• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting a taunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Any better feeling than when a toxic player gets over confident and starts taunting (however they may decide to taunt) and you win and do the same right back?

Feels like i did my good deed for the day personally

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
multiple times..but since it's QP it's teabagging..

but it's satisfying and fun because i purposely leave the lobby afterwards so they can stay angry about being defeated and teabagged for teabagging against me xD

and if it's FFA..well teabagging me means i will pick on this player to get them defeated first..and once i do i teabag them each time they lost a stock by me or someone else..but i teabag this player only if others lose a stock i behave normally :D

i only do this if someone disrespects me/teabags me other then that i am pretty chill to play against haha

GhostM

Phantom
It does happen from time from time but it does feel great to return the favor, especially when you get a cheesy but nice combo on them that completely obliterates them. Also great not to replay them again so that they’ll stay salty after you just completely returned the karma against them.

Never experience this in a FFA since I only play 1v1’s, but I guess I would just target the player after they do that and try to delete them and return the favor by teabagging them.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
It does happen from time from time but it does feel great to return the favor, especially when you get a cheesy but nice combo on them that completely obliterates them. Also great not to replay them again so that they’ll stay salty after you just completely returned the karma against them.

Never experience this in a FFA since I only play 1v1’s, but I guess I would just target the player after they do that and try to delete them and return the favor by teabagging them.
So as someone who loves FFA let me let u know how it goes 100% of the time.

Youre there having fun, u two cross paths, theyre good but youre better and by some luck they knock u off and proceed to taunt you. So you go after them and return the favor, they then dedicate their entire round to getting you now and leave Mid round after you beat them some stay to dedicate next round to getting you and if they succeed in taking your lives they spend the rest of the round running from side to side taunting oh and they leave after that to.

Idk why this community is as toxic as it is. Sad part is those players are probably some older dude with unwashed facial hair and a manbun.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I like to give them the "digdug" if I'm doing 2s with a rl friend, who I play Smash a lot with, once it's down to a 2v1. For those of you that don't know, it's an infinite combo that Krool and Ridley can do, where Krool downthrows, Ridley skewers, Krool grabs and downthrows, into another skewer, over and over again.

We reserve this humiliating tactic for people who constantly tbag during the match for no reason.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this has to be said everytime taunting online is brought up, but some people taunt without it being an insult. Maybe something funny happened, or they did a really sick combo, or they just like the way their taunt looks. It's not always an attack on your skill or dignity.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this has to be said everytime taunting online is brought up, but some people taunt without it being an insult. Maybe something funny happened, or they did a really sick combo, or they just like the way their taunt looks. It's not always an attack on your skill or dignity.
Thats not taunting then, im speaking of people who use it specifically for taunting purposes. Its really easy to tell the difference mid game

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Thats not taunting then, im speaking of people who use it specifically for taunting purposes. Its really easy to tell the difference mid game
Taunting is apart of the game. I don’t think there’s a need to feel salty over it. I usually find it amusing when people taunt me.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Taunting is apart of the game. I don’t think there’s a need to feel salty over it. I usually find it amusing when people taunt me.
I dont believe in taunting someone whos simply struggling to do better against me. Seems bad taste and a poor show of character

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I dont believe in taunting someone whos simply struggling to do better against me. Seems bad taste and a poor show of character
Yeah...but it's funny. I don't like how the taunt became the worst thing you can do in this game. If I want to show off my character's funny animations, and you get mad about it, that's not my fault. Taunts can mean many things, taunts can mean nothing. If you get mad that I pressed the D-pad, then maybe I'm not the one with poor character.

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...but it's funny. I don't like how the taunt became the worst thing you can do in this game. If I want to show off my character's funny animations, and you get mad about it, that's not my fault. Taunts can mean many things, taunts can mean nothing. If you get mad that I pressed the D-pad, then maybe I'm not the one with poor character.
Erm theres good taste and bad taste. As a child After a baseball game you all shake hands, we learn how to act. You dont start doing the jig infront of the other team. I feel bad for those of us that grew up with poor parents who never instilled the teachings of good sportsmanship.

Also im more so talking about T-bagging in online quick play. Where matches can get heated. They removed taunting for a reason (see above)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I personally think the coolest use of a taunt is for both opponents to give a "bow" at the beginning of the fight. It's starts things off classy and respectful. The problem is that you can only really do it when playing live so that you and your opponent can agree to do it. If you start an online match with a taunt, you'll probably just get punched in the face for free. Good thing Nintendo allows in-game chat like all the OTHER major platforms....:4pacman:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I personally think the coolest use of a taunt is for both opponents to give a "bow" at the beginning of the fight. It's starts things off classy and respectful. The problem is that you can only really do it when playing live so that you and your opponent can agree to do it. If you start an online match with a taunt, you'll probably just get punched in the face for free. Good thing Nintendo allows in-game chat like all the OTHER major platforms....:4pacman:
Lmao yeah not a good idea in random matches. Itll definitely get you in trouble and id then think unwere being over confident and come at u full force

Firox

Smash Master
Lmao yeah not a good idea in random matches. Itll definitely get you in trouble and id then think unwere being over confident and come at u full force
Then again, I ALWAYS go at my opponent full force, so if I could start with a taunt and still win, I would think that a bigger insult than taunting AFTER I win. lol

Also, reading your earlier post, I agree with your sentiment. Taunting in bad taste is just poor sportsmanship. That said, I think it was kind of stupid and pointless for Tendo to ban online taunting when people can just T-bag for the same effect.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I find the tbagging to be more disrespectful than taunts. At least the taunts are part of the game and were intended for use by the game developers to playfully taunt at your opponents. I think the taunting should be brought back to quickplay if for no other reason than to give people who want to gesture during a match something to do beyond tbagging, as often I find taunts to carry not quite as negative of a connotation.

It is pretty obvious when people are doing it maliciously. I've ran into people who will spend every free fraction of a second they have tbagging, as long as they've accrued a large enough lead to think they've won the match already.

I've had people who I beat the previous match come back and beat me, only to relentlessly tbag half the game every chance they get, then decline a rematch after the win. I'm just like "why?"

I think these are the kinds of opponents the OP is mentioning as being toxic, rather than the player who occasionally gestures (tbags or taunts) when something epic, funny, or really unfortunate happens.

Last edited:

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
You guys take online gameplay way too seriously lol. TBagging and taunting so what? The people you play online are usually randoms who’ll you never meet in real life so who cares? If it makes you feel bad, then don’t play or leave the room. If you actually played smash 4, they had this thing called smash hell. Where people would get put in there if they got reported. I applaud sakurai for getting rid of this. People got to stop getting hurt to the point of making others suffer of an game.

Firox

Smash Master
You guys take online gameplay way too seriously lol. TBagging and taunting so what? The people you play online are usually randoms who’ll you never meet in real life so who cares? If it makes you feel bad, then don’t play or leave the room. If you actually played smash 4, they had this thing called smash hell. Where people would get put in there if they got reported. I applaud sakurai for getting rid of this. People got to stop getting hurt to the point of making others suffer of an game.
Sounds like someone who spent a lot of time in Smash hell for T-bagging and taunting. LOL

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If I or my opponent SD I press and hold duck. If I get string combo'd into the next time zone or get ko'd with a really well timed counter or spike, I tbag (in admiration). I don't really tbag to disrespect my opponents unless they start it in which case yeah it's fair play to do back. If I get tbagged all match and lose I just don't rematch. If I win they usually drop out.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
If I or my opponent SD I press and hold duck. If I get string combo'd into the next time zone or get ko'd with a really well timed counter or spike, I tbag (in admiration). I don't really tbag to disrespect my opponents unless they start it in which case yeah it's fair play to do back. If I get tbagged all match and lose I just don't rematch. If I win they usually drop out.
LOL. That’s the ultimate disrespect. You tbag someone the entire game then afterwards the person who got tbagged leaves? That’s crazy

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think that the greatest advantage of having a move that can bury opponents is that it's an easy ticket to disrespect. Burying someone for an easy follow-up and then instead going for a taunt sends a strong message.

Last edited:

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
I don't taunt back or even tea bag until my win is guaranteed. I usually will just dash dance, though. Because the game appears to slow down, dash dancing looks sillier than it normally does unless you're very quick with moving your left analog anyway. When I do this with Dark Samus, I just think of it as tap dancing on my opponent's face.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
LOL. That’s the ultimate disrespect. You tbag someone the entire game then afterwards the person who got tbagged leaves? That’s crazy
I definitely leave. I prefer serious matches so no items etc. In a ffa or items match its whatever but in a 1v1 I really don't want to KEEP playing against some asinine player who thinks duck taunting every free frame is fun. Especially if they can manage to beat me but even if they can't why invite them to play again? By dropping out at least their chances of getting an opponent who enjoys that sort of thing is better. Really it's why -not- drop out...

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I find the tbagging to be more disrespectful than taunts. At least the taunts are part of the game and were intended for use by the game developers to playfully taunt at your opponents. I think the taunting should be brought back to quickplay if for no other reason than to give people who want to gesture during a match something to do beyond tbagging, as often I find taunts to carry not quite as negative of a connotation.

It is pretty obvious when people are doing it maliciously. I've ran into people who will spend every free fraction of a second they have tbagging, as long as they've accrued a large enough lead to think they've won the match already.

I've had people who I beat the previous match come back and beat me, only to relentlessly tbag half the game every chance they get, then decline a rematch after the win. I'm just like "why?"

I think these are the kinds of opponents the OP is mentioning as being toxic, rather than the player who occasionally gestures (tbags or taunts) when something epic, funny, or really unfortunate happens.
you feel me on this

Sounds like someone who spent a lot of time in Smash hell for T-bagging and taunting. LOL
I was thinking the same thing

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I honestly feel like Smash Ultimate online is a lot more toxic than Smash 4 ever was. The fact that they can troll with rulesets in their favor does not help. Maybe I was just lucky and got matched against players with good sportsmanship. I don't really mind if people taunt/teabag, but usually the ones I see doing it desperately are also the cheesiest players.

Throughout all of the free for all they are teabgagging because of a barrage of PK fire (or whatever) that links into a kill for someone else. I see what they are doing, try to even the odds out, and the others try to clobber me like they're clueless. I decide half way to just take them out of the picture to take care of the teabag/spammer and it usually works.

It also doesn't make sense why they do it so much because usually what happens is someone quits (Don't blame them) and no one gets any gsp. Which is a pain when you're trying to get one fighter out of gsp hell.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
I honestly feel like Smash Ultimate online is a lot more toxic than Smash 4 ever was. The fact that they can troll with rulesets in their favor does not help. Maybe I was just lucky and got matched against players with good sportsmanship. I don't really mind if people taunt/teabag, but usually the ones I see doing it desperately are also the cheesiest players.

Throughout all of the free for all they are teabgagging because of a barrage of PK fire (or whatever) that links into a kill for someone else. I see what they are doing, try to even the odds out, and the others try to clobber me like they're clueless. I decide half way to just take them out of the picture to take care of the teabag/spammer and it usually works.

It also doesn't make sense why they do it so much because usually what happens is someone quits (Don't blame them) and no one gets any gsp. Which is a pain when you're trying to get one fighter out of gsp hell.
I hate when people quit on quickplay. Like why?
I find smash 4 more toxic simply because of smash hell. Smash ultimate is actually very fun - just as long as you don’t take it serious.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice

I hate when people quit on quickplay. Like why?
I find smash 4 more toxic simply because of smash hell. Smash ultimate is actually very fun - just as long as you don’t take it serious.

If someone is being a real bad sport about winning against me and decides its funny to mock me on top of winning, i will leave. Stealing his chance of getting gsp. A 1-2 hour ban is well worth it. I got dinner to cook, laundry to do and texts to send thanks for giving me a reason and it feels good to get last laugh on people like that by making sure they get nothing.

Although i doubt trolls learn their lesson

That takes a great deal of restraint and self control to just let someone like that win and then leave. Props to you for being able to handle it

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If someone is being a real bad sport about winning against me and decides its funny to mock me on top of winning, i will leave. Stealing his chance of getting gsp. A 1-2 hour ban is well worth it. I got dinner to cook, laundry to do and texts to send thanks for giving me a reason and it feels good to get last laugh on people like that by making sure they get nothing.

Although i doubt trolls learn their lesson
Every time a trolls gets trolled, an angel gets its wings...

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I make sure I don't return the taunt until I've won. Last thing I ever want in life is to become a victim of the legendary 'Taunt to get bodied combo'. I'll let them have their fun thinking they're 'getting under my skin', whoop them then just have Pac-Man take a little rest with down taunt like "That was easy, spose I'll just lay here now"

1FC0

Smash Lord
I make sure I don't return the taunt until I've won. Last thing I ever want in life is to become a victim of the legendary 'Taunt to get bodied combo'. I'll let them have their fun thinking they're 'getting under my skin', whoop them then just have Pac-Man take a little rest with down taunt like "That was easy, spose I'll just lay here now"
Why would Pac-Man need to rest if it was easy? If it was easy then he would have energy to spare.
I would sooner interpret a down taunt from Pac-Man at the end of the battle as him saying that the battle was hard and therefore he needs to take a rest to recover from the exertion.

Either way, actions speak louder than words. The fact that you would wait with taunting until the battle is over shows that you were unsure of your victory during the battle and thus betrays the fact that the battle was probably difficult for you. With your taunt you may be trying to say that the battle was easy, but your action of waiting with taunting until the end betrays the fact that you really respected the opponent as a worthy adversary to the extend of not daring to risk a taunt-to-get-bodied combo against him.

If you did not taunt during the battle and want to disrespect your opponent then it's better to not taunt at all since not taunting at all is ambiguous and ambiguity would be better than accidentally revealing your respect in a misguided attempt to tell your opponent that you disrespect him.

Last edited:

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Why would Pac-Man need to rest if it was easy? If it was easy then he would have energy to spare.
I would sooner interpret a down taunt from Pac-Man at the end of the battle as him saying that the battle was hard and therefore he needs to take a rest to recover from the exertion.

Either way, actions speak louder than words. The fact that you would wait with taunting until the battle is over shows that you were unsure of your victory during the battle and thus betrays the fact that the battle was probably difficult for you. With your taunt you may be trying to say that the battle was easy, but your action of waiting with taunting until the end betrays the fact that you really respected the opponent as a worthy adversary to the extend of not daring to risk a taunt-to-get-bodied combo against him.

If you did not taunt during the battle and want to disrespect your opponent then it's better to not taunt at all since not taunting at all is ambiguous and ambiguity would be better than accidentally revealing your respect in a misguided attempt to tell your opponent that you disrespect him.
You’re way overthinking this,dude. Lol

1FC0

Smash Lord
You’re way overthinking this,dude. Lol
I am not. The fact that he does not want to taunt during the match in fear of a taunt-to-get-bodied combo means that he acknowledges that his opponent is good enough to possibly body him and by acknowledging that he is respecting his opponent. Taunting after a battle is just a weak attempt to falsely deny that respect.

I often taunt in battles long before they're finished. Sometimes I even bury my opponent and then waste the opportunity to go for a taunt. That is true disrespect and much more convincing than someone just trying to say a battle was easy despite his actions only showing signs that it really was not.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The idea of the taunt-to-get-bodied combo isn't that one is better than the other more so much as it is arrogance leading to foolish decisions and letting victory slip. I've had it happen where I got complacent against an opponent I've won 10 out 10 matches against but on match 11, I goofed off or let too many mistakes slip in and I lost. Is the person I fought 'better' than me? Statistically at that point, no. But the taunt-to-bodied combo is a real thing that can happen to even the best players. It's a running gag/curse in Smash specifically.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I taunted a player after scoring the first ko (2 stock match) in a crew tryout. He then proceeded to eradicate me. Learned my lesson that day. Sometimes a taunt is all you need to fire up the opponent. I also suspect that somewhere in the game engine a taunt spammer will be punished either by the game not recognizing button inputs causing whiffs or if it is an items match dropping powerful items right next to the losing player kinda thing. That could just be my paranoia though.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The idea of the taunt-to-get-bodied combo isn't that one is better than the other more so much as it is arrogance leading to foolish decisions and letting victory slip. I've had it happen where I got complacent against an opponent I've won 10 out 10 matches against but on match 11, I goofed off or let too many mistakes slip in and I lost. Is the person I fought 'better' than me? Statistically at that point, no. But the taunt-to-bodied combo is a real thing that can happen to even the best players. It's a running gag/curse in Smash specifically.
Then you just need to only taunt when you are not going to goof off. Or risk getting a single taunt-to-get-bodied in order to get 10 good disrespects. A taunt-to-get-bodied is not exactly a taunt-to-get-bodied anymore if you've just won 10-1, especially if the opponent disconnects right after their sole victory which means they gave the score an unfair bias in their favour which would need to be compensated for and increase your score even further. That's taunt-to-body-the-opponent-and-make-him-forfeit.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You're overthinking the 'taunt to get bodied' joke, dude. It's existed in Smash for ages. Fun at parties?

1FC0

Smash Lord
I taunted a player after scoring the first ko (2 stock match) in a crew tryout. He then proceeded to eradicate me. Learned my lesson that day. Sometimes a taunt is all you need to fire up the opponent. I also suspect that somewhere in the game engine a taunt spammer will be punished either by the game not recognizing button inputs causing whiffs or if it is an items match dropping powerful items right next to the losing player kinda thing. That could just be my paranoia though.
I understand what you mean, In order to play well I need to focus fully on the game because otherwise I lose my intuition. So I often drastically improve my game midmatch by starting to concentrate and thus enabling my intuition. I've made a lot of comebacks, even when I was 1-3 behind, and am prone to dealing out taunt-to-get-souped-combo's.

I've met other people who also drastically improved like that, and surprise me by beating me or giving me a greater challenge than I expected. However I normally only taunt people who make basic mistakes and thus give away the fact that they have no skill at all. Skilled people who just are not concentrated enough still won't do extremely dumb stuff like spamming Kirby's vB, they'll do good stuff but at the wrong time because they have the knowledge but are not using their intuition. So by looking at why I am winning I can often tell whether my opponent is holding back or just a noob.

Either way a taunt-to-get-bodied is not that bad. It can be fun to risk a taunt-to-get-bodied against a good player to try to raise the stakes a bit, make the battle more exiting.

1FC0

Smash Lord

stixie

Smash Apprentice
LOL!!

This is a fun thread.

Honestly I REALLY miss taunts in quickplay... I get they didn't want people to be disrespectful but it literally just led to teabagging which is way worse in my opinion. They should bring back character taunts and allow 3 per game.

And this is SOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!! Oh my word.............

The saltiest I EVER get in Ultimate is when I get matched at 5.6M GSP with someone with a janky ruleset/smash balls/etc... I basically rage when that happens. Nintendo REALLY failed HARD in Ultimate online. There should be a For Glory mode that has a SET ruleset everyone must play (3 stock 7 min battlefield or FD - no items - no FS). Then have a Just For Fun area where it's whatever ruleset you have preferred. I actually wouldn't mind a best 2 out of 3 in a For Glory mode where you can change characters and counterpick (tournament legal) stages. This would give you a chance to improve at the game where you actually play the same person multiple times. No "star" (or gsp) lost or gained until the full match is finished.

Online is a dumpster fire honestly. It should also have a system like hearthstone where you gain a star with each win and lose a star with each loss as you go up the ranks. Once you get to "legend" rank (or elite smash in this case) you cannot be knocked out until the end of the season (the month) where EVERYONE is kicked out and they have to get back. GSP is the most worthless number in human history.

Sorry for the rant... I just LOATH Ultimate online mode. I think the entire rest of the game is A++ but the online mode is a solid F.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
There should be a For Glory mode that has a SET ruleset everyone must play (3 stock 7 min battlefield or FD - no items - no FS). Then have a Just For Fun area where it's whatever ruleset you have preferred.
No, that's boring. FFA, items, and time are stupid IMO but FD and BF all the time gets boring too IMO. Besides, where my R.O.B. sits it's almost exclusively 2 or more stock, no items, enough time to very rarily gets a SD, no items, and BF or FD. I normally vote for all stages, yet half of my matches are on FD or BF.

I love the online. I think it's very good.

Last edited:

Superxav12

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-9971-2240
Happens once every session of online mode. I win almost every time someone gets to overconfident. I remember when a peach was taunting me and on her last stock she missed the ledge with her up-b and fell slowly into the blast zone as I teabagged her back, that felt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom