• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm wondering on how should the Star Tropics stage look. Other than it all the stages being underground/indoors the levels had a wide variety of traps, switches, and enemies. Disappearing platforms, fire fountains, spikes popping from the ground randomly, pitfall traps, rolling rocks, water, and lava just to name a few.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
legitimate bump.

I have never played startropics, but I think it would be good to have a western only character in smash.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Also check out this rumor:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...-based-on-recent-rumor-speculation.453049515/

The rumor is that Retro Studios are doing a Startropics game on the Wii U. If this is true, Mike Jones might have a shot at bejng in Smash :D
if it is true, he's PROBABLY going to get into smash. I'm pretty sure he was considered for brawl, so if he gets a new INTERNATIONAL release, it almost certain he's in. almost as certain as k rool. and he's number 1 for possibility in my books.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Not too sure about him being considered in Brawl, But yeah it would be nice to see a Western character shown to Japan.
I tried to find where I found out where I found that Mike jones was planned but taken out because he was western only, but googling "mike jones in brawl?" isn't very specific. I get a bunch of news stories about gang fights :/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I tried to find where I found out where I found that Mike jones was planned but taken out because he was western only, but googling "mike jones in brawl?" isn't very specific. I get a bunch of news stories about gang fights :/
Yeah. That story was started by some guy on youtube.

It's completely false.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
At 4 minutes is where you can get some cool ideas for his Island Yo-yo as a primary combat tool.

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned here, the word "yo-yo" was removed from the VC release and replaced with "star" for copyright reasons. I'd like to see Mike alternate between his different yo-yos for variety in speed and power. The Island Star would be for quick attacks, the Shooting Star for medium speed and power, and the Super Nova would be for smash attacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I did some research and I'm rather confused. A yo-yo by itself cannot be copyrighted. There must be more to it. Better ask Chozoboy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah. That story was started by some guy on youtube.

It's completely false.
oh. well, that completely subtracts half of my statement. anyways, I still think he's possible for SSB4, but even more so if retro is indeed working on a new startropics game.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yay someone revived this thread!

People focus on the Yo-yo a lot but he doesn't use it for long (unless you lose enough hearts). It would be like giving Link the wooden sword from the first game over the Master Sword. You forget his morning star and whatever the Nova thing is. In second game he doesn't use that at all but instead focuses on throwing weapons and magic attacks.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Yay someone revived this thread!

People focus on the Yo-yo a lot but he doesn't use it for long (unless you lose enough hearts). It would be like giving Link the wooden sword from the first game over the Master Sword. You forget his morning star and whatever the Nova thing is. In second game he doesn't use that at all but instead focuses on throwing weapons and magic attacks.
The Super Nova is his morning star. He gets two upgrades to his yo-yo, the Nova being the highest, and it downgrades based on your health level. Kind of like losing the beam sword in Zelda, but with multiple levels of downgrades.

I don't know the copyright stuff, but it is definitely changed to Island Star in the VC version, which I own. It doesn't seem to be but maybe the Yo-yo name is copyrighted, like Frisbee?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wanted to refrain from posting now that this thread was revived because I tend to be a thread-killer for some reason. :p

Anyway: On copyrights, I heard it was something to do Canada It was a few years ago, so I already forgot the details.

On the Retro rumor: I had a hard time containing the excitement, but I finally settled for it to be just speculation. Wouldn't rule it out since Nintendo has been reviving stuff lately (Pilotwings, Punch Out, Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, DKC, etc) there's a good possibility that Startropics could be the next Retro project. But I'll just look the other way so I don't get my dreams crushed.

-
I always thought it'd be cool to either have a "Life system" on Mike. But not for the Yoyo/ShootingStar/Supernova, but instead for the Psychic Shockwave, as I feel Mike should have his flail weapons asigned to, for example: A-yoyo, Tilt-A, Shooting Star, Fsmash-Supernova.

But if they go with a "life system" for the Yoyo, it'd be cool either way... Kind of hard to balance a character that starts out too strong and/or ends up too weak.

Again, glad to see some attention around here. Got me thinking about StarTropics again, and that always puts me in the best of moods.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The Retro game was Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Oh well.. At least DK gets some more love.

I'll try not to be pessimistic about it. Mega Man surely hyped me up for the game, like a great deal. Espeially since he singlehandedly reached out and pulled my inner kid.

If we get Little Mac (semi confirmed already) I'll be pretty ok. But if somehow Sakurai keeps playing the "lol you never saw this coming, did you? *laughs*" card, then Mike MIGHT have a chance after all. I mean seriously... Wii Fit Trainer got in. After her, anything is possible in my book. :D
(Will keep a healthy ammount of optimism, though).

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I would say that Mike is reasonable valid for the same reasons that Takamaru is valid - they both represent a retro franchise that is exclusive and specific to only the Western or Japanese markets (respectively). Just like introducing Marth and Roy in Melee (and Ness, IIRC - I don't play EarthBound/Mother, so I don't know for sure) brought the Western fanbase into real contact with Fire Emblem, which led to it being localized due to popularity, and how Takamaru's inclusion could very well do the same thing, his presence in Nintendoland noted but not entirely relevant in this particular argument; then Mike Jone may be included and achieve the same in vice-versa - mainly, introducing him to the Japanese fanbase and leading to StarTropics getting localized - and perhaps the support of the Japanese gamers would lead to another StarTropics game being produced, which I'm sure a lot here would be all for.

That being said, unless Sakurai is intending on introducing a large number of newcomers this time around, I don't see his inclusion as all that likely, but there certainly is good reason to include him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't, and overjoyed if he is.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Jumping back on the Mike Jones bandwagon for this gen. Not gonna lie, StarTropics I and II are my favorite NES games ever, and I would be stoked to see them represented in Smash. If they revive the series for another iteration on Wii U, I may have a mild freak out.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Updated with supporters, just like in the Little Mac thread.

One one hand, I feel that his chances have been hurt by several things:
-Captain Rainbow: Not only is this yoyo-using character region exclusive, like Mike (but in Japan), but his game was about Underrated Nintendo characters. How underrated do you have to be to not even appear in a game about underrated characters?? (Bad luck Brian meme here). But to be a little more fair... it might have something to do with stuff like StarTropics not even appearing in Japanese grounds ever. Hence why Little Mac was considered underrated in that game while the truth is that back in the days of Punch Out, Little Mac wasn't underrated at all. At least not from NOA's perspective.

-Pilotwings Resort: Maybe I'm just over analyzing here, but the fact Crescent Island didn't make a return for this game (aka, the island that was basically C-island from StarTropics) either says: "We don't need to reference this obscure game anymore" or simply: "We're providing new locations for the player". Either way, Crescent Island with its little trivia might have boosted ST's popularity if only at least by a decimal or two.

-WarioWare: With a game so full of retro-game cameos, it is astonishing to see that time and time again they miss the opporunity of introducing, at least, one tiny ST cameo. Once again I blame it on the fact that ST never reached Japanese shores, but one would think at least ONE Japanese developer still remembers it (looking at you Genyo Takeda, you gotta have SOME input in any software area of NoJ) Nazo no Murasame Jo was never released in the West that I know of, but it still made a MAJOR representative part of Nintendo Land, how could one 3-second cameo ruin Japanese gamers is beyond me. :(

-Super Smash Bros Brawl: Obviously not a character, nor stage representation... But no Assist Trophy? No song? Not a regular trophy?? Not even a STICKER???
This is by far what damaged StarTropics chances of anything the most, in my opinion. Especially since to a lot of Nintendo fans, a game worth its salt can only be so if it's represented in Super Smash Bros. somehow. And that's really sad.

Basically, these are the things that keeps my hype at bay for this charac... IP, but we never know when Sakurai could pull a Wii Fit Trainer card on us. Though I know the case is far from the same when Wii Fit is actually very iconic, wether for good or bad. So that it was a mindblowing surprise.

Hope this doesn't make me a bad supporter, this is literally the best thing that could happen to me roster-wise. No other character could possibly top Mike's inclusion for me. Not even Mega Man + Crono (Chrono Trigger) + Spencer (Bionic Commando) + ANYTHING. So I'll keep my fingers crossed as I wait.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well, at least Mike's chances are higher than Crono's >.>

I still don't get why they haven't put the game out in Japan. With the Virtual Console, how hard could it be? Japanese people are missing out.

Are there any other examples of games made by a Japanese company that were released in the west but not in Japan?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, at least Mike's chances are higher than Crono's >.>

I still don't get why they haven't put the game out in Japan. With the Virtual Console, how hard could it be? Japanese people are missing out.

Are there any other examples of games made by a Japanese company that were released in the west but not in Japan?
That hasn't happened again as far as I know. (Japanese developers not developing FOR Japan). Except maybe animating the Thundercats cartoon.

And yeah, Crono's chances are MUCH lower than Mike's, I can at least feel better in that regard (or can I?) :}

Anyway, in a bit more of a possitive light, Reggie apparently said some "dormant" IPs will be ressurrected.
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/1...chises/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I just love how much support StarTropics is getting. 4th place only losing to the sci-fi giants (Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero).

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
StarTropics series has the best chance out of all American Nintendo titles. Anyone ever heard of Short Order / Eggsplode!! for the NES? That's an American Nintendo title.

Sinn

Smash Lord
That hasn't happened again as far as I know. (Japanese developers not developing FOR Japan). Except maybe animating the Thundercats cartoon.

And yeah, Crono's chances are MUCH lower than Mike's, I can at least feel better in that regard (or can I?) :}

Anyway, in a bit more of a possitive light, Reggie apparently said some "dormant" IPs will be ressurrected.
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/1...chises/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I just love how much support StarTropics is getting. 4th place only losing to the sci-fi giants (Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero).
I so hope they do more with StarTropics. I've been wanting some kind of revival for years. I think Mike could work great in a 3D action adventure, ala Zelda.

As a side note, Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite video game, and seeing Crono in the game would be pretty damn cool, but I don't have any expectation of him showing up.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'd honestly settle for a piece of music, maybe on a tropical-themed Donkey Kong stage, and a trophy. Just a little bit to show that SOMEONE over there remembers StarTropics.
I suppose if we had to, a slow start is better than none at all. Just look at the last game. Little Mac was an assist trophy, and this time people highly expect he'll be in, what with all the clues in the boxing ring stage pointing to him. At least making a note to the series would help spread awareness.

I AM glad that they put StarTropics on the virtual console though. Proves that it's not entirely forgotten...even though they brought them out like, what, five years ago? Since then, all's been silent...

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
If the new Adventure Mode still has team-up stories, I'd like Mike and R.O.B. Maybe R.O.B. could even meet NAV-COM.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Answering your earlier question, Sinn.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498163List of known Japanese games not released in Japan.

Been cruising around online, and I´ve seen plenty support for StarTropics revival/SSB appearance. The problem is, how much are our (Western) voices worth to Sakurai/Iwata?

But it's great to see so much ST love out there.

My heart will rest at ease when people get to know of this IP through SSB. Chronicles text was nowhere near enough. And adding stickers only required a bunch of Google searches. -.-

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is the ultimate form of straw-graspery, but I couldn't sleep last night... So in an attempt to dig out hints of the whereabouts of StarTropics in today's Nintendo agenda, I stumbled upon a dim ray of hope for this series...

Anyway, I present to you...
The clues.

Clue #1

-Kensuke Tanabe is apparently tasked with recreating games made by Genyo Takeda.
-Genyo Takeda was Nintendo's very first Video Game Designer. (He's now focused on hardware only)

-List of games produced by Genyo Takeda
Blue: Ressurrected games
Red: Possible candidates to be ressurrected

-You can see here that Punch Out! and Pilotwings were brought back by the same man...
Kensuke Tanabe, who I cite again...

Iwata​

You were responsible for the mission of resurrecting games made by Genyo Takeda, Nintendo's first game designer...

That's TWO out of FIVE plausible games made by Genyo Takeda to be brought back by Kensuke Tanabe.
-Punch Out (2009)
-Pilotwings Resort (2011)

Which means... that the next game produced by Kensuke Watanabe MIGHT be around the corner if there's a 2-year gap between each of his projects.
The question is... will it be:
-Sheriff?
-Space Firebird?
-StarTropics?

Maybe Nintendo has something planned for StarTropics. And if Little Mac and Punch Out have seen the light of day once again, it's possible that Iwata might be more aware of StarTropics, especialluy if HE is now in charge of Nintendo of America.
And that concludes my rambling and series of observations from a 2-hour-long worth of free time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
This is the ultimate form of straw-graspery, but I couldn't sleep last night... So in an attempt to dig out hints of the whereabouts of StarTropics in today's Nintendo agenda, I stumbled upon a dim ray of hope for this series...

Anyway, I present to you...
The clues.

Which means... that the next game produced by Kensuke Watanabe MIGHT be around the corner if there's a 2-year gap between each of his projects.

The question is... will it be:

-Sheriff?

-Space Firebird?

-StarTropics?

Maybe Nintendo has something planned for StarTropics. And if Little Mac and Punch Out have seen the light of day once again, it's possible that Iwata might be more aware of StarTropics, especialluy if HE is now in charge of Nintendo of America.
And that concludes my rambling and series of observations from a 2-hour-long worth of free time.

Well, I certainly don't think it'd be Sheriff... Nintendo these days is all about creating distinctive characters and going off of the premise of "You're a sheriff, they are bad guys" isn't particularly compelling.

Space Firebird... could have the potential to be rebooted? It was another generic arcade game, though... When it comes to space shooters, I'm fairly sure there are more worthy series with a stronger pedigree to pursue.

Honestly, StarTropics is the only option that actually stands out in any way.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, I certainly don't think it'd be Sheriff... Nintendo these days is all about creating distinctive characters and going off of the premise of "You're a sheriff, they are bad guys" isn't particularly compelling.

Space Firebird... could have the potential to be rebooted? It was another generic arcade game, though... When it comes to space shooters, I'm fairly sure there are more worthy series with a stronger pedigree to pursue.

Honestly, StarTropics is the only option that actually stands out in any way.

I see that too.
Although Sheriff has had some cameos in Warioware games, I can see Nintendo going for StarTropics first.
Especially if Kensuke had first hand experience in developing LoZ: A Link to the Past.

My hopes are slightly higher now, and I think Mike will have some sort of representation this time in SSB. What type, I'm not sure, but at least a bio of the character is my guess.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter. I think he is a milestone in Nintendo history, being the first US only character for Nintendo. Also does anyone have a sig icon for him?

Top Bottom