• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Liquid adds Smash division - Picks up Ken and KoreanDJ

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Team Liquid today announced the pick up of Ken and KoreanDJ as their entrance into the Smash scene. Details of the announcement, other than that the players have been added to the Team Liquid Pro roster for eSports, are sparse. Both Ken and KoreanDJ went through a long retirement from Smash Melee after 2007 and it will be interesting to see if this sponsorship rekindles their fire to play the game. Team Liquid is best known for being the hub of the Starcraft community, but has recently expanded into other PC Games - Dota 2 and Hearthstone. Whether Team Liquid plans to expand into other fighting games, notably Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom - remains to be seen.

The announcement video

TeamLiquid said:
Last October a documentary was released that followed the players and competitive scene of Super Smash Brothers Melee. It received a lot of praise and I would go as far as to say that I have never seen better esports content. If you haven't seen it I would check it out as it's a nice way to relax, and will make it easy to understand why we're adding players for Smash.

I've been pretty focused on just a couple games and after seeing the documentary it was like a whole new world opened up. I was blown away by the depth of this game and that it was still going strong after so many years without any support. The scene that is behind Smash is amazing. The game is 13 years old and has stood the test of time over and over again. The game is deep and deserving of being an esport.

After many years of absence in 2013 Smash Melee made it's return to EVO, the largest fighting game tournament in the world. It snuck in through the backdoor by winning a poll measured in charity donations. It shocked the world by getting 700 entrants, the most ever for a Smash tournament, and 130,000 unique viewers, the second most watched game out of all eight games at EVO. At Anaheim, MLG will be bringing Smash back after a long, long absence. After 13 years, the game might just see their biggest year yet.

Smash is a bit of an outcast in the fighting game community. As an esport there hasn't been support from Nintendo and the balance of the game is largely held in place by many bugs that were never intended to be in there. It reminds me a lot of Brood War in so many ways.

The players we start a team with are KoreanDJ and Ken, two legends that together with our announcement will announce their official comeback to competitive Smash. They're incredible players and personalities. Ken actually is a huge BW/SC2/Dota, and Liquid fan and appeared on the popular TV show Survivor. KoreanDJ used to visit TL over ten years ago for BW replays and plays an amazing violin.

Super Smash Bros. Melee takes it's place as Team Liquid's third competitive team, alongside Starcraft 2 and Dota 2.

Follow Liquid`Ken and Liquid`KDJ on Twitter.

Source: TeamLiquid.net

Last edited by a moderator:

strawhats

Smash Master
so apropos for ken to be sponsored by team liquid. That marth, aggressive yet flows like water

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
No one ever told me Christmas was the day after St. Patrick's Day.
Some say it's just a myth, but I truly believe in the hype.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Oh. My. God. Ken being back like this makes me so much more hype for the current state of melee.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm excited to see what Ken and KDJ can do with this. I feel like they've been playing at 80% motivation for the past year or so, not because they don't care but because they needed an extra push to truly return to competition. This should surely provide that push.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
My one regret as a fan of competitive Smash is that I was too young and unaware to see Ken when he was active. Looks like that regret will soon be relieved.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Damn man, I really didn't expect them to come back in full like that but it's definitely a welcome thing. I hope they find the will to get back to the top again.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Omg
LiquidTLO, LiquidTaeja, Ken, and KoreanDj all on the same team

This cannot be happening.

My 2 favorite games in the world and my favorite players on the same team.

This is too good to be true, I think I'm gonna faint

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
I literally started training competitively this week and now this happens! My friends were all saying I was about 10 years too late to get interested xD. Even though i'm just joining the community now I cant help but realize melee is 1000x better than brawl. Anyways i'm super hyped that melee is coming into the spotlight again.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
OMG OMG OMG OMG
You thought this day couldn't get better!? WELL YOU WERE WRONG!
Go Go Gadget announcement voice:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce that INCREDIBLES 2 is officially in the works! :D Hype train rides, free of charge!

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
OMG OMG OMG OMG
You thought this day couldn't get better!? WELL YOU WERE WRONG!
Go Go Gadget announcement voice:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce that INCREDIBLES 2 is officially in the works! :D Hype train rides, free of charge!
Ahhhh finally

imMiyagi

Smash Rookie
I love TL, Ken, KDJ and Smash
Smash is at CEO, EVO and MLG
This is that 20XX **** everyone's talking about.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Smash is getting so much needed attention recently. After MLG, EVO, and CEO, smash is gaining speed quickly in the competative playing field. I'm very excited about this.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I guess this means that they will start practicing a lot harder. I wonder what placings they will get once they have really trained.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
It can only go up from here. I guarantee you, Liquid has started a trend. Other esports teams will start recruiting, and the melee giants will begin to rise again.

Winnings will go from thousands to millions. Championships will be held in big, fancy theater halls. Imagine this, but with Smash Bros.

Strap yourselves in, ladies and gentlemen; this is going to be an era to remember.

Last edited:
Top Bottom