• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting a taunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Happens once every session of online mode. I win almost every time someone gets to overconfident. I remember when a peach was taunting me and on her last stock she missed the ledge with her up-b and fell slowly into the blast zone as I teabagged her back, that felt good.
Did something similar to a peach who even had a toxic name. He took my first stock, tbagged me and taunt walked off the ledge into a gentle float. At this point i sat up and took his stock, tbagged back. He came at me full force, took the second stock and tbagged me hard and taunt skipped again. I took his, tbagged again. The last stock was extremely intense and stressing, i managed to outplay him, upsmashed him so hard he flew into the background all the while i tbagged but before he died, he closes application so i didnt get any gsp

Its like ok so you taunted me, mocked me and you get served back and wanna cry about it didnt matter tho, the win was so much more satisfying than 10 million gsp and still got elite smash that day.

U meet insanely toxic people on your way to elite smash. Peaches, King D3’s, Donkey Kongs and luigis being the worse of them

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
LOL!!

This is a fun thread.

Honestly I REALLY miss taunts in quickplay... I get they didn't want people to be disrespectful but it literally just led to teabagging which is way worse in my opinion. They should bring back character taunts and allow 3 per game.

And this is SOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!! Oh my word.............

The saltiest I EVER get in Ultimate is when I get matched at 5.6M GSP with someone with a janky ruleset/smash balls/etc... I basically rage when that happens. Nintendo REALLY failed HARD in Ultimate online. There should be a For Glory mode that has a SET ruleset everyone must play (3 stock 7 min battlefield or FD - no items - no FS). Then have a Just For Fun area where it's whatever ruleset you have preferred. I actually wouldn't mind a best 2 out of 3 in a For Glory mode where you can change characters and counterpick (tournament legal) stages. This would give you a chance to improve at the game where you actually play the same person multiple times. No "star" (or gsp) lost or gained until the full match is finished.

Online is a dumpster fire honestly. It should also have a system like hearthstone where you gain a star with each win and lose a star with each loss as you go up the ranks. Once you get to "legend" rank (or elite smash in this case) you cannot be knocked out until the end of the season (the month) where EVERYONE is kicked out and they have to get back. GSP is the most worthless number in human history.

Sorry for the rant... I just LOATH Ultimate online mode. I think the entire rest of the game is A++ but the online mode is a solid F.
Its only bad when you take it seriously. If you simply go to online to just like mess around. It actually becomes pretty fun. An adjustment but it can be made.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
No, that's boring. FFA, items, and time are stupid IMO but FD and BF all the time gets boring too IMO. Besides, where my R.O.B. sits it's almost exclusively 2 or more stock, no items, enough time to very rarily gets a SD, no items, and BF or FD. I normally vote for all stages, yet half of my matches are on FD or BF.

I love the online. I think it's very good.
I understand your sentiment but when 1 player is expecting BF or FD stages and gets matched up on something dumb like walk offs or whatever it gives the other player a MASSIVE MASSIVE advantage. I will NEVER agree to that. In fact usually I'll IMMEDIATELY SD all three stocks and block that player.

Now if online did something like have "tournament legal" stages in a for glory mode and a best 2 out of 3 then you could pick and counterpick TOURNAMENT legal stages which I'd be 100% ok with. It'd bring in more variety for sure.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I almost never get bad rulesets when queuing 1v1s in ranked quickplay (the one on the top right corner of the screen). I think the higher you get in GSP, the more likely you are to fight people who are going to be playing with competitive rulesets. Interestingly, I've also found that, as I have gotten better / broken into ES and gotten deeper into it, the higher I am, the less likely I am to encounter disrespectful opponents. Even on a really bad match where I get 3 stocked, it's rare for me to encounter people who tbag and stuff any longer. It seemed super common when I was a lot lower ranked.

When I queue 2v2s it is very common to get rulesets that are not my own. It's also very common to encounter disrespectful opponents who tbag / gesture a lot while winning.

As for the tbagging / taunt thingy, honestly I usually just ignore all of that and play as normal. I very seldom bother tbagging back, even if I beat somebody who is doing it. I don't really see much of a point, as honestly I'm just looking for practice and to be matched up against people who are able to provide a good practice set or something. I know that, mathematically speaking, I will settle on a GSP indicative of my skill level, go 50 50, and that there will always be an endless stream of opponents both better than and worse than I am, so I've really got nothing to prove by trying to taunt people who have been selected to fight against me by an algorithm that determined we are of roughly equivalent skill. Occasionally, however, if I beat someone who was tbagging a lot really badly, I'll throw them a sarcastic "Well Played" at the end.

Why would Pac-Man need to rest if it was easy? If it was easy then he would have energy to spare.
I would sooner interpret a down taunt from Pac-Man at the end of the battle as him saying that the battle was hard and therefore he needs to take a rest to recover from the exertion.

Either way, actions speak louder than words. The fact that you would wait with taunting until the battle is over shows that you were unsure of your victory during the battle and thus betrays the fact that the battle was probably difficult for you. With your taunt you may be trying to say that the battle was easy, but your action of waiting with taunting until the end betrays the fact that you really respected the opponent as a worthy adversary to the extend of not daring to risk a taunt-to-get-bodied combo against him.

If you did not taunt during the battle and want to disrespect your opponent then it's better to not taunt at all since not taunting at all is ambiguous and ambiguity would be better than accidentally revealing your respect in a misguided attempt to tell your opponent that you disrespect him.
You do make a good argument. I suppose I likely fall into the latter category, given I don't really bother trying to do anything disrespectful until after I've won. I guess, however, I just don't care about being disrespectful in general. I imagine most people don't care for disrespectful gestures, and just want to improve their game, iron out their flaws, improve their muscle memory, and get better as a player.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I understand your sentiment but when 1 player is expecting BF or FD stages and gets matched up on something dumb like walk offs or whatever it gives the other player a MASSIVE MASSIVE advantage.
Picking "all stages" just gives the player a random stage so it's impossible for them to counterpick that way. So players who pick "all stages" won't normally get an advantage unless they are good at most stages.

The only people who really get a consistent stage advantage are the ones picking FD or BF since they can actually counterpick.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Picking "all stages" just gives the player a random stage so it's impossible for them to counterpick that way. So players who pick "all stages" won't normally get an advantage unless they are good at most stages.

The only people who really get a consistent stage advantage are the ones picking FD or BF since they can actually counterpick.
Some characters can cheese super hard on maps with walk-offs. Ridley's particularly bad about it, tbh, admittedly. Every time I end up on a walkoff stage, it's really easy to abuse.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Some characters can cheese super hard on maps with walk-offs. Ridley's particularly bad about it, tbh, admittedly. Every time I end up on a walkoff stage, it's really easy to abuse.
But it's not a good strategy in general because there is no way to reliably get a walk-off stage. Those people who try to cheese on walk-off stages will mostly be either playing against other people on their stage (BF or FD) or a random stage which most likely does not include walk-offs (I think, I did not actually check the odds).

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
But it's not a good strategy in general because there is no way to reliably get a walk-off stage. Those people who try to cheese on walk-off stages will mostly be either playing against other people on their stage (BF or FD) or a random stage which most likely does not include walk-offs (I think, I did not actually check the odds).
I queue FD, though enjoy running into players who queue BF.

If the situation presents itself and I run into someone on the Mario Kart map, however, I'll SPR people to their death relentlessly. It's usually a 3 stock because of how easy this is to do.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I love janking people high in Elite Smash. R.O.B. is pretty good for it too, since he's got amazing air mobility for fleeing and a great projectile game. Other consistent janking characters are Snake, Hero, and Young Link. But I cannot get either of them very high up in Elite Smash.

Ridley's pretty good for walk-offs but personally I prefer cheesing strategies which take a long time to execute, i.e. defensive ones.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Just get better at handling walk offs? Since they've been around for ages I've learned that they're advantages for some characters like DDD in brawl for instance but they aren't impossible to overcome. Besides which if you're good they can be just as deadly for your opponent. I used to love Marth in Brawl on the walk off yoshi stage and sonic's stage.. . Literally fair nair fair fair fair rinse and repeat.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Was that a response to me? Because it does not really make sense to tell that to me. I actually tend to be pretty good at handling walk-offs. Even Ridley is not really a problem for me there since R.O.B.'s Nair and projectiles make me very hard to hit with Ridley's >B, especially when I see it coming such as when I'm against someone desperate to cheese with it. Also Walk-offs often get me early kills with Arm Rotor, though those definitely come at a risk so I do not rely on them. Rather I just pull them out sometimes when a good opportunity arises. Still, it helps since I'm normally pretty bad at killing.

I do not think that walk-offs are suited for real competitive play since they can be used to cheese hard. Imagine Ness waiting at a Walk-off for a Ganondorf or something like that just so he can get a kill close to 0% with Bthrow. If the Ganondorf guesses correctly he could just get an easy kill on the Ness instead, but personally I still think tournament matches should not be reduced to 3 mindgames at a walk-off, so I still think it's bad to be able to force this. But at least it's not an automatic victory for one player.

Either way for R.O.B. this is also not a problem, it's just an invitation for R.O.B. to start spamming projectiles —and if the opponent's shield gets too weak to full block Arm Rotor— come in for a cheesy decently safe kill.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nah not directed to you ust saying in general I believe walk offs aren't as hard to deal with as they seem although they're definitely degenerate in terms of competitive play.

Kugelhagelfisch

Smash Cadet
First of all, disabling proper taunts for online was a terrible decision. Not every taunt is a mocking taunt anyway. Cpt. Falcon's "Show me your moves!" or Ness' "Okay." come to mind immediately. Especially the former is a great loss as a "Show me your moves!" is integral to Falcon's mirror match.
Second of all, King Dedede has the best unbannable taunt in the game.

D

Deleted member

I had to drop this game two weeks ago because of trolls. I imagine everyone I lose to (unless I know them) acts like a massive **** about their win, especially if they t-bag. I hate people who psychologically stomp on others, having been a victim of it IRL before.

Why do people shamelessly troll?
What do you think about trolls?
How do you not get affected by trolling?

The last question is very important as nothing I've tried worked, and I don't like playing offline, nor are my friends actively playing this game, so playing these ways isn't an option

Last edited by a moderator:

Zyr

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7530-5324-6817
On the last question, I just don't worry what others think of me. If they're immature enough to teabag, that's on them. I just worry about my actions when I revive, and consider my observations of their fighting style to hopefully get an edge next time (I've gotten 2-0s after being 1-2 stocked like that)

And when I ko an opponent, all I do is charge up a shot so I have it ready, or stand around waiting if I'm already have one fully charged and no other prep to make. I don't have enough of an inferiority complex to want to run my victory in their face (Also why I don't offer any after-match message when I dominate a foe. It feels like I'm rubbing it in)

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
I had to drop this game two weeks ago because of trolls. I imagine everyone I lose to (unless I know them) acts like a massive **** about their win, especially if they t-bag. I hate people who psychologically stomp on others, having been a victim of it IRL before.

The last question is very important as nothing I've tried worked, and I don't like playing offline, nor are my friends actively playing this game, so playing these ways isn't an option
What do these trolls do to you?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I’ve come across some teabaggers, and I always teabag right after when they teabag. Not after I take their stock off, no, but when they take a stock off of me—I do it to make them think that I think they’re just fooling around or having fun. That way, it defeats the purpose of the whole “teabagging to infuriate players” notion and I can get a match in.

If they leave, great. If they don’t, I’d have to be okay with fighting them (matchup/spam wise) to have fun, and if I don’t, I leave. Using after-battle messages like ‘Good fight!’ or ‘You’re pretty good.’ also helps, since it shows that you’re genuinely having fun about it, which destroys their intent of you getting mad and ragequitting so they can feel better about themselves.

Or you could just block them, lol. I think it’s safe to say that you’re not going to come across nice people all the time—just like how it’s true that not everybody will like you, and that’s okay. Chances are you’ll never meet that person again, and blocking (and reporting) truly malicious players will ease and soothe your mind a bit.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
The sheer power of pressing down a few times will always be hilarious to me. Yall need a thicker skin if teabagging affects you this hard

It does feel damn good putting a cocky dude in his place though

GhostM

Phantom
Coming back to this, I don’t think it’s unusual for people to get upset after another player teabags them. To be honest, it’s been in online gaming for so long that to me personally it doesn’t really bother me if they end up doing it to me. Most of the time I just teabag alongside them instead of getting furious about it. Not going to lie, it feels great to payback the other player with karma when they act cocky.

I can see why it can infuriate others, since it’s a way to taunt or mock a player for being combo’d or making a wrong move. Ever since they decided to prevent players from using taunts, the only other option is to teabag. Kind of upsetting since it makes me feel like they removed a portion of the game that the developers worked on.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice

I understand where youre coming from. But in reality sometimes its better to just take a short break and come back later. Usually people teabag someone who is a good player and you are putting up a fight and hurting their already small egos. These people are typically anti social and dont understand common curtesy as they arent around anyone but maybe a family member or two 365 days out of the year.

I’ve come across some teabaggers, and I always teabag right after when they teabag. Not after I take their stock off, no, but when they take a stock off of me—I do it to make them think that I think they’re just fooling around or having fun. That way, it defeats the purpose of the whole “teabagging to infuriate players” notion and I can get a match in.

If they leave, great. If they don’t, I’d have to be okay with fighting them (matchup/spam wise) to have fun, and if I don’t, I leave. Using after-battle messages like ‘Good fight!’ or ‘You’re pretty good.’ also helps, since it shows that you’re genuinely having fun about it, which destroys their intent of you getting mad and ragequitting so they can feel better about themselves.

Or you could just block them, lol. I think it’s safe to say that you’re not going to come across nice people all the time—just like how it’s true that not everybody will like you, and that’s okay. Chances are you’ll never meet that person again, and blocking (and reporting) truly malicious players will ease and soothe your mind a bit.
I stopped saying “well played” to people at this i just assume everyone is out to be a troll and would have otherwise trolled me if i lost. As is often the case when i rematch someone and end up losing. They got a “well played” and a respectful match.

I get a “dunktastic!” “Our cause is just!” And teabagged before they decide to leave on that note. This community is grossly in favor of being immature

Edit: oh crap i double posted myb

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
teabagging doesn't make me angry it's more like the message they send with it..they disrespect me and do it to be rude/troll,
and for me i will return the favor cause i can be worse,
this 1 player i played multiple times against in a team match noticed this the hard way,
he won alot but he teabagged me and my teammate i got paired with alot
but then came the moment i got paired up with the teabagger, i would let myself get hit and then SD, after that take 2 of his stocks and do the same things over again, to let him get ganged up on so he would lose
and it actually did satisfy me since he left the lobby right away afterwards xD i do not mind sacrificing GSP at all for this. i just calmly waited for my moment to troll him in return.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
So as someone who loves FFA let me let u know how it goes 100% of the time.

Youre there having fun, u two cross paths, theyre good but youre better and by some luck they knock u off and proceed to taunt you. So you go after them and return the favor, they then dedicate their entire round to getting you now and leave Mid round after you beat them some stay to dedicate next round to getting you and if they succeed in taking your lives they spend the rest of the round running from side to side taunting oh and they leave after that to.

Idk why this community is as toxic as it is. Sad part is those players are probably some older dude with unwashed facial hair and a manbun.
Yeah, that's about how it goes. It's funny to observe that 80% of the players going out of their way to flex/disrespect you can't handle the same in return. I don't typically taunt or tea bag unless someone in an FFA gets a hate boner for me, in my opinion at least it's really frustrating and kind of dirty when someone singles you out. I can kind of get it when you're up a stock or something like that, or someone's just chilling out and projectile camping, but 99% of the time I think it just comes from this place of "I'M GOING TO PROVE I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU." and that's so tiresome. It's no fun getting screwed out of a good match because some **** wants to troll/ project their ego problems onto you.

Sometimes I taunt and teabag just to be silly though and signal light heartedness at the beginning of the match and after everyone dies, including myself. I kinda like doing that because it takes the power away from people who are doing it to try and be toxic.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
teabagging doesn't make me angry it's more like the message they send with it..they disrespect me and do it to be rude/troll,
and for me i will return the favor cause i can be worse,
this 1 player i played multiple times against in a team match noticed this the hard way,
he won alot but he teabagged me and my teammate i got paired with alot
but then came the moment i got paired up with the teabagger, i would let myself get hit and then SD, after that take 2 of his stocks and do the same things over again, to let him get ganged up on so he would lose
and it actually did satisfy me since he left the lobby right away afterwards xD i do not mind sacrificing GSP at all for this. i just calmly waited for my moment to troll him in return.
Lol that’s something I wouldn’t be proud of. All it showed is you were inferior in skill and was unable to beat him head on so in petty retribution, you just waited to be on his team and sabotage other of you. You never actually got vengeance by beating him. He probably left in disgust and pitty, not in humility or embarrassment.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Lol that’s something I wouldn’t be proud of. All it showed is you were inferior in skill and was unable to beat him head on so in petty retribution, you just waited to be on his team and sabotage other of you. You never actually got vengeance by beating him. He probably left in disgust and pitty, not in humility or embarrassment.

While i agree and i would of handled this differently, maybe let him get beat up alittle bit before deciding to be like “all right you arent as good as you think you are, now i can help”

But at the end of the day he knows why his team mate sabotaged him and it should of served as a lesson none the less.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i did won a few times from him btw that is why i used the word alot but he had more matches won from me then me from him.

the thing is if he wants to be immature about it then he can get immature behavior in return.
my motto is ''i treat others the same way they treat me'' he wanted to be immature and teabag just cause he won alot well that's all cool my dude but then you can get immature behavior in return.

it were team matches so i don't think you should be assuming i am the only reason my team lost, team matches in QP also consider luck cause you can't tell before hand whether who you get matched with and whether they are good or not,
like i said i just played like always, wasn't mad nor was tilted to go after him the whole match, eventually i had my opportunity as well,
and for me it was very satisfying! :D

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
i did won a few times from him btw that is why i used the word alot but he had more matches won from me then me from him.

the thing is if he wants to be immature about it then he can get immature behavior in return.
my motto is ''i treat others the same way they treat me'' he wanted to be immature and teabag just cause he won alot well that's all cool my dude but then you can get immature behavior in return.

it were team matches so i don't think you should be assuming i am the only reason my team lost, team matches in QP also consider luck cause you can't tell before hand whether who you get matched with and whether they are good or not,
like i said i just played like always, wasn't mad nor was tilted to go after him the whole match, eventually i had my opportunity as well,
and for me it was very satisfying! :D
Honestly No one can decide how a troll should be trolled back. There is no wrong way to do this.

When you mock someone whos just trying to play the game as well as they can, you open up a can of worms and these people are usually ill-tempered and quick to leave a stressful situation that they themselves helped create

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The sheer power of pressing down a few times will always be hilarious to me. Yall need a thicker skin if teabagging affects you this hard
This is a psychological issue I'm having; you can't just make it seem like an easy fix.

I can see why it can infuriate others, since it’s a way to taunt or mock a player for being combo’d or making a wrong move.
See, this guy gets it. No one wants to play a game where it's (indirectly) encouraged to make fun of others for losing, especially if the victim is a struggling player.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
This is a psychological issue I'm having; you can't just make it seem like an easy fix.

See, this guy gets it. No one wants to play a game where it's (indirectly) encouraged to make fun of others for losing, especially if the victim is a struggling player.
People like competitive games. Apart of that competitiveness is learning how to take losses from agrivaters.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus

If someone merely pressed down a few times and tilted you so hard into doing something unsafe and getting punished for it. Sorry to say. You took the easiest bait in the book.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I have another story for you guys that will brighten your day.

So here i am in arenas, messing around in free for alls. I stumble into a server with only two people who werent in a round but looked as if about to start. So i go to the spectate stands and do some dishes. I see one of them volunteering to spectate so i thought ok, ill come play. I hop into the arena and both of them hop in. So i thought “hm a 3 way free for all lets see how it goes” but no. It starts off with both of then singling me out, i quickly adapt to a 2v1 scenerio, good thing i had chosen bowser.

Me vs ken and captain falcon should be do-able. They cant cheese me with projectile spam. I take ken and falcons first stock out of 5. Theyre definitely not elite smash level but the falcon wasnt bad. I take kens second stock, you can tell hes heated because he charged at me carelessly but eventually i get spiked. They both taunt and teabag me.

Time to get serious, after a grueling fight i take kens third stock, grabbing him right before falcon used his punch and let him eat it, it was glorious. They both come at me full force, i hold my own. I lost two more stocks, they teabag and taunt every time, but finally i take ken out of the picture. Me and falcon, 2 stocks left each and i two stock him.

It took alot of focus to do this so i moved to spectate stands afterwards, they were visibly salty with what they were saying, i turn on my switch app to hear what they could possibly have to say. Which followed a bunch of slurs and claims of cowardice. To which all i could say was. “Y’all suck, 2v1 and i leave with 2 stocks. Dont taunt until you get good” and peace out.

Id also like to add after they taunted me the first time i also taunted them after every stock i took. Justice, was served.

Last edited:

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
They really need to permit actual taunts in Quickplay. Though they had good intentions by disabling them, they ended up creating a worse situation. Teabagging just seems to infuriate and get under the skin of a lot more players than any taunt ever could. The decision is made more baffling as they are enabled in Battle Arenas.

An opponent using an actual taunt doesn't generally bother me at all. The developers took the time to craft those animations and, I think this is the important part, the taunt says more about the character than the player. If Bowser lets out a roar when taking a stock, that is something you could easily see Bowser doing. If Captain Falcon says "show me your moves," you can believe that the character wants to see your moves. So to me, taunting is about the character, not the player. Furthermore, taunts can be used to express more than just beating your opponent. I love using K. Rool's sumo pose at the beginning of or during a match as a sort of challenge, ala Morpheus in the Matrix.

The only time actual taunts become frustrating for me is when things turn into a taunt party (the reason they were turned off to begin with). When I open my FFA Battle Arena, it become really old, really fast when a taunt party erupts.

Teabagging on the other hand is all about the player. No one celebrates anything by repeatedly crouching (and frankly as you get older your knees likely couldn't take it). Therefore, the act of teabagging is inconsistent with the characters in the game and it separates the player from the character they are using. In a manner of speaking, you sort of see behind the curtain at the person pulling the strings. And, for as long as it has existed, it has been synonymous with disrespect. Let's face it, you don't ever imply you're putting your metaphorical/digital balls in someone's face against their will as a sign of respect (and it could be a crime if you actually did it to someone in real life).

As for "taunting a taunter," can't say I've ever found a good solution. I wish I could say I rise above it and just play as I would any other opponent, but there are times when it gets under my skin. Over time, I've gotten better about just letting it go and, while it still gives me a pinch of salt, just playing the game. The reward for winning then becomes all the sweeter.

That being said, I can be fairly rigid when enforcing no teabagging in my Battle Arenas. Not because it gets me salty, but rather it tends to drive away other players. Not long ago I had a fairly decent Bowser player (I see more teabagging from Bowser players for some reason) dominating my arena. After each and every stock or just even knocking an opponent off the edge, he'd start teabagging as though his thumb was having a seizure. I noted that when he was in the arena, people would tend to leave after only a match or two, whereas before it was pretty crowded. Obviously I can't ever be sure of whey people left, but I believe it was due to the teabagging as things improved once he was kicked (and kicked again, and again....). These days I will kick any undue teabagging pretty quick just so my arena stays active. Also, you can taunt in Arenas, so there isn't any reason to teabag beyond pure disrespect.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
They really need to permit actual taunts in Quickplay. Though they had good intentions by disabling them, they ended up creating a worse situation. Teabagging just seems to infuriate and get under the skin of a lot more players than any taunt ever could. The decision is made more baffling as they are enabled in Battle Arenas.

An opponent using an actual taunt doesn't generally bother me at all. The developers took the time to craft those animations and, I think this is the important part, the taunt says more about the character than the player. If Bowser lets out a roar when taking a stock, that is something you could easily see Bowser doing. If Captain Falcon says "show me your moves," you can believe that the character wants to see your moves. So to me, taunting is about the character, not the player. Furthermore, taunts can be used to express more than just beating your opponent. I love using K. Rool's sumo pose at the beginning of or during a match as a sort of challenge, ala Morpheus in the Matrix.

The only time actual taunts become frustrating for me is when things turn into a taunt party (the reason they were turned off to begin with). When I open my FFA Battle Arena, it become really old, really fast when a taunt party erupts.

Teabagging on the other hand is all about the player. No one celebrates anything by repeatedly crouching (and frankly as you get older your knees likely couldn't take it). Therefore, the act of teabagging is inconsistent with the characters in the game and it separates the player from the character they are using. In a manner of speaking, you sort of see behind the curtain at the person pulling the strings. And, for as long as it has existed, it has been synonymous with disrespect. Let's face it, you don't ever imply you're putting your metaphorical/digital balls in someone's face against their will as a sign of respect (and it could be a crime if you actually did it to someone in real life).

As for "taunting a taunter," can't say I've ever found a good solution. I wish I could say I rise above it and just play as I would any other opponent, but there are times when it gets under my skin. Over time, I've gotten better about just letting it go and, while it still gives me a pinch of salt, just playing the game. The reward for winning then becomes all the sweeter.

That being said, I can be fairly rigid when enforcing no teabagging in my Battle Arenas. Not because it gets me salty, but rather it tends to drive away other players. Not long ago I had a fairly decent Bowser player (I see more teabagging from Bowser players for some reason) dominating my arena. After each and every stock or just even knocking an opponent off the edge, he'd start teabagging as though his thumb was having a seizure. I noted that when he was in the arena, people would tend to leave after only a match or two, whereas before it was pretty crowded. Obviously I can't ever be sure of whey people left, but I believe it was due to the teabagging as things improved once he was kicked (and kicked again, and again....). These days I will kick any undue teabagging pretty quick just so my arena stays active. Also, you can taunt in Arenas, so there isn't any reason to teabag beyond pure disrespect.
Really bowsers? Hm i never really lose to other bowsers (know him like the back of my hand) so maybe im not witnessing it but its possible, being a character that calls for extra aggressive play style being played by aggressive people.

I find King D3’s to be the worse offenders as their tbag is still an actual taunting pose and because this character rafter can be highly cheesey to fight with spamming gordos and nuetral B all the while staying airborne or ledge camping.

Second place goes to luigis, a troll character

Third place goes to peaches, idk why but they are so aggressive.

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
Really bowsers? Hm i never really lose to other bowsers (know him like the back of my hand) so maybe im not witnessing it but its possible, being a character that calls for extra aggressive play style being played by aggressive people.

I find King D3’s to be the worse offenders as their tbag is still an actual taunting pose and because this character rafter can be highly cheesey to fight with spamming gordos and nuetral B all the while staying airborne or ledge camping.

Second place goes to luigis, a troll character

Third place goes to peaches, idk why but they are so aggressive.
It might just be my area. I think you're right that it's related to being an aggressive character attracting aggressive players. To be fair, not every Bowser teabags, but of all the fighters I seem to notice them doing it more.

DeDeDe's crouch doesn't usually bother me. It's probably just one of those things that says more about the character. But yes, I can definitely see how the high cheese factor of DeDeDe can exacerbate pretty much any taunt he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom