• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump on or off?

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
I really, truly wish to have tap jump off, but I can never think of a good reason to have it that would outweigh the negatives it brings me from having it off. I, for one, jump cancel my grabs by hitting Up on the control stick right before I hit Z to grab. Every other combination I have ever tried is uncomfortable and I just can't seem to stick with it. I also can't Up-B oos with it off, unless there are more secret techniques that I don't know about. And I'd assume that if there is something that works to allow you to Up-B oos with tap jump off it'd probably come X amount of frames slower, which would not be helpful.

Feels bad, man.
You can jump with c-stick ^ with tap jump off. For up b Oos. Just hold shield, c-stick^, up b.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I claw so there isn't anything easier with tap-jump on. And the once in a while mistake with tap-jump on won't happen if I have it off.

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
I main Mewtwo, Pit, and Lucas(though pit is irrelevant to this). I play with tap jump off and it is very detrimental to my Lucas play in the sense that makes it very it difficult to DJC, a technique that both Mewtwo and Lucas use, but mostly Lucas since I can hover cancel with Mewtwo. Having it off is better for my Mewtwo play so I can teleport->hover->aerial(nair lol). I set Z to attack for DACUSing and X for grab to compensate for Z. I can DJC with some annoying difficultly by doing Y->Y->Z (with inputted direction for aerial, generally fair 90 percent of the time) but this method makes it nearly impossible to fastfall. I can hover cancel with Mewtwo (which I only use for fairs and bairs) by inputting diagonally down->hold Y->Z which seems very efficient for the technique.

I came to this thread because tap jump has always been something that has stumped me whenever considering my controls. So I guess what I am asking is what should be my controls/what is a good setup and should I turn on tap jump? Is there anyone with a similar problem or anyone who play with the same characters that can help me out?

Another thing I should add before anyone makes a recommendation is that I really liked @xxsciophobiaxx's control scheme in the sense that I think an "exterior" (shoulder) jump button that's not tap jump for possibly hover moves and better out of shields and a shoulder attack button for DACUS is a really good idea. But sadly this doesn't really work for me because of the fact that there was only one shield button (which sometimes makes me wish there were 4 shoulder buttons :() and I wavedash with R and I need another shield button on L for L canceling and wavedashing out of shield (it's too annoying with one shield button, and I already naturally shield with L). I know that this last paragraph sounds kinda pointless but pretty much I am open to controls around these parameters so if anyone has some good ideas that would be great. I also don't care for footstools at the moment.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
One of the biggest benefits of having tap-jump off is it makes using your up-tilts easier, I have no doubt someone already said this.

Top Bottom