• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt parties still exist in SSB for Wii U?

isildurrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
bueroklammer
Hey guys,
I've noticed that in For Fun mode, there is a chance to find taunt parties. It definitely does not happen as often as it did in Brawl, but yeah taunt parties are not completely gone in SSB for Wii U. Now my question is am I the only one who had seen them in this smash or has someone else also seen taunt parties in For Fun?
I think it's not a big deal, because as I said, it does not happen that often and when it does I think it's quite fun to join for a few matches or try to crash 'em.

:143:Hope someone replies

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Hey guys,
I've noticed that in For Fun mode, there is a chance to find taunt parties. It definitely does not happen as often as it did in Brawl, but yeah taunt parties are not completely gone in SSB for Wii U. Now my question is am I the only one who had seen them in this smash or has someone else also seen taunt parties in For Fun?
I think it's not a big deal, because as I said, it does not happen that often and when it does I think it's quite fun to join for a few matches or try to crash 'em.

:143:Hope someone replies
If you're going on FOr FUn just use a Heavyweight, preferably Ike, Bowser or Ganon. Ike has a sword, Bowser has Tough Guy which can resist the stupid Super Scope, and Ganon is... Ganon.

Crashing Taunt parties has never been funner.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
I'm pretty sure you can report people for taunt parties.
Or at least for dogpiling you as punishment for wanting to play Smash rather than Feeling It Simulator 5000.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
Hey guys,
Yeah.... they aren't as hideously often now, but still exist and I've even seen it in FG Mode a few times with them just " love tapping each other " to not get kicked ( but it's rare ).

Generally....,
just get through that match > leave imo.

Seeing a Charizard Crouch in sync with the Gerudo Valley BGM playing is funny, but it loses it's humor when you realize that you turned on the game to PLAY it :s

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
The taunt parties were what made brawl's online fun. They should have kept the bans in for glory. That way people can play what ever kind of match there in the mood for. Getting banned for having fun in for fun mode? Seriously

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
The taunt parties were what made brawl's online fun. They should have kept the bans in for glory. That way people can play what ever kind of match there in the mood for. Getting banned for having fun in for fun mode? Seriously
taunt parties are the only reason I ever have fun in "For Fun"
plus, it coincides with my favourite FFA strategy. hang around until some smart guy decides they've had enough at 120% and comes after me. bam, grab, bthrow, free kill.
when they come after me enraged, shieldgrab, some comboes, hey, they're at 110 again, bam, grab, bthrow, another kill.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
This is what I do too but it's much harder when you can not select the stages. Unfortunately most people on right now dont know about taunt parties or don't want them and immediately start fighting. Maybe if more old taunt party pros from basic brawl get on together the new people will get it but there are a lot of limitations. Like only two taunts per life and the idling Bans. Sometimes I get randomly banned for "relentlessly targeting an individual player" and I have no idea why. It's not even in a taunt party more then half the time.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
It is called "For Fun". I don't see why they don't allow people to have taunt parties, it is just another way of having fun and it is not like it is hurting anyone.

link2702

Smash Champion
the wonderful thing about smash4; you can report the players in question.

After the match ends, on the results screen, hit X(iirc) and then it will let you click on each person's profile. If all 3 were taunt partying, simply report any of em. Chances are they'll all be banned

It is called "For Fun". I don't see why they don't allow people to have taunt parties, it is just another way of having fun and it is not like it is hurting anyone.
maybe because the point of the match is to actually fight and not do random things and taunt? also often taunt parties will gang up on any player who does want to fight, and suddenly its 3v1. Its definitely not fun for that 1 player who's getting ganged up on now is it? he didn't join the match to have 3 random other players gang up on him, and he didn't join it to be bored and do random stupid stuff like spam taunts the whole match.

Last edited:

isildurrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
bueroklammer

After the match ends, on the results screen, hit X(iirc) and then it will let you click on each person's profile. If all 3 were taunt partying, simply report any of em. Chances are they'll all be banned

maybe because the point of the match is to actually fight and not do random things and taunt? also often taunt parties will gang up on any player who does want to fight, and suddenly its 3v1. Its definitely not fun for that 1 player who's getting ganged up on now is it? he didn't join the match to have 3 random other players gang up on him, and he didn't join it to be bored and do random stupid stuff like spam taunts the whole match.
I think you are right, it is crappy if a taunt party turns into a 3 v 1 and one guy gets picked on just for trying to play the game normally.
But I think a 4 Player taunt party where everyone is involved in and everybody has fun is completely ok.
But on the other hand i like the challenge of 3 v 1 and love it to test my skills against 3 foes at once >:)
Again, I think taunt parties are fun if everyone is involved in it or, if you are like me, to test your skills!

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
The fun thing about taunt parties is you can do whatever you like. If you do not want to gang up on someone then ignore him and keep taunting or join him and try to make it a 2v2 problem solved but just going online for random fights gets very old fast. The taunt parties add depth and verity to increase the overall replay vaulue. Plus remember that the person getting ganged up on is the one who started it. If he did not want this he could have just waited for the match to end then leave.​

After the match ends, on the results screen, hit X(iirc) and then it will let you click on each person's profile. If all 3 were taunt partying, simply report any of em. Chances are they'll all be banned.
You ban people for having fun in for fun mode? They should have kept the bans in for glory so people who want to play for glory can in for glory, and the people who want to play for fun can in for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatman

Smash Ace
The fun thing about taunt parties is you can do whatever you like. If you do not want to gang up on someone then ignore him and keep taunting or join him and try to make it a 2v2 problem solved but just going online for random fights gets very old fast. The taunt parties add depth and verity to increase the overall replay vaulue. Plus remember that the person getting ganged up on is the one who started it. If he did not want this he could have just waited for the match to end then leave.​
but... smash is a fighting game, so I presume everyone who bought this game wants to fight, and not to taunt all the time. Isn't boring taunting all the time, without fighting?

Last edited:

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Use Dedede and destroy them all, too funny!

Anyway, how do people do taunt parties? You can't pair up with a friend in for fun so is it an exploit?

Also, I got into a taunt party once with 2 people taunting and tee bagging the whole time, and one pro player destroying online me lol, even though I still beat his ass with Dedede

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
but... smash is a fighting game, so I presume everyone who bought this game wants to fight, and not to taunt all the time. Isn't boring taunting all the time, without fighting?
If you want to fight there is a little mode called "For Glory". Even though you are still meant to fight in for fun the name of the mode had the word "Fun" in it,so that should mean you should be able to have fun however you want as long as it isn't cheating right?

link2702

Smash Champion
You ban people for having fun in for fun mode? They should have kept the bans in for glory so people who want to play for glory can in for glory, and the people who want to play for fun can in for fun.
what about the person who's not having fun sitting there watching 3 idiots goof around who aren't doing what the main point of the match is? What about when that one person gets triple teamed by said 3 idiots because he didn't decide to join into the taunt party?

If those players wanna mindlessly goof around and spam taunts go do it with folks on their friend lists. the main point of the for fun mode is to still fight opponents.

If I find a taunt party, regardless of the mode, you're damn right I'ma report every last player in there. Taunt parties aren't what the point of the match is, I go in there to have a chaotic match with items on and random stages, but still very much to play a fighting match. I don't go in there to goof off and spam taunts the whole time and/or run around aimlessly.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
A taunt party is started by the players not forced on them. The player getting teamed is a result of him being the only one who wants to fight. If he doesn't like it he can just leave the room.

A taunt match is not as fun on with friends while a fight is more fun on with friends so why should we only do taunt parties on with friends?

The main point of for fun mode is to have fun. Some people have more fun doing different things. Why should anyone be banned for the way they play as long as it is not cheating or offensive? What if taunters banned you for breaking up their taunt party? Different people have fun differently no one should be banned because they are not having fun the "right" way. They just need to have different modes to satisfy different tastes.

Use Dedede and destroy them all, too funny!

Anyway, how do people do taunt parties? You can't pair up with a friend in for fun so is it an exploit?

Also, I got into a taunt party once with 2 people taunting and tee bagging the whole time, and one pro player destroying online me lol, even though I still beat his *** with Dedede
If someone is crouching repeatedly it means they want a taunt party.

Tee bagging?

link2702

Smash Champion
A taunt party is started by the players not forced on them. The player getting teamed is a result of him being the only one who wants to fight. If he doesn't like it he can just leave the room.

A taunt match is not as fun on with friends while a fight is more fun on with friends so why should we only do taunt parties on with friends?

The main point of for fun mode is to have fun. Some people have more fun doing different things. Why should anyone be banned for the way they play as long as it is not cheating or offensive? What if taunters banned you for breaking up their taunt party? Different people have fun differently no one should be banned because they are not having fun the "right" way. They just need to have different modes to satisfy different tastes.
because the main point of the game is still for players to fight each other.

Sakurai already set these rules a long time ago. Don't like em too bad. He even mentioned in the direct when he revealed that they'd have a system setup to ban players, that one of the things that could get players banned was basically taunt parties, as well as triple teaming/double teaming a single player for whatever reason.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
funny how sakurai wants to catch the TPers but ignores the people who put rude things in their tags.
oh yes, I was targeted in a 4 player match for KOing someone. Didn't see them leave.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
because the main point of the game is still for players to fight each other.

already set these rules a long time ago. Don't like em too bad. He even mentioned in the direct when he revealed that they'd have a system setup to ban players, that one of the things that could get players banned was basically taunt parties, as well as triple teaming/double teaming a single player for whatever reason.[/
sure it is a fighting game it's called SMASH BROS but that doesn't mean we have to mindlessly rush at each other. The game is certainly flexible enough. A taunt party forms when 3 or more people want to have a taunt party. If there are at least 2 people who do not want one the match will basicly be an ffa. You have to keep in mind that some people want to play the game differently then you. People who don't like items should not be forced to play with them. Many people just assume taunt parties are just trolls spamming the taunt button to annoy "serious players" but it's actually a way to interact and cooperate. A taunt match is simply a different way of playing the game that contrasts just jumping into the fray.

Some people taunt party because they like to watch other people fight but want a front row seat instead of spectator mode. Some people taunt party because they like to cooperate with people and make friends while haveing a good time. Some people taunt party so they can practice\showoff tricks and glitches. Some people taunt party because they like to goof off with their friends. You can even spar with a taunter if you are bored. There are just more things to do in taunt party then a random ffa and it really adds replay vaulue to the game as well as a good coop expiriance for a single player. Its ok if you don't want to do taunt parties just don't hate others for doing them.

and ps Sakurai also said the smash bros competitive community has no future

I wish they didn't kill brawl's online this new online is so limiting.

link2702

Smash Champion
sure it is a fighting game it's called SMASH BROS but that doesn't mean we have to mindlessly rush at each other. The game is certainly flexible enough. A taunt party forms when 3 or more people want to have a taunt party. If there are at least 2 people who do not want one the match will basicly be an ffa. You have to keep in mind that some people want to play the game differently then you. People who don't like items should not be forced to play with them. Many people just assume taunt parties are just trolls spamming the taunt button to annoy "serious players" but it's actually a way to interact and cooperate. A taunt match is simply a different way of playing the game that contrasts just jumping into the fray.

Some people taunt party because they like to watch other people fight but want a front row seat instead of spectator mode. Some people taunt party because they like to cooperate with people and make friends while haveing a good time. Some people taunt party so they can practice\showoff tricks and glitches. Some people taunt party because they like to goof off with their friends. You can even spar with a taunter if you are bored. There are just more things to do in taunt party then a random ffa and it really adds replay vaulue to the game as well as a good coop expiriance for a single player. Its ok if you don't want to do taunt parties just don't hate others for doing them.

and ps Sakurai also said the smash bros competitive community has no future

doesn't matter if you like em, its not what the game is about. I can, and will report taunt parties when I find em because quite frankly I find em boring and not fun. If a group of all 4 players find it fun, good for them, but If I find one I'm reporting em. That includes even if I take em all out and win against 3vs1. I did it all the time in brawl but I never got a chance to report the players, now I do, and I'm going to use it. If even just one player doesn't find it fun, and then they get ganged up on by the other 3, they're perfectly allowed to report the other 3 for triple teaming.

Last edited:

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
also often taunt parties will gang up on any player who does want to fight, and suddenly its 3v1. Its definitely not fun for that 1 player who's getting ganged up on now is it? he didn't join the match to have 3 random other players gang up on him
This pretty much :/

If you at any point played Brawl randoms online ( cause for the first time that was an option ), this happened. Sure actually destroying a gank party was fun..., but it got real old real fast when 98% of your online experience was 3v1 just because they disliked your character or some random factor that made you the target.

Idk if I agree that Taunt Limits or Temp Bans were they way to go, but it was definitely enough of a problem in the random scene that the next game had precautions against it on release.

link2702

Smash Champion
Well maybe we should report players because they dont play the game like we do.
:) but you know what....? your reports will fall on deaf ears and you might get banned for false reporting.

Why? because if those players are still playing the matches like it was intended, they won't get in trouble. It doesn't matter if its for glory mode, or for fun mode, the main core aspect of the game is still to fight your opponents. not "do random taunting and stuff for 2 minutes" not "gang up on one player cuz he didn't want to join in on you guy's taunt party."

Again, you leave that kind of random silliness to either offline with family/friends, or only with people on your friend list.

D

Deleted member

Taunt parties rarely still exist because players will get banned for doing so; I haven't encountered one myself yet.

The thing with taunt parties is that they are against Sakurai's vision of what Smash Bros. is. It isn't about standing around and taunting; it's about fighting. Sakurai actually expressed disappointment in Brawl's online mode after experiencing a room with a taunt party occurring.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/13/40...mash-bros-brawl-online-isnt-exactly-thrilling
In the Smash Direct, he even addressed the problems that Brawl's online had and apologized for the limitations in Brawl's online mode that the team made two separate modes; For Fun and For Glory.

I'm glad the reporting system was implemented because I detest taunt parties. When I play Smash Bros., I want to actually fight. When a taunt party occurs, I can't do that! Hell, I remember getting in what was basically a 1v3 match against three taunters.
When I go into For Fun, I expect to have, well, fun in a chaotic brawl with items on. Taunt parties are far from fun because I barely do anything at all. If I see a taunt party occur, I will report those who are a part of it.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
:) but you know what....? your reports will fall on deaf ears and you might get banned for false reporting.

Why? because if those players are still playing the matches like it was intended, they won't get in trouble. It doesn't matter if its for glory mode, or for fun mode, the main core aspect of the game is still to fight your opponents. not "do random taunting and stuff for 2 minutes" not "gang up on one player cuz he didn't want to join in on you guy's taunt party."

Again, you leave that kind of random silliness to either offline with family/friends, or only with people on your friend list.
It's not fun to have taunt parties on with friends.

I do not think anyone should be banned for having fun in for fun mode. You use for fun to unwind from the more serious matches in for glory where everyone wants to improve there W/L. For fun should be four players doing whatever they want not forcing them to play repetitive battles on boring stages no one wanted with annoying items no one likes. The banning just restricts what you can do and imo makes the online repititive and boring. None of the other players are distinguishable from each other because they are forced to play the same way. It's ok if you don't like taunt parties people have different tastes. I just don't think that you should get banned for playing the way you like in a mode called for fun.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
@ Sonic94 Sonic94

please read that article that Xenobrawler posted ;)

Sakurai himself doesn't like taunt partiers and feels, way more than anything else that they're playing the game wrong. Take it up with him.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I suppose "to each their own" went straight out the window with the report system. Which was to be expected.

Doing quirky things (not even just taunting) make up more than 90% of the reason I play the game, so I never mind it when things devolve into awkward staring contests. If not in the mood for that, leave the room or beat people up (3v1 is a better challenge, anyway).

Not to egg on, but it always seemed as simple as that. The fact that For Glory exists now made finding srs matches no problem whatsoever.

Spatman

Smash Ace
If you want to fight there is a little mode called "For Glory". Even though you are still meant to fight in for fun the name of the mode had the word "Fun" in it,so that should mean you should be able to have fun however you want as long as it isn't cheating right?
I asked "Isn't boring taunting all the time, without fighting?". Do you really have fun taunting all time? Why? where is the fun?

btw, as i said earlier, Smash is a fighting game. The distinction between For Fun mode and For Glory mode isn't "taunt parties yep" and "taunt parties nop", but is the distinction between a mode with weird stages, all items on and no stats, and a pseudocompetitive mode. But both modes envisage you fight with&against other players. So it's completely fair taunt parties are banned: it would be unfair if a player who wants to fight for fun had his/her fun ruined by a group of people who wants only taunt (booooooooring, imho).
One/two taunts sometimes are right, taunting all the time isn't more Smash Bros, isn't more a Fighting Game at all: It's only a boring "weird-dance simulator"

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
@ Sonic94 Sonic94

please read that article that Xenobrawler posted ;)

Sakurai himself doesn't like taunt partiers and feels, way more than anything else that they're playing the game wrong. Take it up with him.
Sakurai also doesn't like competitive smash and feels they are playing the game wrong.

They should have had modes with bans and ones without bans.

link2702

Smash Champion
Sakurai also doesn't like competitive smash and feels they are playing the game wrong.
well clearly he still likes competitive players more than taunt party players as he's deliberately trying to get rid of y'all ;)

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
Not really he probably doesn't even know what a taunt party is. He made the bans because kids kept getting thrashed online and complaining in his email.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
well clearly he still likes competitive players more than taunt party players as he's deliberately trying to get rid of y'all ;)
Well he isn't trying to get rid off competitive players, because he can't without making another smash game that forces you to play with all items on or something like that.

D

Deleted member

If those players wanna mindlessly goof around and spam taunts go do it with folks on their friend lists. the main point of the for fun mode is to still fight opponents.
Doing that destroys the very point; Taunt Parties (and experiences in general) are only fun and real if they occur outside of your control; creating them on your own destroys the point. It's like the difference between somebody's power going off, which usually brings people closer together, and somebody in your house cutting it off as a means to bond. You have to be part of the experience, not the experience part of you.

Besides, in Taunt Parties it's all about making and meeting new friends in a vast, online world. It is pointless if you orchestrate the event with your friends, it destroys the spirit of it all.

link2702

Smash Champion
Doing that destroys the very point; Taunt Parties (and experiences in general) are only fun and real if they occur outside of your control; creating them on your own destroys the point. It's like the difference between somebody's power going off, which usually brings people closer together, and somebody in your house cutting it off as a means to bond. You have to be part of the experience, not the experience part of you.

Besides, in Taunt Parties it's all about making and meeting new friends in a vast, online world. It is pointless if you orchestrate the event with your friends, it destroys the spirit of it all.
and yet that still doesn't change my point; the main point of smash is to fight opponents. If everyone is not on board with a taunt party, ganging up on that person is just grounds to get you banned. Sakurai even put the report function in smash4 in part due to taunt parties. Any taunt parties I run into, I make damn sure to report em, they don't like it, too bad, the developer himself doesn't even agree with how they're playing the game.

Again, either everyone is on board in the taunt party, or you better just go straight into a FFA then leave and hope the next tauntfest you run into has everyone on board, because if you gang up on one player, or grief them in anyway because they don't want to deal with your boring taunt party, you better expect to be reported and possibly sent to banland for it.

D

Deleted member

and yet that still doesn't change my point; the main point of smash is to fight opponents. If everyone is not on board with a taunt party, ganging up on that person is just grounds to get you banned. Sakurai even put the report function in smash4 in part due to taunt parties. Any taunt parties I run into, I make damn sure to report em, they don't like it, too bad, the developer himself doesn't even agree with how they're playing the game.

Again, either everyone is on board in the taunt party, or you better just go straight into a FFA then leave and hope the next tauntfest you run into has everyone on board, because if you gang up on one player, or grief them in anyway because they don't want to deal with your boring taunt party, you better expect to be reported and possibly sent to banland for it.
The only people who aren't ever on board are the people who can't stand to see others have fun. I'm a competitive player and even I do Taunt Parties. This also works to my benefit, because when a salty player tries to break up the fun I can obliterate them. Ultimately, that one person needs to learn how to have fun, because during sudden death they can just get their kills and either leave or repeat. You can't just get mad and complain, it's all about controlling the narrative.

link2702

Smash Champion
The only people who aren't ever on board are the people who can't stand to see others have fun..
I'ma stop you right there. Fun is subjective. Not everyone finds taunt parties "fun", the rest of your post is irrelevant because again, not everyone finds a taunt party "fun" a lot of us find it annoying, stupid, and boring. Again, either everyone is on board, or you better just go into a FFA, cuz ganging up on that one player is going to get you banned.

Sakurai himself doesn't even like em, hence one of the reasons the report function was put in smash4. to try and limit taunt parties from happening. The developer himself actually condemns this type of play, and has put systems in place to actively stop it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'ma stop you right there. Fun is subjective. Not everyone finds taunt parties "fun", the rest of your post is irrelevant because again, not everyone finds a taunt party "fun" a lot of us find it annoying, stupid, and boring. Again, either everyone is on board, or you better just go into a FFA, cuz ganging up on that one player is going to get you banned.

Sakurai himself doesn't even like em, hence one of the reasons the report function was put in smash4. to try and limit taunt parties from happening. The developer himself actually condemns this type of play, and has put systems in place to actively stop it.
Look, if you are playing in FOR FUN mode, then why should we have to be bound to the strict confines that have always been imposed on us? If you want a legit FFA, then just go on For Glory. Also, we don't know the full purposes behind that button, for all we know it could be used to ban hackers or spammers.

link2702

Smash Champion
Look, if you are playing in FOR FUN mode, then why should we have to be bound to the strict confines that have always been imposed on us? If you want a legit FFA, then just go on For Glory. Also, we don't know the full purposes behind that button, for all we know it could be used to ban hackers or spammers.
I'm pretty sure in the first reveal video showing off smash4, sakurai made mention of the report system and how ONE of the reasons he put it in, was due to taunt parties. We know for a fact in the another smash direct, that he most certainly put some other automatic measures in place to stop players from targeting a single player, stop people from repeatedly self destructing intentionally, and to stop players going idle. THe underlined part being something that taunt parties try to do when one person isn't on board, that person has every right to report em for this should the automatic system not catch it and kick the player(s) responsible.

I don't want to go in FFA for glory, because surprise!, there are no items there and it's strictly final destination. Sometimes I just want a goofy FFA match where people are still actually fighting with all items on against random players. when I'm forced to sift through a bunch of dumb taunt parties that I DO NOT FIND FUN NOR DO A LOT OF OTHER PLAYERS, it gets annoying, in this case I have every right to get each and every one of these taunt partiers banned, more so if they try to gang up on me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom