• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That Ain't Raichu! A Pikachu Video Critique Thread

dkuo

Smash Lord
you should ask in the stickied discussion thread ;o
imo the fox approach is pretty strong as pika
unfortunately pika's punishes are much weaker overall unless youre a combo magician like axe heheh

step 1 imo is always figuring out how marth responds to jolt. if marth knows he can neutralize it with any of his attacks then eh, but youre looking to see if he shields/jumps

personally i like interrupting dd with my tiny (but long lasting) dtilt/ftilts, along with shffl nair. really hard vs marths with good dd/keepout game
tilts act more like interruptions for my own dd spacing tbh, they create false openings for marth and breaks up my own pattern a bit
lobbing a nair in their zone is the best option for getting in on openings, but followups are pretty hard vs low%. you might want to first fish for a grab or jolt a bit to get marth past uair cc threshold or something
you want to identify openings carefully, its very easy for marth to zone your nair out
crossup nair is amazing like in every other matchup. if it hits they cant do much (facing away from you), if you nair their shield it starts the crossup shield mixup game

getting marth to hit my shield for counterattack opportunities (wdoos, uair oos, usmash oos, shieldgrab even) is good too. really hard vs marths who have good knowledge of shield and watching out for your shield use

lastly, if you want to be -that guy-, playing by the ledge vs marth (or anyone really) at lower % & during advantage is pretty good, vital for low tier cheese strats
much harder for marth (or anyone really) to actually gain much there (given you have good DI/recovery habits) as opposed to you trying to gimp off bthrow > pika things a bunch of times
learn to ledgedash for this, you get like 15 invuln frames on neutral stance or something stupid
ledgehop 4th hit uair rehog is the cheesiest gimp strat but i got out of rom5 pools with it :p

also this thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/pikachu-guide-2011.312544/

dkuo

Smash Lord
well...i dont (i dont count tho im a falco main)
but i used to do ok vs marths as pika back in the day
N64 also doesnt like the MU from what i remember

a lot of pikas like playing vs marth and actually think the mu is reasonable or even in pika's favor
i remember m2k said he thinks its definitely in pikas favor

N64

Smash Champion
i'm bad at pika vs marth, yeah.
Watching axe though, the match does look to be even at minimum. Probably slightly in pika's advantage.

Top Bottom