• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swift's Falco Videos (Update April 20)

jngamer

Smash Cadet

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
In the third video and first half of the fourth video, you played with a remarkably smart manner. Your biggest problem is that you make a ton of stupid decisions. Your spacing is messed up; you chase the opponent off the edge when you should be camping on stage, you camp on stage when you should be chasing them off the edge. I counted many times where you walked straight into a hit, or suicided randomly. Your technique is good and sometimes it shows, but you really need to reconsider your approach to the game.

On another note, good use of lasers in the third video. You could have easily three stocked Link there.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I suggest playing more defensively, instead of "Jumping into the ****" you should focus more on not getting hit rather then beserking and running into hits. Though I'm saying playing defensively if the opportunity presents itself start a combo.

Omega_Knight

Smash Cadet
redgreenblue said it nicely. You gotta practice your approach. Sometimes you would do the same thing even though it didnt work. For example, you should have learned by the fourth time that you shouldn't approach link from under him with any move. All in all you did good. You should also post another video of you playing someone different or better because that link didnt seem that good.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
Ok, first of all, what were you shooting lasers at Marth for when your so close? I agree with the shots when hes in the air (passed the stage) but not when hes so close. But then again, it seemed to work for you on the first stock of the 4th video.

You use a lot of chaingrabs... which is good. Actually from what I saw, your a very good player, with the spikes and everything.

Except you can't space for ****. Shine please? It really helps. And yeah, play in a more defensive manner, pick the skill of playing defensively and it'll change your whole perspective of Falco.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Yeah I suggest playing more defensively, instead of "Jumping into the ****" you should focus more on not getting hit rather then beserking and running into hits. Though I'm saying playing defensively if the opportunity presents itself start a combo.
Ahhh....the greatest advice i ever got on these boards..."don't jump into the ****".

It's great advice too TC. Your falco was, in the third and (some) of the fourth video, really good. You made great use of your lazers in that third vid, and it was pretty nice in the fourth video too. But i aws confused as to how you were deciding on when to go off stage for the spike and when not to. A few times you did it ingeniously (your opponent had low percent), but other times you rushed and made dumb decisions (the end of the fourth, he had 143 percent...no need to go for the spike, just wait for him to come back on stage).

Also, i noticed you almost always went for the grab when your opponent was stuck in a long animation of a smash/special move. A few of those times you should have used your Fsmash to force them off the stage and make them try to recover.

Really though, a good looking falco. Just keep practicing. Nice vids.

clowsui

Smash Legend
you've got an OK falco

1. less Dair. at least 80% of your aerials are Dair...CHANGE THAT.
2. use lasers as a camping AND an approach tool. you only seemed to take it as an approach, lasers are much more versatile.
3. more f and d-smash. easy way to get them away and apply pressure afterwards.
4. if you're going to go for risky edgeguards, try to stage spike them or to hit them when they're closer to the blast zones. it does you no good to f**** up a GREAT edgeguarding situation with a stupid move, so choose the smartest one.
5. more nair and uair. vert kills are not that hard with uair, especially with the percentages they were at for your usmashes. nair works wonders for your pressure game.

Najin

Smash Rookie
Practice your SHL. Your attacks seem to be a little predictable as well. And like everyone else has said, practice your approach. His b-air is great for approaching. And I disagree with clowsui, lasers can be great for approaching. Just don't overuse it. Oh and grab the ledge with your phantasm if you see him waiting there. Just don't do it too much or he'll expect you to grab the ledge.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Question for you and anyone who can answer, how do you do the Up Smash out of the Dash (Not an Up smash while dashing but actually Up Smashing after hitting with the Dash Attack)

You do it twice in the third video around 33. I'd like to know how

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
You can do it two ways with Falco, he's using the less useful method known as gatling. As soon as your dash attack hits the opponent, do a usmash. For this method it's easiest to c-stick down then up again quickly when you're next to your opponent.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Practice your SHL. Your attacks seem to be a little predictable as well. And like everyone else has said, practice your approach. His b-air is great for approaching. And I disagree with clowsui, lasers can be great for approaching. Just don't overuse it. Oh and grab the ledge with your phantasm if you see him waiting there. Just don't do it too much or he'll expect you to grab the ledge.
XD I said for him to use it as both an approach and a camp tool. Seeing as I play Falco in both Melee and Brawl I would recognize that lasers are good approach >_>;

Also bair for approaching? Really, do you want to do that at low percents? At low percents they'll have like 0 hitstun and just turn around and beat you in the face (lol Marth, fsmash). Not to mention bair has quite a large knockback if you sweetspot it...if you don't sweetspot it (at low percents) you'll have again near 0 hitstun and then they'll just whack you in the face. At higher percents it's better to use but in most cases aerial approach is better handled with nairs, just use F/Bair occasionally to mix it up.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Clowsui pretty much hit all the points that I would have said. I'd also add to the list the use of immediate aerial phantasms. Falco's >B is far much harder to punish in this game, and it makes for a great spacing tool. If you ever feel overwhelmed near the edge or you want to keep up your laser camping, SH and quickly phantasm into your opponent. Like all of Falco's moves, though, it needs to be used in moderation. Watch Sethlon's Falco for applications.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Two biggest problems I saw were:

1. Too many dairs, especially at higher %'s. A bair in many of the situations could have caused a kill/force them off the stage leading to an easy kill.

2. After link did attacks with a lot of lag after (dair especially) you grabbed instead of fsmash. Actually now I think about it I don't think you used fsmash once. It's a great kill move with incredible range. Of course there's a lot of lag after but there were many situations which you could've had a guaranteed hit.

Polymus

Smash Cadet
A most lovely Falco, but I do agree with most of the comments above. I do see you doing throws most of the time, which, are in fact lovely, but can make you more predictable. Also, you should consider throwing your opponents at low %, unless your chain grabbing, can easily give your opponent a nice comeback. Make sure you try to have your opponent shuffled around as close to you as possible. Finish the opponent off when you know you can knock them out in one go. Falco is full of many quick attacks, and most are strong too, so take in the satisfaction of a little juggling. =P

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Looking for some people who would give me advice on my falco (:

Take a look at the videos and give me some advices. Thanks!

April 16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIle_Da2b_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCAaPdC2His
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz0fpwiwKVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKyWvWngPx4

Comment here or on the video itself.
i didn't watch all of them, but the 3rd video was very good except for that one kill. ur definitely better than me with falco though.

i noticed u did the "DLX hit" or whatever people are calling it where u dash, kick, and then do the up smash. How are u doing that? i can't seem to get it down right

You can do it two ways with Falco, he's using the less useful method known as gatling. As soon as your dash attack hits the opponent, do a usmash. For this method it's easiest to c-stick down then up again quickly when you're next to your opponent.
alright i just read that a little while ago, i'll try that. how can u tell he was doing the worse method?

Cojan

Smash Rookie
Not bad dude. But everything I said I said on your youtube link. Gotta play more ppl though and post as good as your Falco is majority of your dmg or wins was because you knew your friends mindgames and/or your skill was above his. Like the matches with Link where he would boomerang and you would spot dodge shine spam. That would almost NEVER work against a above average Link. For the cg you are way too predictable when you try to go for it. Do things like run towards them shield roll back ect, things to make them play into your cg than going out randomly spamming it. GG overall though.

jngamer

Smash Cadet
well, i would upload matches against toher peoeple that i know are much better then link, but i play at there place, and they dont have a capture card, so o well, ill see if sending replays will work.

Codi

Smash Ace
ok i only saw 3 problems with your first video on april 20 when you vs'ed fox but there not horrible and sometimes ppl just dont do them lol your

first problem was at 00:45-00.47 when fox was off the edge you could have ran off and grabbed the ledge and he would have died

second problem at around 02:30-02:37 you just started randomly grabbing lmao which isn't rly a problem i just thought it was funny

3rd was at the end at 3:50-3:56 you could have held onto the edge again

other than that your a rly good falco and it seems like you do the exact things i do with my falco if you have any questions i'm already subscribed to you on youtube as Cmsk8r91

jngamer

Smash Cadet
ok i only saw 3 problems with your first video on april 20 when you vs'ed fox but there not horrible and sometimes ppl just dont do them lol your

first problem was at 00:45-00.47 when fox was off the edge you could have ran off and grabbed the ledge and he would have died

second problem at around 02:30-02:37 you just started randomly grabbing lmao which isn't rly a problem i just thought it was funny

3rd was at the end at 3:50-3:56 you could have held onto the edge again

other than that your a rly good falco and it seems like you do the exact things i do with my falco if you have any questions i'm already subscribed to you on youtube as Cmsk8r91
I dont relly enjoy edge grabbing, i do in competitions, but in casuals, i dont like to end the match that way, with edge grabbing. And with the random grab, my R button went strange, and would grab just be pressing r. Thanks of the tips, maybe ill edge grab in casuals to get my opponent pissed (:

Codi

Smash Ace
haa cool well i wasnt trying to big a **** when i posted but ur a rly good falco player hopefully ill vs u one day

Top Bottom