• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Right! Meowth for Smash Bros! UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I updated the OP to look nicer.

Sleeves

Smash Rookie
I support this wholeheartedly! I actually wrote an article on his inclusion yesterday, I guess I'll pop most of it here to let people know how I think he should play:

"How would he play? Well, like most Pokémon, that starts with taking moves that he could actually learn in the game and expanding outwards. I think many of his normal and tilt attacks should revolve around the move "fury swipes" - fairly obvious that a cat Pokémon would use its claws as standard. We could see multiple slashes in his tilts that are extremely fast with a lack any real power but with extended hitboxes from scratch marks appearing in front of him, akin to Wolverine in "Marvel vs Capcom 3". We've seen these multi-hit attacks work extremely well in the Smash Bros. world in Meta Knight, so it would be fun to see more characters that play like that. We could also see down tilts and perhaps the third hit of a standard "A, A, A" combo extend Meowth's tail to trip and thrash opponents. This could give Meowth deceptively long range and moves that leave opponents bewildered which would absolutely suit him to a tee

As for smash attacks, I could see the move "Slash" being involved heavily. Forward smash is easy enough to figure out - a massive, powerful slash attack with an average blast factor that comes balanced with its quick startup. A weaker slash would suit a down smash: Meowth would face the camera and slash with both arms either side of him. Up smash would be an enhanced fury swipes that hits multiple times with the last hit holding the blast - in this way, it would be devastating to hit the full combo but leaves Meowth vulnerable if not.

Special moves are also very easy to theorise about. Meowth's signature move is "Payday", which he used when appearing from Pokéball's in the original Smash Bros. and in Brawl. Now, I think that the move should move away from the fast, multi-hit properties it has in his Pokéball appearances as Meowth would have close range moves that have these properties instead. What I would suggest is that the coins are fairly slow projectiles, as indeed coins are, possibly along the lines of Peach's vegetables. We could see Meowth pull out a coin with Neutral+B and fling it like an item from there. The move would then need a second to recharge so as not to give Meowth too strong a range game.

Other special moves would be taken from Meowth's naturally learned moves in the game as well. Down+B could be a sort of counter move in "assurance" - like the game, it's an attack that deals low damage by itself but if Meowth is hit during it then the damage dealt is higher. If Meowth still took damage during the move but gained super armour, this could be a finely balanced and unique counter move that would be an answer to characters that put on heavy pressure. Side+B would suit a single hit attack such as "Feint". In the Pokémon games, this move deals damage when "protect" or "detect" is used by the enemy, so it would be effective in Smash Bros. as a move that destroys a lot of shield like Marth's Neutral+B in Brawl. It could also have a large vertical hitbox to serve as an answer to low jump-ins but would be balanced by its sluggish delivery.

Up+B would have to be very recovery based as likely Meowth would have two jumps and have medium gravity (as his head is rather heavy looking). This could go outside of standard moves and be more cartoony in style. I could picture a cat jumping from fright - this could see Meowth arching his back with fur on end propelling Meowth mostly vertically and he could frantically flail his claws around for some added protection. Again, this would suit Meowth as he has shown to be fairly panicky at times in the animé. His Final Smash would also likely move away from traditional moves and instead involve his guitar, a now famous association of Meowth since he was seen holding it in his Melee trophy. He could gain the guitar for a limited time and be controlled around the stage constantly playing horrible discordant notes, with musical notes flying out at different angles dealing major damage and blasting opponents."

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I support Meowth !

Meowth, Pikachu, Mewtwo and PK Trainer is all the Pokémon I care for (In Smash) ~

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731

"Why'd dat rodent get into the roster? Clearly it's yours truley who should be the number one Pokeymon in dis game"

Ok Meowth, let me do the talking here.

Anyway Meowth has many factors going for him. He's the only other Pokemon to be in nearly every episode of the Pokemon anime besides Pikachu, he's the face of Team Rocket and he's based off Pokemon creator Satoshi Tajari's cat.

If that's not enough to get him in what is?

"We could build a giant Bidoof robot and-"

For the last time, no!

[COLLAPSE="Special Moves"]B: Pay Day- Meowth tosses Coins in front of him like a toned down version of his Brawl self. Like Bowser's flamethrower it gets weaker over time if held down too long.
B-Side: Fury Swipes- Meowth runs forward wildly flailing his claws. Hits a random number of times but last hit has extra knockback to make it safe. Aids recovery slightly
B-up: Blasting off again!!!- Meowth gets caught in an explosion and flies upward. The more damaged Meowth is, the further he flies but past a certain point it may lead to a self KO.
B-Down: Thief- Meowth hits the opponent with a burglar's sack and steals whatever item they're holding/wearing.
Pic for reference:

FINAL SMASH: MEOWTH'S PARTY- Meowth takes out a Guitar. Works like DK's but more Damge based and has a faster tempo.
[/COLLAPSE]
Awesome! Meowth is one of my favorite Pokemon. I could definitely get behind this. I like the moveset too especially his Up-B. It was pretty original. Although I think Thief should be more of a dash type move, like foxes SideB. What I had in mind was that Meowth would assume burgle stance and and during that brief moment he would auto catch any item thrown at him. The second half of the move would be Meowth dashing left or right. If he makes contact with his opponent he would deal damage and steal whatever Item they are holding.

Also, Kinda 50/50 on this but I could see Meowth Incorporating, Items and weapons into his smashes, aerials, and tilts. Things like baseball bats, explosives, and nets would be fitting for him I think. It might be over doing it though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

"Pic of the Day. Meowth came out of a Poke Ball in the previous game... but now it is a new fighter?! Dreams do come true!"

Yeah, I wish...

Meowth will always have my support!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Same here! I always liked Meowth ever since I first watched the Pokemon anime in the late 1990's... and I finally caught my first Meowth in LeafGreen (I got this version solely for Meowth) and I loved using Pay Day because I could make a lot of money without having to face trainers... so I was able to stock up on lots of Poke Balls and healing items... and when it was Meowth's time to evolve, I didn't let it evolve because I wanted to keep Meowth... so I caught another Meowth and let it evolve into Persian... :awesome:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Mind if I get in on the supporting action? Besides, I've always wanted to see Meowth in Smash since pre-Brawl and I was a bit surprised to hear he was supposed to be in the series since the very first game and these days I've always had hope for him. BTW, could anyone tell me the reason as to why Meowth was even cut from the first SSB for N64 anways? I mean we already have Bowser (Melee), Princess Peach (Melee), Pit (Brawl), Mewtwo (Melee), and King Dedede (Brawl), so why not have everyone's favorite Scratch-Cat Pokemon join the battle? (I personally was 50/50 on him being playable for SSBB honestly.)

Smady

Smash Master
Man I would love if Meowth was in the new Smash. It's a shame he wasn't put in over Jigglypuff for the first Smash, that was his best chance given the anime's popularity peaking and even Yellow taking cues from it. Meowth could be a very fun albeit simple moveset, but the fact he doesn't do anything all that interesting is probably why he lost out to Jiggs and isn't really considered. I do think he has a very small chance if there's no other Pokemon rep that the company wants Sakurai to add.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I agree with Meowth's potential inclusion, he's been long overdue to be playable, although he's got some competition with Pokémon Trainer (who I hope gets the axe), Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, however I think the chances of Meowth joining are pretty slim at the moment.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I am a supporter for sure. I have a newfound love for Meowth that will never die.
In fact @ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 , I have a proposal.
That OP needs some more love, so whattya say I take this thread off your hands and completely revamp it.
Of course you get an honorable mention as the original owner.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I saw this on Miiverse... :)

Pikachu vs. Meowth

That's what I want in Smash... I hate that Meowth always has the unfair advantage of being invincible. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like Meowth's moveset to be based on the games... but the animations, voice, and personality are from the anime. The entrance could involve Team Rocket doing their motto and Meowth yells "Meowth! That's right!" as the match starts.

Smady

Smash Master
I would like Meowth's moveset to be based on the games... but the animations, voice, and personality are from the anime. The entrance could involve Team Rocket doing their motto and Meowth yells "Meowth! That's right!" as the match starts.
Pikachu gets his anime voice, why not Meowth? Everyone who wants the character wants the anime version anyway, at least in terms of the voice acting, such a shame the original voice actor is deceased.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love that so much. It would be the longest intro in the whole game but who cares.
Well... you know how the match starts with a countdown... "3...2...1...GO!"

So... when it says "3", Jessie appears and yells "Prepare for trouble!"... when it says "2", James appears and yells "Make it double!"... when it says "1", Meowth appears and yells "Meowth! That's right!"... :awesome:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
How i would love to see Meowth in Ssb4 as a playable character, he is the most deserving character to be in imo Just having him Duke it out with Pikachu would be enough for this game to be my fav game of all time. ( So i support 100% ) @ Louie G. Louie G. i was also thinking that maybe Meowth's Guitar from Meowth's Party could be implemented into he's moveset. For example when people where spectaculating about Rosalina no one saw Luma coming into her moveset. So i thought that Meowth could use hes Guitar and send sound waves on opponents like he did in the Pokémon Channel version of Meowth's Party.​

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I really like Meowth, but I was waiting for an opportunity to introduce him. So recently, Netflix has started airing the original cartoon, season 1 btw, and it rekindled my passion for everyone's favorite Scratch Cat. So, he could be revealed to promote the TV show on Netflix. Can you imagine?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I really like Meowth, but I was waiting for an opportunity to introduce him. So recently, Netflix has started airing the original cartoon, season 1 btw, and it rekindled my passion for everyone's favorite Scratch Cat. So, he could be revealed to promote the TV show on Netflix. Can you imagine?
No kidding, my mom, who's a big netflix user told me all about it. As much as I am still intersted in Pokemon however, I'm waiting until I've seen the entire Sonic X anime.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
No kidding, my mom, who's a big netflix user told me all about it. As much as I am still intersted in Pokemon however, I'm waiting until I've seen the entire Sonic X anime.
There should be a channel where video game companies put TV shows, so Sonic Boom, Kirby Right Back at Ya', and maybe a new Mario show would air. That'd be sweet.

Smady

Smash Master
Good luck on finishing the new OP. It's looking great already, if you do make a supporters list, feel free to add me to it. Meowth wouldn't have the most creative set ever made, but it'd be very unique in Smash Bros and full of personality. Better than any sixth gen!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If only...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again!

*ding*

Smady

Smash Master
This was the de-confirmation that really got me. I knew Meowth had only a slim outside chance, but I wanted to believe.

I suppose a Pokeball's better than nothing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I expected this so I was surprisingly not butthurt this time like I was back in 2007. But Meowth looks so cute and cuddly in HD! Hope the hackers can make Meowth playable. ;)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I took several blows from the direct... but I managed to survive. Meowth was one of these blows.

Such a shame... Oh well. :( At least he's still a Pokeball item (better than nowhere as in Melee)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pay(Day)ing my respects to my second most wanted newcomer.

On the bright side he was one of the few Gen 1 Pokemon Pokeballs which means Game Freak do still view him worthy of noting. I think I only saw Snorlax(and the forever joke Goldeen) return from the Kantos.

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
Sigh. Goodnight, sweet prince.

I maintain that Gen 1 pokemon are the most iconic. How great would a 4-way battle between Meowth, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Charizard be?

What could have been.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maybe as DLC... *shrug* After all, the Meowth in the Pokeball is not our snarky talking Meowth in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom