• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaching the Cast the Nature of Psi: A Lucas MU Discussion Topic

No U

Smash Journeyman
So for now, how about everybody post your opinions on matchups that you feel that you are most familiar with. I'll update the OP with peoples' lists who contribute the most (even if it's just a detailed discussion about a single matchup... especially that even) and eventually, I might make a list of the general consensus regarding certain matchups, but I really doubt any sort of general consensus will ever happen in this game until 3.0 has been out for at least a couple months.

And as nice as it sounds to try weekly discussion of particular matchups... that would take forever to get through the cast, so I'd rather people just talk about whatever particular matchups they're most familiar with to get discussion going >_>

[COLLAPSE="my opinions"]
Lucas' # is first.

Sonic: 50-50
Sonic is a very interesting opponent. He has a very strong bait and punish game, capable of dashdancing just outside of hitbox ranges and zipping in to punish very small amounts of lag. Additionally, he has quite a sufficient combo game once he does get a successful approach against Lucas which can be quite difficult to get out of. However, he does tend to lack in priority, and Lucas also has a very sufficient combo game... The biggest difference is Sonic's combos will often lead into attempted gimps that you have to be very careful about, be it a homing attack or fair + spring or 'wait on ledge to downward f-tilt your rising ropesnake', while Lucas' combos lead primarily into strong kill moves. So Lucas' DI has to be really on point, and you have to know the best recovery option at any moment. This is true for all MUs ofc but especially against a decently gimpy sonic.

The best tools Lucas has against sonic, imo, are stage counterpicks and, well, Nair. The good sonic I've played, as well as a few Sonics I've seen online, still often seem to try to abuse his Down-B approach. Nair eats through this like no other (except when it doesn't and randomly trades hits but... it uuuusually eats through this) and leads into combos (often more chains of Nair, or whatever you need for the moment, pkf or ropesnake or mindgame into grab, whatever).

Anyways, counterpicks. My favorite counterpick stage against sonic is FD since I feel the lack of platforms limits his (and most of the cast's) approach options, allowing Lucas freedom to force the opponent into jumping situations that can be punished by spacing well with pkf and things like that. Battlefield also has nice blastzones for Lucas imo, along with PS2 and PS1. Stages like GHZ and FoD and Yoshi's Story are terrible imo because the first two have far too high of star ko zones, and yoshi's small ko zones benefit sonic's limited killing power more than Lucas' imo, and all of them make it fairly easy to approach Lucas with their platforms, since Lucas thrives on owning the bottom level of the stage imo. So yeah, tough but totally doable matchup imo, but be wise with your bans, depending on how the tourney is being run.

Fox: 55-45

Fox is incredibly easy to combo, be it Uthrow into Usmash or Dthrow into Utilt into Utilt into djc Uairx3 into regrab into whatever... and his recovery isn't too hard to dominate with the new Dsmash multi-timing once he's offstage. However, he of course has incredible gimping power and shield pressure and Fox stuff. But Nair often breaks through that, just be careful if your opponent starts CCing it into shine at lower percents and make sure to DI slightly away from the shine hitbox before you land and then continue to shield pressure with djcfair or jump away pkf or what have you. Pkf is also an incredible tool against Fox, who's used to going full aggro and jumping right into combat. It's like a slightly more painful Falco laser against him and not hard to hit with at all.

Just, you know, don't get shined and stuff. Also this is one of very few MUs that I would consider CPing a more high ceiling'd stage, since he's such a fastfaller, Lucas will be more likely to kill him off the side, and Fox's Usmash is worth avoiding. I'd probably go FD or GHZ or Stadium 2 (not 1 with them walls) or possibly Dracula's for CPs. And avoid Yoshi's and WarioWare and possibly Battlefield? idk it's hard to say for sure. I do think Lucas has a slight advantage in this MU though.

Falco: 45-55

Falco is one of the most difficult characters to approach in the game for Lucas, since he's one of very few that has a projectile that simply outclasses Lucas' most of the time. It's still reasonably possible to finesse your way around his lasers into a sneaky DJC pkf which usually ends up trading with a laser... which puts you at a slight advantage because he now has slightly more lag on him so you can use those couple frames to get in there and start spacing shield pressure. And then it's just a matter of making your successful approaches more painful than his successful approaches... which is tough since he bounces Lucas around effortlessly, while Lucas bounces him around.... effortfully? I mean it's very possible but can be tough sometimes since things like magnet land fastfallers into techchase situations instead of easy usmash/other type combo situations.

For this MU I'd actually enjoy more platforms to avoid those lasers. But most importantly, large blastzones give a good advantage too. DL64 isn't out of the question, but I'd lean towards PS2 and Battlefield as well.

Peach: 55-45

Peach is still one of the best gimpers in the game, making recovery quite tricky at times, and her float can neutralize pkf just as well as it neutralizes falco's lasers, but Lucas' Fair and ropesnake provide much better forward options than Falco has to make up for his lasers being ineffective in this MU. And Peach is so floaty that CPing any reasonably low ceilinged stage means she shouldn't live past 100% ideally, at least on half her stocks. I'd even consider Yoshi's story for a CP here, or Smashville, since that platform can give you more options against float and save you from getting gimped that one time that matters... but smashville might have a slightly high ceiling, and I kinda don't like it personally in general >_> so Battlefield and PS1/2 would also probably be solid.

Wolf: 55-45

Like the other space animals, you gotta watch out for him CCing through nair approaches at low percents, and he, like Falco, also has a projectile that simply outclasses ours if he's effectively wavelanding in and out with it. It's ocassionally possible to space a magnet that absorbs a laser and starts shield pressuring him if you predict a waveland in with his laser, but if he wavelands away instead then you're stuck in that absorbing lag and about to get punished so it's better to try to sneak around on platforms and sneak in a fair or djcnair or something instead of powering through the lasers with magnet and pkf since that'll land you in trouble generally.

Wolf has reasonably less gimping power than Falco and Fox, but he can still easily hit you out of reeling up with snake with his Fsmash or a number of other things, so try to make use of that snakesnap technique where you don't raise your head above the edge and expose yourself there. Also, it feels reasonably easier to SDI Wolf's shine than the other Spacies'. An SDI shine tech can really make a big difference in this MU between getting combo'd hard or getting into shield pressure instead.

Luigi: 65-45

Luigi as a character has a really good time with people who rely on comboing with their bodies, and a really difficult time against people with strong disjointed moves... and guess who has lots of strong disjointed moves? It's often painfully easy to bait out a nair from a falling luigi into an Usmash punish, and he will die from that at a very low %, same with Uthrow. Fair outspaces him a lot, but the key is to force him into the air with well spaced pkfs and then use his slow aerial mobility to outspace him with fairs or to get him with pkf/nair when he's getting closer to the ground or in the middle of wavedashing. Dtilt Fsmash is just as effective against Luigi as it is most of the cast (excluding spacies), just remember to angle it up once he's at the percentage to get knocked into the air from it since he's so floaty. Stages with large flat areas are good at taking advantage of Luigi's slow aerial speed... FD is great, Smashville too, Dracula's to a lesser extent. I don't think Lucas has to worry too excruciatingly hard about stages with this MU though. Just make sure you know when he has misfire ready heh.

Toon Link: 50-50

Toon Link is also one of the characters who has a vastly superior projectile game to Lucas. I haven't played against him much in 2.5 but I did quite a bit in 2.1 and I know he's been buffed a bit since then. I would've thought Lucas had a very slight advantage before so I can only assume it's slightly more even now. Toon Link's size and projectiles and nair all work really well against Lucas, but he still suffers from having the worst recovery in the game, once again making CPs a very important aspect of this MU.

Charizard: 60-40

Charizard, as a large character, is very, very fun to combo. He's got some good range on him and some sexy combos, but I feel that Lucas' approach game and subsequent punishments are relatively easier to make painful than Charizard's. Once you get inside a big character it should be very tough for them to get away until they're in a very bad situation.

Captain Falcon: 65-35

I think Lucas can really outspace good old C. Falc.. It reminds me a lot of the Falco vs Falcon MU, except Lucas has a much easier time recovering than Falco does against Falcon with the snake. Falcon still punishes mad hard once he gets his hit, but Lucas can make that hit very hard for him to land.

Ness: 70-30

None of Ness' projectile game works against Lucas, and Lucas has a lot more mobility and approach options imo. And ropesnake is a much better recovery, Ness is still stupidly easy to take advantage of when he's forced to recover.

Anyways I'm definitely getting progressively lazier with this so I'll update more later.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="BairJew's opinion vs Fox"]
FOX: 40-60 (Fox)
Now not to confuse anyone but Lucas is able to win this if played extremely patiently and very cautiously. The huge thing in this match-up is Fox's grab game (uthrow->uair) being amazing against the floatiness of Lucas expecially on smaller stages. Which the stage striking list has made it quite difficult for you to solidly counterpick the stages you would prefer to go to.

Advantages:
-Lucas can chaingrab Fox at lower percents (it is slightly tricky) (Stage with few platforms would be preferable: Ex: Smashville, FD, Melee Poke's, etc.)
-Uthow->Usmash is super amazing at low-mid % (on any spacey basically)
-Uthrow->Uair can lead to some amazing juggling combos at mid %
-You are able to out space with DJC Freeze
-Following on point above it can lead into a few solid hits with a nair or fair combo to rack up decent %
-Retreating nair on the back of the shield is amazingg pressure followed up with magnet shine to WD back is a cute trick to fake the player out.
-Freeze can also set you up for grab shenanigans.

Negatives
-Uthow->Uair
-SPEED
-His pressure game when he gets in
-Shine = Sadness
-Usmash OoS destroys a lot of your pressure options on his shield
-His grab game is extremely dominant in this match-up
-Your pk freeze is slow in comparison to the movement which a good fox player will establish.
[/Collapse]

Master WGS

Smash Lord
You are wrong about Ganondorf.

He has a guaranteed kill if he grabs us. Inescapable dthrow chaingrab to ~ 180% into an unDIable kill move. Admittedly, we can avoid getting grabbed, and outside of it we might be okay, but that's a heck of a tall order with an immense risk. Avoid playing against any Ganondorf who is savvy of this chaingrab.

80-20 Ganondorf's favor.

Oracle

Smash Master
80-20? Thats melee low tier status. I doubt its that bad, especially considering lucas has a really good projectile. Don't go to flat stages and di off the stage lol

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
lol not a single MU worse than even. lol putting out MU ratios against every character when the most recent demo isn't even a month old. Okay.

Ganon kills us off of one grab, but it's reasonable to just play in a way that essentially nullifies his chances of landing one. Similar thing goes for Link, except he has better disjoints and projectiles to help him get the job done. At the end, I don't like putting numbers on MUs because Lucas usually does fine until his opponent lands a grab or grab setup. Which he can avoid fairly well, but that gets boring and people mess up and blahblahblah.

:059:

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
I can't remember what thread it was but someone said Lucas gets combod like a furry. That being said, yeah, we get ***** by Ganon. Ike in 2.1 was fun to play against imo, but it was still a rough fight. But that was to be expected in 2.1 ike. :/ I would have to play more to comment on most of these characters.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Anyone have any experience fighting a good Zelda? I'm having a lot of difficulty against this character when they play a very solid defensive game and although I've tried mixing up my strategies I feel like she has a lot of answers that just shut us down.

Also, No U, why do you think this match-up is in Lucas' favor?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm curious too, about Zelda:lucas.

I personally thought zelda won in 2.1, and not much has changed for either character to make it much different.

Also, like almost every other character board of a character that's argued to either be "top or bottom" in tier placement, (Heck, probably every character board in general) the players (or at least, some players, heck I'm probably slightly guilty of this too.) on their character boards seem to worship their character in their MUs.

Seriously though, no losing MUs for Lucas in your opinion?!

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Lucas has losing matchups, it's just that he can handle himself very well. Matchups I think are losing/even:
  • Sonic
  • Wario
  • Link*
  • Ganondorf
  • Falco*

* Possibly even
1. Sonic is a truly dominant character in P:M, it's hard to explain why I would say this is a losing matchup. Sonic simply has amazing pressure on the entire cast and can homing attack multiple times offstage.

2. Wario's priority is godlike. His air mobility challenges ours and Wario can risk going offstage, even for an easy butt meteor or whatever that thing is while we PK Thunder. Like Link, he can even just jump off an nair. Our PK Thunder can be challenged pretty easily by most moves. I also believe that he is a hard character to gimp.

3. Link can just chaingrab and chase like no tomorrow. I feel this is even though, since Lucas has powerful pressure against Link. But still, dthrow is insane and can lead into a 0-death.

4. Ganondorf is all around one of the most dangerous characters imo. His bair is deadly and hard to avoid. He has a good spacing game and his side special choke thing makes it dangerous to go off stage against him. Lucas is kind of light, so a powerful character like Ganon is not fun to play against.

5. Falco is everyone's bad matchup. His lasers stop everything and we get pillared. Lucas has furry slaying combos, but they require patience to setup, especially against campy/ laser type falco mains.

--
I think Lucas:Zelda is even, not at all losing. PK Freeze can really mess Zelda up and she can get juggled pretty hard. I would recommend defensive play against Lucas as Zelda in this MU. Set up Din's fire and take advantage of your reflector special against PK Freeze. As Lucas, I would recommend a hybrid of offense and defense. Don't barrage the opponent with PK Freeze, use it just to chase. Also, Zelda's teleport is extremely predictable if they abuse it. DACUS is your best friend to punish Zelda's laggy moves. Note that I've only played against 2 Zelda mains, so my advice may not exactly be sound.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
OP's list is a load of crap
Lucas' MU can't be even or better for the rest of the characters, that would ensue melee fox tier

IMO Lucas 35:65 Mario since it's one of the easiest edge guards ever to cape/fireball a lucas to death, not to mention that PKT2 has one of the lowest priorities out there, Mario can Dthrow -> anything Lucas because... well you know, also Lucas's grab game sucks *** and Mario's is godlike, there isn't really a counter for a camping Mario because while PK shine can absorb them it adds up an absorb animation that will get you punished for, Mario is also very hard to PK shine -> wavedash -> u-smash.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I think Lucas:Zelda is even, not at all losing.
I'm pretty much playing the match-up the way you described, but if I ever try to go on the offensive they really easily sheild-grab me with that ridiculous grab. And they rarely throw out moves, just force approaches and defend.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I think the real question for this thread is what can we change the title to so it appropriately matches our video thread.

Contact your inner pedophile and be creative, ladies and gents.

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Dealing With Strangers: A Lucas Matchup Thread or exchange it for Don't Talk To Strangers: A Lucas Matchup Thread

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ both valid thread title ideas.

But honestly, I don't get why we're considering a thread where someone essentially says "I think Lucas has no losing MUs, ask if you want to know why" as a MU thread, especially when there's a "rival" MU thread that tries to promote discussion.

Or is this a "list your opinions on Lucas's MUs and we'll average them because we can", kinda like how the community tier list thing was? That seems more in line with the OP tbh.

No U

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, I mostly just threw out the numbers to facilitate discussion. I guess I just said the Ike one is slightly worse because I feel like Ike can consistently gimp Lucas with little to no effort, whereas other characters require slightly more reads to chase him down far enough to gimp him instead of just running out and fairing twice.

And I didn't honestly know about that ganondorf chaingrab. That being said, I still don't think that makes the MU any worse than 55-45, ganondorf is still a huge character who isn't too difficult to zone out and get heavy combos on. Ice climbers had a selection of essentially 0-death grabs in Melee and that didn't make all their matchups 80-20. Ganondorf has kind of a crappy short grab range so I honestly don't think it should be that huge of a deciding factor, if you counterpick stages that give you the space you need to run circles around him.

The Zelda MU isn't too bad imo because magnet shuts down any sort of far range stally din's fire setups (and pkf should be pressuring her too much to think about that anyways), and her most reliable kill moves (fair/bair) are somewhat more difficult to land on such a small quick character. She's also pretty floaty and dies to our star ko moves at pleasingly low percents. And Burnsey, why are you letting yourself get shield grabbed?

Also, A vehicle, idk how you can say Lucas' grab game sucks when he's the only character I know of that can grab you through your spot dodge every single time? You do have to be careful with your grab timings ofc but if you're smart it's pretty reliable.

And I think I have a decent name for the thread, if you've at least played Mother 3 far enough to know how Lucas gets his powers.

And, edit, I apparently don't know how to edit the title of a thread so if somebody could enlighten me that'd be great. My title idea is "Teaching the cast the nature of psi: a lucas matchup discussion thread" or something along those lines.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
It's very close minded to deflect every attempt to fix this thread and stick with the idea that "Lucas either wins all match ups or he's even" which is flat out wrong.
You can't be serious saying the ganondorf chaingrab to infinity has no real impact on the MU and Lucas still wins it (what?)
Lucas's grab sucks *** because it's long long delay, yes, the dash grab prevent spot dodges, but if Lucas ends up being close to the enemy the grab would just go through because his grab does that: it ignores enemies that are too close. Also the delay the grab causes is so long you can get pushined in the most painful way, it's like spamming warlock punch and hope you'll land one.
If anything someone should close this thread

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Don't Talk To Strangers: A Lucas Matchup Thread
This gets my vote.

Anyway, here's how I think we SHOULD operate this thread (it's not mine, so feel free to ignore this entirely) - Rather than just posting your own thoughts as the OP, reserve the OP for general consensus and suggested strategies for each matchup. Edit it accordingly as we get stuff pinned down for each character.

We could even spend a week on each character and just go one-by-one with a poll and see what most people think the MU numbers are while we post thoughts on how to play it.

But, this is plenty of work and regular editing, so if you're not up to the task, that's cool. MU threads are ultimately opinions, so not everyone will agree, making a big list on the OP not really serve a HUGE purpose besides giving people a starting point for their arguments. That's pretty much why I didn't bother making this thread.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It's just way too early in the metagame for a true MU thread. We can discuss opinions but there's no way we're reaching a true consensus on anything for at least another few months.

Also, +1 for Don't Talk To Strangers.

:phone:

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Mario, Ganon, and Link are difficult. Ganon is easy if the person doesnt know what they're doing, hurts really bad if they do. Link grab is yucky and I personally suck at dealing with camping. On that note is Mario, not only that but he seems to out priortize everything Lucas has. I seem to get cornered by good fire ball and aerial pressure/mix ups to grabs and my normal Lucas combos don't seem to work except for up air chains but those only work for a short time and on mario they don't lead to up smash often. Does anyone know a way to get around mario?

No U

Smash Journeyman
It's very close minded to deflect every attempt to fix this thread and stick with the idea that "Lucas either wins all match ups or he's even" which is flat out wrong.
You can't be serious saying the ganondorf chaingrab to infinity has no real impact on the MU and Lucas still wins it (what?)
Lucas's grab sucks *** because it's long long delay, yes, the dash grab prevent spot dodges, but if Lucas ends up being close to the enemy the grab would just go through because his grab does that: it ignores enemies that are too close. Also the delay the grab causes is so long you can get pushined in the most painful way, it's like spamming warlock punch and hope you'll land one.
If anything someone should close this thread
wow dude you have absolutely terrible reading comprehension don't you?

I'd repeat the things I said that you clearly misunderstood but I think I'll just let you wallow around in your angry little inability to play Lucas

also don't grab too close then noob. I've never had a problem with that because I'm used to it from 2.1. Space your moves properly. And I'm not even going to justify how much more useful it is to grab through predicted spot dodges than to spam warlock punch.

MVP

Smash Ace
how often do you update the first post?

EDIT: this seems more like a pros and cons thread instead of a MU thread

Burnsy

Smash Lord
No offense to you personally No U, but I also don't agree with the current format of our MU thread, it doesn't seem very friendly towards collaboration. Also, I hope we aren't limiting first post MU descriptions to "pros and cons". That isn't enough to understand how to approach a match-up, in my opinion.

Anyway, here's how I think we SHOULD operate this thread (it's not mine, so feel free to ignore this entirely) - Rather than just posting your own thoughts as the OP, reserve the OP for general consensus and suggested strategies for each matchup. Edit it accordingly as we get stuff pinned down for each character.
I agree with this, it makes more sense to spend a week or even longer for us all work together and focus discussion on a specific match-up . A lot of other boards do something like this and it seems to be pretty effective for them. Honestly, everyone has slightly different opinions on match-ups, because we all play different people with different play styles.

This would give everyone time to consider alternative solutions from other players before anyone decides what strategy is "best", and hopefully we can take the points we agree on and update that MU's section in the first post.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Mega bump!

I've heard it's possible to escape from Ganondorf's regrab by doing a DI in a angle of approximately 75 degrees,try doing something like this after Ganon's Dthrow:
if you're facing left:
or
if you're facing right.

He will still be able to upsmash your face though.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Nice find! I'll have to try this, do you know what percent this starts to work at?

This thread really needs to become active again. I think we have a pretty good basic understanding of Lucas himself, we definitely need spend more time talking MUs. Or maybe we should start that new MU thread? I'm open to that. I'll start here, however. I think we should go over Marth again:

I usually end up playing footsies using djc pkf and magnet (into attack/movement options) in mostly safe positioning until I can find or create an opening, and then I go in with combos. Marth is at a good weight and gravity to be combo'd by djc fair chains at low-mid percents. He also dies to dthrow (combo DI) > DACUS.

Marth has a pretty strong advantage in neutral due to his long range, but the silver lining is that Lucas can swat Marth from a somewhat safe distance with his zair, rope snake. Rope snake's head hitbox is disjointed enough to be the size of a small sword, and of course you can also airdodge before you use it for even more application in spacing and footies. Just don't do it if they can cc.

When I win against Marth, it's usually because I try to stay really safe and don't make many glaring mistakes. Currently, I have to put the MU at 60 - 40. I could see it getting really close to even if I could optimize my combos better, especially with the **** that is dair>pop up> usmash.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Nice find! I'll have to try this, do you know what percent this starts to work at?
Well,I think you can do it even at 0%,i'm not sure though,there isn't any ganon players near me so I can't test it now.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I would love to discuss,but I don't have much knowledge about Lucas tricks and gameplay yet,so I can't.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I'm just starting to get enough control over Lucas to start discussing MUs instead of just blindly running around nairing everywhere.

I love fair against swords (meaning Marth and Ike, at least) That's like, how I play sword MUs with Lucas. Space fairs all day. I haven't found anything in the MU that works better, though I haven't tried zair, and I should give that a shot as well to mix up my game a bit more.

WeenusChu

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'd like to contribute some opinions based on personal experience with some of my more talented friends.
I can't really attest to how well we'd hold up nowadays, but during melee we could boast that we used to have Zoso as a practice partner.

My practice buddy and I seem to have a dynamic where whenever we commit ourselves to a game, he Gary Oaks me and picks whatever directly counters me.
I've settled on maining Lucas, so he's casually searching for anything that will counter him for his own amusement.
While he mains Lucario, he frequently switches to Ivysaur.

Ivysaurs current iteration just completely blows my mind, I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this yet.
You cannot get any reactions on crouch cancelling any of her aerials or jabs.
You can play the neutral game with PKF and Razorleaf, but there are no real avenues to get in unless they make a severe spacing mistake.
Ivysaur seems to have really low hitstun, what do you guys call that? Heavy character, Medium Gravity or something?
Her back-air makes it nearly impossible to approach, her CC D-tilt is super crazy strong and for some reason connects with people mid shorthop.
Neglect that even with proper DI you end up above her, which is a nightmare.

Lucas seems ill-equipped to deal with this particularly fast character with a lot of active frames on disjointed attacks.
The best I've been able to get in is with Dash Powershield, and sometimes spacing so I can roll beneath him mid B-air.
Ivysaur is as Touch-Of-Deathable as anyone else in the cast, but finding the opportunities to start a combo much less maintain it against her high hitstun recovery makes the matchup crazy hard.
At least for me anyways.
I couldn't really fathom to guess what realistically the matchup equates to in terms of numbers, but even on my best days for my group it seems to be about 70:30, Ivysaur's favor.

Our meta has gotten a little stagnant.
I'd like to be able to contribute some matchup information on Lucas V Marth, but I rarely get opportunities to play versus Marth.
At a glance it looks Marth favored, but I have a lot of tech I have to experiment with before I can solidly assert that.
I'm going to make a separate post regarding Lucas V Lucario in a moment, I must have played a couple hundred matches of that by this point.

WeenusChu

Smash Cadet
Lucas V Lucario has proven to be a pretty interesting and fun matchup for both sides.
Maybe because both of the characters have really broken mechanics.

The neutral game dynamic seems Lucario favored.
ShadowBall1 and ShadowBall2 offer different types of space control.
ShadowBall1 referring to an uncharged ShadowBall, gives Lucario a parity to PKF.
It is not nearly as mobile, but clearly mobile enough that he can space well with it.
The downside of spamming ShadowBall1 is that all of Lucas' aerials dissipate it, making it unsafe to follow in.

ShadowBall2 gives Lucario something to follow in, and is typically part of his better openers.
The move has a durability that outlasts Lucas' PKF and aerials.
With the ball in play, Lucario usually opts for Dash Attack as it chains into literally every move he has.

Lucas has plenty of options to deal with any ShadowBall2 approach, in pretty much any circumstance.
Often it's easiest just to back up, but Jumping/Rolling it work just as well situation depending.
However, on smaller stages Lucas' escape options become significantly easier to punish.

Lastly, Lucario has a third approach option in his Down-B.
It's pretty unsafe, reading it can give you a free grab.
If he reads that I am planning to PKF or SHFFL, it lets him get in pretty easy however.
The Down-B meta has only recently been introduced to my play pool, so there is still a lot for me to learn about it.

Beyond the neutral game, Lucas seems favored.
Lucas' CC-D-Tilt will set up an automatic Magnet. Out of Magnet, you can generally get Lucario to 70% off of a usual string.
Additionally, Lucas' Jabstring can interrupt a lot of Lucario's attacks and aerials.
Cancelling after the first hit can usually net you a free grab in these cases too. At low percents, D-throw to Shorthop Magnet/Wavedash proves to be a fine set up.

Furthermore, with reasonable spacing/reading, you can set up N-airs to pass through Lucario.
In most cases, my Lucario has been shielding any approaches like this. Ending up behind him, I am impossible to Grab.
The move shieldstabs depending on the state of his shield.
Additionally, if he's caught pressing buttons, this gives me a free ChainGrab set up on any platformless stage.
The ChainGrab is pretty simple and probably relevant to a lot of matchups, it is simply N-Air > LCancel > Jump Cancelled Grab.
You can repeat up to about 45-50% consistently. There are probably a lot of other interesting options out of this.

Lucas's U-Smash and D-Smash are almost entirely irrelevant. But that may be more my fault as I have not found many good set-ups for U-Smash aside from high% D-Airs.
I also typically opt for D-Throw into B-Air, which is probably a bad habit. D-Throw to U-Smash might be a very strong option around 70%.

F-Smash has proven invaluable though. I constantly find sets up for it, and it is so incredibly quick out of Wavedash.
By far my favorite way to punish missed Techs at the moment though is with Shorthop Grounded PKF's, into F-Smash out of it's Jab Reset like property.

I digress, final chunk. Recovery.
This is probably the most interesting and still developing part of the metagame that I have experienced.
Lucas can generally recover from pretty much anywhere and has insanely cool gimp options with Magnet and Reverse-Magnet Airdodge Tether.
It's very easy to dodge a lot of Lucario's EdgeGuarding options through clever use of Tether.
FastFall > Up Airdodge > Tether gets me a lot of mileage. You get a lot of time off-stage thanks to the miracle of Magnet.
Repeatedly pumping it for forward momentum gives you huge Aerial control.
Lucario's best option at this point in time has proven to be watching for the startup of Tether, and Jumping out to D-Air.
Even then, with good DI it just rockets you up and lets you Magnet Pump back to the edge.

Lucario has a really difficult time stopping Lucas' recovery.
Additionally, Lucas' edge wakeup mix-up is so diverse and tremendously safe that there are any number of reasons Lucario cannot stand near the edge.
To name a few examples, Jump Recovery cancelled into Magnet is a fantastic reversal. It is important not to get caught by a Wavedash F-smash however.
Drop/Jump Recovery into F-Air F-Air. Or any combination of F-air, N-air, Magnet.
Drop/Jump Recovery into D-Air if they are hugging the edge.

Edge Guarding Lucario can prove to be pretty difficult as well though, as he still retains some properties of The Brawl Magnet.
The Brawl Magnet referring to the way that a character will instantly grab the edge as they come close to it.
Given that Lucas has nutty offstage game, you can chase Lucario out at nearly all angles.
My favorite style of approach thus far has been using PKF Magnet B-Air, but that's purely for flash reasons.
And also that only really works if he is above the edge.
Beneath the edge, Magnet Pumping can give you so much spacial control that you can land a F-Air with time to Reverse-Magnet Airdodge Tether.

Regarding a Lucario recovering against the stage, and Wall-Clings.
Drop and hold Magnet gives you a really cool gimp option to punish any Lucario trying to abuse Clings.
Besides this, depending on the spacing on his Up-B you can typically catch him with an angled F-Smash or a well timed D-Smash on the edge.
Both of which are techable, so it really depends on how refined the Lucario's tech skill is.

I've run long, and a little unconvincing at times.
But I'd really like to assert that at present, this matchup seems to be 50/50.
Lucas and Lucario both have extremely unique gameplay mechanics with tremendous potential for growth.
And the speed of their gameplay really demonstrates that it's more about the player than the character.

Top Bottom