1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by shinhed-echi, Jun 24, 2012.

1. shinhed-echi

shinhed-echi
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

3DS FC:
    5301-0890-0238
    NNID:
    punchtropics

[​IMG]

For old time's sake...

Mike for Super Smash Bros 4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike is the main character from the NES games StarTropics (and Zoda's Revenge).
    He is a 15-year old ace pitcher who visits his uncle on an island, only to learn that he was captured by aliens.
    After being given a Yoyo to fight the evils that lurk in the caverns beneath the islands, Mike embarks on a quest to save his uncle, destroy an alien warlord, and rescue three magical cubes who contain the secrets of a lost civilization.

[​IMG]

Why his games should be considered:

Both StarTropics, while created by a japanese team (same team that made Punch Out!) were created specifically for western audiences, as a result, these games were never released in Japan.
    However, the fact that Startropics remained a pure western franchise is more the reason to include Mike in smash, just like MARTH and ROY introduced us to Japan only games, then Mike could potentially also introduce the games to japanese gamers. (The downside of course, is that StarTropics had only two games, as were Fire Emblem was real popular in Japan and still is)

Chances at:
    -Retro spot (Nes only)
    -Western games (Europe and NA only games)

Moveset:
    Mike has a LOT of weapons at his disposal, but his recurring weapon consists of a Yoyo. (Unlike Ness who is limited to TWO smash attacks with it, Mike would use a yoyo for standard moves).
    He also wields base-balls, cleats, and bats, to stuff like twin-shuriken, alien phaser guns, and bolas.

Here's an example of a (special only) moveset I came up with for him.

[​IMG]

B: Psychic Shockwave
    (This move starts out strong, but over the course of battle, specifically, when damage starts racking up for Mike, its range and power diminishes)

B-Down: Magic mirror
    (This move reflects ENERGY projectiles only)

B-Tilt: Random throw
    (Works sort of like Dedede's tilt-b except with projectiles, such as horsehyde baseballs, bolas, etc)

B-Up: Anklet boost
    (Gains the ability to jump twice as high. The move doesn't inflict damage, but it has a wind factor that pushes opponents away while performing it).

Final Smash:
    1./Snowman Doll
    (A cold circular shockwave freezes anyone who gets near).

2./Ghost Reveal
    (Mike uses a special scepter to reveal ghosts all around, these latch on to opponents causing them to slow down their movements considerably, as they drain health)

GAMEPLAY GIMMICK: (since Sakurai is apparently focused on this)

In StarTropics, HEALTH played an important part in the strength of his attacks.
    In ST1, he could upgrade his YoYo, to a Morning Star-like weapon, to a cosmig Morning Star-like weapon that could shoot bolts across the screen.
    In ST2 he had a similar concept, except with an ability called PSYCHIC SHOCKWAVE.
    However, these upgrades were only accessible, if Mike had enough Health to support them.

So in SSB Mike should have this mechanic re-introduced. So he would be a strong starter, but gets weak as the battle progresses.

YOYO: Does not detach projectile. (mid range, E.G. Link's sword)
    SHOOTING STAR: Detaches a projectile that travels a bit more. (E.G. Zamus whip)
    SUPERNOVA: Detaches a projectile bolt that travels across the screen. (E.G.

========================
    Health Power:
    0% > %40 (Full health)
    41% > 89% (Average health)
    90% > 999% (Bad health)

========================

ATTACKS:

A: A yoyo/shooting star/supernova: Rapid combo. (Infrequent projectiles, except Yoyo)
    A-
    tilt: Baseball bat > Attacks in a 360` radius.
    A-down: Torch > Throws a burning torch to the ground (opponent can be damaged by flame)
    A-up: Yoyo/Shooting Star/Supernova: Attack upwards.

Dash Attack: Slide

Nair: Yoyo/ShootingStar/Supernova: attack from air.
    Fair: Homing Cleats Kick (works similar to Sonic's Homing Attack)
    Dair: Super Laser Blast down (a short ranged laser blast with a shotgun-like spread)
    Bair: Lamp strike (Strikes an opponent with a lit lamp, causing fire damage)
    Uair: Asterisk (A long ranged, but slow projectile that, upon A press, splits into 2 projectiles, darting off in opposing trajectories, at 90` each)

Fsmash: Cleopatra's dagger (throws a bronze dagger ahead of him) (short-mid range)
    Dsmash: Leonardo's katana (slices with a katana around him)
    Usmash: Tink's Axe (throws axe diagonally upwards, Castlevania style)

Grab: Grabs an opponent with hands. (Don't buy Parappa's Yoyo grab..)
    Pummel: Stomp (Stomps opponent's foot with his cleat shoe)
    G-up: Throws psychic shockwave to the ground, propelling opponent upward.
    G-down: Throws opponent down, and stomps with cleats.
    G-back: Throws opponents over his back, and follows up with a Triple spike ball strike.
    G-front: Throws opponent in front of him, and blasts him down with a Laser Blaster.

So there you go. My second (and most likely last) support thread, to a character I believe should have been in since the original SSB.

Radical!

(a moveset video)
    [COLLAPSE]

AwesomeAussie27
    Raijinken
    King Marth 64
    Nintendotard
    smashkirby
    TORNADO BUS DRIVER
    Hong
    JohnathanACE
    Aurora Jenny
    NonSpecificGuy
    darkcat1
    smashkirby
    Megadoomer
    APC99
    bksbestbwoy
    Zage
    Zzuxon
    Stompman
    TempahRelapse
    Crap-Zapper
    Davidreamcatcha
    volbound1700
    R.O.B.
    asia_catdog_blue
    fogbadge
    GoldenYuiitusin
    PsychoIncarnate
    Frostwraith
    Master Rapier
    DakotaBonez
    SmashChu
    jigglover
    shinpichu*
    Phantom287
    Darkshadow77
    3Bismyname
    grizby2
    ItsSilverLPs
    Komicturtle
    legendofrob1
    BluePikmin11
    ChozoBoy
    Sinn
    Cobalsh
    MetalMario128
    shinhed-ECHI

(UNSURE)
    Inawordyes
    FalKoopa
    Swampasaur

N3ON[/COLLAPSE]

#1 shinhed-echi, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    smashkirby, ASAAJ, jaytalks and 4 others like this.
  2. DMurr

DMurr
    Expand Collapse
    The Radiant Hero

3DS FC:
    5413-0802-1207
    NNID:
    dmurray9
    His B move is microwaving Mario's crotch?

3. Davidreamcatcha

Davidreamcatcha
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Being a fan of Startropics, I can certainly say that I wouldn't mind seeing Mike in Smash 4. However, I really don't think it's likely at this point, unless Sakurai -REALLY- starts adding a lot of Retro characters...

4. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

He sounds like a great addition but his lack of appearance in Japan will likely doom it. I played and own Star Tropics (In fact my NES still works, I played Kirby's Adventures all the way through last night to get Perfect (I played the Extra game). I never could beat Star Tropics.

5. shinhed-echi

shinhed-echi
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

3DS FC:
    5301-0890-0238
    NNID:
    punchtropics

I think I agree with this.

The only reason why I think he stands a small chance, if any, is because of Sakiurai's statement to bring back more retro characters, not too long ago.

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even be making this thread. :D

It's a pipe dream, but here's hoping for the best.

6. Yomi's Biggest Fan

Yomi's Biggest Fan
    Expand Collapse
    See You Next Year, Baby

3DS FC:
    1375-7346-9605
    NNID:
    Takamaru64
    Switch FC:
    SW-8277-6509-2593
    I think it should happen anyway since StarTropics was at least developed in Japan. If there were to be a revival, it could be international and have a puplic Japanese release.

:phone:

7. asia_catdog_blue

asia_catdog_blue
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Well, i say it's high=time the west gets a character we know and understand. Yeah, Nippon will get confused and go, "WTF," but so did the west when they say Marth, Roy, and Lucas.

It's only fair.

8. fogbadge

fogbadge
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

he certainly sounds like he'd be a cool fighter, so why not?

i'll admit i havnt played star tropics but it sounds good i'll be sure to look it up on the vc at some point

9. GoldenYuiitusin

GoldenYuiitusin
    Expand Collapse
    InCENAroar

3DS FC:
    1693-0975-8307
    NNID:
    Shake_King
    When I first saw him, I thought of him as a just a bit of a grown up Ness with the yo-yo and baseball bat.

And then I actually did research, and have come to this conclusion....
    WHY THE HELL DID THIS SERIES NOT CONTINUE?!?

That being said, I'd love for Sakurai to pull a fast one and include a character known mostly outside Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness in Japan, such as Mike Jones, and one known mostly in Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness outside Japan, such as Takamaru.

Mike Jones has grown on me, despite never playing any StarTropics games, and I fully support his inclusion.

10. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate
    Expand Collapse
    The Eternal Will of the Swarm

3DS FC:
    4554-0155-5885
    NNID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    Maybe you should give him Leo's Katana. Have him more of a Psychic swordsman

Startropics 2 style.

That way he isn't a Ness clone, at least.

11. shinhed-echi

shinhed-echi
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

3DS FC:
    5301-0890-0238
    NNID:
    punchtropics

It's nice to know its grown on you, I too tend to like some games once I read about them first.

I guess it's due to the misfortune of it being a western only franchise, together with the fact that the sequel was second to the last game released on the NES (while the Snes was already dominating) led to this franchise never having the attention it deserved, thus, not good enough sales, most likely. :(

While your idea is not bad at all (I dig magic sword users), there's nothing really Ness-clone-ish about Mike other than the weapons of choice.

Just like a sword can be used to slash, or to thrust (or both) Ness swings the yoyo, Mike PITCHES the yoyo as if it were a rock or a baseball.

I think yoyo as regular attacks could work really well. The way Mike uses the baseball bat, however, basically works like Link's Spin Attack.

12. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

I had the first game, it was really good. It played a little like the original Legend of Zelda the way the dungeons were set up but you got to use a lot of unique weapons.

13. Frostwraith

Frostwraith
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon's Sin of Wrath

NNID:
    Frostwraith357

Sakurai said he would get more retro characters into Smash. I have to agree with this, they could put more characters from Japan only games at the same time they put characters from games more known in the West.

It would raise popularity in both zones and could spark the revival of more series or getting a certain series more known in other countries (think Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem).

14. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

I just beat Star Tropics and that was an epic game. I mean is goes right up there with my favorite series Zelda. It has the best ending of any NES game I've ever beaten (which is a lot) I'm working on getting the sequel Zoda's Revenge but I've been busy.

I'm not sure if he should use the Yo-Yo as his primary weapon or the Super Nova. I'm only recommending the Super Nova because it would be a more unique weapon then say Ness's Yo-yo.

Also could you imagine the stages you could have?!

15. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

I am in Chapter 3 right now in the Ghost town/Cemetary stage. Tough game. The enemies need to drop more often.

16. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Yeah the game is tough but I feel like its mostly tough in a good way. There are still plenty of cheap shots they give.

Those rooms with spikes that randomly pop up in the ground.
    Making you respawn in the room next to the entrance so you can't leave and refill your hearts.
    Having you respawn in rooms full of enemies, random popping spikes, or both.

Other than that I was able to find everything and nearly solve all the puzzles without a guide. I'm not trying to spoil too much but with one puzzle you'll need to look up or unless you have the original instruction booklet.

17. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

I am not sure, I still have my old NES and I had the game. I got through half of the Graveyard level but quit after I died a few times.

18. DakotaBonez

DakotaBonez
    Expand Collapse
    The Depraved Optimist

This game sounds F#$%$#% incredible. It's not a turn based rpg like Earthbound is it?
    Isn't this the game that was made famous by having to pour water on the instruction booklet to beat the game? I don't think even a fourth of my games have a manual. I remember a friend of mine downloaded it off the wii shop and was telling me you had to pause the game, go to the home menu to read the instructions and find the water bucket button. Damn so THIS is the game that came from?

19. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

@Volbound1700 Yeah I died many times in that area. I got to the point I started searching around seeing if I forgot something because I didn’t think I was ready for the dungeon yet.

@DakotaBonz Nope its not turn base at all. The over world map looks like something out of Dragon Warriors but there isn’t any monsters. When you go into the dungeons it plays similar to Zelda.

20. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

Yeah the game reminded me a great deal of the original LOZ when I first played it. (I had it before I ever tried any later systems). I really didn't get into the modern Nintendo games until a skiing trip with friends and we played Smash Bros 64. I had a Gamecube at the time and went and got Melee. Never looked back. I have played and beaten all the 3D Zeldas since (before then I just played the 2 NES ones) and I have played both the Galaxies and 64.

I use to be just into PC strategy games. Smash really got me into other games. However, I did play Star Tropics as a kid and loved it other than the difficult which as a child was frustrating. Star Tropics would be easier if you had better access to items that refill your health or had better drops.

21. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

I'm thinking Mike should use the super nova and have it more like a morning star flail. It would certainly stand out as a weapon. He could still use some yo-yo tricks as well.

22. volbound1700

volbound1700
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

The bat should be a smash move but should be a spin attack not the swing that Ness performs.

23. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate
    Expand Collapse
    The Eternal Will of the Swarm

3DS FC:
    4554-0155-5885
    NNID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    If they ever make another in the Star Tropics series, I want it to be a period piece set in the 90's.

With that said, I think they should go a little more into 90's U.S. culture, and Mike's interaction with it, as well as his battle with aliens. As such, it's not something they should take so seriously. It should probably be made by an American company if such.

A psychic kid with a yoyo that fights aliens. That's still the story of the mother series

24. shinhed-echi

shinhed-echi
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

3DS FC:
    5301-0890-0238
    NNID:
    punchtropics

Completely agree with this. :)

Since that's a trademark of StarTropics, then yeah, it should definitely keep the 90's U.S. culture (or in the case of Zoda's Revenge, hystorical culture). Things like the submarine code being the date of the American Revolution, etc, was subtle and clever, even if it's completely unrelated to the plot.
    This is why both of these never merged... You see the Yoyo was only available in the first game, and the psychic powers were only in the second game... So luckily, they're still apart.

The first StarTropics gave me a sort of Indiana Jones-esque feel. While the second one gave me a sort of Back to the Future-esque feel.
    Both were great, but I think the whole point of StarTropics is making Mike look like a young Indiana Jones, so definitely more of ST 1.

Maybe he could accidentally land on Wuhu Island, Minim Island, and other Nintendo islands. :D

ChozoBoy likes this.
  25. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

I would love to see a new Startropics game but I would be afraid it wouldn't be as good as the first one (just starting the second one today). With modern games they make them so easy and the enemies and puzzles will be dumbed down. If you take that out then Star Tropics is a pretty generic game.

26. SmashChu

SmashChu
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Hero

I don't think he'll be in this one, but I think he should be a Smash Bro eventually. Startropics is one of those games that doesn't get a lot of love. Guess it's the sands of time (it did well enough to get 2 games and was developed in Japan).

27. jigglover

jigglover
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Does anyone know if it's on wii shop in Japan? Since if it was then it sort of got a japanese release anyway...

28. Robert of Normandy

Robert of Normandy
    Expand Collapse
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3DS FC:
    2251-3915-5139
    NNID:
    shinpichu
    Switch FC:
    SW-4957-7233-2307
    No, I don't think it is. Nintendo doesn't seem to like having to put effort into it's Virtual Console releases, hence why they haven't taken the opportunity to translate and release all the old games (like the Fire Emblems) that we missed in the US.

29. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Does anyone know if there is a site or place you can send recommendations for the Virtual Console? I've heard rumors but I can't find anything. I have a list of games I really want them to be available.

30. Phantom287

Phantom287
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Ah, StarTropics, this game brings back memories.

I'd love to see Mike in SSB, but, as others have mentioned, that's very unlikely.

Honestly, I think he should get in simply because Sakurai has given us three Japan-only Nintendo Characters (not counting ports and remakes), but no characters that only appeared in Western Nintendo games. Let's see a little more love for the west, okay Sakurai?

31. jigglover

jigglover
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Samus says hi. No one in Japan likes him.

ChozoBoy likes this.
  32. Darkshadow77

Darkshadow77
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

First of all, Samus is a WOMAN.
    And I also have to disagree with Japan not liking the character. As far as I know, it's just the prime series they don't like that much.

But I do agree it would be fair to add him simply because Sakurai likes to ignore western only characters but adds some Japan only characters.

33. 3Bismyname

3Bismyname
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

I always thought he would be nice when i noticed they were adding retro characters. though he is unlikely, he has my vote

34. N3ON

N3ON
    Expand Collapse
    Pink Sparks

• Back Roomer

If Sakurai were to placate the west, he would do it with characters that are actually requested like Little Mac or Ridley, not one that is even obscure to the majority of westerners. At least Marth and Lucas had a lot of popularity in their region before being included. Mike Jones is a cool character, but he really has terribly low priority for addition as either a retro character or a character with primarily western popularity, as many others outclass him in both categories.

:facepalm:

35. jigglover

jigglover
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Sorry Samus! I was in a rush...

36. grizby2

grizby2
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

this time around i would actually LIKE to see a character that isn't mega popular or has a ton of priority, kinda like how ness was on the 64.

a "pleasent surprise" character.

i support mike :]

37. ItsSilverLPs

ItsSilverLPs
    Expand Collapse
    Banned (6 Points)

StarTropics is amazing. Basically it's Zelda with a yoyo, but still, amazing.
    I would love to see Mike in SSB4, he has plenty of potential for a moveset, since he used LOTS of items

ChozoBoy likes this.
  38. Master Rapier

Master Rapier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

I really want to revive this thread. I had to take a break from Star Tropics 2 but I believe I'm nearly done with it. He has so many abilities that could be used it would be ridiculous.

Here is a list of weapons he uses in game.
    Main Weapons
    Yo - Yo
    Shooting Star (Morning star)
    Super Nova (Laser Morning Star)
    Psychic Shock wave (Magic balls)

Side Weapons
    Throwing knives, axes, and swords
    Bolas
    Torches that shoot fire
    Baseball Bat
    Slingshot
    Reflection Mirror
    Baseballs
    Asterisk (exploding shirkens)
    Laser Guns
    Three way shot (throws three spike balls in a spray pattern)

Special Items
    Spike Shoes (Warps to every enemy and kicks them in the face)
    Anklet (doubles his jumping distance)
    Snowman Doll (Freezes all enemies on sight)

KiraYoshikage likes this.
  39. DragonSniperNintendo

DragonSniperNintendo
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

I was wondering what was going on in that picture

40. к✪мíсζ

к✪мíсζ
    Expand Collapse
    One Man Army

• Premium
    NNID:
    komicturtle
    I say bring it. It'd be nice to see Nintendo revive the Star Tropics series so why not have Smash Bros. be the place to promote it?