• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tether Recovery: Why So Unloved?

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
The general consensus around the character forums seems to think poorly of the tether recovery for characters. But I don't really understand why.

Sure, better recoveries get a character back on the stage without any ledge fights, but I like the idea of dropping down below an opponent waiting with a charging smash attack and then tethering to a ledge grab. From there I can roll, jump, attack-recover, or drop down and take a different angle.

Granted, an opponent can ledge grab and deny the tether, but the opponent must use precise timing to make sure his super armor moments co-incide with the second you'd use a tether (like Olimar). Otherwise the tethering character would deal damage and knock the ledge hoarder off, right?

I don't think I'm good enough to understand why the tethers are so bad.

Any explanations?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
We discuss this a bit on the ZSS board. The first thing to note (as is shown in the video) is that both Olimar and Ivysaur lose all ability to perform any moves after failing their tether. ZSS is not limited to this. Second point, Olimar has the shortest tether, as it is limited to the number of Pikmin he has pulled. Not to sound like I'm plugging ZSS or anything, but edge-hogging has the least effect on ZSS because she has her Down-B recovery. Also, whether or not you hit your opponent with your tether, you'll still fail to grab the ledge and most likely fall to your death.

Teevo

Smash Rookie
I personally don't mind it... on Zero Suit Samus... Cause you know she can do it again if she misses for some reason, but Olimar and Ivysaur are like.. what? You use it and miss slightly and you're disabled and just die. I'd have no problem if it weren't for that.

Edit: Oops... beaten to it... oh well.

[PU] Poison

Smash Rookie
Well, why so unloved? You can ask that to Olimar users and you might get an accurate answer. A character like Olimar depends totally on his number of Pikmin to return safely from a fall, you need flawless timing to ledge-grab consistently. Sadly, it is the only way to recover for he.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I love tether recovery...on Sheik. It gives me yet another option. I mean, hell, I can cling to the wall on the side of the stage below the ledge for all I care. She has a lot of options and the tether recovery rounds them out. But someone like Olimar? I'm not a big fan of tether-only recovery.

Thino

Smash Master
for olimar and ivysaur they miss the ledge even if the opponent ledge hogging invicibility frames are over and gets hit by the attack

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
I love tether recovery...on Sheik. It gives me yet another option. I mean, hell, I can cling to the wall on the side of the stage below the ledge for all I care. She has a lot of options and the tether recovery rounds them out. But someone like Olimar? I'm not a big fan of tether-only recovery.
Whoah, wait, Shiek can tether? The whip is a tether recovery now?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
The characters that have tether recovery are.

Lucas
Link
Toon Link
Ice climbers
Zamus
Samus
Ivysaur
Olimar
Shiek

However, only Ivysaur and Olimar have tether recovery as there only option.Olimar can throw purple pikmin at an edge hogger which will knock that person onto the stage but that tactic is situational.

Tether recovery is great for people who have OTHER OPTIONS. Tether recovery allows characters various ways to recover (good thing). Ivysaur and Olimar however are restricted to tether recovery, limiting there options (bad thing.)

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
We discuss this a bit on the ZSS board. The first thing to note (as is shown in the video) is that both Olimar and Ivysaur lose all ability to perform any moves after failing their tether. ZSS is not limited to this. Second point, Olimar has the shortest tether, as it is limited to the number of Pikmin he has pulled. Not to sound like I'm plugging ZSS or anything, but edge-hogging has the least effect on ZSS because she has her Down-B recovery. Also, whether or not you hit your opponent with your tether, you'll still fail to grab the ledge and most likely fall to your death.
I think it's alright to praise her on a tether recovery thread, considering she is the best of the three with tether as their primary form of recovery. It's obviously her main option, even though down B works as well. Two tether recoveries (side b also grabs edges) and one jump recovery, along with her ridiculously high jumps, and you have a recovery monster. There's also the fact her up B has the best range of all tether recoveries as far as I know.

Anyway, the simple, bottom line for why it's disliked is it's easily gimped. Edgehog and their recovery fails. Even if Olimar or Ivysaur hit you off the edge, they go into freefall and are dead anyway while you get a second jump and a recovery move to get back (unless you are Yoshi XD).

Zek

Smash Ace
Tether recovery is unloved because its massive glaring weakness far outweighs any small advantage it provides. I'm sure that when they balanced the characters, reliance on tether recovery was on the list of weaknesses. Olimar in particular has an abysmal recovery thanks to his tether, which is horrendously short if any Pikmin are separated from him. ZSS has a third jump, and even Ivysaur has a projectile to knock people off the edge, but Olimar can only do that if a purple is in front and loses tether length in the process.

Mama

Smash Ace
Yea the edge hog weakness is basically what ruins tether recovery. I think if you had a choice between sweet spotting and hitting anywhere else on the side of the stage then tether recovery would be excellent. But Sakurai thought he was doing everyone a favor by making tether recoveries only work on one part of a level...

Top Bottom