• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump on or off?

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
Recently I turned tap jump off and I actually like how it feels using x to jump. I've been using the analog to jump all my life so I thought the transition would take longer but it went smoothly for the most part. Anyway what I want to ask is what are the benefits of having tap jump off and what are the benefits of having tap jump on? Or is it just preference?

Y-L

Smash Champion
If you have it on you have a much easier time upb'ing OoS, double jump canceling if applicable, and ledge stalling (for me). In addition it will make you more precise with your utilts. Ultimately it's just personal preference though.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I can't mentally separate the idea of stick movement and jumping in my head so I prefer to keep tap jump off (and I like avoiding accidentally using my DJ while trying to Up B). Been button jumping since 64 and always will be.

Up B OoS is a lot easier with it on though, that's for sure.

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
yeah so it is mostly up to preference. My gripe with tap on is that I may accidentally jump when DDing and I feel like WDing is easier with tap off. Thanks for both of your inputs though.

Y-L

Smash Champion
yeah so it is mostly up to preference. My gripe with tap on is that I may accidentally jump when DDing and I feel like WDing is easier with tap off. Thanks for both of your inputs though.
How does it affect WDing?

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I generally leave it on, especially when I play as Ike so jump-cancelling Quick Draws into Up-Smashes is much easier.

Kronos_The_Beast

Smash Cadet
Awesome! I had always presumed pros always turn it off, good to see I'm practising with a competitive setting. Woot :D

Also, why isn't my sig showing? :L

:002:

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Awesome! I had always presumed pros always turn it off, good to see I'm practising with a competitive setting. Woot :D

Also, why isn't my sig showing? :L

:002:
Don't get me wrong a lot of pros play with it off. I just think leaving it on gives you more options.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I like to keep it off only cause I lie to use u-tilts more freely. But it is sacrificing a movement option. It does however screw up my Melee game just a bit cause I get reckless with the stick after a lot of PM. I really should just leave it on.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I like to keep it off only cause I lie to use u-tilts more freely. But it is sacrificing a movement option. It does however screw up my Melee game just a bit cause I get reckless with the stick after a lot of PM. I really should just leave it on.
I've never used tap to jump off and after awhile you never have problems with utilts. It just takes a bit of practice to get a feel for the range that your analog stick can go. If you can learn this range it'll help with not only your utilts but ftilts also.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Over the past few months I finally taught myself how to button jump. But I still have tapjump on for the purpose wavedashing. But my weird playstyle aside I'd say the big one is, as Y-L said, double jump cancelling if you play a character who uses it. Also I remember quite a few Wolf mains said they like using tapjump for jumping out of Shine.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The thing is, you can always jump with X or Y, even if tap jump is on. I have tap jump on and I almost always jump with Y, but sometimes it's very beneficial that I jump with the control stick, so I leave it on.

Tap jump on is good for:
  • Jumping and immediately being able to C-stick an aerial attack or use B moves
  • Some ledge-techs
    • Sheik's shino stall
    • Falco's double lasers
  • Up-smash / up-B out of shield
Tap jump off is good for
  • Not accidentally wasting your second jump when trying to DI up
  • Up-tilts

A lot of it is personal preference. But I would say only turn it off if it's interfering with some of your tech. Otherwise, it's always good to have the option.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I have tap jump off but I can still Up-B OOS.

It is harder though but once you learn it it's fairly easy.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Same here, man. Tap jump on is necessary for up-b oos, and djc'ing . . . and jumping. Yeah, I only use Y to jump cancel z-grabs (normally grab with R+A) and X to wavedash.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Tap-jump is not necessary for any technique. Setting a shoulder button to jump allows you to do the same techniques you could do with tap-jump, while also reaping the benefits of having it off.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Tap-jump is not necessary for any technique. Setting a shoulder button to jump allows you to do the same techniques you could do with tap-jump, while also reaping the benefits of having it off.
That's actually probably really smart. It'd also allow you to waveshine like a million times easier since you don't have to claw.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
How does waveshining force you to claw? You can simply do shine -> move thumb directly to X (passing over/pressing A does nothing) -> wavedash. No need to claw

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'd never understand how people can adjust to not having tap jump on.

After playing smash from 64 to now and practicing how to Utilt so much, I don't see a reason not to have it on since I jump with both the stick and X

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Setting a shoulder button to attack for DACUS use and a shield button to X or Y while leaving tap jump on reaps more benefits than a jump shoulder button imHO

Vashimus

Smash Master
Setting a shoulder button to attack for DACUS use and a shield button to X or Y while leaving tap jump on reaps more benefits than a jump shoulder button imHO
You can set Z to attack and do DACUS's just fine. For those of us who play characters who can't DACUS, there's nothing to lose.

Tap jump literally just comes down to preference, as it doesn't offer any more options than if it was off.

I'd never understand how people can adjust to not having tap jump on.

After playing smash from 64 to now and practicing how to Utilt so much, I don't see a reason not to have it on since I jump with both the stick and X
I usually play with tap-jump on, but people should be open with experimenting with it off. Who knows, you might like tap-jump on for some characters and off for others (what I do).

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I usually play with tap-jump on, but people should be open with experimenting with it off. Who knows, you might like tap-jump on for some characters and off for others (what I do).
It's hard enough trying to adjust to L-cancel/Wavedash with L.

I think I'll pass on this

#tapjumpjohns

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
All things which require a shield are R. L is attack. Trying to learn Y as U-taunt. So yeah, both X and Y are almost entirely tech skill buttons. So how about no.

Pass it on,
#tapjumpjohns

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
All things which require a shield are R. L is attack. Trying to learn Y as U-taunt. So yeah, both X and Y are almost entirely tech skill buttons. So how about no.

Pass it on,
#tapjumpjohns
Yeah, I can wavedash, short hop etc all using tap jump and not the jump buttons. I've set X to footstool and I only use Y for floating with Mewtwo and Peach.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
You can set Z to attack and do DACUS's just fine. For those of us who play characters who can't DACUS, there's nothing to lose.
jump cancel grabbing kinda sux without that sweet macro though, and I do that a lot. I mean like, if I'm moving in anyway, jump cancel grabbing is like 95% likely to happen.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
This falls under the category of controller optimization in my books. For some, it boils down to what you're comfortable with.

For me, I think the comfortability and personal preference for controls are somewhat stupid concepts. You should find out essentially what is most effective as a setup regardless of how hard or uncomfortable it is to learn. Think about the endgame, once you've put in the time, you should have the best controller configuration possible. There is nothing that tap jump does that can't be solved by a more efficient layout. Simply set jump to a different button, turn tap jump off, and manually jump cancel for grabs or up-b-OoS. Now you don't have to deal with accidentally losing a second jump when trying to DI or for any reason.

If any of you buy into what I am saying and are looking for a controller layout scheme, I believe I have found the best layout without having to claw (which can be uncomfortable for many people's hands i.e., long term soreness and stress).

L -> Shield
R-> Attack (Dacus)
Z- Jump - use your right pointer finger (allows thumb to rest near C stick, B, or X for immediate use after jump) This is the most important part of the setup. The placement of jump on the shoulder of the controller allows use of jump with right pointer finger; and special, attack, grab, c-stick with your thumb. As jump is the most important button that will be pressed immediately before many other buttons, this is why it is placed on the shoulder of the controller.
Y--> Grab (jump cancel grab is inputting Z->Y)
X-> attack (the A button could just as easily be attack, this is a relic from a previous controller configuration, but it doesn't matter, the layout is optimized enough that there are spare buttons on the face… lol)
A--> I have this setup as taunt… why? Tauntcancells and footstools? not really, but you don't need all the buttons on the face of the G-cube controller. Feel free to change around the face buttons.
B-> Special (wavebouncing, b-reverse… all are very easy as the jump button (Z) can be pressed with your thumb hovering over B)
C-stick --> normal. Use this for aerials and smashes (for retreating fairs and approaching bairs)

Note-> I recommend removing your springs. It makes everything easier.

If anyone has any issues with this layout, or something they feel is better for a specific purpose go ahead and feel free to share. I've been playing with this layout for a long time now, and It is very efficient for doing absolutely anything and everything I know of in the game. (save for light shielding, which is not in the game yet)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I always disliked Tap Jump. It gets in my way too much. And in Project M I can set up my controller to where Tap Jump isn't necessary for anything (L-set to Jump, Z to attack, X to grab, A to shield, with the other buttons being default, the only thing I'm missing is a button, other then D-pad, for footstools. All I need is one more button on the GC controller and I would be golden. :L

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I always disliked Tap Jump. It gets in my way too much. And in Project M I can set up my controller to where Tap Jump isn't necessary for anything (L-set to Jump, Z to attack, X to grab, A to shield, with the other buttons being default, the only thing I'm missing is a button, other then D-pad, for footstools. All I need is one more button on the GC controller and I would be golden. :L
Why not set Y to taunt? doesn't seem like you're using it.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Why not set Y to taunt? doesn't seem like you're using it.
I use Y for jump along with L.

It's way easier to short hop with Y then L. L is set to jump so that JC grabs are possible still, since Z is attack now, or easier OoS options and things like that.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I really, truly wish to have tap jump off, but I can never think of a good reason to have it that would outweigh the negatives it brings me from having it off. I, for one, jump cancel my grabs by hitting Up on the control stick right before I hit Z to grab. Every other combination I have ever tried is uncomfortable and I just can't seem to stick with it. I also can't Up-B oos with it off, unless there are more secret techniques that I don't know about. And I'd assume that if there is something that works to allow you to Up-B oos with tap jump off it'd probably come X amount of frames slower, which would not be helpful.

Feels bad, man.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I really, truly wish to have tap jump off, but I can never think of a good reason to have it that would outweigh the negatives it brings me from having it off. I, for one, jump cancel my grabs by hitting Up on the control stick right before I hit Z to grab. Every other combination I have ever tried is uncomfortable and I just can't seem to stick with it. I also can't Up-B oos with it off, unless there are more secret techniques that I don't know about. And I'd assume that if there is something that works to allow you to Up-B oos with tap jump off it'd probably come X amount of frames slower, which would not be helpful.

Feels bad, man.
Pass it on,
#tapjumpjohns

Top Bottom