• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
"Mike Jones goes Bananas"

If Retro is really reviving the series, that would be a best reveal caption to give in smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Anyone can edit IMDB, so it's not exactly reliable.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Danica Patric = Herself
Tim Phillips = Dante (Devil May Cry)

... *sigh*.

Still.... hoping with all my heart that at least JYB's bit is true.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Anyone can edit IMDB, so it's not exactly reliable.
I agree. That's why I didn't jump the gun and say he was confirmed. I just thought it was an interesting find/rumor that members of the board would appreciate. It'd be nice if it was true.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It is an interesting thing to see on IMDB none the less.
Very interesting.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Just saw this. Won't believe at all. Nuh uh. I'd be stupid to even if every ounce of my soul wants it to be real.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
LOL, when I read the thread title for some reason I thought you meant Mike the Robot from Wario Ware. While I've never played Star Tropics what I've seen looks pretty cool and I wouldn't mind if it had a representative for Smash.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It really is a shame that Mike Jones isn't any popular than he already is.
But on the point I wanted to make I was scrolling through old pages in the Takamaru thread and found that the East vs. West character... thing was brought up quite often so I thought about on it a little while.
If Takamaru got in could it help Mike's chances?
Perhaps or perhaps not I think it's based on if Sakurai wants to do the East vs. West thing.
Let me know what y'all think.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It really is a shame that Mike Jones isn't any popular than he already is.
But on the point I wanted to make I was scrolling through old pages in the Takamaru thread and found that the East vs. West character... thing was brought up quite often so I thought about on it a little while.
If Takamaru got in could it help Mike's chances?
Perhaps or perhaps not I think it's based on if Sakurai wants to do the East vs. West thing.
Let me know what y'all think.
Hmmm not exactly "help".
The only way Takamaru would really help Mike's chances are if LeakerBros leak is real.
I still think they're world's apart (lol) in which one doesn't affect the other.

BUT Sakurai does love a good trivia. We've seen it with the whole thing about Link/Samus/Pit(1984), Pacman/Game&Watch(1980), Mario/DK(1981) grouping characters from the same year.

So MAYBE, he might feel like grouping up characters of the same play style. In this case, Link/Takamaru/Mike.
Or maybe R&D2 (Little Mac and Mike), but then again, this one doesn't involve Takamaru.

In an ideal world, both characters become playable. :D

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What's the LeakerBros' leak again?
Ganondorf, Hades, Ridley (tease)
Mike Jones, Lucas
Takamaru
Geno (lol)
New DK and new Zelda character.

*sigh*
So E3 passed by, and of course nothing ST related was shown.
I was so sure there'd be something this time, judging by all the clues I gathered.
However, nothing in them really pointed at the possible new game being made NOW. So I guess I set myself up for disappointment.
I think I'm almost ready to let this series go. 20 years has been a long enough wait.

Last edited:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf, Hades, Ridley (tease)
Mike Jones, Lucas
Takamaru
Geno (lol)
New DK and new Zelda character.

*sigh*
So E3 passed by, and of course nothing ST related was shown.
I was so sure there'd be something this time, judging by all the clues I gathered.
However, nothing in them really pointed at the possible new game being made NOW. So I guess I set myself up for disappointment.
I think I'm almost ready to let this series go. 20 years has been a long enough wait.
He predicted Palutena and Ness at E3, only one of then was shown

Yet he was right on the dot about miis. Saying they were entirely customizable, have moves similar to other characters in the roster, playable only local and online with friends (not with strangers), toggable in the menu, and replace the random button when on. There is some hope for Mike. A small shimmer of light, but there nonetheless

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yet he was right on the dot about miis. Saying they were entirely customizable, have moves similar to other characters in the roster, playable only local and online with friends (not with strangers), toggable in the menu, and replace the random button when on. There is some hope for Mike. A small shimmer of light, but there nonetheless
Thanks!
I guess I woke up kinda bitter about it all.
No use getting upset now. There's always the unlockable spots in the roster, and perhaps the DLC.

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
Where I stand is that I'd love Mike to be playable, but not if he'll get priority over Takamaru (which is unlikely).
I just love that he's a West-exclusive character. It should be Japan's turn to suffer the same confusion that we Americans felt when we saw Marth and Roy in Melee!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Where I stand is that I'd love Mike to be playable, but not if he'll get priority over Takamaru (which is unlikely).
I just love that he's a West-exclusive character. It should be Japan's turn to suffer the same confusion that we Americans felt when we saw Marth and Roy in Melee!
They already have with Little Mac you should see some of their posts they're quite funny actually.
And I don't see Takamaru and Mike in direct competition with each other I mean you even said it yourself he's Western exclusive, and Takamaru is Eastern exclusive.
Except Europe get's that game before us screw those guys. (<- that was a joke by the way).

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Is there a link to all of this that I can read through? Sounds pretty detailed but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a really strong guess.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is there a link to all of this that I can read through? Sounds pretty detailed but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a really strong guess.
I'm wondering the same seems a little too good to be true but it's not so far-fetched to not be believable.
I mean it's not out of the question that Takamaru and Mike could be both in as he may be trying to go East vs. West like a lot of people have stated.
It's actually a very good idea in fact have a character that Japanese people will say "Oh, hey I remember that guy."
And have one for the American side as well.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think he still has a chance but he probably won't find out until after the game is released (similar to ROB). If not I was thinking of making a Mii version of him. Swordman with throwing shurikens since those were two of the weapons he used in the game.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Mike is not Mike without a playstyle focused on yoyo tricks.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I found this...
Reminds me of the art in my Avatar so I thought I would post it.

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
with all these new assist trophies of characters in the same boat as Mike, I wouldnt be surprised if he was announced assist trophy soon.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Crossing my fingers so that happens. AT is the most possible spot to hope for now.
I could see that happening.
I'm also starting to think that Isaac has been promoted to playable status, so next game more assists could be promoted.
Takamaru and Mike anyone?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
This is great for you guys. More people will become aware of Mike because of BitF. I mean, a considerable number of people wanted Adeline in SSB thanks to the comic. If BitF can do that to a very minor Kirby character, I wonder what today's comic will do to a main character of a franchise.
(Since BitF is ending, this came in a really fortunate time.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey, Jones supporters! Get those bananas out of your ears and check out the new Brawl in the Family comic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Heh, thanks!

I've always been a bit salty about how everyone looks at Ness as the Nintendo yoyo character, when Mike did that before him.
Ninten may have been a bat user a year before, but as far as Yoyos go, Mike is the man!

But Mother is a respectable franchise in its own right, and I cannot deny how cool it is.
This was a pretty good comic.

Just the fact that they mentioned him is above and beyond what any site with a good ammount of followers do!
And I think the fact that this is going to be one of the last issues of BitF will make it easier to find.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I played Startropics back in the NES days as a rental and was one of the first games I downloaded on Virtual Console. I did get farther this time, but still haven't beaten it.

I imagine that he would use the Island Star the same way Zero Suit Samus uses the whip.

Hong

The Strongest
A bit late and way out of the blue, but I should have said something sooner...

If it would be okay, could you put me down as a supporter, please? Thanks in advance. ^~^

loganhogan

Smash Ace
That comic is cute I kind of felt bad for Mike at the end though, silly Kirby didn't wait to listen. :laugh:

Top Bottom