• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump+ Control Schemes

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Kind of just another thread to prevent the board from dying, but what control schemes do you guys use? Do you play with tap jump on/off?

Personally, I just have tap jump off. Everything else is what it should be.

DISCUSS

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm one of the few classic controller users. It's much more sensitive so I don't have to push the buttons so freakin hard. I have tap jump on, but I use x to jump. I use it for OoS upsmashes and upbs and also when I'm doing stuff near the edge of the stage where I need the c-stick and jump button at the same time. It's harder to do that with the x button for some reason. idk. My R button is specials, it's for easier retreating double pikmin throwing.

asob4

Smash Champion
i just do tap off, i got quick hands cause of melee so nothing bothers me
rising aerials are easy peasy :p

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
since i use the wii mote + nunchuck tab jump is on for me the directional pad on the mote is used as smashes because sometime I'll really get into it and not be able to synchronize the stick and the button so i can push the Dpad and it comes off quick, and if me and my opponent are in the same room it makes good for mind games and my nunchuck's C button is my grab because sometimes i can mess up and push the A or B button one before the other...(Ex: one stock left me Wolf vs Meta Knight and i used side B instead of Grab and i found out the hard way that FD is a harsh unforgiving place=Lost LoL.) so the C button does help alot. and besides ALL of that the buttons are the same

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
So many default controls? I'm a little suprised.
GC:
R = jump
X = grab
Z = attack (not really used, just have always done that)
Tap jump is off.
The rest is the same.

Couldn't play olimar any other way.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Straight up default. I haven't found enough of a compelling reason to switch that would offset the inconvenience of having to make a new name and controls when I play somewhere new.

Awex

Smash Lord
I have a very bizarre control scheme

z = jump
y = shield
x = grab
l = grab
tap jump off

z for jump allows me to jump, use full DI either way and c stick any aerial at the same time because both thumbs are free. Y for shield makes powershield easy. X is my replacement grab button but L is also grab so I can use mortarslide/any other technique like that.

That's all my preference though, but tap jump off is a MUST for Olimar players. Not because it makes tilts easier, or you jump by accident or whatever. If that's your problem whatever, but it was never mine, lol.

If you have tap jump off, if you tether early but get hit by whatever, you still have a jump. Or, you can do a ledgehop while hanging like 2 pikmin down on the tether by hitting down and jumping.
It also makes techniques like the runoff up b instant ledgehog (or whatever name it's been given) MUCH easier.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of the few classic controller users. It's much more sensitive so I don't have to push the buttons so freakin hard. I have tap jump on, but I use x to jump. I use it for OoS upsmashes and upbs and also when I'm doing stuff near the edge of the stage where I need the c-stick and jump button at the same time. It's harder to do that with the x button for some reason. idk. My R button is specials, it's for easier retreating double pikmin throwing.
Actually, there's a very easy solution for c-stick and jump stuff. You rotate your right hand so that your middle finger is over R and your index finger is over Y or X and then you use the C-Stick with your thumb. It's awkward at first but it works very well (Mew2King does it). Don't forget that the physical world has as much to do with gaming as the electronic!

I couldn't stand using tap jump, since you can't use your uptilt effectively and you might waste Olimar's precious second jump.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Actually, there's a very easy solution for..."

I read that, and I was like O_O!!! Then I read about clawing, and not about a way to make the gamecube controller more sensitive. *sigh* I clawed in melee, but the classic controller is too small for it to feel right. Plus my hands are too big.

I've got enough tech skill to use uptilt when I want to. And I use a variety of characters, (including Marth) so I need upb OoS.

peeup

Smash Lord
I can't stand tap jump, so I have it off. Other than that, though, I use straight-up default controls for the Classic Controller (no tap jump tho.)

Fino

Smash Master
Default controls. I occasionally have tap jump off (if I can) but it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Funny I see this, because I was just talking about experimenting with control schemes to try stuff for olimar. the first thing I want to look into is auto rar.

~Fino

Top Bottom