• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech in progress: A hub for experimental Megaman tech!

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
The best way to find new tech is through experimenting, so I set up this thread so we can share cool concepts and ideas that have the potential to be real tech. If we work on this together I'm sure we can all push the Megaman meta to the next level! Get your lab coats on and let's think outside the box!

Here is the first thing we could look at together, it seems this is not a true lemon lock combo but it definitely has potential.

How do you think we could push this tech forward?

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Sorry to shut this down so quickly, but Falcon actually isn't being locked by leaf shield after the foot stool; according to your video, he should actually be able to act before the first leaf actually touches him. As proof, leaf shield hits Falcon four times before you Mega Upper; if your opponent is locked on the ground, they can only be hit 3 times before being given invincibility frames.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
with enough practice, this could be a great follow up out of breaking a shield. We should find out the best way to break shields that is consistent

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Sorry to shut this down so quickly, but Falcon actually isn't being locked by leaf shield after the foot stool; according to your video, he should actually be able to act before the first leaf actually touches him. As proof, leaf shield hits Falcon four times before you Mega Upper; if your opponent is locked on the ground, they can only be hit 3 times before being given invincibility frames.
Thanks for the heads up, what tweaks do you think need to be made to make it a true lock?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Honestly, given Leaf Shield's start up (around 53 frames iirc?) and the amount of time you have to lock someone (~22-24 frames), it may not even be possible unfortunately. :( I think that the best that you could hope for is to just fast fall and use pellets to try to lock the opponent.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Honestly, given Leaf Shield's start up (around 53 frames iirc?) and the amount of time you have to lock someone (~22-24 frames), it may not even be possible unfortunately. :( I think that the best that you could hope for is to just fast fall and use pellets to try to lock the opponent.
Yeah after grinding all eve trying to get it to work, I realised that this is probably the case.

On a more positive note while trying to land this tech I found a true combo.

It seems that point blank short hop downthrow metal blade true combos into Utilt from 0% up until around 90% and does 22dmg.

I guess every cloud has a silver lining eh :)

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
I guess it would probably be a good idea to collapse this thread due to the main tech being discussed not currently being viable. Instead of this thread I'll open another where we can share "tech in progress" which when refined can be added to the main tech thread.

Get your lab coats on Mega mains, its time to do some experimenting!

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
you can also change the title of the thread if you want change. Just go to thread options on this thread. Thread options should be at right hand corner

edit: seems you already did. great title and great thread

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
SH zigma upper works too.

And I think this has already been said but Zdrop to Usmash combod at higher percents on pretty much everyone.

Depending on which side the MB hits determines which way they fly.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Mega Man has several combos of his auto cancel dair.* This is because Dair on grounded opponent sends them at a 45 degree angle. Some only work on fast fallers (all of this was tested on Sheik) but here you go anyway.
The percentages do not account for DI or Rage.

50-80%: Dair - Up Smash (25 damage)
60-90%- Dair - Back Air (24 damage, kills near ledge)
50-64%: Dair - Up Tilt (29 damage, only works on fast fallers, can kill with bad DI or if the opponent is Fox)

At around 50, the Dair sends the opponent really low and there's a good chance they'll miss the tech. You can jab lock them there.

*Dair auto cancels from Short Hop Double Jump height. You can also achieve the window by full hopping, fairing, then jumping again and using Dair. Experiment with other ways to do it.

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Mega Man has several combos of his auto cancel dair.* This is because Dair on grounded opponent sends them at a 45 degree angle. Some only work on fast fallers (all of this was tested on Sheik) but here you go anyway.
The percentages do not account for DI or Rage.

50-80%: Dair - Up Smash (25 damage)
60-90%- Dair - Back Air (24 damage, kills near ledge)
50-64%: Dair - Up Tilt (29 damage, only works on fast fallers, can kill with bad DI or if the opponent is Fox)

At around 50, the Dair sends the opponent really low and there's a good chance they'll miss the tech. You can jab lock them there.

*Dair auto cancels from Short Hop Double Jump height. You can also achieve the window by full hopping, fairing, then jumping again and using Dair. Experiment with other ways to do it.
This sounds really good especially the jab lock potential, are there any videos of this tech in use? If not could you record a match and post it to YouTube?

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Didn't think to save replays of it. :( Next time I pull something off, I'll save it.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Didn't think to save replays of it. :( Next time I pull something off, I'll save it.
If you just want to show the tech being pulled off do a 3 min match using two controllers and have the second "player" as you training dummy. That's how I usually record my tech videos.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Oh, you just want videos of how the move is supposed to look? Ok, here you go.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Those are really nice combos. Didn't realize it has a nice angle like that.

Do you have to double jump auto cancel to get these to work tho?

And how do you know which way it will send them?

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Those are really nice combos. Didn't realize it has a nice angle like that.

Do you have to double jump auto cancel to get these to work tho?

And how do you know which way it will send them?
You have to autocancel for most of them to work.

The dair sends the character flying in the opposite direction they got him from. That means that if the dair hits on the character's left side, they will go flying right and vice versa.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I don't think the DAir can actually 100% true combo into UTilts, but most of these are nice. If only I managed to land a DAir onstage...

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
How much does DI affect the viability of these combos?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Leaf Shield being as slow as it is, the only way I see you getting a jab lock with it is setting up a knockback while leaf shield is up (footstool, metal blade or early leaf shield hits on a platform)

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Oh, you just want videos of how the move is supposed to look? Ok, here you go.

These combos looks awesome! Thanks for the upload bro, I can't wait to try these out!

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Watch carefully. Diddy Kong only got hit by 2 leaves before the leaf shield disappeared.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Not new tech but a character specific punish (the first Uair KO on Kirby), managed to land this a few times last night thought I'd share.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
well, I dont know if this is new tech, but this has been working for me with metal blade. And I don't see anyone talking about setups you can do by locking your opp in an item-pickup. Here's what you do

>jump and neutral down- b to the floor and make the metalblade spaced at the tip of your opponents jab
>land, wait a bit, opponent jabs, but picks up your metal blade
>read their item pickup
>up tilt

its either their jab or their item pick up that extends their hitbox to get punished by up tilt. Of course, this is defintly on your opp's choice, but with enough conditioning you can make them spam jab and land this combo

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
well, I dont know if this is new tech, but this has been working for me with metal blade. And I don't see anyone talking about setups you can do by locking your opp in an item-pickup. Here's what you do

>jump and neutral down- b to the floor and make the metalblade spaced at the tip of your opponents jab
>read their item pickup
>up tilt

its either their jab or their item pick up that extends their hitbox to get punished by up tilt. Of course, this is defintly on your opp's choice, but with enough conditioning you can make them spam jab and land this combo
I definitely see a lot of potential in this, anything which limits your opponents choices is worthy of pursuit. I've been experimenting with this a little as well. Looking forward to see what other applications this has.

ShiroSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sycho-Ashura777
3DS FC
5026-4570-3155
Not really positive on new techs but these might give ideas:

Lemon jab lock into up tilt

Metal blade is your best friend(Sorry, Rush). Always use it for everything.

Leaf Shield into grab into back throw for tons of damage

Short hopping + Bair or Fair is pretty spacey.

When a character is literally under the ledge about to recover, METAL BLADEEEEEE!!!!!!

Become a nature bomber and use leaf shield as a ledge guarder by getting in the robot master's way of recovering?

Spamming Rush is quite useful for making megaman an air fighter...

I dunno. Maybe one of those might make someone brainstorm. It's tough to figure out this character.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
The result of this evenings labwork, some practical applications of ledge denial using jab (pellets):

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398

>read their item pickup
>up tilt

I do this a lot it can work really well.

I usually do this as a variation of the pwn call upper (dthrow MB to upper)

If they don't get hit by the mb many times they will go to pick it up and if they do then you can still do the upper if you double jump.

Also if they pick it up and throw it you can get fall and upper them with the endlag on the throw.

A lot of the time people don't realize how much endlag is on throwing it grounded and a a fake landing to double jump to fast fall upper can do wonders.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Just came across this nice bit of tech:

Definitely going to be hitting the lab hard to see what we can get out of this, RAR > slide pivot and down-back MB > slide pivot seem like they have potential, I can't wait to see what you guys find.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea this has been around for a while you don't really have to do anything special for it which is nice.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Here is a video about the Crash Bomb.

I already knew about UThrow > CB Kill and about the Back Arm thingy (Note that a DThrow will transfer CB to your Opponent if it is on your back arm) , but seeing someone make a vid about them is actually pretty nice.
Oh, and your voice & editing skills are good, no worries XD

P.S.: There are times when you can use Slide and not get the Crash Bomb on you. Worth a note.

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
So it seems Leaf-Shield can cause a turn-around.

I took this into training mode and it seems it's easy to replicate both on jumping opponents and on standing. May be good for catching opponents off guard.

You perform it by hitting an opponent with LS while drifting backwards.

:)

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You sure the opponent didn't accidentally B reverse the upB?

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
You sure the opponent didn't accidentally B reverse the upB?
He had the habit of mashing upB, the leaf shield turned him around before he UpB'd. He was too busy mashing and didn't realise he was facing the wrong way.

Top Bottom