• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 10 characters you most fear/dislike playing against online

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Super heavyweights nowadays qualify as braindead and easy to win with.
What a time to be alive.
Super heavyweights also have an easier time online because they don’t have to be as tight with their inputs as combo heavy characters in a laggy environment. They have a larger frame window to mess up and still hit

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Super heavyweights also have an easier time online because they don’t have to be as tight with their inputs as combo heavy characters in a laggy environment. They have a larger frame window to mess up and still hit
By "frame window", do you mean hitbox duration/active frames?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I mean they have less of a penalty for dropped frames and lag than combo heavy characters do
I'd actually argue that the heavyweights are actually hurt slightly more by a singular dropped or delayed input than the lightweights; the heavyweights are generally more sluggish than the lightweights, so any additional delay on top of their already-laggy attacks is more of a pain than additional delay on an attack that is quicker to come out once the input for it is registered. However, a delayed attack that happens to be the middle of a string just might ruin the remainder of the combo after it, and in this respect, I agree that combo-centric "quantity over quality" characters are hurt more by online lag than "quality over quantity" characters (e.g. heavyweights). In any average match, there will be far more opportunities for input lag to screw with a combo character than a heavy-hitter, given that the combo character will be attacking more often.

TL;DR: Online lag is more of a nuisance at any given interaction for already-sluggish characters, since they're already struggling to make their attacks count, but it's considerably worse over the course of an entire match for speedy characters, since they have to deal with input slowdown more frequently.

endikam

Smash Rookie
Hmmm... I haven't really thought about this, but I guess...

:ultyounglink::ultlink:: I always have to assume they're spammers who will stick to the far end of the stage and throw everything, repositioning if I get too close. I don't get mad (if anything, I get mad at myself for falling for these tactics), but it is tiresome.
:ultchrom:: I don't know why, but these guys have the highest amount of teabaggers. Doesn't matter if they're good or bad, they WILL teabag. (It isn't ALL of them, but at this point I've garnered some prejudice against Chrom users, irrational as it may be)
:ultpalutena:: Palutena always gives me trouble with her aerial attacks and zoning. That's it, that's all she needs to make me fear her users (who somehow tend to be very skilled).
:ultcloud:: Neutral B > Cross-Slash > Spam Neutral B at the ledge. Not even mad at it, just kind of annoying.
:ultpeach::ultdaisy:: Whenever I encounter one of these, they are ALWAYS godlike, reading all my moves and edgeguarding with their turnips like crazy. Fun to fight tho.
And finally...
:ultincineroar:: Yeah, everyone says he sucks, but their mains know how to make those 3 hits they land per stock count. If I'm playing a light character, I can kiss my stock goodbye if I make just two mistakes.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I'd argue the opposite:
Heavies rely on reads, and one lost frame can screw up the timing.
Combo chars on the other hand can buffer their combo input, meaning a list frame can be ignored if the buffer is there.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I'd argue the opposite:
Combo chars on the other hand can buffer their combo input, meaning a list frame can be ignored if the buffer is there.
True but I still think characters that are super precise have a harder time adjusting to a laggy game. I’m not saying one or two dropped frames in the entire game, but you know one of those games where the entire game just lags because your opponents Internet is terrible? I mean everyone has trouble adjusting to that but heavies don’t have to execute as complex of inputs in unfamiliar conditions

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd argue the opposite:
True but I still think characters that are super precise have a harder time adjusting to a laggy game. I’m not saying one or two dropped frames in the entire game, but you know one of those games where the entire game just lags because your opponents Internet is terrible? I mean everyone has trouble adjusting to that but heavies don’t have to execute as complex of inputs in unfamiliar conditions
That's literally what I just said... Heavies are generally hurt more by any given single delayed or dropped input, since they're already at a disadvantage in terms of speed, but the combo characters have more dropped or delayed inputs over the course of a match, so they end up being screwed over more by online lag because all of the little inconveniences, screwups, and missed opportunities add up.

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Samus- Triple projectile nightmare
Ike- Those hit boxes are t h i c c
Pichu- annoyingly lagless but manageable
Corrin- "Wait she can reverse kick?"
Sonic- More a spammy death circle than Sonic
The Links(especially Young)- a r r o w s
K. Rool- Pretty easy but I've never seen a nice/chill K. Rool. Always teabagging
Incineroar, Pkmn Trainer, Ivysaur, and Mario- Who approved these annoying voice lines?
Mario again- "How did that kill me?"
Belmonts- Samus, but whip.
Cloud- Ike but lasers

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
That's literally what I just said... Heavies are generally hurt more by any given single delayed or dropped input, since they're already at a disadvantage in terms of speed, but the combo characters have more dropped or delayed inputs over the course of a match, so they end up being screwed over more by online lag because all of the little inconveniences, screwups, and missed opportunities add up.
Oh word, I’m sorry, I haven’t been reading right today. Running on four hours of sleep

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Snake is obnoxious to fight against.

I feel like I can handle everyone else but Snake frustrates me.

grizby2

Smash Lord
:ultmarth::ultlucina:
for me its definitely marth and Lucina. I see these two and i say "oh, here we go.."
they're hard to punish if they can space their fairs and nairs right to avoid the grab on shield. side B is stupid easy damage and fair kills early against characters with poor recovery. I love a good marth and Lucina fight, but man as far as moveset frame data goes, they should just admit that they have it good XD.

I went up against a marth that would literally , L I T E R A L L Y, just stand and jump in a single spot and wait for me to approach, only for me to be met with an aerial. I had to use UP B as game&watch as OPENER! it was the only move I could catch him with! its as if he didn't want to play the game!

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mirroring a prior statement, I hate fighting Snakes who love dropping grenades everywhere. Turns out it's hard to fight when the stage keeps exploding.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:ultbowser: - This character is way too fast for how strong he is. It’s really annoying getting speed-blitzed by a superheavy.

:ulticeclimbers: - I never know which of these assholes is the one I’m supposed to attack, and when I figure it out the other starts smacking me, at which point the first one comes over and they start doing MvC combos on me.

:ultganondorf: - It’s always fun getting walled out by a seemingly impenetrable wall of neutral airs by a character that can casually kill you at 60%.

:ultkrool: - Super Armor is not a good mechanic to base a character around. It’s an especially bad idea when said character also has two decent projectiles, very strong attacks, and a recovery that’s disproportionally good for his weight class.

:ultkingdedede: - I don’t actively hate dealing with Dedede, but damn he’s a snoozefest to fight.

:ultmegaman: - I swear after fighting Mega Man I hear “bleep bleep bleep” in my dreams that night.

:ultmetaknight: - Or Discount Bayonetta, as I like to call him. I don’t think I’ve ever fought a Meta Knight who didn’t play exactly the same as the one before him. Fish for dash attack or down throw, then go for the flowchart strings.

:ultgnw: - I have no ****ing clue how to fight this outline. Sure, he dies from a gust of wind, but it feels like his moves have comically huge hitboxes and incredible strength. And let’s talk about Fire, which is pretty much the second coming of Witch Twist.

:ultridley: - I would be completely fine with Ridley if it weren’t for two things: his neutral air and his goddamn command grab.

:ultsonic: - It’s really quite amazing how this character has consistently remained cancerous since his introduction into Smash.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Samus- Triple projectile nightmare
Ike- Those hit boxes are t h i c c
Pichu- annoyingly lagless but manageable
Corrin- "Wait she can reverse kick?"
Sonic- More a spammy death circle than Sonic
The Links(especially Young)- a r r o w s
K. Rool- Pretty easy but I've never seen a nice/chill K. Rool. Always teabagging
Incineroar, Pkmn Trainer, Ivysaur, and Mario- Who approved these annoying voice lines?
Mario again- "How did that kill me?"
Belmonts- Samus, but whip.
Cloud- Ike but lasers
We win against like half of these characters or more, but I understand lmao

And of course K. Rool’s teabag. Think of the kind of character K. Rool is and then think of the kind of person who would pick that kind of character lol

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
:ultbowser: - This character is way too fast for how strong he is. It’s really annoying getting speed-blitzed by a superheavy.

:ulticeclimbers: - I never know which of these ******** is the one I’m supposed to attack, and when I figure it out the other starts smacking me, at which point the first one comes over and they start doing MvC combos on me.

:ultganondorf: - It’s always fun getting walled out by a seemingly impenetrable wall of neutral airs by a character that can casually kill you at 60%.

:ultkrool: - Super Armor is not a good mechanic to base a character around. It’s an especially bad idea when said character also has two decent projectiles, very strong attacks, and a recovery that’s disproportionally good for his weight class.

:ultkingdedede: - I don’t actively hate dealing with Dedede, but damn he’s a snoozefest to fight.

:ultmegaman: - I swear after fighting Mega Man I hear “bleep bleep bleep” in my dreams that night.

:ultmetaknight: - Or Discount Bayonetta, as I like to call him. I don’t think I’ve ever fought a Meta Knight who didn’t play exactly the same as the one before him. Fish for dash attack or down throw, then go for the flowchart strings.

:ultgnw: - I have no ****ing clue how to fight this outline. Sure, he dies from a gust of wind, but it feels like his moves have comically huge hitboxes and incredible strength. And let’s talk about Fire, which is pretty much the second coming of Witch Twist.

:ultridley: - I would be completely fine with Ridley if it weren’t for two things: his neutral air and his goddamn command grab.

:ultsonic: - It’s really quite amazing how this character has consistently remained cancerous since his introduction into Smash.
I liked your post solely for your way of writing. My favorite: "flowchart strings"

In all fairness though, while K Rool sports strong recovery and sa, his frame data is pretty bad.

Last edited:

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Online it depends who I'm playing...

As Duck Hunt...

1. Any sword character

As Game and Watch...

2. Any super heavy (except K.Rool, G&W eats him)

As Pac-Man...

3. Not really sure... I feel like Ness/Lucas are really annoying and can't really deal with them as Pac

As Luigi...

4. Players with obnoxious edgeguarding tech (Mostly sword users here too)

I'm also trying to learn Shulk, but everyone is giving me trouble lol cuz I suck with him, but since swords are so OP right now, I figured I'd join the crowd.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Belmont Bros and the Mother Bros. Not saying I haven't fought some cool people using them, but the majority of my matches with these fighters have literally just been the same spam over and over. Sometimes I win and sometimes I don't depending if it's 1vs1 or if I have a horde of others I have to deal with as well.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
1, :ultganondorf: he almost took a stock from me at me at 43%! i swear i hate him..but i recently won 1 vs 1 match against him with :ulttoonlink: sooo i am happy now! :D but i had alot of matches before that where i got bodied by him.,.so you can understand i celebrated my victory! :p

2,:ultness: oh Ness...you sure love that fire don't you?! >:l i maybe only fought 1 good Ness player who i considered well..good! all others were just fire lovers!

3, :ultsamus::ultdarksamus: annoying as hell...the only way to fight them is if you are fighting them with a character that can spam as well from a distance.... maybe also the reason why i perform the best against them with :ulttoonlink:

4, :ultike: i always lose from him in a 1 vs 1..ALWAYS

5, :ultlucas: i do..not dislike him..at all! no nasty experiences with Lucas at all, i fought him multiple times and some of them were spammy but Lucas is somehow easier to deal with for me then Ness..weird right? o.o

6, :ultsonic: he can be kinda annoying to me.. it's just that speed and some of his air moves that make me struggle a little, but not enough that i dislike him i just find him a bit of a pain to fight...

7, :ultshulk: DIE AND STAY DEAD >:l ahem.. ok next!

8,:ultcharizard: it's his side B that i hate about him..but other then that hes not that annoying

9, :ultwolf: likes to make me his *****..got combo'ed pretty bad by him multiple times online..just let me back on the stage! even though i am combo food to him i do always end up defeating him ^^''

10, :ultkrool:i only hate him if i got high damage and he gets me off the stage and makes sure i can't come back on it....

Last edited:

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
:ultpichu:Pichu is impossible online.
:ultwiifittrainer: And surprisingly, Wii Fit Trainer is godlike online. The volleyball is heat-seeking seemingly, her hurtbox is deceptively small and difficult to land hits on. She has so much stage presence. Not many players use her, so lack of experience and exposure to the match up are also a factor.

Froggo

Smash Rookie
:ultshulk: - I just think the shulk playstyle counters my own. I know a guy who mains him and he can't do anything with other characters but as soon as he whips out his shulk my brain just implodes.

I honestly don't have trouble with other characters, whenever i lose it's just the other person being better at the game.

Top Bottom