• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That thing Ishie's been talking about...

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
That reverse blaster recovery thingy? Yeah, it exists, and it seems like it's helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGatbWtGkU

What it does: It shoots a blaster away from the stage, it makes your momentum move towards the stage (More so than your aerial movement can do) and turns you backwards so you can Bair opponents that try to edgeguard =D

Read the description on how to do it.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
So does this make recovery easier then using b-air to slow down momentum?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It's not momentum canceling (I don't think, haven't looked into it). It's just something that gets you more distance than regular movement.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Arc. I love you. Thanks so much for looking into this and actually confirming it, I owe you one :)

Does this also work once you're hit by an attack? It should in theory, but just asking to be safe.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
true...wat if u get hit at around 180%....do u think its good enough to slow momentum??

But then again its not momentum canceling is it??

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
You shouldn't side B away.. because you have to depress B fully and then press away from the stage (The inputs have to be very close to each other, but the order HAS to be B then control stick), if you press away from the stage before B, you're not getting any momentum, or your momentum is going into a side B xD

But yeah, I haven't done anything with you actually being in knockback... So I dunno, I don't think it'd work for momentum canceling, because other moves that stop momentum (Like Lucario's Dair) don't have an effect... but this is different, so who knows? ^_^

All I know right now is: It exists, it makes you go further than regular movement, and it turns you backwards.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can see some difficulties though...if you use the control stick to alter the momentum...how do you DI them? With the C-stick? Idk the details about DI actually, cuz I always use both sticks (and still fail ~90% of the time :psycho: ). How does that work? I mean if you use the control stick for the reverse blaster you also let go off your DI, right?

:059:

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I can see some difficulties though...if you use the control stick to alter the momentum...how do you DI them? With the C-stick? Idk the details about DI actually, cuz I always use both sticks (and still fail ~90% of the time :psycho: ). How does that work? I mean if you use the control stick for the reverse blaster you also let go off your DI, right?

This is not for DI or changing momentum directly after you get hit. It's to make sure you have a better chance at getting back to the stage.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It should also slightly boost your momentum towards the stage as well, but since DI in this game only alters trajectory, it's possible (although probably awkward).

And Gheb, I see you've joined me.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
.......... this doesnt help you. Try to replicate it after getting hit off the stage.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm sure it can be done.

This is supposed to be done when you're out of hitstun and crap, this isn't to make you live longer, just help recover. A lot of people think this is like momentum canceling o.O

Okay so, some updated info, I feel stupid about not figuring this out earlier, but whatever.

Your momentum actually has to be going backwards, away from the stage in order to "reverse" it. I found that doing it when you jump straight up doesn't make you go anywhere.. so yeah, you actually have to be moving backwards.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, you'd have to be DIing in a way that would move you away from the stage for this to work I'm thinking. So it would probably be really awkward, but possible.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
It's not momentum canceling (I don't think, haven't looked into it). It's just something that gets you more distance than regular movement.
It really isn't momentum cancelling, since you're using a special move to boost/reverse your DI, and not stopping your launch speed with an aerial.

:025:

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
Huh?? im confused...someone explain it...so if ur hit....u have to DI away from the stage and then after u DI use the reverse blaster tech??

tedeth

Smash Master
Ok I think I've figured something else out about it. The reason why you don't get a momentum boost when you jump straight up and do it is becuase rather than BOOSTING your momentum in the desired direction, it actually REVERSES it. So if you are headed away from the stage and do this reverse blaster thingy, you will be sent back towards the stage at the same speed at which you were moving away.... I think. I'll have to test this more shortly.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
Ok I think I've figured something else out about it. The reason why you don't get a momentum boost when you jump straight up and do it is becuase rather than BOOSTING your momentum in the desired direction, it actually REVERSES it. So if you are headed away from the stage and do this reverse blaster thingy, you will be sent back towards the stage at the same speed at which you were moving away.... I think. I'll have to test this more shortly.
If thats the case....its the ultimate recovery....if ur hit at about 200%....if ur fast enough then u can reverse it?? which means the speed tat could have killed u wil help u comeback to the stage??

I think

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
As much as we hoped for that to be true, it's not. The physics of momentum cancelling requires the player to perform their faster aerial A attack to significantly reduce knockback. Using a B move to attempt to reduce/reverse the knockback would actually increase the knockback by its original direction, potentially killing yourself rather than flipping its direction as you would've hoped. Its an extra boost of DI, at best.

This video might prove me wrong, since I'm not completely sure on all the physics the blaster has.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
Reverse blaster does not help with DI survival.

Now Bair to reverse blaster would be the right thing to do.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
^ Exactly. B-air to cancel the momentum then B-reversal for that nice boost back to the stage. You could be gimped pretty easily though, now that I re-visualize it that way.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
^ Exactly. B-air to cancel the momentum then B-reversal for that nice boost back to the stage. You could be gimped pretty easily though, now that I re-visualize it that way.
If aimed right, I think Wolf will either sweet spot the edge or go through the opponent trying to edge hog and land on the stage.

I haven't really tested what happens after the Bair Blaster recovery though, so I could be wrong.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Reverse blaster does not help with DI survival.

Now Bair to reverse blaster would be the right thing to do.
Are you absolutely positive the wavebouncing cannot be applied? I'm thinking it just seems like that because the direction everyone is inputting is towards the stage after they get hit, so wavebouncing takes them away from the stage, but I might be wrong. I really should test my own idea out >_>

But yes, you always bair first, because it's your fastest aerial. Then you try reverse blaster to hopefully push you a bit towards the stage and allow you to bair away edgeguarders. If the wavebouncing effect doesn't work, just a regular reverse blaster would probably work well enough though.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Are you absolutely positive the wavebouncing cannot be applied? I'm thinking it just seems like that because the direction everyone is inputting is towards the stage after they get hit, so wavebouncing takes them away from the stage, but I might be wrong. I really should test my own idea out >_>

But yes, you always bair first, because it's your fastest aerial. Then you try reverse blaster to hopefully push you a bit towards the stage and allow you to bair away edgeguarders. If the wavebouncing effect doesn't work, just a regular reverse blaster would probably work well enough though.

To wavebounce, you would need to be drifting away from the stage to begin with, you don't want that.

Also, the wavebounce would have little to no effect during hitstun.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
To wavebounce, you would need to be drifting away from the stage to begin with, you don't want that.

Also, the wavebounce would have little to no effect during hitstun.
Yeah, that's my one question, would you be able to push yourself away from the stage and wavebounce after a bair at higher percents, or would bair and regular reverse blaster while going towards the stage work for longer... I mean, if you could do it quick enough, wavebouncing might work a bit better, but idk if it's worth the effort as opposed to a regular reverse blaster.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You're trying to have your back to the stage for a bair, right?

B-reverse blaster would make more sense to do, wouldn't require changing your control scheme to b-sticking (either that, or you input like 4 commands at once to manual wavebounc...)

So b-reverse blaster is also more practical, and you can actually do it without b-reversing, hence losing less momentum. /99% sure

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, the bair is the main purpose, but which one helps momentum the most is all I'm wondering about... B reversal I guess it is then, I can't be bothered to find out specifically which one works best, and without wavebouncing it's definitely a helluva lot easier.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
You don't main Wolf, gtfo your Arcanine.

Using this as momentum canceling after a Bair or something definitely needs some looking into.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
......you can't use this for momentum cancelling..... This DOESN'T work. Sure you can get extra momentum when ur momentum is going in the opposite direction, but it just isn't worth it because it's better to just momentum cancel with ur fastest aerial and then jump back.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
Someone should make a vid where you get launched off, momentum cancel with b-air, then b-reversal back. That way, you can prove that this is applicable in real matches.

Top Bottom