• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching A to Z, and Z to A.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Is this a viable option? Like, would my aerials like Dair/Nair/Fair be gimped so hard, that it wouldn't be worth doing this? I figured I can utilize my ATs better, but I am not sure if it would be worth it. Discuss!

Examples: Using the A button for the ZAIR and the DAC see way easier than using that tiny Z button.

L!nk2D

Smash Rookie
i wouldnt do it. you already pointed it out yourself:
doing attacks, which youll propably use much more often then zairs or so, on the tiny z button is not worth it. you may be right, when youre saying its easier to zair, but i think its a lot more comfortable DACing with Z - youd have to be very fast with Z set to A.

Z for attacks is good, gives you bomb smashing and an easier DAC and bombslides. switching A to grabs seems a bit ehm...
strange, but I cant see any problems with it if you get used to it, I think im going to try this.

@L!nk2D: You can DAC with attack button, it makes it easier.

Izaw

Smash Ace
==*Examples: Using the A button for the ZAIR and the DAC see way easier than using that tiny Z button*==

Use your R button then, make it Attack

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Z is actually grab not attack. :p

Izaw and I work off the same idea. We set whatever shoulder button we don't use for shield to attack. I think Arkive does it too... and maybe Legan, but he ain't here.

Bonuses to setting L or R to attack: Easy and comfortable to DAC and BombSmash. If you flub up a DAC, you'll dash attack instead of grabbing; which will save you a lot of lag. Everything else is still default controls, leaving you able to do everything you could find in a bag-o-chips.

The only downside I could imagine is if for some off-the-wall reason you need both shoulders to sheild... but I wouldn't think you need that in Brawl, ever.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I just use Z.... I could never use L for anything. Not in Smash anyway. And I need R. :p That's my primary shield button. So I stick with Cstick->Z Up.

L!nk2D

Smash Rookie
Izaw and I work off the same idea. We set whatever shoulder button we don't use for shield to attack. I think Arkive does it too... and maybe Legan, but he ain't here.
Bonuses to setting L or R to attack: Easy and comfortable to DAC and BombSmash
i feel so proud now. so fricken proud.
cuz i do that too ! =D

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
What the hell...I just tried switching R to attack and this is easier in a way than scrunching your finger to hit Z in the middle of battle...the only problem is that I never noticed is that when you hit R I never consciously realized you had to push that mofo a mile deep for the button to activate...Why on gods green earth would the makers of Nintendo have something so stupid? It's not like it's pressure sensitive...it's just dumb :(

This switching R thing is much better if I can learn to push this thing 6 feet under every time I do DAC...I'm actually worse at it now than using Z. I'm not sure if I should re-train myself or not... :(

D

Deleted member

the only button you should ever change would be the R trigger because bomb smashing with the A button is ********. if you change anything else you're more or less just screwing yourself over

/thread

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Wait, everyone uses L to shield? I use R. The button hand stays the button hand. The moving (and taunting) hand stays the moving (and taunting) hand lol

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Switching Z to an attack is great for ATs, but the feel of the button (IMO) seems to be less effective for basic attacks than A.

Here's what I do, remember that you have two jump buttons and I'm sure you don't use both. Switch the top jump button, X, to jump, and change Z to attack. I think Zair is much more effective this way.

Also, use a shield button you don't use for something else. Whatever seems most helpful - I personally change it to specials for easier use of FHDA and pulling bombs out while edge hopping.

massimo009

Smash Cadet
wat i did was switch r to jump an x end y to grab. that way you dont sacrifice the aries, smashes, or hookshot. Yet doing DAC is hard to master still.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Only change R.

You can also do somethings with specials like change X/Y to special for FHDA but that is about the extend to how far you should go.

Forlin

Smash Cadet
Only use R because you're super Melee trained, right? :p

After learning some Link AT's with different set-ups, I have L set to Grab and X set to Special. Doing a DAC just means a tap of the right thumb and a pinch of the left fingers, and doing a pivot grab just feels more natural with Grab right near the directional stick. X as special means just a slide/tap of the thumb for the various AC/DA techniques and edge hop bomb pulls.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I guess you're right.... lol I played a lot of Melee before Brawl so that was probably it. I can't use L for my life. Now to play some Melee (to lazy to set up Brawl (I have to use a Freeloader because my English version broke, I was with out Brawl for weeks, my dad went to Japan and BAM! got me a Japanese Brawl. Then I had to get a Freeloader but now I'm in business. So if you ever play me on wifi, I might be using a Japanese name ;D))

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I guess you're right.... lol I played a lot of Melee before Brawl so that was probably it. I can't use L for my life. Now to play some Melee (to lazy to set up Brawl (I have to use a Freeloader because my English version broke, I was with out Brawl for weeks, my dad went to Japan and BAM! got me a Japanese Brawl. Then I had to get a Freeloader but now I'm in business. So if you ever play me on wifi, I might be using a Japanese name ;D))
wow seriously? Thats so weird, but its funny. So, when are you getting back an english version of brawl or do you even plan on buying an english version?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I might get an English one but Ike sounds so cool and says one of Roy's winning phrases when he wins in the Japanese version. So I'll just stick with Japanese for the moment.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I used L in Melee, lol. The only time I ever used R in Melee was for WaveShielding. :D

For me it's like this: Left hand = control stick and L for shielding (and pausing, however rare that is); Right hand = Everything else.

Top Bottom