• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That one bad teammate

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Everyone who plays Team Battle runs into this scenario from time to time. You finally get a decent group of skilled players and the stages / items (or lack thereof) are reasonable enough for everyone. Suddenly one player leaves and is replaced with a really bad player. You know the kind; they always go with the same failed moves over and over. They pick Bowser / Yoshi / Kirby / Toon Link / etc. and always try to dive bomb into everyone from up high. Or they self destruct often with Yoshi's Egg Roll / Jigglypuff's Rollout / etc. Or they spam thunder and lightning as Pikachu or forward smashes as Wolf. Whatever they do, they routinely get a -3 score or worse and bring down the team they are on. You know your turn is coming to babysit the n00b, and you know another loss is imminent. What do you do? I compiled a list of thoughts with various ranges of success or failure, but some players just. WON'T. LEAVE. No matter what:

A. Pick your best character / their worst matchup / clone them / pick an annoying character. This is usually one of my first resorts. I try to go after them relentlessly in hopes they will eventually leave. This option is more likely to work than others. If only it were that simple....

B. Switch to Link / Toon Link / Snake and attack the n00b teammate with explosives. I only attempt this after repeated failed attempts of the previous option. This one sounds good on paper, but unfortunately it rarely works. Usually my opponents are too busy attacking me for them to even notice I am trying this. For this reason, I rarely even attempt this.

C. Pick an annoying stage and/or annoying items. This one can backfire though, as you might find the good players leaving instead.

D. "Pretend" to be away by not touching the controller for the duration of the match when you have the babysitting duty. This is another one I don't do often. I find it more likely that the good players will actually be the ones leaving, since we all hate having an idle player almost as much as a n00b partner.

E. "Throw" the match with repeated self-destructs. I can't get myself to stoop to this level very much at all since it is contrary to my competitive nature in the game. Even if I do try this, the others might get the wrong signal and assume the stage / items are the complaint rather than the n00b partner.

F. Stick it out. This one is obvious.

G. Leave and/or disconnect. Find another group. This is also obvious.

H. Play a different game or just turn off the TV. I am especially likely to do this if I've played long enough or it's getting late.

I. Go to Basic Brawl. I would really have to be annoyed or bored to go there, so this is definitely the last resort.

I am sure that I am forgetting other options. Note that I am not at all annoyed if there are 2 or 3 such players in a match, since they can offset one another or give me a good opportunity to switch to characters I am not good with. What do you guys do when just that one bad player won't leave?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
yes....these kinds of people are the reason why i dont do team battle

Ive had a few funny instances were i got a noob and 2 good players. And when the 2 good players win and we all switch out, if one of the good players is being a **** to me and we team up i do nothing when the match starts. It annoys them soooooo much. I've had good players rage quit because i either dont try or i suicide alot. I just sit there and taunt them while they're trying to fsmash me in rage LOL

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Yeah, I hear ya DW. I liked the idea of the bombing your teammate. I didn't think of that but, heh, yeah, good on paper, bad in practice. What I would do is I when it comes time to bsbysit him, I would just let him brawl by himself. I wouldn't go idle, though. I would just go pacifist/avoid much contact the whole match and let the noob get creamed.

I have seen players who start ducking when paired up with the noob. Must be their way of signaling that they want nothing to do with the match and to just jump on the noob. Sometimes it goes mistaken as a taunt party signal.:ohwell:

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Lately all my Team Battle matches have been awful. Every player is horrid and does exactly what is listed. I just endure it then leave after the match is over. Honestly I haven't seen a very decent player in Team Battle for a while. I find them more in Basic Brawl.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Peach & Wolf Side-B spam too FTL

Lately all my Team Battle matches have been awful. Every player is horrid and does exactly what is listed. I just endure it then leave after the match is over. Honestly I haven't seen a very decent player in Team Battle for a while. I find them more in Basic Brawl.
I was just in a Team Battle with a Peach and Wolf that would continuously Side-B even to their own demise. What will they think of next? At least the two n00bs generally offset one another in this case, so I rarely went with my better characters.

Anyway my main reason I abandoned Basic Brawl long ago was that the better players were always in Team Battle. Plus it was next to impossible to get real fights in Basic Brawl with the taunters and teamers. It really makes me wish Nintendo included a separate 1 vs. 1 option. Then we would have an option free of the taunters / teamers / bad teammates.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Anyway my main reason I abandoned Basic Brawl long ago was that the better players were always in Team Battle. Plus it was next to impossible to get real fights in Basic Brawl with the taunters and teamers. It really makes me wish Nintendo included a separate 1 vs. 1 option. Then we would have an option free of the taunters / teamers / bad teammates.
And if only they would ever bother updating Brawl to do that >.>

While I do admit to being a taunter, it certainly doesn't mean I like my fair share of Team Battles. What ticked me off? In almost EVERY different group I joined today, there was a n00by Kirby, and over half the time they were paired with me. In only two or three different groups I had a decent teammate, and altogether? Nope.... don't believe any groups I joined were n00b free. If I did join one, my replay saving on my Wii took too long and forced me back to the With Anyone menu after one match.

The only good time I had was when two n00bs were teamed together. My partner and I creamed them, then watched one flop more because the guy chose my winning character from the first match (Sonic) while I changed to Marth. That was fun. :D

BSP

Smash Legend
I was just in a Team Battle with a Peach and Wolf that would continuously Side-B even to their own demise. What will they think of next? At least the two n00bs generally offset one another in this case, so I rarely went with my better characters.

Start Crashing. There's a good chance you'll find it jsut as much fun.

When I'm with the noob, I'll just bear with it. No ones keeping score or anything, so I'll just do whatever floats my boat.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord

Here's some advice, you'll never be free from taunters on brawl. :p I'm actually a taunter myself, only cuz sometimes I don't feel like battling. =P

As for the bad teammate thing, I get them ALL. THE. TIME. There always a n00b Kirby who constantly use Rock, I sometimes question the person's intelligence, but then sometimes I just think the person's either a little kid, or a troll.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Intriguing read. When I get an inexperienced or bad player on my team, I normally pull more than I can, and take the opposing team for us both. The other team is normally too mad at me gimping, edghogging, spiking, teching or something else PG-13, that they don't really even notice how my bad teammate is throwing out random moves. Taunting after killing an opponent also draws their attention. I try not to skim off a teammate, instead I try to make use of what I have and know, and use that for the both of us. Trying to play off your teammate with desprate tactics to get rid of them seems a bit biased by my standards, no offense to anyone.
If my opponents seem to have an upper hand or have a better player (or they are better players) I politely take what I am given and make do, even if the odds are against my team. Of course, if I know it's hopeless, I normally do what I can for us both, but I may seem to lack in my offensive a bit.

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
Usually I troll if there are 2 or more bad teamates or if the stages start getting rediculous or item abuse or if I get really bored (I would have to be pretty bored). If you go into team battle thinking there will be decent players you will only be dissapointed. At times they are worse then half of the bad basic brawlers. Honestly it is not that bad and I kind of am exagerating a bit. They are only just getting into Brawl and think back to when you weren't as good as you are now. I remember doing some really noob stuff.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I just keep on playing lol. It's a bit annoying when my teammate doesn't do anything but if the other players don't leave then I won't.

Zatch's post puts us all to shame

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
If you're a bad player but your opponent is really good then play defensive and help when the time is right. I'm horrid at teams and usually I have my partner rank up damage and i'll go for the kill. It's hard on wifi since you have to kind of guess what your partner is planning and how you should react and what you should do and know when to back off. This goes for both Team Battle and With Friends.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Intriguing read. When I get an inexperienced or bad player on my team, I normally pull more than I can, and take the opposing team for us both. The other team is normally too mad at me gimping, edghogging, spiking, teching or something else PG-13, that they don't really even notice how my bad teammate is throwing out random moves. Taunting after killing an opponent also draws their attention. I try not to skim off a teammate, instead I try to make use of what I have and know, and use that for the both of us. Trying to play off your teammate with desprate tactics to get rid of them seems a bit biased by my standards, no offense to anyone.
If my opponents seem to have an upper hand or have a better player (or they are better players) I politely take what I am given and make do, even if the odds are against my team. Of course, if I know it's hopeless, I normally do what I can for us both, but I may seem to lack in my offensive a bit.
^This.
deal w/ it, nerd. most fun way.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Now, while I do get decent teammates, they can tick me off sometimes.

Y'know, especially if you get edgehoged by that same person. -_-

BSP

Smash Legend
You know, team attack would help when you get a bad teammate. That way, the other 2 would have a chance of hurting each other when they come to double team you.

@Zatch-yeah, it's off and we can't change it :( It would help though.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Now, while I do get decent teammates, they can tick me off sometimes.

Y'know, especially if you get edgehoged by that same person. -_-
If i get edgehogged by a teammate, if it was intentful, i help the opposing team take their stock. This is only sure to happen in friendlies, so all is well.
If it happens offline in a friendly, i ragequit and save the replay (there's this thing among my friends; we save every ragequit.) Normally when you get a teammate that's better than you and the opposing team, they might pick on you by hitting you ever so often with random, light, attacks. To me it feels like an older brother in the game.

If i find myself accidentally killing or causing a loss of stock for my teammate, if they don't have the logic to know it was an accident (or just for fun when the opponent is dying as a star), they begin trying to attack me. I throw them out of the way at every interval they attempt to inflict damage, and continue with my business, all is well
:seuss: If it gets annoying, i take a stock altogether. The nerve of some people:facepalm:
Edit: @ BSP: Team Attack is normally on by default. At least, in my book.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Time for this crasher to return?

Start Crashing. There's a good chance you'll find it jsut as much fun.
I used to crash taunt parties in Basic Brawl often and save the replays of when I'd own them alone. Later on when that became old, I'd pose as one of them just to see what they do. The difference with me is that I would seldom ever team with them; just observe and be a pacifist for a while, secretly looking for weaknesses among them. Then I'd strike when the time was right and keep them guessing. Perhaps it's time to revisit that once more.

N3kU

Smash Rookie
I always get the most stupid people online.

They always run around the stage and runing off stage

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I hate when explosives of any kind are turned on. I get BSed by too many explosives spawning near me in the middle of attacks or the stupid "dud" capsules, crates, party balls, and barrels.
Same here. Those fireball thingies(forgot name XD) are the most annoying. Someone had them on high it wasnt fun. Especially on a stage like FD. Barely could do anything.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Same here. Those fireball thingies(forgot name XD) are the most annoying. Someone had them on high it wasnt fun. Especially on a stage like FD. Barely could do anything.
Hotheads? Yeah those things are dangerous especially if you got projectile characters because they can still make it grow is it rolls on the ground.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Gooey bombs, Bombs, Smart bombs, Motion Sensor Mines and Blast boxes could work pretty well

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Other than all this item stuff, about teammates. I used to get a decent or ok player most of the time and I always led the team to victory, no matter who was on my team. It started changing when I started getting teammates who werent REALLY there. All in all, TB is not for me anymore. Maybe I'll try it again in another year......

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Other than all this item stuff, about teammates. I used to get a decent or ok player most of the time and I always led the team to victory, no matter who was on my team. It started changing when I started getting teammates who werent REALLY there. All in all, TB is not for me anymore. Maybe I'll try it again in another year......
I no longer touch TB anymore. Just see no point to playing. I do a lot better watching out for myself and I can focus a lot better as well. Plus not having to rush and save my partner because I always get awful ones. Overall BB is better and even if you get teamed the risk damaging and KO their partner.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I no longer touch TB anymore. Just see no point to playing. I do a lot better watching out for myself and I can focus a lot better as well. Plus not having to rush and save my partner because I always get awful ones. Overall BB is better and even if you get teamed the risk damaging and KO their partner.
My thoughts exactly. If they all try ganging up on one person at the same time, they'll likely KO one another. Thats why I like handling things myself. If someone tries to help me thats fine but if they so much as hit me, accident or not, I'm turning my attention on them.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
My thoughts exactly. If they all try ganging up on one person at the same time, they'll likely KO one another. Thats why I like handling things myself. If someone tries to help me thats fine but if they so much as hit me, accident or not, I'm turning my attention on them.
When I get help and I don't need it and they hit me a lot I wait until their damage gets high enough before I KO them. Catch them off guard.

Top Bottom