• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teleport

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
Zelda's teleport has no punishment, and she attacks in the beginning and end of it

now think about this
teleport to them so they get stunned to fsmash or usmash

or

just teleport to spam over b

or when ur trying to get back to the stage from above, teleport to them on the ground

why has no one used this yet? and why has there been no discussion about it
i think this is what will make her top or at least high tier

also you can just spam the teleport in one spot

either way, zelda is too good especially with over b and up b
there needs to be more usage of this
discuss

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
I've had videos of this up on Youtube for weeks and they have made their way into the zelda video archive thread. The general consensus of commenters on my game is that be it interesting how reckless and aggressive I tend to be with Farore's Wind, ultimately most think it's my biggest weakness and what loses my matches.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
well it's not something to spam

it's more like a way to get close and grab easily or lead to an attack

or

it's more like a way to get away easily and spam din's fire

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Zelda's teleport has no punishment, and she attacks in the beginning and end of it

now think about this
teleport to them so they get stunned to fsmash or usmash

or

just teleport to spam over b

or when ur trying to get back to the stage from above, teleport to them on the ground

why has no one used this yet? and why has there been no discussion about it
i think this is what will make her top or at least high tier

also you can just spam the teleport in one spot

either way, zelda is too good especially with over b and up b
there needs to be more usage of this
discuss
What?

Up B is not as good as you think it is. The only time you can chain it into anything is at very low %s, and after doing that once...it will probably knock them back too far to be used again in that manner. At high percents you can almost kill with it. Also, it is very laggy...if you miss you are going to get smashed in the face pretty hard. My buddy plays Ike and he can run up and land an up-smash in the lag time sometimes.

Also, over B is kind of the most obvious thing in the universe. Once your opponents figure out whats up, you wont hit much more than 10% of them. Its a good move, and can be mindgamed a little with its ridiculous hitbox (and the standard tech chasing and whatnot) but its definitely not spamtastic. Every time I use it, I think about the fact that if they start sprinting at me, the best I can do is drop it immediately and hope it catches...because the shield is a hell of a lot faster. Din's fire is a projectile for intelligent use, not spam. Thats why it is so amazing when it hits.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Metroid_1, when I play the game Teleport is certainly better than it was in melee, but by no means can you use it often without your opponent catching on.

With my friends who are good at smash I would be lucky to hit them with it once in a match, and I don't have trouble spacing it at all. It is still pretty slow and punishable.

It might be a tiny bit more viable for mindgames, but in my opinion there is plenty about Zelda which overshadows her Teleport.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
just an fyi I don't spam it in my videos I just use it for aggressive mind games. and if you're on the ground you can actually manipulate how far you go to some degree by using downward angles. I think I've gotten about 3 different exit point ranges not including respawning where you enter.

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
the other player can actually hit you directly out of teleport. Your will trade percents he his you with an upsmash for 15+ with a ton of knock back while you hit him for 6 percent. Its not as good as you think but you can use it for mindgames. teleporting in the same place is fun it ****s with the other player.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I used Farore's wind a lot of times and its awesome now. I often surprise people with the nding attack, where the opponent goes flying on fire.

Its awesome now. Good for picking up the smash ball too.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Even landing on the ground, there is a very smalll amount of lag. It's not a lot, but it's enough that if they shield they can punish it. To make matters worse, the knockback basically is unusable. At any non-zero percentage, it knocks them just far enough that you can't combo it into anything.

Rikuo

Smash Cadet
I've gotten good mileage out of Farore's Wind's reentry attack. If it hits, it usually stuns them enough to compensate for my lag. Its not that laggy if you land on the ground. I can't combo into anything most of the time, but I only get punished if they shield. It does have mind game potential. If you don't do it often, you can surprise them with it. Its not as punishable as people are saying.

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
I knew Farore had the new explosion on re-entry but I never thought as using it as an offensive measure until I played Elana. It's a good way to get in and can play good mindgames. It can be shielded and punished but only if you try to hit them with it everytime. Teleporting in place, or a little outside their range can show they're always guessing. Not really combo material, but it does break the match and puts them back into a defensive mode. Not spammable for sure, but one extra trick for Zelda.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I knew Farore had the new explosion on re-entry but I never thought as using it as an offensive measure until I played Elana. It's a good way to get in and can play good mindgames. It can be shielded and punished but only if you try to hit them with it everytime. Teleporting in place, or a little outside their range can show they're always guessing. Not really combo material, but it does break the match and puts them back into a defensive mode. Not spammable for sure, but one extra trick for Zelda.
And there's never too much of those "extra tricks" I might say. The new FW suits Zelda very well IMO, since I think that she is supposed to be a character that relies on mindgames and prediction of enemy movements instead of just bare comboing. And now that FW can be used to attack instead of just teleporting, her mindgame level just got a little higher.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
I don't quite think it's as good as you think it is...I mean, when someone realizes that her up-b has that attack on reentry, all they really have to do, is put up a shield, or dodge. If you go into the air with it, that's pretty stupid because her free fall after it is slow as sh*t.

Honestly, just jab or d-smash if you want them to get away from you, it's a lot better than relying on her up-b in my book... The new shield mechanics breaks this idea for using it to move to your opponent though, assuming they have decent reflexes and can guess you'll use it to attack them.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who knows my style from Melee knows that I love FW mindgames to an excessive amount. My first time playing, I was rather disappointed with her teleport, as the horizontal distance of her ground-to-ground has been decreased. Furthermore, I believe the number of options for her distance by tilting the control stick into the ground at different angles has also been decreased (somebody said 3, and that sounds about right). I'm not sure if I'm just not used to the sensitivity of the controls, however, so there may be more options than I've done.

My second chance at playing the game, I tried using FW much more often to great effect:
- never as the "double attack" from the first post. That hardly works against Sandbag, much less in an actual fight.
- I tried hitting an airborne enemy with the reappear hit, but it really was never worth it.
- while ground-to-ground didn't feel as effective, it was still good at disrupting projectile spammers every now and again, while also screwing with some approaches.
- my best results from the move came from using FW to land on the stage, as opposed to just falling (not talking recovering, just getting back down). Always keeping where I land different - be it just below me, near the edge, or right on top of an opponent - was quite effective, especially since most people don't know yet to watch how the camera moves to tell where I'm going. Granted, most of my experience with this was against Lucas, Lucario (friend's mains), and Marth (everyone online seems to be using him), so others like Ivysaur, Fox, and Pit may have suitable counters.

As the majority of people in this thread have said: keep it varied. Zelda's not a spammer, especially not with this attack.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Anyone who knows my style from Melee knows that I love FW mindgames to an excessive amount. My first time playing, I was rather disappointed with her teleport, as the horizontal distance of her ground-to-ground has been decreased. Furthermore, I believe the number of options for her distance by tilting the control stick into the ground at different angles has also been decreased (somebody said 3, and that sounds about right). I'm not sure if I'm just not used to the sensitivity of the controls, however, so there may be more options than I've done.

My second chance at playing the game, I tried using FW much more often to great effect:
- never as the "double attack" from the first post. That hardly works against Sandbag, much less in an actual fight.
- I tried hitting an airborne enemy with the reappear hit, but it really was never worth it.
- while ground-to-ground didn't feel as effective, it was still good at disrupting projectile spammers every now and again, while also screwing with some approaches.
- my best results from the move came from using FW to land on the stage, as opposed to just falling (not talking recovering, just getting back down). Always keeping where I land different - be it just below me, near the edge, or right on top of an opponent - was quite effective, especially since most people don't know yet to watch how the camera moves to tell where I'm going. Granted, most of my experience with this was against Lucas, Lucario (friend's mains), and Marth (everyone online seems to be using him), so others like Ivysaur, Fox, and Pit may have suitable counters.

As the majority of people in this thread have said: keep it varied. Zelda's not a spammer, especially not with this attack.
Words of triforce of wisdom.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
I was the one that said 3 but I realize that I was saying that as an option from the edge of the stage. Obviously if you're in the middle of a decently large stage you get 6 aside from your initial entry point. Memorizing the ranges and getting good at using specific ground ones at will open up so many options. One trick I like doing now is anticipating a pit side B after baiting them with a din's fire and FW'ing just behind them in perfect range for a sh bair. A lot of people think pit is a mis match for us but good FW usage can really level the playing field in that fight. I'll try to get more vids recorded as my FW metagame is always developing and if anyone wants links to the ones I have up now feel free to PM me.

Luthien

Smash Ace
On the ground teleporting has you limited to 4 options, I'm pretty sure.

South: Same spot
South-southeast/south-southwest: about a foot in selected direction.
Southeast/soutwest: Around half the distance of east/west
East/west: slightly less than half of Brawl's FD, I think.

I'm not sure about east-southeast/west-southwest. I'll have to check. If they do work, you have five options, and that's the same as Melee. Sadly, the difference between distances has been lowered, however.

EDIT:

Okay, I'll redo the researched list now:

South: Same spot
East/West: Half the distance of FD
Southeast/Southwest: Slightly more than a third of FD
South-southeast/South-southwest: One fifth of FD
East-southeast/West-southwest: Pretty much the same as southeast/southwest, just a tad farther.

So yeah, it's still got the same options.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
lol we're essentially trying to say the same thing except you're counting east and west at the same time. my bad I seem to have missed one distance in the mix but mainly because it's the distance that I don't actually use.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I wouldn't label it as an attack per se. The good thing about it is that it can get you to the floor without being camped by people with utilts, aerials, and usmash's.

Zelda has terrible dair attacks. If you let an opponent get below you, it will not bode well for you.

FW I use more for positioning.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I use Farore's Wind as an attack when the situation allows, but it's not really something I use in my combos. My I'm directly above an opponent, I usually use Nair, or move to the side and attempt a Fair or Bair. If I think I can get it, I might try a Dair Thunder Kick (I didn't know Dair was a thunder kick as well until recently).

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
I agree with lucrece It's a really good positioning tool and the knock back on it is actually decent so you can reset positioning with it as an attack also. outside of people using B moves that can charge or delay like quick draw and pit's arrow though the applications are limited. it's far safer to farore's an Ike that you don't know when he's gonna let go than it is to try to feint it.

Top Bottom