• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj's Jab Theory

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I've all but mastered every kind of utility in each of Mewtwo's moves, including his moves that don't actually have much real utility, but I found a use for them anyway. (Confusion and Disable) The last move I really had yet to master was Mewtwo's jab (Standing Neutral A).

There was a brief instance in Shadow Claw 2 against Dark's Captain Falcon (The scene where I play the combo in reverse then forward.) where I rise on the platform while jabbing, stop his aerial attempt and perform a falling forward air through platform. I've always kinda fiddled with M2's Jab but it was just one of those moves that just had no utility except making me feel like a bad ***.

After my previous Smash session with an aspiring Melee player named Tai (Tee Aye Eye), I've come to the conclusion that jab's uses are pretty much limited to a couple of situations where you can easily come up with a better move or decision, but jabs look the coolest anyway. (This is why I’m using it in the first place.)

The primary situations for jabs to be useful are against floaties that don't have a longer range and quick neutral air like Samus, but still have air superiority over most characters and tend to try and strike back after getting hit like Peach and Marth. I've found that your normal down tilt -> grab/forward air usually depends on DI, but if it bangs their shield, they tend to do a number of things out of shield following a down tilt if you space away from the shield grab.

Where the jab truly shines is when they try to jump out of shield with an aerial in an attempt to punish your down tilt. Down tilt > Jab > down tilt > jab Down seems to work as a means to mess with their rhythm as it hits high, stops their jump, and brings them back down for more down tilt or grab pressure. tilt > Jab cancel > Jab > Crouch Cancel Down tilt/ Roll also helps turn your failed Jab game into something that can start your combo anyway or prevent you from getting grabbed or comboed yourself.

Jab Combos have Zero utility unless you plan to bait an attack and crouch cancel out of it. I have no plans to find more uses for this move.

If anyone else has anything enlightening to aid in my jab theories, please post your thoughts. Otherwise, discuss how awesome I am.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wouldn't dtilt to shield grab be better...? It seems like they would have to use the aerial fairly early (gah, no pun intended) to put on the pressure they want, so if you could shield that, you could grab them before they hit the ground...

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Wouldn't dtilt to shield grab be better...? It seems like they would have to use the aerial fairly early (gah, no pun intended) to put on the pressure they want, so if you could shield that, you could grab them before they hit the ground...
Of course, that wasn't the point. I'm trying to find an application for a useless move. The only redeeming quality of Mewtwo's jab is that it looks cool, I like purple fire.

The range on the jab seems to be larger, but there just isn't enough hit stun coupled with the lag to make it more useful... like Ganon's.

Oh, and if you didn't already know you can use Mewtwo's jab to cancel Samus' fully charged shot when its damage and knock back is diminished. Of course you can use jab on other projectiles, but it just isn't as cool as doing it to the charge beam or missiles and I'm trying to focus on the actual attack's function. :)

M2K- What is the hit stun duration on Mewtwo's jab in conjunction with the total lag of the move? Is it really just impossible unless the person is just... ****ing surprised that they got jabbed?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You can cancel the Charge Shot? Doesn't the damage have to be within eight or nine percent?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
The Charge shot has to be decayed or diminished, meaning it has to have hit several times in a row and has minimum effectiveness for the jab to cancel it with correct timing. The "spark" of the jab hits the beam and cancels it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
yeah taj is pretty awesome no doubt about it

come to my house taj we'll play smash for ages and record and everyone will love both of us even more than before

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Actually, it isn't risky at all. It is just completely worthless if you understand the requirements for it to work. It just makes you look like a BAMF.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno, I'm always scared of trying to clank Shadow Balls and Charge Shots. 'Cause what happens if you miss?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I dunno, I'm always scared of trying to clank Shadow Balls and Charge Shots. 'Cause what happens if you miss?
Probz die.

Also, I've been doing some research into the jab also, and I was just about to make a thread, but then I saw this.

Mewtwo's jab is also REALLY good at boning people's recoveries. If I'm not mistaken, you can hit with the lower portion of the "spark", making M2's jab perfect for screwing up recoveries like Falcons, or Marths (providing you crouch cancel Marth's at a low percentage and you hit with the jab so that the spark is actually off the stage). After hitting with the lower part of the jab, your opponent should begin to fall a TINY bit, and if you're fast enough, you can down/forward-tilt before they have a chance to attack.

Top Bottom