• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
*Attempts feebly to project positivity patience and hope on Ian*

Hold up now. After watching the clip several times something feels off, but I can’t put my finger on it. The fact that Krystal is bouncing on her feet suggests otherwise and what if that was one of her costumes to choose from? I know I’m grasping at straws here, but we really can’t say she is an assist trophy yet because we haven’t legitimately seen her materialize from the assist trophy item in the game.
AT's have probably been made more high quality and stuff. More animations and higher quality models since the Switch can handle it. Wii U could've too but partly that game was measured with the 3DS's abilities in mind.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Wait a minute.....I did also notice there isn't a summon or exit animation for Krystal
Probably because she was summoned before the clip and wasn't done yet either. ATs hang around. The longer she hangs around the better to me. Course, you could have a point and it's because she's not actually an AT... but seems very stretchy. We'll see.

Maybe she is playable and an AT, but when she's on stage Alfonzo takes over~

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I do doubt Krystal is anything but an AT, and I have made peace with that, regardless, it does bode well for her chances to be playable if we do get another Smash game

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I do doubt Krystal is anything but an AT, and I have made peace with that, regardless, it does bode well for her chances to be playable if we do get another Smash game
Plus, I'll love seeing her and sharing the stage with her even if I'm not playing her. Just more exposure. The next thing is to hope that racing game is true and she gets exposure there too. I mean, racing games, especially with recognizable characters, are all about various characters. Can't hardly have a racing game roster with few characters.

I just remember back when we thought this Smash would come sooner and be more port-like... my expectation was that Krystal's chances were slim to none unless she could come back in her own series first somehow, which seemed unlikely since Zero was still fresh... but now here we are and it feels like Star Fox is getting new life. She may yet soon appear in her own series again. Her appearance in Smash bodes well among many other examples, even if it's not a "full" representation.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Never mind about my earlier statement. I’m currently watching the tree house live and there playing the new Smash again. Unfortunately, during one of the matches one of the players used an Assist Trophy item and out popped Krystal. Krystal is officially confirmed as an assist. Well I’m not pre-ordering this game I’m just gonna wait till it goes down in price then buy it.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know if anything, this means I’m for a Mii Costume of her and Waluigi since it’s usually a sign that Sakurai is aware of them being wanted. (Hence K. Rool, Geno etc)

Not a guarantee obviously but atleast an awareness.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
oh ok, guess i'll go screw myself then

still though, i stand by what i said about hope for next time. it'll be quite a few years off, but maybe she'll have had a better role in her own series by then.

just as well i guess, if i got ridley AND krystal i'd have nothing left to wish for in the next game. AT is a fair consolation prize for now.

now i'm outta here, for real this time. see you in a few years, guys.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Unlike last time, this actually fills me with hope, that we will see her playable in the next Smash game, look at the Ridley fans, they have been asking for him since Melee, and their persistence finally paid off

I know I am double posting, but we shouldn't treat Krystal getting in as an AT as a failure, we should take it as a temporary setback and a reason for us to push for her to be playable even harder next time around

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm happy that there's an elevated level of representation. An assist is nothing to sneeze at. That's development time that went into making a full 3D model of Krystal and animating it. It's huge acknowledgement for a character that's been inactive for 12 years and is as sure a popularity indicator as there is given those circumstances. Certainly, I view it as a stepping stone to playable status.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm happy that there's an elevated level of representation. An assist is nothing to sneeze at. That's development time that went into making a full 3D model of Krystal and animating it. It's huge acknowledgement for a character that's been inactive for 12 years and is as sure a popularity indicator as there is given those circumstances. Certainly, I view it as a stepping stone to playable status.
I agree, and if she gets a prominent role in the next Star Fox game, we will see her finally become playable in the next Smash Bros

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Unlike last time, this actually fills me with hope, that we will see her playable in the next Smash game, look at the Ridley fans, they have been asking for him since Melee, and their persistence finally paid off
but she isn't as popular (or important) as Ridley.

if waluigi can't be in Smash, then things are obviously even more bleak for Krystal's chances.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Well thats a bit of a shame after everything but I suppose its good to take the positives from the reveal as well. After nothing was shown off in the trailer I'd initially planned to watch through the treehouse events or continue to show some support through Twitter or Smashboards in the hope that something came about it, until I saw a post confirming her as an AT. I suppose its quite disheartening as its essentially diminished any chance of her as a fighter this time around, but looking at it as people have been saying, to go from a trophy and Support conversation to an assist trophy seems to be an indication of her popularity (possibly as a compromise to her fans as maybe there simply wasn't enough time to include her and this at least involved her in some way) and could potentially lead to a more significant role later on in the future.

From what I can remember this is also the first time we've had a full 3D model of her since Assault and is pretty much the first time we actually get to see her wield her staff beyond that brief period in Adventures at the end and show a bit of her ability as a staff wielder and fighter. So all in all whilst not the ideal outcome it at least shows the development teams are aware she has her fans and that she still forms an important part of the Star Fox franchise and Nintendo as a whole. And with the Star Fox GP rumour still alive alongside the fact that the developers of StarLink haven't yet confirmed or denied her inclusion means there's still potential for her making a new appearance in the near future and still remaining an important part of the Star Fox universe. I guess I'll miss my frequent trips to Twitter and Smashboards to show my own little bit of support for her this time around but there's always next time and so long as Star Fox is around I'll always make sure to have faith, remain hopeful and continue my support for her for the future :) .

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Th

Your negativity has always been unwanted, this is a Krystal SUPPORT thread, if you don't have anything positive to say, LEAVE!
what did i say that was bad? you compared her to Ridley and i simply disagreed. There are degrees of popularity/notoriety among character requests. you also have to factor in relevance to the series they come from and nintendo in general (if that character is not 3rd party).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
what did i say that was bad? you compared her to Ridley and i simply disagreed. There are degrees of popularity/notoriety among character requests. you also have to factor in relevance to the series they come from and nintendo in general (if that character is not 3rd party).
Except, Waluigi has never appeared in a main series Mario game, Krystal HAS appeared in a main series Star Fox game, and in all 3 of them she did play a significant role in the game. Waluigi only has a meme following

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Except, Waluigi has never appeared in a main series Mario game, Krystal HAS appeared in a main series Star Fox game, and in all 3 of them she did play a significant role
Krystal prior to her assist trophy cameo, hasn't appeared in a game in over a decade. Secondary characters need some relevance to be included.

otherwise, they become too obscure to sell in a game full of Nintendo All Stars. Star Fox was lucky to even get Wolf tbh.

Palutena was in the same position of Krystal until the Kid Icarus revival (but Sakurai's bias from being hands on in that series also helped).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Krystal prior to her assist trophy cameo, hasn't appeared in a game in over a decade. Secondary characters need some relevance to be included.

otherwise, they become too obscure to sell in a game full of Nintendo All Stars. Star Fox was lucky to even get Wolf tbh.

Palutena was in the same position of Krystal until the Kid Icarus revival (but Sakurai's bias from being hands on in that series also helped).
She wasn't a secondary character

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Although I'm sad to see Krystal has become an Assist Trophy, it's at least better than nothing. One step closer to playable, if you ask me.

Maybe next time, we'll see her pull through as playable.
Could we please just FREAKING stop having assist trophies in Smash (There's no reason to have them in the ****ing game)!

They're nothing more than a giant middle finger to multiple people who wanted certain character's in the game and it's beyond Stupid, Lazy, ****ing lazy programming from a developer who should know better a this point for God's sake (Either just put them on the roster or don't include them at all)!

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I just want to add... I actually think it's pretty sweet she made it as an AT.

~Krystal~ made a good point. Not only can this be seen as a stepping stone, but I feel like this can be seen as a result of our efforts here in part. She's not had a significant role in her own series in such a long time, it would be easy to forget her. I think her AT appearance was our votes at work. Same with Bomberman. No one could say that now is the best time for Krystal to have a bit more light shown on her in Smash.. that was pre-Brawl. And yet she's been upgraded. I'm pretty pleased thinking that we very well were a part of this happening and what it says about her likely return in her own series.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
She wasn't a secondary character
i'll put it this way then. You can have a Star Fox game without Krystal, but you can't have a Star Fox game without Fox. He is the one that mostly matters.

Star Fox has become a series that is too dormant to warrant more spots for other characters anyways. i will be surprised if they get anymore newcomers in the future unless the series starts becoming active again

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I just want to add... I actually think it's pretty sweet she made it as an AT.

~Krystal~ made a good point. Not only can this be seen as a stepping stone, but I feel like this can be seen as a result of our efforts here in part. She's not had a significant role in her own series in such a long time, it would be easy to forget her. I think her AT appearance was our votes at work. Same with Bomberman. No one could say that now is the best time for Krystal to have a bit more light shown on her in Smash.. that was pre-Brawl. And yet she's been upgraded. I'm pretty pleased thinking that we very well were a part of this happening and what it says about her likely return in her own series.
I agree with that completely, we should also push harder for her inclusion as a full fledged fighter next time around

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Oh Krystal's an AT? Must have been shown during the Treehouse, because I don't really follow that. Nvm, it was Fox's video.

Almost feels a little back-handed as a reveal, but it is what it is. Would have preferred a more straight-forward reveal during the actual E3 presentation. The wind otherwise gets taken out of the sails a little too quickly, so to speak.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Oh Krystal's an AT? Must have been shown during the Treehouse, because I don't really follow that. Nvm, it was Fox's video.

Almost feels a little back-handed as a reveal, but it is what it is. Would have preferred a more straight-forward reveal during the actual E3 presentation. The wind otherwise gets taken out of the sails a little too quickly, so to speak.
Don't feel too bad Random, it's better than how she was featured in the last 2 games, and is a message that we should push harder next time around

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Anyway, if Krystal gets a prominent role in the next Star Fox game, with Ridley (and hopefully Geno or Rool) finally getting in there's much less competition for our favorite Blue Vixen next time around, which is good

Draxis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xShadowSladexx
It good to see you guys taking Krystal being an assist trophy pretty well, including you IanTheGamer IanTheGamer and the others in the Krystal discord (not saying you would go ballistic that Krystal is an AT but rather that you guys would give up on her kinda like the Isaac fans, I did expected for Jack and Cabal to get trigger seeing that happens often in the discord unless that is just a joke they like to do lol).
Anyway, I will say that this is kinda a win situation tho it depends on how you guys see it but this means that Nintendo/Sakurai look into her and finally started using her after so many years of her absent (tho that is kinda a starfox thing but she finally has a new animation and she is using her staff like we wanted). So don't lose hope guys she might appear playable one day (just look at Ridley ).

Oh yes and Ian what is this Remnants of Cerinia you are talking about?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It good to see you guys taking Krystal being an assist trophy pretty well, including you IanTheGamer IanTheGamer and the others in the Krystal discord (not saying you would go ballistic that Krystal is an AT but rather that you guys would give up on her kinda like the Isaac fans, I did expected for Jack and Cabal to get trigger seeing that happens often in the discord unless that is just a joke they like to do lol).
Anyway, I will say that this is kinda a win situation tho it depends on how you guys see it but this means that Nintendo/Sakurai look into her and finally started using her after so many years of her absent (tho that is kinda a starfox thing but she finally has a new animation and she is using her staff like we wanted). So don't lose hope guys she might appear playable one day (just look at Ridley ).

Oh yes and Ian what is this Remnants of Cerinia you are talking about?
A social group formed after Smash 4, as a way of coordinating ways to get Krystal in this Smash game and to keep the gang together

Top Bottom