• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt parties still exist in SSB for Wii U?

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure in the first reveal video showing off smash4, sakurai made mention of the report system and how ONE of the reasons he put it in, was due to taunt parties. We know for a fact in the another smash direct, that he most certainly put some other automatic measures in place to stop players from targeting a single player, stop people from repeatedly self destructing intentionally, and to stop players going idle. The underlined part being something that taunt parties try to do when one person isn't on board, that person has every right to report em for this should the automatic system not catch it and kick the player(s) responsible.

I don't want to go in FFA for glory, because surprise!, there are no items there and it's strictly final destination. Sometimes I just want a goofy FFA match will all items on against random players. when I'm forced to sift through a bunch of dumb taunt parties that I DO NOT FIND FUN NOR DO A LOT OF OTHER PLAYERS, it gets annoying, in this case I have every right to get each and every one of these taunt partiers banned, more so if they try to gang up on me.
Well, actually Taunt Parties do all three of those... and guess what? We still do! To stop the Single-Player ban, just jab your buddy, SDs? Didn't need to do that anyway! Idleness? Simply throw out a random attack an continue enjoying yourself!

Well then, that's your fault! If you want to play a chaotic, every-man-for-himself, match, just go do it with your friends! But let us fun-lovers have fun!

link2702

Smash Champion
fun-lovers have fun!
again not everyone finds that junk fun, so you can't really call it "fun lovers having fun" because not everyone has that opinion that taunt parties are "fun".

I will report every taunt party whether the taunt partiers like it or not. And the game will actually favor my side so just keep that in mind ;). So if i ever run across you just keep in mind, you'll likely be sent to banland afterwards if you attempt a taunt party.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

again not everyone finds that junk fun, so you can't really call it "fun lovers having fun" because not everyone has that opinion that taunt parties are "fun".

I will report every taunt party whether the taunt partiers like it or not. And the game will actually favor my side so just keep that in mind ;). So if i ever run across you just keep in mind, you'll likely be sent to banland afterwards if you attempt a taunt party.
Well, even if you get one, or four, there will always be more!
You can block us as much as you need, but there will always be more for the Taunt Party creed.
Though you may try, you may report, all of your tries will, as always, fall short.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
aw how cute, trying to make your last post a rhyme/poem. Again though, just keep in mind taunt parties are not only despised and looked down upon by the majority of the community itself, but by the developer as well. Just remember that even sakurai hates you and finds your behavior in matches deplorable. at the end of the day its not me and others blocking you that you need to worry about, Rather it's the report button. Once you're in banland and have to wait 15-20 minutes between finding opponents, and tend to only find rude opponents, extremely laggy opponents, or people who will report you regardless of actions just to keep you stuck in banland with them, you'll realize that it all could have been avoided had you not been part of taunt parties ganging up on one player.

D

Deleted member

aw how cute, trying to make your last post a rhyme/poem. Again though, just keep in mind taunt parties are not only despised and looked down upon by the majority of the community itself, but by the developer as well. Just remember that even sakurai hates you and finds your behavior in matches deplorable. at the end of the day its not me and others blocking you that you need to worry about, Rather it's the report button. Once you're in banland and have to wait 15-20 minutes between finding opponents, and tend to only find rude opponents, extremely laggy opponents, or people who will report you regardless of actions just to keep you stuck in banland with them, you'll realize that it all could have been avoided had you not been part of taunt parties ganging up on one player.
Well then, It's a risk I'll have to take :)

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Henceforth is why the report button is abuse.

I do taunt party because I tend to tire from fighting all the time so I want to have some fun for a while.

(Apologize if this is an old thread, I just wanted to point something out)

D

Deleted member

Henceforth is why the report button is abuse.

I do taunt party because I tend to tire from fighting all the time so I want to have some fun for a while.

(Apologize if this is an old thread, I just wanted to point something out)
I actually made a thread regarding Taunt Parties. You should check it out sometime!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The simple fact of the matter is people are going to play the game how they want to play it.

Nobody can stop someone from enjoying the game in their own way. If you participate in Taunt Parties then that's fine, especially if you truly find enjoyment in them. You bought the game and you, and only you can choose how you play it; however you have to understand that not everyone appreciates them. It's understandable some people will find them boring and often detest them with a passion.

Some players go into For Fun to play on Non-Omega Stages with Items as that is the only Online Mode that offers that. It's true, it's called "For Fun" and should be played for fun. Anyone that goes into that mode with a competitive mindset is really missing the point.

But again, people are going to play how they wish to and there's not much any of us can do to stop it. It's just like how nobody can stop someone from Taunting. There's going to be a lot of players who are going to Taunt no matter what, despite how so many people consider it to be disrespectful. A lot of people believe it's just part of the game and nothing is really stopping them from doing it. It's just differing opinions on two different sides, and this is exactly how I see this issue. There's no true way to make both sides happy.

People are going to do Taunt Parties, and people are going to hate them because it is not what they consider fun. If you wish to report every Taunt Party you come across then do so. Nobody is stopping you, just like nobody can stop others from starting Taunt Parties.

That being said I've never had an issue with Taunt Parties. If I get caught up in one I'll join in, and if I get put into a room where people are actually Smashing then I'll Smash. The important thing is I'm having fun no matter what goes on, but to each his own I suppose.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I was heavy into Brawl, but I didn't go online until the last few months of the service. The result of those months is that I really don't like taunt parties. They aren't fun for me most of the time.
I can understand wanting to play a game your own way. I respect that.
I can understand goofing off with random people online. It can be really fun!
And I would be at least somewhat willing to leave well enough alone IF it weren't for the fact that players get penalized for leaving a match. Sure, there are times where that clause helps to keep gameplay at a standard, but...
If I find a taunt party, I can't just leave mid-match and find another room. I get penalized and have to wait before I can try again.
Nintendo likely won't fix that. Especially seeing as how the dev team for Smash don't seem to care for non-standard online play.

So what happens is you have a game where some people enjoy playing together one way, and others enjoy playing together another way. And if one person falls into the other crowd by chance, they can't just say "Thanks, but no thanks." and leave. They are forced to either take the penalty, or not have fun (Everyone's definition of fun is different, mind you).
So this is an issue that is compounded by both a group of players AND Nintendo, and until there is a fix, the only For Fun I will do is doubles, as they are more consistent.

D

Deleted member

I was heavy into Brawl, but I didn't go online until the last few months of the service. The result of those months is that I really don't like taunt parties. They aren't fun for me most of the time.
I can understand wanting to play a game your own way. I respect that.
I can understand goofing off with random people online. It can be really fun!
And I would be at least somewhat willing to leave well enough alone IF it weren't for the fact that players get penalized for leaving a match. Sure, there are times where that clause helps to keep gameplay at a standard, but...
If I find a taunt party, I can't just leave mid-match and find another room. I get penalized and have to wait before I can try again.
Nintendo likely won't fix that. Especially seeing as how the dev team for Smash don't seem to care for non-standard online play.

So what happens is you have a game where some people enjoy playing together one way, and others enjoy playing together another way. And if one person falls into the other crowd by chance, they can't just say "Thanks, but no thanks." and leave. They are forced to either take the penalty, or not have fun (Everyone's definition of fun is different, mind you).
So this is an issue that is compounded by both a group of players AND Nintendo, and until there is a fix, the only For Fun I will do is doubles, as they are more consistent.
Two words: Ban. Blocking.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Two words: Ban. Blocking.
I don't think I'm catching quite what you mean by "Ban blocking."
Ban players? Block players?
I tend run into the same people I fight in For Fun Free-For-all in other online modes quite often, like doubles. Most of the matches in other modes are just fine and enjoyable.
I mean, I don't want to block players if I don't have to. Not to mention there a ton of players like this.
So, either I forfeit ever fighting potentially good players so I can have a few rounds of For Fun, or I have to sit through all-too-frequent matches where rarely anything really happens. Guess I'm stuck no matter what then. :ohwell:
Is that what you meant?

D

Deleted member

I don't think I'm catching quite what you mean by "Ban blocking."
Ban players? Block players?
I tend run into the same people I fight in For Fun Free-For-all in other online modes quite often, like doubles. Most of the matches in other modes are just fine and enjoyable.
I mean, I don't want to block players if I don't have to. Not to mention there a ton of players like this.
So, either I forfeit ever fighting potentially good players so I can have a few rounds of For Fun, or I have to sit through all-too-frequent matches where rarely anything really happens. Guess I'm stuck no matter what then. :ohwell:
Is that what you meant?
No-no-no! Here you go!

How does this work?
For 3DS - Pop out your cartridge. Easy, convenient, and no ban time!
For Wii U - Pull the cord... literally. Easy, convenient, and, of course, no ban time!

There is another way on the Wii U (taking the disc out and reinserting it), however that may give you 10 seconds - 1 minute's worth the time, so Ban-Block wisely!

By yours truly; Mario Smith

Edit: It's called "Ban-Blocking" because it's blocking the ban you'd get otherwise.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
No-no-no! Here you go!

How does this work?
For 3DS - Pop out your cartridge. Easy, convenient, and no ban time!
For Wii U - Pull the cord... literally. Easy, convenient, and, of course, no ban time!

There is another way on the Wii U (taking the disc out and reinserting it), however that may give you 10 seconds - 1 minute's worth the time, so Ban-Block wisely!

By yours truly; Mario Smith

Edit: It's called "Ban-Blocking" because it's blocking the ban you'd get otherwise.
I used to do this every now and then, and believe me, you don't want to do that!
Both the 3Ds and the WiiU can suffer software and hardware damage over time from pulling cartridges out on the 3DS and pulling the cord on the WiiU.
I wasn't sure about this until my brother showed me how it affected his systems in comparison to mine and pointed out issues on my 3DS. The damage wasn't terrible, but both systems had significantly longer load times from power to game and also struggled to find the disk/cartridge quite often in comparison to others . My 3DS was exceptionally bad with loadtime. Had to buy a new one in less than a year.
Granted, it does take quite a few times for any real damage to be shown, but that's not a risk I can afford to take.
I dooooon't want to do that and have to deal with the results again!

D

Deleted member

I used to do this every now and then, and believe me, you don't want to do that!
Both the 3Ds and the WiiU can suffer software and hardware damage over time from pulling cartridges out on the 3DS and pulling the cord on the WiiU.
I wasn't sure about this until my brother showed me how it affected his systems in comparison to mine and pointed out issues on my 3DS. The damage wasn't terrible, but both systems had significantly longer load times from power to game and also struggled to find the disk/cartridge quite often in comparison to others . My 3DS was exceptionally bad with loadtime. Had to buy a new one in less than a year.
Granted, it does take quite a few times for any real damage to be shown, but that's not a risk I can afford to take.
I dooooon't want to do that and have to deal with the results again!
I done it countless times and nothing's happened! You just have to make sure not to do that while the game's saving. Using it any other time is 100% reliable and legit.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I done it countless times and nothing's happened! You just have to make sure not to do that while the game's saving. Using it any other time is 100% reliable and legit.
I'm not sure how much you've done it exactly, but from what I've seen, its not a method I'm willing to try.
My brother and I have a lo-o-o-o-o-t of experience of pulling plugs and cartridges out of systems while on.
Its specifically thanks to FE: Awakening's Lunatic mode that my 3DS started operating poorly.
So, the ban blocking idea is nice, but the potential to make my already old system worse isn't a chance my wallet wants to take right now.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
cartridge pulling is bad for your system. not worth it. sadly the report system was poorly implemented

D

Deleted member

cartridge pulling is bad for your system. not worth it. sadly the report system was poorly implemented
I'd rather break my console than see an unworthy player win. But that's just my own personal take on things.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I'd rather break my console than see an unworthy player win. But that's just my own personal take on things.
I get that feeling. Happens to me all too often.
But if you DC, the other players are not always kicked as far as I'm aware. They just fight a low level CPU in your place. So it can become a situation where you just aren't there to witness them win, as opposed to them not winning via connection error.
If you're fine with that then that's your business. I guess I just think that there should be a better answer.

D

Deleted member

I get that feeling. Happens to me all too often.
But if you DC, the other players are not always kicked as far as I'm aware. They just fight a low level CPU in your place. So it can become a situation where you just aren't there to witness them win, as opposed to them not winning via connection error.
If you're fine with that then that's your business. I guess I just think that there should be a better answer.
It depends on whether forcing the game to exit out of itself abruptly severs the flow of data, or if it merely releases the
Ban-Blocker while going through due-procedure (Lv.1 CPU) with the remaining player.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
It depends on whether forcing the game to exit out of itself abruptly severs the flow of data, or if it merely releases the
Ban-Blocker while going through due-procedure (Lv.1 CPU) with the remaining player.
Yep. And I have no idea what manner of disconnecting causes which situation.
Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.

D

Deleted member

Yep. And I have no idea what manner of disconnecting causes which situation.
Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.
Not for me. I've found my way. You can accept it or reject it, but no risk = no reward

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
It is very easy to evade aggression, especially online and especially on For Fun. But as it turns out, most TPers aren't actually interested in pacifism as they claim and would rather 3v1 at the first opportunity. And these people are the reason Taunt Partys are a cancer.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Taunt Parties are a strange thing. I once didn't even do anything to a group having a taunt party and they still ganged up on me.

D

Deleted member

Well, to Taunt Partyers, if you do nothing then you're considered to be a threat of whom is biding their time, waiting for the Sudden Death to come so they can win. I will admit, though. There is a satisfaction that comes from Triple-Teaming somebody.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, to Taunt Partyers, if you do nothing then you're considered to be a thread of whom is biding their time, waiting for the Sudden Death to come so they can win. I will admit, though. There is a satisfaction that comes from Triple-Teaming somebody.
My stand on Taunt Parties:
This should be an extra game mode. Taunt Parties create some of the most hilarious scenarios, such as Wolf chasing his tail. A Three on One match? That's not fun for the one. You want to utterly destroy an opponent? Go to 8-Player Smash, put a combination of 6 CPUs, Amiibos, and/or yourself and friends on one team, and have another CPU on the other team, then sit back and watch the CPU's, or Amiibo's doom commence. (Insert evil laugh here)

D

Deleted member

My stand on Taunt Parties:
This should be an extra game mode. Taunt Parties create some of the most hilarious scenarios, such as Wolf chasing his tail. A Three on One match? That's not fun for the one. You want to utterly destroy an opponent? Go to 8-Player Smash, put a combination of 6 CPUs, Amiibos, and/or yourself and friends on one team, and have another CPU on the other team, then sit back and watch the CPU's, or Amiibo's doom commence. (Insert evil laugh here)
That defeats the purpose though. Taunt Parties are only fun because they aren't the natural occurrence. It's charm comes from the fact that instead of fighting, people choose to party. It's like going on an adventure, and when a crasher comes it's like fighting an enemy as you're moving up the ranks. It's not fun when parties are all that you can do. It defeats the point and destroys people's free will to choose to play. Not only that, but it becomes a shallow experience, because, as mentioned above, it's significance is gone, no longer are you choosing to play differently, that's all that's there. There is a certain charm in free will that cannot be replicated in a forced context. Because then, even if you're doing the same thing, it's no longer your choice.

Ultimately, as I always say; you have to be part of the experience, not the experience part of you.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That defeats the purpose though. Taunt Parties are only fun because they aren't the natural occurrence. It's charm comes from the fact that instead of fighting, people choose to party. It's like going on an adventure, and when a crasher comes it's like fighting an enemy as you're moving up the ranks. It's not fun when parties are all that you can do. It defeats the point and destroys people's free will to choose to play. Not only that, but it becomes a shallow experience, because, as mentioned above, it's significance is gone, no longer are you choosing to play differently, that's all that's there. There is a certain charm in free will that cannot be replicated in a forced context. Because then, even if you're doing the same thing, it's no longer your choice.

Ultimately, as I always say; you have to be part of the experience, not the experience part of you.
I'll have to disagree here, but that may just be that I am entertained ridiculously easily.

D

Deleted member

I'll have to disagree here, but that may just be that I am entertained ridiculously easily.
I never thought people would disagree with that argument, but there's a first time for everything. I suppose that's just me, because I feel that if something's forced upon people, then it loses it's reality.

Top Bottom