• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump or Button?

Delta-RS

Smash Cadet
What do you like better?

I personally prefer buttons. I find it easier to short hop and you can strong up without
tap jump. What is your preference?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Definitly buttons, with the control stick it's hard to perform aerials without slamming the stick around.

Igoos

Smash Cadet
Tap jump. I first played Brawl with the wiimote + nunchuck. In this configuration, I was with buttons, programing C button to be jump 'cuz that way is easy to do utilt but with the GC control, I don't have this option so my left index finger be the jump and my middle left finger be the shield button, so I stick with tap jump.

Later, when I buy a Classic Control Pro, I will do a personalized config so L will be jump and LZ will be shield

FIREL

Smash Ace
I use both.
Tap-Jump, only because i'm very used to it.
Button Jump as an alternative jump that i can use in combos.

Juice Box

Smash Cadet
Buttons because they let you quickly perform aerials without having to readjust the control stick too much beforehand.

Turning tap jump to 'off' also helps with not accidentally jumping and gimping yourself. Plus they let you use up tilt much easier.

Bobwama

Smash Rookie
Buttons, R on a GC controller works beautifully.
Utilts can get screwed up into a jump or smash in the heat of battle and ruin your strategy :p...also can cause a lack of falling Uairs.

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
I use both, but I think it hurts my game a little. I do u-tilts after landing, normally, because I am already holding up on the control stick, which leads to predictability with some characters I use (mainly Lucario suffers from this).
When I turn off the tap jump and use buttons, I still sometimes instinctively try to use up as well, and I end up not jumping when I really need to. A little frustrating, I guess.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Whichever is in the more convenient position for the scenario I am in. I guess I alternate, but I will mostly be using the buttons over the control stick.

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
Always buttons. There are times where I would accidentally tap-jump and it turned out very useful, but most of the time it was just problematic.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use both. More-so Tap Jump, but it's been screwing me up when it comes to things like Fire Jump Punching. I also use the X button to footstool or whatever I need to do. Tech Jump also comes in handy when I need to Tech Jump > B-reverse as Snake.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
tap jump on and jumping with buttons too, couse I am used to jump with buttons since Smash 64, and tap jump couse it's useful for OoS options, if you have trouble doing uairs use the c-stick, it wont waste your jump, as for the utilts just push the stick slighty...

but on the other hand, whenever I play as ZSS I use tap jump off, since her OoS options arent that good

~XP~

Smash Apprentice
I ALWAYS turn off tap jump. I've been playing Smash since 64 and I've always use the button, and ever since it's been the same with every smash game.

Not to mention tap jump makes it harder for me to tilt and DACUS.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
tap jump shouldn't be used to actually jump. You should use it if you do OoS up-b or u-smash a lot. I actually assign my unused shield button (L) to jump so I can turn tap jump off and still use OoS options easily.

tocool4muffins

Smash Rookie
Buttons, easier to control. I disable the tap jump under my brawl nickname, just so I don't accidentally jump while trying to use any up-A attack

Kenshinhan

Smash Cadet
Tap jump off please. It does lead to accidental double jumps when you're trying to Uair, and sometimes accidental jumps when you're trying to Utilt from the ground.

Also, Button jump (with x, y, z, r) is probably the easiest way to perform consistent short hops. I don't think I need to explain how important short-hopping is in SSB, SSBM, and SSBB. Button-release and sensitivity to X/Y is easier for me than using Z, but I imagine L or R to be just as good (since there is so much physical button-depth on button presses for quicker button release)

Short-hopping takes practice if you're not used to it, but it's all about quickening your button release (with X/Y/Z) and button press sensitivity with L/R.

Top Bottom