, disregard this, but I asked because I am assuming you are using all of the original PM outfits.
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then. The 3.6 PM Awakening colour has been removed and the colour you're referring to is a new one. Versions beyond 3.6 removed said Awakening recolour to put in the Awakening Vertex Costume so I've done the same.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I've been told that it saves space yeah, it may be an option I pursue when the time comes. For the time being though, I will be progressing with my current quality standard as it is what I have access to and it is what I am often given when I am presented with new colours for characters. I understand if people are looking for higher quality images but I am fine with this standard at this current time as I am already a quarter way through with this level of quality. I am not apposed to said higher level of quality, but I know it would be a huge pain to go back on what I've already done, especially since I've already half completed a lot of the characters that aren't on this thread already.
In that case, I will continue using the shared data method for my own CSPs, any of your costumes that I use (I'll most likely use all of the Awakening Roy recolors for example (and probably Kirby if I can get a hold of the original Epic Yarn CSP) I'll have those available if you decide you want to switch to using the shared palettes or whatever. It'd at least save you that bit of work.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then. The 3.6 PM Awakening colour has been removed and the colour you're referring to is a new one. Versions beyond 3.6 removed said Awakening recolour to put in the Awakening Vertex Costume so I've done the same.
And I was never a big fan of this default Awakening recolor anyway. It was... very off lol

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Ganondorf is finished!

Costume No.|Costume Na.|Made By|Recoloured By|Description
1|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Ganondorf's Default Costume
2|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
3 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
4 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
5 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
6|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Spaceworld 2000
7|Brawl Design|N/A|Star|Original Design
8|Brawl Design|N/A|BlazingFlare|Original Design
9|Brawl Design|N/A|Xenozoa425, Star|Original Design
10|Brawl Design|N/A|Shun_One, Star|Based off Zant
11|Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Ocarina of Time Default Costume
12|Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
13 [BLUE] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
14 [GREEN] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
15 [RED] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
16|Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Pig Design Default Costume
17|Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
18 [BLUE] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
19 [GREEN] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
20 [RED] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design

Hot off the press with the new Pig Ganon costume. Shoutouts to Nanobuds' and Cordell Felix's awesome work.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I was worried that Pig Ganon wasn't even going to get released, and then out of nowhere it appears looking better than I could have ever hoped. Great choice for the final costume.

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is finished!

1|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Ganondorf's Default Costume
2|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
3 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
4 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
5 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
6|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Spaceworld 2000
7|Brawl Design|N/A|Star|Original Design
8|Brawl Design|N/A|BlazingFlare|Original Design
9|Brawl Design|N/A|Xenozoa425, Star|Original Design
10|Brawl Design|N/A|Shun_One, Star|Based off Zant
11|Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Ocarina of Time Default Costume
12|Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
13 [BLUE] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
14 [GREEN] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
15 [RED] |Ocarina of Time|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
16|Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Pig Design Default Costume
17|Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
18 [BLUE] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
19 [GREEN] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design
20 [RED] |Pig Design|Cordell Felix, Nanobuds|N/A|Original Design

Hot off the press with the new Pig Ganon costume. Shoutouts to Nanobuds' and Cordell Felix's awesome work.
Holy Shiitake Mushrooms!

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see where this project goes. Hopefully it's far. In fact I'd say that this build of 3.6, containing 20 outfits for each character, is the next step in the PM scene with the 3.6 version being the last official release.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Yoshi is now finished!

1 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Yoshi's Default Costume
2 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|A Red Yoshi
3 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|A Blue Yoshi
4|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|A Yellow Yoshi
5|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|A Pink Yoshi
6|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|A Cyan Yoshi
7|Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT|A Black Yoshi
8|Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT|A White Yoshi
9|Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT|A Purple Yoshi
10|Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT|An Orange Yoshi
11 [GREEN] |Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Woolly World Default Costume
12 [RED] |Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
13 [BLUE] |Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
14|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
15|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
16|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
17|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
18|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
19|Woolly World|Taigiry|N/A|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
20|Woolly World|Taigiry|Star|Based on Brawl Yoshi Counterpart
A big thank you to Zevarus for the renders of Yarn Yoshi!

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Some criticism:

- The purple Yoshi has some discoloration around the eyes and bottom of the nose.

- One thing to keep in mind between different CSP sets is relative size; the Yarn Yoshi is noticeably larger/closer than the Brawl costume. You've managed to maintain a good size consistency throughout your other CSPs (aside from Young ZSS and maybe Casino Luigi, but that one isn't too off), however the difference here might look a bit off when cycling through from default to alt costumes, or when a Brawl Yoshi fights a Yarn Yoshi - in the RSPs especially.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Some criticism:

- The purple Yoshi has some discoloration around the eyes and bottom of the nose.

- One thing to keep in mind between different CSP sets is relative size; the Yarn Yoshi is noticeably larger/closer than the Brawl costume. You've managed to maintain a good size consistency throughout your other CSPs (aside from Young ZSS and maybe Casino Luigi, but that one isn't too off), however the difference here might look a bit off when cycling through from default to alt costumes, or when a Brawl Yoshi fights a Yarn Yoshi - in the RSPs especially.
Thanks for the pointers Chip, I've fixed up both of those problems.

I've also gone back and fixed Peach's Dark Purple Queen CSP and all five of Toon Link's Hylian CSPs have been re-rendered with new lighting to match his other two costumes.

Last edited:

NN7

Smash Rookie
NNID
ase798

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
I just found this project, and it's a great concept. However, I'm unaware of the function of slots 11-20 that they cannot override other characters. This could be great feature for Legacy XP. One note on my taste, I feel that some alts could be swapped with more recognizable or reasonable ones (e.g. Ice Mario).

Last edited:

Shren

Smash Journeyman
I just found this project, and it's a great concept. However, I'm unaware of the function of slots 11-20 that they cannot override other characters. This could be great feature for Legacy XP.
The code is probably still being worked on like the list of costumes for each character like in the op said.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I just found this project, and it's a great concept. However, I'm unaware of the function of slots 11-20 that they cannot override other characters. This could be great feature for Legacy XP. One note on my taste, I feel that some alts could be swapped with more recognizable or reasonable ones (e.g. Ice Mario).
The way that it works is that costumes 11 and beyond are redirected to an external brres past 41 (Sonic). Also, Marth will be out today.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Marth is finished!

1|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Marth's Default Costume
2 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Enemy Units
3 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Other Units
4|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
5|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
6 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|FE3 Design
7|Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT| Original Design
8|Brawl Design|N/A|RoboticCyborg, Star|Original Design (Mango)
9|Brawl Design|N/A|Xenosoa425, Star|Original Design (Mars)
10|Brawl Design|N/A|Shun_One, Star|Original Design
11|Hooded Cloak|Bizzozeron|N/A|Hooded Cloak Default Costume
12 [RED] |Hooded Cloak|Bizzozeron|Star|Based of Akihiko from Persona 4 Arena
13 [GREEN] |Hooded Cloak|Bizzozeron|Star|Loosely inspired by Linkle from Hyrule Warriors
14 [BLUE] |Hooded Cloak|Bizzozeron|Star|Based on Malfestio Armour from Monster Hunter
15|Hooded Cloak|Bizzozeron|Star|Based on the Anti-Cloak from Kingdom Hearts 3D
16|Sigurd Armour|PMDT|N/A|Sigurd Armour Default Costume
17 [RED] |Sigurd Armour|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
18 [GREEN] |Sigurd Armour|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
19 [BLUE] |Sigurd Armour|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
20|Sigurd Armour|PMDT|Star|Based on White Mages/Ezio from Assassin's Creed
Special Thanks to ledgerewskie for the render of Hooded Marth!

You have no idea how painful it was to recolour those Hooded Marth CSPs.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure @ledgerewskie who made those Hooded Marth renders would have been able to do that for you if you asked nicely, or I for him (as I also have the render).

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
:eek: Did he not ask for permission to use something for a public build?!
Unless I know the creator personally, I will not ask them to render them myself but I will edit the CSPs in Photoshop manually. They do not owe me any favours so it would be rude to ask them unless they offered themselves. Either way, I was not aware ledgerewskie rendered this as no credit for that was included in the download; I have credited him appropriately now in my post.

Most of the costumes in this build have been implemented without asking specific permissions from people. The creators of all the different recolours and costumes span over dozens of people and 7 years of Brawl Modding so sometimes it's almost impossible or really inconvenient to have to PM each and every person. This is why I've credited all relevant people as to avoid a situation where I can be called out for stealing peoples work.

I respect any mod on Brawl Vault that has a clause that asks people not to include it in builds or for it not to edited, and if anyone has any problem with their mod being in my pack that's fine too.

Last edited:

medicon

Smash Rookie
I kinda consider my Kirby a pocket, but I'm not a big fan of the Epic Yarn alt. Personally, in my own custom build, I use Fighter Kirby. It also has some recolors, but I'm not sure if you would want to use them. I just prefer it over Yarn Kirby (the transparency is the problem I think)

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I kinda consider my Kirby a pocket, but I'm not a big fan of the Epic Yarn alt. Personally, in my own custom build, I use Fighter Kirby. It also has some recolors, but I'm not sure if you would want to use them. I just prefer it over Yarn Kirby (the transparency is the problem I think)
Fighter Kirby is almost identical to normal Kirby, so there would be confusion in team battles, especially considering the headband gets masked once a copy power hat is put on.

Last edited:

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
First, I'd like to say that I really like to see what you are doing! You have done a fantastic work so far! Congratulations!

However I have a question: are you planning to make this as official-looking as possible or is this just something that you are making for your scene and that you simply share. If not the last thing, I have some advises:

-I don't think that the original shadow queen design fits as a red team costume. So, for the red recolor of Shadow Queen, I propose something inspired by Kuro's fire shadow queen recolor (http://i.imgur.com/IjwWjfK.png), which would replace the dark purple one.

-I saw that Moe did recolor Beta Knight's sword depending on the color of the character's model. However, was this really necessary? You could have include something like what the Smash 3C Team did: https://i.imgur.com/wCHu8gk.png

-Why Dark Toon Link is replaced with a simple black tunic Toon Link? Also, Conductor Link would have been more appropriate than the Hylian Tunic Toon Link.

-The Awakening Roy recolors look a bit... off. But that may just be me.

-I found nice recolors of Jet Set Sonic that could be taken for inspiration: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208719

-The Pikmin Cosplay for Captain Falcon doesn't look as "official' as the other ones, yet I love it and I don't know with what it could be replaced... except maybe GX Falcon, but it could look too similar to Brawl Falcon... (http://imgur.com/a/tuZzH)

Top Bottom