• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
For those downvoting Ike, I would like you show you the amazing player known as Ryo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHMM-dOg90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKujI0urZro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFF5RzEkwXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMjD1Bez2AQ

Ike may have been one of the worst characters in the game pre-patch, but I believe he got enough buffs to truly be a threat.
For those downvoting Kirby, I would like to show you the amazing player known as MikeKirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNyuPfcAtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBtl2JD6XA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Ia5qn6gIo
Kirby may have been one of the wost characters pre-patch, but I believe he got enough buffs to truly be a tjreat.

Don't ACTUALLLY watch those, I'm just making a point that one guy cannot make a character good. Amsa's melee yoshi didnt make yoshi go top tier, stuff like that. People can be good witha character, that character doesnt have to be top tier.

EDIT:
Original:
:4megaman::4robinf::4olimar::4pit::4wario::4myfriends::4kirby::4tlink::4link::4pacman:

My vote :

:4megaman::4pit::4olimar::4robinf::4wario::4myfriends::4link::4tlink::4pacman::4kirby:
The most you can move a character up or down on the list is two, and you moved someone 3 fyi

Last edited:

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
For those downvoting Ike, I would like you show you the amazing player known as Ryo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHMM-dOg90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKujI0urZro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFF5RzEkwXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMjD1Bez2AQ

Ike may have been one of the worst characters in the game pre-patch, but I believe he got enough buffs to truly be a threat.
There are good DK players! DK is still low tier! One player can't change that. All characters have potential. And if you think Ike is good his placing on the tierlist shouldn't matter. And if you do care about his tier list placings drive yourself to all the big tourneys and prove just how great Ike can be.

Last edited:

patrickthekid

Smash Cadet
Good points. I still think an argument can be made for Ike not going down. His aerials got improved in speed and has pretty good throw conversions on top of his killing power. Jab got nerfed, but is still pretty good. And with the range that he has, it makes approaching difficult for a lot of characters.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I am very concerned about the placement of :4dedede:, :4bowser: and :4bowserjr:

I'd say Dedede belongs in D tier, right in between Robin and Olimar.

Bowser, I would say, belongs in D tier as well. Perhaps in between Toon Link and Kirby.

Bowser Jr. I think should be placed behind Greninja in C tier. I can honestly see :4bowserjr: dominating the other characters in the tiers before him.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
:4miibrawl: :4peach: :4mario::4villager: :4shulk: :4rob: (Villager+2, MM/Greninja out)

:4megaman: Up a tier.
:4greninja:Down a tier.

:4greninja: feels to be high D tier, in-line with Robin/Olimar. He's still good, but I've really not seen any real solid showings for Greninja since his nerfs-- losing the Dair mixups and all that was just a massive hit. That said, he mightn't even move below Robin and co., just be top of D...

:4megaman:Though... holy hell can a good MM be terrifying. To start with, the simple fact that he feels even with or even at an advantage against Diddy... But between all his techs with metal blades and the like, the lemon zoning, the recovery trickery, the solid KO options... I mean, he's not commonly used that much yet, but he's picking up some terrifying momentum. Looks like a dark horse like Luigi was a few months back, so resting in the same tier sounds reasonable.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4mario::4miibrawl::4peach::4rob::4villagerf::4shulk::4greninja::4megaman:

I vote Mario up a tier
Megaman down a tier. (It's legal to vote the character down even if they were promoted right?) Whoops.
I won't vote anyone down, I think this looks about right with the exception of Mega Man.

Last edited:

KingHerpOfDerp

Smash Cadet
Its time (BUT SO EARLY) for the community voted tier list again! I did this for brawl over a period of a year and it became very popular with well over 1000 votes cast. I await the day the mods allow me to move this into the competitive forum where it belongs :)

In this spoiler is a big long explanation of how phase one of this process works
For new players or those that didnt take part in the brawl one, I do this because I have an immeasurable dislike for how Smash tier lists are formed. I am a big fan of the iterative process instead of the vote > average > list process. Iteration is a slower process but allows for more refined adjustments for each and every character movement before the list is looked at as a whole, and the process is repeated. It is a holistic process, designed to make a tier list factoring in many aspects.

This is my method, it is long but it is comprehensive and fun for people who get involved.

All characters start at an equal rating for a clean slate and will move up and down every update. Ideally we want a rank of characters completely individual with no sharing of a position however multiple characters can occupy the same spot.

Twice per week, every week, all members of SWF are welcome to post no more than THREE characters, and a direction they want to send them. Either +1 or -1. You can vote on any number less than three. Members are encouraged to spend their 3 votes on the characters they feel are most out of place. If you think 10 characters should go up and 10 should go down, pick the 3 that you feel are in most need of the boost.

Base your votes on ANYTHING you want. This is a community list. If you think tourney results are all that matters, use them. If your scene has a lot of a certain character and you cant beat them, vote them up. Put characters where YOU think they should be, not where everyone else does.

At the end of each voting period (at this stage it will be every monday and friday, but may become weekly) I will tally up every single vote. All characters who receive more + votes than – votes go up 1 position and vice versa. In cases of a character getting equal number, they wont move. For example if DK receives ten +1 votes but only one -1 vote, he will move up one spot. No character can ever move more than 1 spot at a time. A character however can be multiple places higher than others and move down, it will still only go down one.

Of course, each person can only vote once per period. Multiple votes in the same period are ignored, only the first counts.

This is an example of the required reply to this thread. At this point in time the maximum amount of votes is THREE per period. I will update the thread title when a new voting period begins.

DK +1
Ness -1
Mario -1

You are allowed to do any combination of + and – votes if you want, 3 + and 0 – votes is perfectly fine. Remember only +1 or -1 votes allowed!

Over time the tier list will spread out and characters will fit into their places.

We want to spread the list out so that every character is in their own position, we will worry about the grouping for tiers later and dont get complacent! Any character can be moved at any time with enough down votes.

If Diddy is sitting at #1 and in one update period he gets a single downvote and no one +1'd him, he could get sent down to #2 while the #2 character could overtake him. That's part of the fun! It keeps this list highly dynamic.

A final note on phase one, at any time I can change the maximum required number of votes. It will usually be between 3 and 5, it starts off at 5 to get things moving.
And this is phase 2 to create an actual list with tiers and characters in order
Phase 2 will happen when we move to finalise the list.

I will give 3 weeks notice before cutting off voting and cementing the list where I will break the list down into tiers based on the characters' positions.

Here a new phase of voting begins. People vote to organise the position of each character in each tier. We vote to break up the characters into about 5-8 tiers before voting on each tier, one at a time. Say for example we decide that a tier consists of these characters
:4lucario::4fox::4greninja::4pikachu::4miibrawl::rosalina::4sonic::4yoshi:
This is how they finished when the voting ended. From here, we vote on the order of the characters but the rule is no character can move more than TWO spaces away from where they are.

A vote would look like this
:4lucario::4pikachu::4fox::4greninja::4miibrawl::rosalina::4yoshi::4sonic:

I then simply average out the votes to come up with the final position. Think of it as each character is being ranked 1-8, I just average out the number with the only rule being no character can move more than 2 spaces.

The reason for this is many times people write a tier list and then after its complete, they realise that although one character is better than another, overall, they are probably lower factoring in matchup spread etc.

At the end of this phase two, the SWF Community Tier List Version 1.0 will be created. A short break and we begin version 2.0 :)

Ideally we will create a list every 3-4 months.

THIS IS NOW PHASE 3, THE TIER LIST AS IT STANDS IS BELOW

D, E, F, H AND G TIER ARE LOCKED, NOW WORKING ON C TIER

S:4diddy: :4sheik:
A:4pikachu: :4ness: :4yoshi: :rosalina: :4falcon: :4zss: :4sonic:
B:4lucario: :4fox: :4luigi:
C:4miibrawl: :4peach: :4mario: :4shulk: :4rob: :4villager: :4greninja: :4megaman:
D:4robinf: :4olimar: :4pit: :4wario: :4kirby: :4tlink: :4link: :4pacman:
E:4myfriends::4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4duckhunt: :4darkpit::4metaknight:
F:4marth: :4ganondorf: :4lucina: :4zelda: :4falco: :4littlemac: :4dk: :4bowserjr:
G:4samus::4dedede: :4drmario: :4wiifit: :4palutena: :4gaw: :4charizard: :4miigun:
H:4miisword:

The rules are, we vote for the characters in this tier

:4miibrawl::4peach::4mario::4shulk::4rob::4villager::4greninja::4megaman:

You vote by simply arranging these characters in the order that you like. There are 2 rules

1) No character can move more than 2 spots left or right
2) You can vote for one character in the tier to either be promoted up to the next tier, AND another vote to send a different character down to the below tier.

Rule 2 purely exists to deal with outliers. Say for example you really think that Villager should be up a tier, but he cant move 5 to the left, chuck in a vote for him to move up. if he gets the most amount of votes, he will go up to the next tier. The opposite applies to send a character downwards.

An example vote looks like this (this is my personal one)

:4miibrawl::4mario::4peach::4villager::4shulk::4greninja::4rob::4megaman:

Villager to B tier
Peach to D tier

Where you can move any character 2 spaces left or right, you can also vote for ONE character in this tier to be promoted into B tier, and another to demote a character into D tier.

So you would also vote [character] up a tier, [character] down a tier. Except for Megaman, he is locked into C tier since he moved up from D.
Greninja needs to move up to A tier and in first. Yoshi, Falcon, and ZSS need to be placed into B tier. I say this due to experience.

:4miibrawl: :4peach: :4mario::4villager: :4shulk: :4rob: (Villager+2, MM/Greninja out)

:4greninja: feels to be high D tier, in-line with Robin/Olimar. He's still good, but I've really not seen any real solid showings for Greninja since his nerfs-- losing the Dair mixups and all that was just a massive hit. That said, he mightn't even move below Robin and co., just be top of D...

:4megaman:Though... holy hell can a good MM be terrifying. To start with, the simple fact that he feels even with or even at an advantage against Diddy... But between all his techs with metal blades and the like, the lemon zoning, the recovery trickery, the solid KO options... I mean, he's not commonly used that much yet, but he's picking up some terrifying momentum. Looks like a dark horse like Luigi was a few months back, so resting in the same tier sounds reasonable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mQboy5ymc

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk75R9yR3iU -First match was awful, next two were good.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
:4peach::4shulk::4miibrawl::4mario::4villagerf::4rob::4megaman::4greninja:

peach to b and greninja to d

this is a tough one because i play three of these characters :/

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
:4mario: :4shulk::4miibrawl: :4peach: :4greninja: :4rob: :4villager: :4megaman:

No one up.

Villager down just to counteract all the votes pressing him up; hes good, but not on par with Fox or Luigi.

+2 Mario
+2 Shulk (Feeling It)
-2 Mii Brawler
-2 Peach
+2 Greninja
-1 R.O.B.
-1 Villager
0 Megaman

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
aMSa was 9th with Greninja at Apex I believe, although agree with you that Greninja is probably around where Robin and Olimar are. The reason I didn't downvote Greninja was because I personally don't think he's worse than Megaman.

Schaggy

Smash Rookie
Original: :4miibrawl: :4peach: :4mario: :4shulk: :4rob: :4villager: :4greninja: :4megaman:

My Vote: :4villager: :4mario: :4peach: :4greninja: :4shulk: :4megaman: :4miibrawl: :4rob:

Villager to B
Mii Brawler to D

No more videos on a certain character making them look better.
Everyone can make a character look good in some context. If you're going to vote, you should not need a video to help your decision right now...

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

You can't move Mega Man up since he just got moved up a tier.

Original:
:4miibrawl::4peach::4mario::4shulk::4rob::4villager::4greninja::4megaman:
My Vote: :4peach::4mario::4miibrawl::4rob::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4greninja:

:4mario:goes up. Thanks for giving Jumpman some much-needed representation, Ally. You made him look GREAT at SF.

:4shulk:goes down. I think he's just not quite good enough for C, but the top of D fits him just fine. He's basically Ike on magic steroids (LOOK AT THEIR MOVES. It's scary how identical some of them are.) so yeah.

I was gonna upvote :4miibrawl: because inb4 :4miibrawl: goes to D tier because nobody sees him represented since it's banned, but I'm happy to only see a couple :4miibrawl: downvotes so far.
...Hopefully I didn't jinx it. I personally think :4miibrawl: belongs right where I was able to put him in the middle of C tier.
(wow there's a lot of fists in this post.)

:4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4falcon::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl::4miibrawl:

Last edited:
Top Bottom