• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking Samus to the next level

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Even if what you said is true, that post doesn't have one point to it what so ever...
I say we could rely on priority and you reply with your definition of priority? lol

Throwback

Smash Lord
There is no such thing as 'priority', per se - there is only hitbox/hurtbox interaction which takes place as per frame data. Moves that are disjointed have a hitbox but no hurtbox, giving them extra range to deal damage safely, aka 'priority'.

Close combat implies that all your attacks can reach your opponent's hurtbox, therefore Brawl's closest approximation to 'priority' does not apply, only frame data.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling this is all bull because what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. Whether it does or not, you're simply trying to just disagree with me, just like you did in the beginning of this thread. So what? i used the word priority instead of something else. You still get my point. No need for you to post all that. Let's just all get along. lol

Throwback

Smash Lord
I'm not attacking you and I haven't even disagreed with you. You posted asking about using samus' highest priority moves. I have tried to explain how priority works, and how using 'high priority' in close combat simply doesn't work.

I suggest that looking around for how 'priority' in Brawl works would answer your question for you, since my explanation didn't make sense.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
I will do that. But what my point was, is how about only using Samus' moves that GO THROUGH OTHER MOVES THE BEST(lol) when we have to use close range attacks. I haven't seen much about that stuff in the samus thread besides the fact that up air has good "priority"

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Well I thought of some things when i was bored today. I was thinking about random things that would have helped me against this Dedede i lost to yesterday, and I realized that when he was air camping I'd never feel comfortable because if i did a zair that high, i couldn't cancel it by landing so i'd be open, and same goes for missiles. So I just felt like I had no good options. However some things I thought of that I will try next time I face this Dedede are I'm going to charge Samus' blast while he's air camping in front of me. This will probably draw him to me naturally since that's what people do when you charge the blast. Then I can do up-b OOS/grab while charging or something like that to punish his approach. Another thing I could have done(and I DID do several times but then lost focus due to my dog. lol) is just dash under him and once I'm far enough, turn around and spam etc.

These are some ideas that I feel could help some people. Any opinions or add-ons?

Btw the match against D3 was on FD

Throwback

Smash Lord
Throwback@ i didnt uderstand very well yor point about of priority, you are saying than priority dont exist in brawl? is only Hitbox side interacions?

is interesting...
exactly. There are some funny exceptions like falco's lasers & MK's inability to hit projectiles I think.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm still of the opinion that bombs are the key to advancing Samus, but I still need to get viable data to prove it. When I get my license, I'll go to the next Mass Madness.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
@ Serris
Haha nice I might see you there. I go to those as much as I can. :p
Also one use of bombs that I haven't seen people mention is using it to delay your landing, especially if you don't have your double jump. Getting punished for landing can be tough to avoid because samus jumps so much to use zairs and missiles, so this is one extra thing that could help

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I believe that studying Samus empirically at this point won't improve her much. To understand how to play her better would need more involvement from Samus mains. I mean the players would need to travel more, play better and different people. Discovery of a more refined, effective style would evolve from playing the variety of people and matchups.

When it comes down to it, Samus has an uphill battle in most matchups. This means you won't have guaranteed effective gambits to rely on. You will have to play against the player more than the matchup (in my opinion).

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
@ Rohins I agree. The thought just randomly came to my mind so I figured I'd post it. lol
Anyways, you're right about knowing the player more than the matchup. We(Samus mains) are limited in matchups, not ability to read etc. So there is definitely a lot of room for improvement in playing against certain PLAYERS. However, learning the matchup is extremely important as well, since you have to be aware of what moves/tactics to look out for and all that.

Top Bottom