• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Consistancy: Buttons, Tips and Techniques

Acryte

Smash Ace
[Introduction]

As you all know, fox is the fastest character in the game. not only does he require quick reflexes but also quick hands. Due to the nature of his game in general and the rapid inputs necessary at times, it is known that he is more difficult to be consistent with. This is nothing new and is quoted all over by m2k etc. What is fox's limiting factor, what holds back the utility of his tech from being the peak of theory-craft metagame? Hand speed. The faster and more precise the inputs are, the more difficult to be consistent with them. The more difficult the options, the more limited they become based off of risk/reward. Every time you mess up a tech you need to question:

1) why did I input it wrong, can't I get it to 100% consistency... what feasibly is a realistic percentage?

2) Would a different configuration of buttons help in my consistency with this technique?

3) Are there certain tips or methods that could aid in my consistency with this technique?

4) If two configurations have the same consistency and I can't get it 100%, does one leave me in a worse position than the other? (different outcomes off mistake)

An important fact that need be said: NOT ALL BUTTONS ARE CREATED EQUAL. Period.
X and Y and Up may achieve the same result but they are not the same. They are located on different parts of the controller that cause the hand to reach differently in order to get to each one. At times, some buttons may be more awkward to press from certain positions than others such as Marth's retreating shorthop double fair when facing right (while techniques like slipping your thumb off the left side of Y and flicking the thumb back to the right to catch the top of the C-stick makes it easy).

What buttons are around it?... is it clumped near another button which affects your consistency because its easy to hit the other button on accident? The shape of the button vs the other, depending on the precision required, may also make one button more useful at performing an action than another. For instance if you tried to flick off the Y button going top to bottom to short hop dair with c-stick, the Y button may stick without depressing due to its shape.

Even things like using Up to jump, or not C-sticking dsmashes might cause you to be DI'ing upward/downward when you might not want to be, in case you get caught by an attack.
Some buttons even utilize a different hand... such as use of L vs R, or Up to jump. One hand might be doing something that makes it harder to time other things accurately... or one button might allow one hand to do the whole action, removing the use of the other hand and/or having to coordinate both hands together, from the equation.

There are many differences between each button and it is safe to say that although multiple buttons may accomplish the same task, they are in fact very different, and that using one button over another, when difficult tasks are being performed, may in time have an effect on one's general consistency in performing that technique.

The nature of this thread is not merely another "What button do you like to jump with? I like button ____". It is purpose oriented with preference based on the effectiveness of the button configurations in use, as far as overall ease and thus CONSISTENCY is concerned with Fox... as well as discussion of button pressing techniques that aid in greater overall consistency, such as flicking off a button or the way one might roll his finger from one to another etc.

Let's not get it twisted. I understand that a Lovage or any other high level fox could accomplish a drillshine per say with Y or X, L or R, or any other button configuration consistently. This issue is whether or not you are making it easier/harder on yourself based off that configuration and therefore may result in a greater/lesser overall consistency from match to match or day to day. Consistency with space animals is especially important because they get punished hard.

The reason I'm concentrating on fox is because other character's techniques don't require such fast and precise burst inputs to where it might actually affect their consistency regarding which buttons are used. For example, Falco is slow enough because of his laggy jump that you can use whatever button you want and still be consistent... since his tech, after practice, is fairly easy. Though there may be tips you have to make doing these kinds of techs more consistent regardless of the button used, and so this thread could also move towards improving consistency with techs for all characters that have difficult or possibly inconsistent techs, and in that case may cover more characters than fox. For the opening intent of it however, I'll start it off focused primarily on Fox.

Like I said, just because you can drillshine by tapping Y most the time without error doesn't mean it's as consistent an option overall vs an easier setup.. especially when you are tired, on lower amounts of sleep, or if your hands are growing fatigued from long hours of play... all are possible conditions, especially when long tournaments are concerned.

[Button Dis/Advantages]

So then to start us off I will ask: What generally might make one button or method more appealing and/or might reduce the difficulty of certain tech?

Well, as you come to find the most consistent button configs for each technique, do they all fit together well so that it feels natural to transition from one to the other? Does it feel natural to wavedash and then go from that to SHDL or to go from waveshining to grab, or multishines or into SHFFLED shine aerial pressure? Whatever you in the moment decide you want to do, you should be able to perform it and it should flow naturally. Some configs might make one thing easy but going from that to another thing hard because your buttons configs don't work together.

Do you sometimes mess up and it costs you a stock because you accidentally illusion when trying to turnaround waveshine to ledgegrab or don't jump before ledge-hopped lasers or nairs etc and you fall to your death? Even if it happens only every once in a great while, it happened, and there may be a better button setup or techniques you could use to make it go away for good... Lest it rear its ugly head when it actually counts and the pressure is on.

Can you simplify a tech that requires multiple button inputs into fewer actions? Such as waveshining into a single motion? A single motion when put into muscle memory will be more consistent than actively trying to make each input or over complicate it, and makes it easier to free up your mind from thinking about what you are pressing to actually concentrating on things like spacing and reads. This should go without saying. Therefore, does simplifying the action make some buttons more effective than others? For example, jumping with up may cause you to use 2 hands (besides the basic directionals) complicating what could be a more simple task and adding more factors for error.

First, I'll throw out my overall config based off of ease of use and consistency, then I will break down the methods and reasons for each as well as techniques I use in performing each one, taking special note of techniques and tips for improving consistency when applicable. The grayed out ones are generally unimportant as the tech is not difficult, though the buttons used for it may flow better with the overall config than others and are thus provided. Lastly before I go into my config, I will discuss some major button techniques and the advantages/disadvantages of them concerning fox's shorthop.

[Sliding and Slipping over Tapping [Short Hops]]

If speed in pressing the button such as the duration it's held down (Fox's sh) is a factor then you may realize that sliding across X for example is extremely easy and takes the whole "speed of pressing" out of the equation. With so few frames to properly shorthop, when you use tapping methods, you have to:

1) Press down
2) Release

Not only do you have to be very quick doing the 1st, you must also be equally fast doing the second. When using the slide method, you simply drag across X, and the friction rapidly depresses the button. Doing this, you can EASILY shorthop 50 times in a row out of shines in 2X speed in training mode. Pretty easy. The tapping method however is much harder to do consistently and you will notice that when speed is a factor you're more likely to mess it up than the slide method. In training mode under 2X it is actually difficult perform. Slipping off the button in the case of Y, is closer than slipping off X, and is faster to get out nair and more smoothly transitions to C stick than X, but B is very close and can often be hit accidentally and there are better methods than slipping off Y when not using B moves out of shorthop. But these aren't the only things that factor into sliding over slipping and tapping... When tapping, because you have to to it so quickly, you must get your thumb into position correctly on the button (most likely flesh with the button and using a certain part of your thumb). The same with slipping off Y and X. When using tapping methods, how loosely/firmly you are holding the controller will also affect how long its held down during the initial press. These things all affect it negatively. You may find yourself missing the jump entirely sometimes, if you didn't get into position over the button fast enough, and will watch what should have been a SHFFLED nair become a dash attack for example or a dair become a dsmash. Sliding across X however is very lenient both in positioning beforehand and also how loosely/firmly you are gripping the controller. It takes a lot of the variables and factors for error out of the equation.

[Acryte's Config [Fox]]

Hand position - Thumb generally anchored with top touching Y and bottom touching or hovering just above A. Transitions easily into wavedash, SHDL, Multishine, or where straightening the thumb can press Y and then A for sh nairs (comes out really fast which makes it easier for me to shorthop the nair and then move backwards off the shield out of grab range sometimes), though I need to stop using Y for that eventually since I full hop on occasion, it just feels natural in getting out the fast nair while rising.

Short Hop - if A is pressed, slide across X... if not pressed, most likely Y because my thumb is generally anchored there touching Y and A. However, I am getting into the habit of pressing A when doing things that have lengthy lags such as wavedashes etc if I know I will be dashing soon, that way I can do a slide across X for my shorthop, instead of relying on Y which is more prone to **** ups. This is is a good thing to plan on when approaching because if you **** up and accidentally dash attack you are likely to get grabbed and subsequently *****. Also, I don't try to depress A when in landing lag as it isn't quite long enough to safely and consistently opt for it when I could end up jabbing and leaving myself open.

The L and R buttons - L/R/Z I press with index fingers. Nothing special here. The use of L for L canceling allows the right hand to handle all complicated wavedash/waveshine shenanigans, while the left handles L-cancels, techs and shielding [normal/light/PS/rolls/dodges/shieldgrabs] and I JC grab with Y and Z so it's the same motion as a wavedash but using Z instead of R. This provides good distribution so neither hand has too much going on and each hand has self-contained and simple motions. Neither L, R, or Z require rapid depressing, which is important for L/R because they are spring oriented and take time to both press and release, as well as being pressure-sensitive which allows you easy control over how lightly you shield when waveshielding. Also, when L-Canceling, pressing L after pressing down on the control stick for FF'ing is very natural as one follows the other, and they are adjacent fingers on the same hand, making it very easy to change the stagger of L presses with your FFs depending on height.

Wavedash - Press Y hard and slide thumb off the left side while pressing R. Both fingers move the same basically, synchronized, and the jump lag between different characters is staggered based off the distance between fingers. I don't like wavedashing with L, other than splitting up what could be a simpler motion done by one hand, its more awkward to wavedash left while pressing L unless you claw grip. The motion where the thumb slips off Y isn't necessary but it is similar to the motion done when multishining and SHDL and therefore gets you tuned to doing that motion, making it seem more natural to be in position when you want to go from a wavedash into one of those options, your finger just continues moving down to B.

Waveshine - My thumb is in a slightly different position than the wavedash position. The wavedash position start over the Y button but slightly on the left side of it, whereas the position I use with the waveshine is touching B with the base of my thumb and the rest of the thumb is either barely touching the left edge of Y and maybe the edge of the A button, kinda tucked in that empty spot there, or not touching Y and A at all. Press Down B and then as you do the standard pincer movement with the thumb and index finger, the top of your thumb will automatically brush and slip off the inside left of Y. The thumb position makes it so you don't have to try and press B and then reach for Y which is more to the right and out of the way, it is just there already and is pressed effortlessly. As the thumb rolls and the top presses Y, it will slide downward overall and retract as the knuckle pulls back. It's like simply squeezing the thumb and index finger in a synchronized pincer-like motion. Afterward, the thumb remains in the location for more waveshines, SHDL, and wavedashes, and chains easily to drillshine, multishine, and SHFFLED Shine aerial pressure. Basically it all flows together. Minimal hand travel necessary.

VERY EASY Drillshine (not against walls so drillwaveshine technically) - Down B, Roll thumb sideways from B to A (KEEP HOLDING A) continue rolling thumb and press down on Y to jump out of shine, WD with R, rock thumb back letting up on Y and releasing R while still holding A, flick across X for shorthop, C-Stick dair, FF, L-cancel with L. Just make sure to press A real soon after B. Helps if your thumb rolls sideways from B to A and then rolls upwards from A to Y. If you press A after Y then you could possibly Grab out of shine or jump into fair. If you see this happening, make that small adjustment and it shouldn't happen ever again. Since you remove the hand-speed factor of the shorthop as well as any precise finger positioning, it makes drillshines almost as easy as waveshining, the only difficulty being in controlling how much you DI in the air with the control stick so you don't overshoot them while dairing and have to turnaround with your shine, which is standard knowledge and practice.

SHDL - press Y with top right side of thumb moving it left and letting the thumb slip off Y to B. Press B 2 times.

Multishine - same as SHDL movements but press down with B

VERY EASY Shine aerial shield pressure / drillshine against walls - Down B, flick across A and then across X, C-stick Aerial or press A for nairs. FF, L- Cancel with L. rinse and repeat. Great practice with the timing for this is in training mode. In the Smash Podcast with Lucky, he talks about a game he and mang0 used to play in Training mode with Fox vs Peach on fourside where you get her against the wall and try to get your combo to 100 hits. This will greatly improve your consistency with the timing of shine and aerials out of shine. Don't worry about FF'ing when you don't have a C-stick, just hold down since its more of a ***** without one, but once you go back into VS. mode and you have it at your disposal, it will become super easy, FF and everything. This is where you can see mang0 getting off vs armadas shield like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlkaDMiIpys Shield pressure like that is actually very easy to do with the right button configurations because you don't even have to worry about full hops at all. Also a small habit, when I SHUFFLE airs into waveshines I always let the control stick go neutral before pressing down B for shine, except for nairs which feel more complicated due to not being able to c-stick them so I continue holding down like you'd normally do when landing on a plat into shines etc. This is a general precaution I developed having to play against peach players often so as not to be caught DI'ing down in case of dsmashes.

Waveshining Backwards/ Shine turnarounds - when doing waveshines backward without turning around, I always press down B and then very quickly rotate opposite the direction I want to go, and then after my control stick gets there (it should be there before you are able to do something from the shine) and I am able to jump, press jump while immediately starting to rotate the control stick back in the opposite direction, aka the direction you want to wavedash in. This will make sure that you never accidentally turn around which will flub your timing for when you try to jump out of shine and you will probably end up sitting there waiting to be punished or worse yet, possibly giving up ledge. The problem with the basic way of doing them is that down is very close to turning around, when alternatively rotating the other way first, you'll have a lot more room for the rotation and stick movement in the proper direction before you'll turn around. This is like a safety cushion and doesn't make the shining any slower.With shine turnaround wavedash back, it works the same, you rotate in the opposite direction you want to waveshine in and then once its there, the moment after he has turned around, press jump and then rotate back in the direction you want to go. Same thing basically, but now you have similar movements for both the turnaround waveshine backward and the waveshine backward. regular shines where you turn around in it to face the direction you WD in only get messed up if you don't wait that extra moment for the turn around before jumping out, so just correct your timing and put that extra pause in there.

Shine Grabs - Down B, Up, Z (using Up/Up Diagonal for jump allows you the choice to turn around for the grab, like if you daired behind them and then shined, you could turn around with the grab)

Shine Bairs - When I shine bair to make sure I always turn around to face the proper direction when needed, it's simplest if you press down B and then rotate in an arc from down to the left/right and then keep taking it upward and then just C stick the bair.

Shine Usmash - Down B, Up + A easier than C-sticking it. requires fast input and B to A is much less distance than to the C-stick.

Ledge Phantasm Stall - C-stick away from ledge, Forward+B immediately afterward. C-stick against the inside right of the thumb, tip of the thumb on the B button. When facing right however, just reverse that and put the C-stick on the inside left of the thumb. not really useful as fox, but as falco can provide a surprise meteor or be used as stall to refresh invincibility frames etc, remember you can be edgehogged. Mainly just for fun but its super easy.

[Ending Comments]

So hopefully this might serve as a forum for aiding and developing techniques to assist any players who have consistency problems possibly correct their issues and at perform techniques more solidly, while providing answers to questions about the advantages and disadvantages of using certain button configurations over others... so that they choose their buttons wisely, and play more consistently overall. That way instead of concentrating on accurately pulling off tech and making sure they don't drop combos, they can concern themselves entirely with the more important aspects of play like spacing and reads.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Great post, very useful. When I get back from my trip in a few days and can play melee, I was planning on really trying to nail a lot of fox tech stuff, so this will be very helpful to read over again while I practice.

joeplicate

Smash Master
VERY VERY VERY big red flags coming up

i used to think the same thing
"oh, it'll be easier down the road to do (insert tech skill) if i switch triggers, hold the controller a different way, press R with a different finger, or hit the buttons with a different part of my thumb...."

it takes an INCREDIBLY long time to switch until you're comfortable with the new configuration of buttons, and even if it was only meant for a change in one things, subtle differences will affect your muscle memory and screw up your ability to do different tech skills

barring some serious, serious hand pain,
the best way to press the buttons is the one that gives you the most consistency. PERIOD.

the best way of pressing buttons? it's the one that you're used to, more often than not; the one that gets your moves to come out!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!
more often than not, switching buttons is an enormous handicap, and even if you have the best intentions you can end up sucking **** cause of it

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
it takes an INCREDIBLY long time to switch until you're comfortable with the new configuration of buttons, and even if it was only meant for a change in one things, subtle differences will affect your muscle memory and screw up your ability to do different tech skills
I played something like 6 or 7 years without any knowledge of the competitive game, I jumped with the stick, did my aerials with A+stick, did not jc grab, and to a lesser extent didn't have a clue about wavedash or l cancel. I was better than any of my opponents so what would have been the point in learning how to short hop?

After I discovered the competitive scene of Melee, it took me a few weeks to change all of these bad habits. I also picked a whole new character in order to minimize the preconceived combinations I had in mind and in my fingers. A few weeks is a long time, but it made me quite better I think. I wasn't comfortable at all with all of this in the beginning, but now I can do whatever I did before, I'm faster, more accurate, and I can do even more stuff.

I know we're speaking about changing configurations for waveshine, shdl, or other complicated moves (plus, in my case, I could just switch characters, which is not possible when practicing such specific moves), but I think it's quite possible to change your habits, in not such an incredibly long time.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I played something like 6 or 7 years without any knowledge of the competitive game, I jumped with the stick, did my aerials with A+stick, did not jc grab, and to a lesser extent didn't have a clue about wavedash or l cancel. I was better than any of my opponents so what would have been the point in learning how to short hop?

After I discovered the competitive scene of Melee, it took me a few weeks to change all of these bad habits. I also picked a whole new character in order to minimize the preconceived combinations I had in mind and in my fingers. A few weeks is a long time, but it made me quite better I think. I wasn't comfortable at all with all of this in the beginning, but now I can do whatever I did before, I'm faster, more accurate, and I can do even more stuff.

I know we're speaking about changing configurations for waveshine, shdl, or other complicated moves (plus, in my case, I could just switch characters, which is not possible when practicing such specific moves), but I think it's quite possible to change your habits, in not such an incredibly long time.
But those habits are the easiest to change. He was talking about changing, say waveshining habits. Waveshining usually involves a lot of muscle memory to perfect it and changing configurations will mean having to re-memorize that technique. The more difficult the technique, the more difficult to re-learn it.

So, I definitely agree to stick with the configuration that you do best with. I mean, I use the L button to do everything, shield, L-cancel, wavedash, etc and I can do all the vital techniques just fine like that. I can even wavedash OoS using only L.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
My $0.02:

Use Y to jump, including JC shines

Use R for everything forever except for...

Use L to shield when you wavedash oos (since you'd use R for the wavedash)

yea

that's what I do

Nintendude

Smash Hero
This is an interesting idea and I think it has implications for a new concept in Smash: "proper technique". Just like with the piano, you can have good technique or bad technique. Both can technically achieve the same result, but good technique is easier on your hands, allows for greater consistency, more control, etc. People who properly develop their technique are able to learn new pieces more easily and expand their technical repertoire, while those with flawed technique reach a kind of "technical peak" that prevents them from getting much better after a certain point. I think this is completely analogous to Smash and Acryte has some great ideas for proper technique.

Bad habits are really hard to change especially if they are completely ingrained in your fingers, but newer players might want to place some more thought into their technical development.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Something else I'd like to add. If you've played Halo, Halo 2, or Halo 3 (MLG rulesets of course) then you're probably familiar with the different control schemes and variations on grips and finger positions. I used to hold an xbox controller how everyone else did, thumb pressing the face buttons, but once I found out about claw grip and how useful it was I switched to that. It took me weeks to get comfortable using, but now I always play xbox with claw grip. That phase got me into wanting to try some other control schemes on the games and after a lot of practice with different ones and switching between them frequently, I became proficient in three that I found were good. So while it may seem best to stick with what you're comfortable with on the GC controller, you can adapt to different grips and finger positions if you put in the practice. I however have not put in this practice in smash and have a hard time clawing the gamecube controller, using x to jump, I have the hardest time wavedashing with R (I use L for wavedash and shield). So I've got some practice to put in as well.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm sure some people have trouble changing button configurations, but it's definitely easier for others. I was trying to shield drop L-cancelled aerials with L for the shield and the L-cancel, and it only took me 4-5 hours of playing to get used to using R instead of L for the shield drop. I'm sure more complicated moves are harder, but I feel like if you sit down and practice it with some semblance of consistency, you will catch on much faster than if you only practice the new button in game. Once your brain maps a certain button for a certain use, it's hard to change WHILE you are using it. Instead, go run around an empty stage and use the new button until your brain associates the new button as being the same as the old one. Switching buttons for techniques becomes much easier, and from there and it usually just a matter of doing it enough that the muscle memory is consistent (for example, if you switch from JCing usmashes with A to the C-stick, even after you consistently remember to use the C-stick, you might still accidently hit the C-stick the wrong way because you haven't performed it enough times).

joeplicate

Smash Master
well, don't say i warn you

(i've "switched" 3 or 4 times, and practiced tech skill everyday, and there's STILL a lot that you lose....)

i still think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

if you can do tech skill perfectly the way you're already doing it, what's the point in changing? are you gonna learn how to do it *more* perfectly? gimme a break, dude.

try telling lovage he should wavedash out of shield with R and shdl with Y instead of analog jump
i'm 99.9% sure he'd tell you to eat a ****

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
well, don't say i warn you

(i've "switched" 3 or 4 times, and practiced tech skill everyday, and there's STILL a lot that you lose....)

i still think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

if you can do tech skill perfectly the way you're already doing it, what's the point in changing? are you gonna learn how to do it *more* perfectly? gimme a break, dude.

try telling lovage he should wavedash out of shield with R and shdl with Y instead of analog jump
i'm 99.9% sure he'd tell you to eat a ****
LOL xD

I agree though, unless you originally had a great deal of trouble performing the tech there doesn't really seem to be a reason to switch buttons.

I've never even bothered to use R and X at all, and I think my fox is consistent enough and I don't really have plans on switching. *shrugs*

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
i saw this thread title, and i thought, oh cool. then i saw how long it was, i didn't read it, and might read it, but good job

Acryte

Smash Ace
lol lovage obviously doesn't have a consistency problem. Not everyone has the hands of a heart surgeon on crack. Some people may not be near as consistent just using whatever goes, and it might not be as good an idea for them if their hands can't accurately keep up. Like I said, if it gets you killed sometimes, and you feel like changing it would be beneficial, then go for it. If you don't want to then don't. No one will come to your house and put a gun to your head :)

Also I'm sure people like lovage, sw, etc are pretty happy with whatever configs they are using regardless as they have great results, I'd love to hear if they had other little pointers, tips and techniques they use in order to achieve consistent results when doing tech that all the non super-saiyans generally find themselves to be inconsistent at. Like I said, it can double as a technique discussion thread for helping people become more consistent, which I feel could help a lot of players. I'm sure they have a lot of knowledge in those areas

Zodiac

Smash Master
To keep consistency here are my tips....

Find techniques you like..practice the hell out of them until you can do them with your eyes closed.

joeplicate

Smash Master
different good/technical foxes to things different ways

lovage uses up on the control stick to jump (with Y occasionally), mew2king (who used to be the pinnacle of technical consistency) only uses X and R iirc, and shiz wiz uses every button (so i've heard)

if you have a problem doing a particular tech, like if you end up air-dodging too early and suicide for wavedashes up to the edge, or if you accidentally side-B while doing turnaround shines or JC shines with the analog stick, i think it's a better use of your time to try to iron out your bad habits the way you already do things.

if you adopt a whole new system, you're basically starting over from scratch, and there will almost inevitably be NEW problems with the new control scheme you've got going on.

don't throw the baby out with the bath water!!!

super technical space animals aren't technical because they're on some other level, because they've got "crack surgeon hands" or whatever you said, they're technical because they've PLAYED and PRACTICED a lot.

my advice to any noob who wants to get more technical:
stick to the way things are best for you, and practice, practice, practice!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Eggm

Smash Hero
yeah i'd say that

just do what u already know n00bs
I agree with this.

I only use L and Y exclusively and m2k is the opposite and uses R and X. We are both extremely technical. Just stick with what you are already comfortable with.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I think the problem is the gc controller isnt designed for smash but for all gc games. So there isn't an efficient method that really stands

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I think the problem is the gc controller isnt designed for smash but for all gc games. So there isn't an efficient method that really stands
But even if there were a GCC made specifically for smash, it wouldn't have been made for competitive smash unless it was fanmade.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Playing and practing a lot gets you skilled true, but there are still people who are exceptional and that goes for most things. (And who excel past people who may even practice much more than them)

the best way to press the buttons is the one that gives you the most consistency. PERIOD.
exactly, and if you are not consistent then why wouldn't you think about whether or not you are doing it in a way that makes it more difficult.

lets say you use up to jump out of shines to try and SHDL but no matter how hard you try you end up UP-Bing often and it costs you stocks, why not try another method and see if it happens to be more consistent for you, technically if you messed up the other one but used Y per say, you would just SHL without the second shot so for you, even if the consistency STILL wasn't any better than it was before, it would still be worth it when you weigh consequences of each.

Also, most of the time people just picked up the game and from that moment or that first day or two, they pretty much decided which buttons to use for what. They never really factored in whether it would be harder or not, or even whether other buttons could feel equally as comfortable. Most people didn't put much thought into their buttons choices and most characters metagames have changed so greatly, they may not even play the way they did back when you chose those buttons. When you swap to something that is alot easier to execute such as sliding across X for SH aerial spam from shines, its so easy to do and natural. I used to never use X but once I tried it I realized it was way easier for me and felt more natural too. Just because I used Y before didn't make it feel any less comfortable, and my consistency was better overall simply because I didn't have to try and press the button as quickly as I could anymore. So works both ways, when you try it, it may feel more comfortable than what you had been using before.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Maybe some of the more technical players that are reading this thread could post what grips they use and what buttons they use for different things and the way they execute the techniques? We could make some type of small compilation with each person and then a description of the buttons they use and so on.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
dude, what the **** is with you and your religious worship of people with tech skill?
they're human, just like you
it's way more a matter of practice and experience than technique or genetics (unless you're wobbles), as you seem to imply.

these people aren't magically blessed with the hands of a "heart surgeon on crack." what would even possess you to say that? stop ignoring joe. he's 100% right. it's a matter of practicing what you're used to. changing button configurations isn't worth it.

play more, practice more, and over time, you'll become more consistent. it's that simple (once again, unless you're the one exception of someone who was simply CURSED with genetic hand spasms).

i use x and r, and i get by just fine.

Beat!

Smash Master
exactly, and if you are not consistent then why wouldn't you think about whether or not you are doing it in a way that makes it more difficult.
Or you need to practice more.

Which has been mentioned several times already.

stelzig

Smash Lord
My $0.02:

Use Y to jump, including JC shines

Use R for everything forever except for...

Use L to shield when you wavedash oos (since you'd use R for the wavedash)

yea

that's what I do
My $0.01:

Use X to jump, including JC shines

Use Up to jump out of shines when you want to shine-bair/dair/UpB (do the aerial with cstick)

Use L for everything,,,

Also to shield when you wavedash oos (where you still use L to wavedash as well)

yep

That's what I do

Superspright

Smash Lord
okay. that's impossible to do consistently. nice story though. I just claw my right hand. Ring on R, Middle on Z (for l-canceling) index on the jump, and my thumb hops around for b,a, and the c stick.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Idk why there is such an argument over discussing the advantages and disadvantages of what buttons you use. Replicate said that its not worth swapping because he has tried it and it makes you worse

affect your muscle memory and screw up your ability to do different tech skills
And yet the argument is that if you can't be consistent then just practice more. So... then you'd just practice more. But, you may or may not have a harder time changing than someone else. You already know the timing, it would probably only take a day or two to a week at most before you were completely comfortable with the change. I can't see why it would be such a terrible thing or not worth the effort because instead of a day or two of practice, you could just keep practicing it in a more difficult way for weeks on end because change is the worst possible thing.

Mistakes are gonna happen every once in a while, its no stretch to think that if you are doing the same thing in a way that is simply more difficult, that it won't occur more frequently, or that if the consequence of messing up one is negligible and the other fatal, that it might be worth it to SOME people to consider changing how they perform it. To simply try something else out and see if it works better for them. If you aren't one of those people that is fine, but to anyone who is wondering what their options are and feels that it is WORTH IT TO THEM, idk why you have a problem with that.

If I was skateboarding and I was having problems with doing a trick THAT I HAVE PRACTICED, and someone told me a different technique or way to place my foot that makes it alot easier, who argues against the person letting them know their options and says **** THAT MAN, JUST GO PRACTICE MORE (to every tip or suggestion). It wouldn't take me very long to be comfortable with the new method but at the same time might require much less practice for better long-term consistency. It might make things a lot easier on myself. I can try it if I feel its worth it, or decide I'm fine with what I have, but why's it be necessary to argue about the idea of trying things differently?

To say regardless of if its easier or harder, is more or less risky, or may feel more or less comfortable then what you're doing, "THAT'S STUPID. JUST DO IT HOW YOU HAVE BEEN, AND PRACTICE MORE."

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea i havn't read **** here except joe's posts

but i wanna let all u guys in on a little secret

wanna know how i got really technical at smash

i practiced every day for like 2 years LOL
there u go

u can all be super technical like me now hf with ur crack surgeon ice hands

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
if someone tells you how to do a skateboarding trick, they're not teaching you a shortcut. they're showing you how to not do it wrong. you were probably doing it wrong before and doing something that failed to manipulate physics correctly and do the trick.

there's no wrong way to do stuff in melee as long as you're inputting the commands that need to be put in.

Acryte

Smash Ace
hahaha i don't rly feel bad about not reading any of those posts
I like how instead of having a productive discussion the entire thread is derailed by the notion that change = inconsistent. inconsistent = you didnt practice enough.

And that if you don't care about what buttons you use you still can't provide any actual discussion about things you do WHEN YOU PRACTICE certain things in the way you do something that can help in consistency. This thread isn't about becoming better without practice its about tips and the like so that you can get more out of the practice you're doing

joeplicate

Smash Master
i realized the reason why i initially didn't read your posts fully, and it's because your writing style is stupid hard to understand

you have sick run-ons, your sentences basically lack consistency and intelligibility

i'm not trying to put you on blast (too badly), but the reason why i haven't evaluated many of your arguments is because you make them incredibly difficult to understand, and i don't feel like putting the time in

this is something we do thousands of times a day--in fact, it's a survival skill on the internet--so don't get too butthurt about it

[that if you don't care about what buttons you use]
[you still can't provide any actual discussion]
[about things you do (WHEN YOU PRACTICE certain things in the way you do something)]
[that can help in consistency.]
???
you start that sentence off with a dependent clause, don't use any commas or break up your chain of thought at all, and i can't tell if "still can't provide any discussion" was meant to be a jab at me, or if it was another one of the "notions" you talked about earlier (which were derailing the thread), and if the quality of "not being able to provide any discussion" is reliant on "not caring about which buttons to use"....

plus, what is a thing i do, when i practice certain things, in the way i do something

without being too unkind, i'm trying to say that your ideas are a jumbled mess, so it's no wonder i haven't gone through the trouble of contributing much to the discussion (by your standards). especially considering the facts that a.) i've gone through most, if not all, of what you've describing, and b.) i think it's a bad idea based on my own experience.

i really don't want you to get mad over this, because i don't care that much, and i don't want to have to write more or have it turn into a flame war, but your meaning is just completely unclear. even though you type a lot, it seems like you don't say much.

(and i KNOW you're not trying to make the argument "well, since you haven't read everything, you have no right to talk!!!")

my advice for technical consistency (if you really wanna know):
press your buttons very deliberately (don't spam AT ALL), make every move part of a plan, don't panic, and try to incorporate new techs into your game based on situations they would be useful in. :oneeye:

Top Bottom