• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TCR's Vids ** Updated **

Toby.

Smash Master
WHOOOOOOAARRG EPIC

Soooooo...vids. I has them. Feedback would be cool, since the other video thread seems to be more of an index than a chance to get some input from you gaiz. But whatevs. I'm going to upload some friendlies that show my more recent pokemon trainer, because many of the tourney matches involve me doing a lot of stuff that I gave up on a while back. I sort of reverted to old stuff under pressure :(
anyway, vids.

"We Love Smashville" 07/06/09

-Winners Semi Finals vs Tedeth-
[1/2]

[2/2]

-Winner's Final vs Shaya-
Shaya (Marth) vs tcranter (Trainer) [1/3]
Shaya (D3/Marth) vs tcranter (Trainer) [2/3]
Shaya (Marth) vs tcranter (Trainer) [3/3]

-Loser's Final vs Tedeth-
tcranter (Trainer) vs tedeth (Wolf) [1/2]
tcranter (Trainer) vs tedeth (Wolf) [2/2]

"Sydney Can't Beat Novacastria" 12th of April 2009

Grand Final 1 & 2 w/ Aus Commentary vs Shaya (Marth)

Grand Finals 3 & 4 vs Shaya (Marth)

Winners Finals 1 & 2 vs Shaya (Marth)

Losers Finals Vs Scoot (Pit) 1 & 2
and 3 (vs metaknight)

^^ watch these matches vs scoot for EPIC BADNESS. I was really ****.

Doubles =D

Grand Finals

Meteor and TCR (Ness/PT) vs FTS and Tedeth (DK and Wolf) 1-2 and 3-4

Teds Western Sydney Smash

Grand Finals w/ Australian commentary (...lol) vs Shaya (Marth / Dedede)

Here I do an awful lot of inappropriate air dodging. I don't do that anymore :)

Matches 1 and 2 (PT vs MARF)

Matches 3 and 4 (vs Dedede)

Winners Finals vs Shaya (MARF)

Match 1

Match 2

Losers Finals vs Bjay (Wario)

1 and 2

*Note* I spam shellshifting a fair bit here, mostly for lols and to see what he would do. I'd already beaten him pretty thoroughly in a previous match so I was using the time to test the waters and figure out his playstyle a little more. Meh!

Other older stuff

Jab to **** (Shaya / Maurer) vs Rock something [is sexy] (Meteor / tcranter) 1/2

...and 2/2

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Very nice videos (except for the terrible commentary, I mean). Your Squirtle and Charizard played very nicely. Unfortunately, your Ivysaur could really use some work. I saw practically no spacing whatsoever, and you left yourself wide open so counterattacks constantly. You also seemed to pull out Bullet Seed rather randomly, especially against Marth.

As I said, your Squirtle and Charizard sort of made up for it, but I'd sort of go back to the drawing board with Ivysaur. Nice recovery timing, though.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
awesome matches. i was at a tourney the other day. I won my first round and 2nd round faced a DDD. I was killing him with charizard and squirtle then ivy came out and i was up a decent amount on him. he chained grabbed me to the edge and gimpped me. it was pretty gay.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Yeah, like he said. Your Charizard is excellent. You play a very smart game with him, like you did against Shaya's Marth. I think every PT should watch those two in the Grand Finals as examples of a good Charizard against Marth, especially the second one.

Your Squirtle is also very good. I can't really find anything to criticize him on, except I don't get why you use him first in doubles. In my experience, he's the worst of the three, but I do suck with SQuirtle more than I do with the other two.

But you do need to work on your Ivysaur a lot. He's a great punisher, and I saw a good many openings for you to use Bullet Seed where you didn't, and when you did use it, especially against Shaya's Marth, you didn't space it right. You space so well with Charizard, and Ivy's got a great spacing game, so try incorporating that into your matches.

P.S. Flamathrower into PSI Magnet is soooooooooooooo sexy.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Starting with Squirtle is a LOT more viable in team battles and free-for-alls than in singles (especially on certain matchups). His pokes, aerials, and insta-hydroplane make him an asset for separating team-ups on people. He actually makes a better teammate than Ivysaur and Charizard in some cases, because while Ivy and Char have their definite benefits in a 1v1 situation, their key moves take a significant amount of time to wear the opposition down, and while you can pin them down in a 1v1 and give them no viable escapes, a team match is different in that lengthy attacks simply get stopped too easily. Meanwhile Squirtle can weave in and out with his aerials and doesn't leave his back open as much.

The most important thing to remember is that team dynamics are a lot different than singles ones, and a character (or player) that works very, very well in singles might do much worse in team matches. And naturally, the opposite holds true, as well. Squirtle is one of those peculiar cases.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Huh. Charizard just has such area-effect attacks. I never thought about it that way, but I guess you're right. In my defense, I am used to playing with friendly fire off, and that should make a huge difference.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Friendly fire off is like riding a bicycle with training wheels. Friendly fire on is like riding a motorcycle while being blindfolded. Someone is going to get hurt most likely.

Toby.

Smash Master
Thanks for the feedback. Let me assure you that my ivysaur is *usually* far, far better than that. There are a number of factors that went into that day being a sort of strange one for me. I'll upload friendlies to give you guys an idea of my usual ivy :)

squirtle is a really good starting pokemon in doubles, but i have to go to uni now so ill justify my choice later on.

Edit: woohoo using uni internets. So yesh. Squirtle is a really good opener in doubles for a number of reasons. Firstly he's great an combining attacks with your partner because he has the mobility to avoid your partneres hitboxes whilst still hitting the same enemy. He also has great GTFO moves like dthrow and fair that you can save and then use in pivotal moments to suddenly double team the other player.

It's also important to note that a large part of our strategy was to have charizard out in the critical moments where everyone was at high % and my partner would need healing. If you start with squirtle he stocks play out so that you naturally have 'zard out at this time. If you start with zard it can take too long for this to happen, and with ivy you pass him too soon. Ivy is also perfect just after squirtle because opponents are often at mid to high percents, which is perfect for a ness fthrow or dthrow into ivys up air.

oh and another small thought on ivy. even though i played far worse with her than usual, I'd like to point out that vs marth, the character that completely outspaces you and overpowers you, ivy is actually usually better off getting in with lots of dthrow to follow ups and nair strings. If you expect ivy to somehow hover outside marths range and still be effective you are probably mistaken. Anyway i'll upload more accurate representations of my ivy soon and we can go from there.

I'm glad you like my charizard :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
love it. see guys. we dont need more people. the first vid proves it. You heard the guy expressing his ignorance. That is where our power lies. It is our trump card. people will under estemate us. I played a TL Friday and sniped(vine whip sweet spot) him 3 times and killed him twice with it. btw. I love you Charz. its the equivalancy of my squirtle. If I could get ivy and charz up to that kinda skill level, I would be doing so well.

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OF THE CHARIZARD!

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
I didn't mean to hover just outside his range; you just didn't seem to space very well with Ivy. If your usual Ivy is better, great. I just would have no way of knowing what that looks like since you didn't post those. Get those friendlies up! I like people proving they're better than I thought (but only if they main PT!).

Friendly fire off is like riding a bicycle with training wheels. Friendly fire on is like riding a motorcycle while being blindfolded. Someone is going to get hurt most likely.
Somebody put this in their sig. Now.

Toby.

Smash Master
lol nono I was actually talking to Sir 0rion and it was more of a general observation than a direct response to anything. I know my ivy in this videos is te fail :p

i didn't mean to sound so tetchy :(

oh and regarding the previous bullet seed comments...tis tricky. Shaya knows just as much about pokemon trainer as most of the PT mains do, thanks to him doing all the PT frame data and playing me several times a week for a sustained period of time. His bullet seed DI gets him straight out of the move about 80% of the time, so its a move I don't like using in the traditional punishing situations as he'll probably expect it. Thats why I went for the early bullet seed in my first match, because it was during a point where I didn't think he'd expect it. Clearly I was wrong :(

oh and bomber - Squirtle is actually my best as well. It's a decent bit better than my zard imo. I'll try and get some vids up so you can compare :D

Miles.

Smash Champion
TCR you are legit.

Your Zard moves really well.

You are good.

that being said.

Learn to use Ivy's Up Air.

Learn to Foward Hydroplane on command.

AND

STOP

STOP

STOP KEEPING ZARD FATIGUED. You arent letting him die so he never gets renewed (unless hs stays out for 2 mins).

you are constantly switching him back in and it is killing me.

you would have won some of those matches if you didnt play with him fatigued.

Let him die, play next stock as other two. Then use last stock all zard.

or if you are going to go all zard , let him die and then just switch when its safe as fast as you can.

Good stuff.

You have some ways to go still, but you sir are legit. I have seem most of the best pts in real life and you are not to far from the top.

learn to typhdash.

Toby.

Smash Master
Aw thanks IRL.

The hydroplaning was...wierd. I'm usually completely comfortable with it and every time I screwed it up I was really surprised at myself. I guess it was just the pressure of the situations getting me too tense or somesuch. I'll work on it some more.

I was cringing when zard was fatigued as well, but I did it for a very good reason. If I had let him die I would have been forced to send out squirtle fresh. Shaya knows about the grab release infinite and could have killed me with a grab release to tippered dair spike at any time when I was squirtle. It seems like he can also grab release to a tipped fsmash as well. If I sent out squirtle at 0% there was a high chance of me losing an entire stock very quickly.

That having been said, I dont know why I switched from Ivy to zard in the final moments of the lylat match.

I'll defs work on my typh dashing and uair.

I'm glad that you like my PT. That means a lot to me.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
oh and another small thought on ivy. even though i played far worse with her than usual, I'd like to point out that vs marth, the character that completely outspaces you and overpowers you, ivy is actually usually better off getting in with lots of dthrow to follow ups and nair strings. If you expect ivy to somehow hover outside marths range and still be effective you are probably mistaken. Anyway i'll upload more accurate representations of my ivy soon and we can go from there.
Just for the record, I disagree completely with this entire paragraph. There are much, much better ways for Ivy to deal with Marth, and he's one of the few characters I'd give an even chance of spacing him, especially with platforms.

Toby.

Smash Master
I'd be interested if you named the "much, much better ways" ivy has to deal with marth. I know the matchup pretty well, and the marth I play is pretty **** good. It would be nice to see what insight you have that I missed out on.

but bleh this is getting too serious. I dont want to sound aggressive or over confident or whatever. Basically...please elaborate :)

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
Ill be coming down under soon tcranter to visit NZ. I'll see if i can stop by OZ so we can get some games going.

besides that awesome matches I could feel the intensity of the 1st match.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
man we need a world tourny and have it in a completely convenient location >.> Then again that would be way too much work. Though somehow it would be awsome, if I had the time and money, to take a trip to Ausi just for kicks and enter a tourny and fight you as a bonus.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
nice. Man I really need to practice more with PT. though I havent hooked up my wii yet. I've been to busy/lazt too not to mention its no fun practicig on CPUS anymore.

Miles.

Smash Champion
TCR
If you let zard die ( you get moar zard = moar rocksmash= good)
if Squirtle Starts the stock Fresh from Zard Dying You can use your invicibility to switch in Ivy and then you are just one switch away from fresh Zard.

Also dont rocksmash peoples shields. it seems like it should shatter their shield with one hit but sadly it doesnt do much unless sweet spotted.

Toby.

Smash Master
You're right. Unfortunately I often have trouble justifying giving them a free hit on ivysaur. That could either be a tippered shield breaker or fsmash. Marth also has a grab release on ivysaur that leads to a free nair. Tis nasty stuff...but I'll see how it works out and let you know/post a vid.

You are very right about smashing into shields. I have bad rock smashing habits.

Oh and make sure you come go to genesis so we can have friendlies.

Miles.

Smash Champion
You're right. Unfortunately I often have trouble justifying giving them a free hit on ivysaur. That could either be a tippered shield breaker or fsmash. Marth also has a grab release on ivysaur that leads to a free nair. Tis nasty stuff...but I'll see how it works out and let you know/post a vid.

You are very right about smashing into shields. I have bad rock smashing habits.

Oh and make sure you come go to genesis so we can have friendlies.
DAFUK!?! you are coming to genesis?

see you there man!!

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
I saw the Sydney Novacastria ones like a week ago. I have the doubles against FTS and Tedeth downloaded already, haha. Awesome play, awesome teamwork. Lots of great team combos (water gun to Fsmash ftw) and you guys kept each other alive very well. It was quite fun to watch and I learned a lot from it as well.

And your singles games were great as well. I wish I spaced as well as you. Awesome play. I don't really have any right to give advice, seeing as you surpass me in skill by many bounds. Hope to see you more of your rocking pocket monster play. :D

Toby.

Smash Master
I'm glad you liked them :D

I actually like doubles a lot more than singles just because it lets you do crazy team combos like that. Watergun to anything is always awesome. It's also fun using withdraw at your partner and getting them to hit you at the other team. We like to do it with ness' baseball bat, because it looks cool :D

Anyway thanks for the kind words :)

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
No problem at all! :D

That's exactly the reason I'm trying to get good at doubles. My partner and I really enjoy trying to set each other up for some sort of hilarious kill that they don't see coming. And it's just a whole different playstyle than singles. A lot less stressful and just overall more fun.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
You need to work on landing farther away from your opponent when recovering, TCR, instead of airdodging and/or landing in front or behind your opponent and getting punished.

Top Bottom