• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

techchasing

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Just wanna check

vs fox or falco..suppose i'm techchasing...there is no way for me to wait to see if they tech in place and then dash as they tech to the side to catch up?

ie i have to pick a spot and then go there...?

AS Money

Smash Lord
you should have time to wait and see where they are going though most good falco/fox's will switch it up

ie tech in place/DI away tech tword/DI away tech away. also they may try to shine you cuz its a fast attack

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
is sheik's dash really as fast as their teching motion? or maybe i wavedash instead?

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
Her dash is fast, and their teching motion ends with them getting to their feet, which isn't that quick, you will most likely be able to grab them or dash attack before they can do anything. If they are smart they might try to shine you or spot dodge, but I am usually able to get there before they can do anything. Just keep practicing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you perform a perfect tech-chase, they have no responses. If you screw up the direction but switched direction quickly enough to avoid a sticky-walk, they'll have enough time to pull off a spot-dodge or Shine. If it's a spot-dodge, get into the pattern of dash-canceling into a D-Smash, it'll connect when the spot-dodge animation ends.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yeah...if you are doing true tech chasing...then you can wait for them to do something and react...if they tech in place...you can just grab them again right there...if they tech away...you have enough time to run after them and grab again....(this takes practice to get yur reflexes fast enough to react)....the trickiest thing that i find..is when they dont tech at all...it throws me of eveytime...lol..peace

-hiroshi

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Hiroshi, every time they DONT tech i just have to downsmash them right away... usually ends my tech chasing. But if someone were fast enough with there reactions and thinking, they would still be able to grab them however they get up... because they can only stay down for a few seconds before the game forces them up.

Mikael's secondary character is sheik and he does alot of techchasing, he does it well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zNQETkADaAc

shoe

Smash Ace
I don't know about any framedata or anything, but tech-chasing can be a bit harder in PAL. Because d-throw sends them further away, so with away-DI and away tech its kinda hard to chase them. To solve this, I always wavedash to where they are going to land after being d-thrown, from there, its just their tech, which is the same as in NTSC.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I personally like wavedashing back once to be ready for the non-directional tech. then i can dash in and grab again. though if he rolls the opposite direction of my wavedash, it gets difficult. that and if he doesn't tech, his get-back-up attack reaches farther than one wavedash length. its frustrating, but it really screws up people who think not rolling and shining is the best move ever.

nice1

Smash Lord
what i do is start dd and look for which way they go. Sometimes i say forget it and guess which way they go before they make that move. I play fox and falcos that like to sidestep when i try to grab them when they get up from a roll because i acted too late. So now i just follow them and do a down smash. It works pretty good

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Haha... thats exactly what i thought when i first saw it, i thought "all this ***** do is grab!"

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
If they dont tech just jab.

The problem with that video is that the fox has time to sidestep or shine 2 out of the 4 tech chase grabs that are performed...

Not to mention the fox only DI's a few things in that video correctly to begin with.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so does jab allow a regrab on fox falco and others?

also, if they tech in place and then immediately shine can i not just stand there and grab? i ahave to wavedash back and then regrab?

i haven't actually met anyone who does this yet..so i haven't learned to deal with it..anyways, i'll teach my friend to try that next time i see him and then try to learn to counter it i guess.

i guess i can't really just shield and wait for the regrab unless my timing is perfect.basically the fox will wait till i send out my hand to shine..if i just shield he'll roll away and if i try to grab i get shined?

is it possible though to time the grab to grab them right as they tech in place before they are allowed to act and shine? i don't know how many frames occur in which they are grabbable before the shine comes out? are you able to act on the first turn you come up from a tech? i would assume not, else you couldn't smash people teching in place before their shield comes up

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
A very good thing to do while tech chasing is the dash attack cancel grab (or whatever its called) it makes things so easy, i just watch for them teching in place, and if they go to the side instead, i can get them even if they are already half way there since this grab technique goes so far so fast.

Seems to work best for me anyways.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Let me see if I can answer some of these right...

If they tech in place, probably the only way you can grab before they have a chance to counter with a Shine is if you predicted that they'd tech in place and grabbed as they got up. Shielding the shine does little unless they don't immediately jump out of it.

Top Bottom