• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switchful Thinking: Smashboards' Nintendo Switch Predictions

Do you hope to see Melee HD for the Nintendo Switch?

• YES! MAKE IT NOW NINTENDO!

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Nah I'm good, I suck at Melee.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

High hopes linger upon the Smash community and Nintendo fanboys when discussions or rumors are mentioned of the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch has the potential to change the current Smash community As many of you know Nintendo's worldwide reveal for their new in-home console, Nintendo Switch, will take place live from Tokyo, Japan on January 12th at 8 PM. PT/11 PM. ET.

As the reveal date draws near, Smashboards' Staff Writer Josh "One PC" Olalde grabbed a few members from his local Smash scene to discuss their predictions over what the community wants from the Nintendo Switch.

A few things that was brought up in the Nintendo Switch discussion was what the price point will be, possible DLC for the Smash port, the specs, what game titles we want, and possibility of how it could impact the Super Smash Bros. community in either a positive way or in a negative way.

If you are not caught up with the Nintendo Switch news, you can click here to take you the Switch rumors that we know as of now.

Are you guys excited as we are for this new console? Will we see a Super Smash Bros port on the day of the reveal? Will we finally see Super Smash Bros. Melee HD? Feel free to comment below and discuss about how you as a community feel about the Nintendo Switch reveal coming up. As always, please follow Nintendo's Twitter for any details, announcements and updates on Nintendo Switch. Stay tuned to SmashBoards for more Nintendo related news.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

Meh. We'll see what happens with the Switch.

As for the subject of a HD Melee...eh. Melee is Melee. It is what it is because of a confluence of random jank mechanics and years upon years of development happened to produce a flashy, fun experience.

I don't see that lightning striking twice, especially if any of the coding changes or they decide to straight up change anything.

The way I view it is that Melee HD is something that tons of fans would want... so naturally, that means Nintendo won't do it, especially if Sakurai, the sour grape that he is about Melee fans, has any say on it.

Last edited:
Meh. We'll see what happens with the Switch.

As for the subject of a HD Melee...eh. Melee is Melee. It is what it is because of a confluence of random jank mechanics and years upon years of development happened to produce a flashy, fun experience.

I don't see that lightning striking twice, especially if any of the coding changes or they decide to straight up change anything.

If they decide to go with HD Melee I'm pretty sure they will want to "fix" it's mechanics, and that will **** it up.

The way I view it is that Melee HD is something that tons of fans would want... so naturally, that means Nintendo won't do it, especially if Sakurai, the sour grape that he is about Melee fans, has any say on it.
^^^^^^^^^^

Unless they add online play I'm not interested. I don't really care about the Gamecube controller but I know a lot of people will and also the character roster balancing and smooth controls of Smash 4 wont feel as great when transitioning to Melee HD unless they make some changes.

I'm convinced the people that like Melee are those who picked it up at some point and never dropped it or let it go. I'm saying not there's something wrong with people who enjoy Melee but in my opinion what keeps the Smash scene from progressing and evolving into a more predominant eSports scene is the division between Smash games.

Last edited:
Unless they add online play I'm not interested. I don't really care about the Gamecube controller but I know a lot of people will and also the character roster balancing and smooth controls of Smash 4 wont feel as great when transitioning to Melee HD unless they make some changes.

I'm convinced the people that like Melee are those who picked it up at some point and never dropped it or let it go. I'm saying not there's something wrong with people who enjoy Melee but in my opinion what keeps the Smash scene from progressing and evolving into a more predominant eSports scene is the division between Smash games.
It's easy to say Melee fans are nostalgia blind considering the age of the game, but the real reason the fans stick around is because of the core gameplay. It's such a tight, polished, responsive gameplay experience. The reason Melee fans haven't "moved on" is because most of then feel they haven't gotten a proper sequel. To date, no (official, standalone) Smash game is able to even come close to the feel and pace that Melee has.

Also on the eSports thing, I know this is pretty subjective, but Melee seems to be a much more exciting spectator sport due to the pace.

That's a view.

Another is that Nintendo doesn't want to remake an old game for a niche fan base (competitive Smash players).

That's a view.

Another is that Nintendo doesn't want to remake an old game for a niche fan base (competitive Smash players).
I mean, I wouldn't really say that we are niche. We technically fit the definition but the connotation implies that we are a very small fraction of the fanbase, when in reality I wouldn't be surprised if 5% or more of the active player base was competitive.

Quite the opposite though. Melee HD is something that most people dont really want (the competitive scene tends to overestimate their numbers)... so naturally, Nintendo wont do it because it is not very viable from a business perspective. It baffles me why people act as if that was the most logical choice while victimizing themselves.

Last edited:
Melee is just going to be a virtual console port.

That and it's not viable to make Melee HD from a business standpoint.
Still a port on HD TVs, please do.

Quite the opposite though. Melee HD is something that most people dont really want (the competitive scene tends to overestimate their numbers)... so naturally, Nintendo wont do it because it is not very viable from a business perspective. It baffles me why people act as if that was the most logical choice while victimizing themselves.
I can assure you that competitives aren't the only one who'd want Melee back.

One way or another, melee is getting remade, be it VC port or remake.
The Gamecube is the only major console series left that has yet to get on the downloadable shop service, and with heavy hints that Eternal Darkness will b announced tonight due to the trademark renewal it makes it even more inevitable.

What makes me laugh is the people that want a Melee HD, but what it untouched. You KNOW if Melee is getting a remaster/remake, it's getting changed big time.

What makes me laugh is the people that want a Melee HD, but what it untouched. You KNOW if Melee is getting a remaster/remake, it's getting changed big time.
that's what makes it such a double-edged sword. It's something people both want and don't want. We know Melee will be back in some form-EVERY top selling Nintendo game has come back in some way and that trend isn't changing anytime soon- but I brought up a similar topic in the Melee section a few years back about how I'm not even sure if anyone would truly get too invested, as even though SF2 HD Remix was made and even was headed by major competitive player David Sirlin, in the end the majority just stuck to playing Super Turbo instead of moving to that.

Then of course there is the nature of Nintendo remakes, which usually either fall in the categories of either massively blowing the original game out of the water(Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen) or being good but somehow lacking compared to the originals(Mario 64 DS, Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire) which probably also has some people being a little anxious.

i highly doubt nintendo would mess with melee's mechanics if they did give us an HD port. They know very well just how passionate melee fans are of the game, and for pretty much all the reasons why.

I'd be willing to bet they'd pick a version out of all the GCN originals, and stick with that, not touching it mechanically, and simply up scaling it. Everything including the blackhole glitches and phantom hits would be retained. That way they don't alienate the fans of the original. THey know full good and well that the vast majority of people who wil buy an HD melee are tournament players, and a few nostalgic players. Nintendo knows that if they touch the gameplay mechanics of it in anyway there will be an uproar and some very vocal melee players will bash the **** out of it.

Nintendo doesn't want that kind of publicity at all.

Top Bottom