• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Original: :4megaman::4robinf::4olimar::4pit::4wario::4myfriends::4kirby::4tlink::4link::4pacman:
My vote::4megaman::4olimar::4robinf::4kirby::4pit::4tlink::4wario::4pacman::4link:

Mega Man graduates to the next tier
Ike goes down one tier

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
oh man, it looks downhill for Kirby. He isn't only my favourite character, but he is also good D:

i wanna band up a team to all vote a different character down to keep Kirby at least in this tier, since he is doing fine here.
Exactatly!!!!

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Look at any recent posts. We are voting on D tier .
This was an old comment that failed to post a while ago, and since I decided to log into the website today, I figured I may as well post the failed comment. That wasn't until I realized we're voting for D tier now, and until recently I've edited the post to the current voting rules and instructions. If you do not see it, refresh the page.

If you haven't noticed it:

Original:
:4megaman::4robinf::4olimar::4pit::4wario::4myfriends::4kirby::4tlink::4link::4pacman:

Modified:
:4megaman::4olimar::4robinf::4kirby::4wario::4tlink::4pacman::4pit::4link::4myfriends:

Up a tier: :4kirby: (Extremely underrated...)

Down a tier: :4myfriends:

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I think Kirby's extremely overrated to be honest.
Meh, I respect your opinion. But I personally enjoy playing as Kirby because he's unique, not to mention some of his moves are pretty good (my opinion). However, going against those top tier fighters is hell of a match for Kirby. Other than that, Kirby is pretty good. I'd say he's good at defeating heavy weights and close-range fighters.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Meh, I respect your opinion. But I personally enjoy playing as Kirby because he's unique, not to mention some of his moves are pretty good (my opinion). However, going against those top tier fighters is hell of a match for Kirby. Other than that, Kirby is pretty good. I'd say he's good at defeating heavy weights and close-range fighters.
Yeah I mean I'm not talking him down by any means. In fact, voting him down to E is a bit harsh. But as you said, he has a very difficult time going up against high tiers, even as low as B and C (for what's listed as of now). Obviously any character can beat any character but some characters are just so bad vs high tiers, they can't really be placed in the upper tiers.

I've always thought this way about Tiers:

C-Tiers should be able to beat up to A-Tier (while at a disadvantage of course) And have a very tough time with S-Tiers.
B-Tiers should be able to beat S-Tiers at a similar disadvantage as C vs A but is much more even against A tier.
A-Tier is for the people who like to use the best characters but at least have enough dignity to avoid using S-Tiers.

Looking at it that way really helps me when I think about who should be in what Tier. And that's not to say skill plays a role too because it does. But like I said, sometimes the skill isn't enough to compensate a character's ability

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Yeah I mean I'm not talking him down by any means. In fact, voting him down to E is a bit harsh. But as you said, he has a very difficult time going up against high tiers, even as low as B and C (for what's listed as of now). Obviously any character can beat any character but some characters are just so bad vs high tiers, they can't really be placed in the upper tiers.

I've always thought this way about Tiers:

C-Tiers should be able to beat up to A-Tier (while at a disadvantage of course) And have a very tough time with S-Tiers.
B-Tiers should be able to beat S-Tiers at a similar disadvantage as C vs A but is much more even against A tier.
A-Tier is for the people who like to use the best characters but at least have enough dignity to avoid using S-Tiers.

Looking at it that way really helps me when I think about who should be in what Tier. And that's not to say skill plays a role too because it does. But like I said, sometimes the skill isn't enough to compensate a character's ability
I'm not trying to change your vote, but Kirby has an even match-up against Sheik, Rosa, and Ness. 40:60 to Diddy and Mario too. The only characters he has a hard time with are Yoshi and Marth really.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm not trying to change your vote, but Kirby has an even match-up against Sheik, Rosa, and Ness. 40:60 to Diddy and Mario too. The only characters he has a hard time with are Yoshi and Marth really.
Yep, Kirby has more potential than most people realize, especially with customs.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Sheik has an even match? lol

Every Kirby I've fought against has usually been a pretty easy match for me. I use Link though. Rosalina in my opinion doesn't deserve high tier status. I can see Ness actually being a very bad match up for Kirby though. Ness's high air mobility and great hitboxes completely deny Kirby's flight. Not to mention he can PK the hell out of him. I can see Kirby being good against Mario because, frankly, I don't think he's that good.

Who knows though, if you're talking about from you're experience then you may be on to something. But from what I've experienced, Kirby's just not that impressive. But as the above comment said, customs will change the way we look at the tier list.

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
Yep, Kirby has more potential than most people realize, especially with customs.
Kirby has issues with Marth, Mario, Sonic Shiek ZSS Yoshi, Captain Falcon Diddy Rosa etc. All of these characters except Mario and Marth are A Tier. That's 6 of 9 A+ Tier characters. I am by no mean saying that Kirby is bad and should go down. However I firmly believe he should not move I to B and A Tier.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Kirby has issues with Marth, Mario, Sonic Shiek ZSS Yoshi, Captain Falcon Diddy Rosa etc. All of these characters except Mario and Marth are A Tier. That's 6 of 9 A+ Tier characters. I am by no mean saying that Kirby is bad and should go down. However I firmly believe he should not move I to B and A Tier.
Since when do you know all of Kirby match-ups lol. I already said he is 50:50 with Sheik and Rosa, and he DEFINITELY has a good match-up against ZSS and Captain Falcon since Kirby can duck under 3/4 of their moves and obliterate them COMPLETELY (This was when I laughed at how little you know about Kirbs even though we fight almost every day loool). Kirby's hardest match-ups are Yoshi and Marth, with Pikachu not far behind. Diddy and Mario are 40:60, and I don't know the Sonic match-up's stats (but I know it isn't that far, since Kirby actually has 3 moves to stop spin dash plus down-b).

Some other match-ups are Lucario, which isn't that bad for Kirby but not in his favour, Luigi which also isnt that bad, and stuff like that. A rumour going around about Kirby is that he can get camped very easily, which actually isn't true, so match-ups against the Links are not bad either.

EDIT: I wanna explain the Yoshi + Marth just to be clear.

Yoshi can force Kirby to approach by doing some hard camping. Yoshi's n-air is amazingly fast and has a large hitbox, obliterating Kirby's air approaches. Yoshi has one of the best airspeeds (or whatever) in the game too, and Kirby can either go super aggressive and block out all of Kirby's options or defensive and, in a sense, block out all of Kirby's options.

Kirby also struggles with disjointed hitboxes, and Marth has the biggest in the game. All of Marth's aerials are disjointed, meaning Kirby can't go in, and they are also bigger and longer. Marth also has tipper, which kills Kirby easy. Shield break = GG, and counter means Kirby's already bad approach options, if forced to approach, stops most other small options.
Sheik has an even match? lol

Every Kirby I've fought against has usually been a pretty easy match for me. I use Link though. Rosalina in my opinion doesn't deserve high tier status. I can see Ness actually being a very bad match up for Kirby though. Ness's high air mobility and great hitboxes completely deny Kirby's flight. Not to mention he can PK the hell out of him. I can see Kirby being good against Mario because, frankly, I don't think he's that good.

Who knows though, if you're talking about from you're experience then you may be on to something. But from what I've experienced, Kirby's just not that impressive. But as the above comment said, customs will change the way we look at the tier list.
The Kirby/sheik match-up is 50:50 due to Kirby being able to DI easier out of the majority of her combos, being able to duck F-smash and needles, and DI-ing d-throw (basically changing her bread and butter and needing to hard read DI instead of getting a free u-air.

If you're Kirby experience is For Glory I would recommend just not giving input on any character, considering FG is full of bad players mainly, and most Kirbys on there suck (its the truth).

The Ness match-up I thought was a lot in Kirby's favour, actually, but I got flame from the Kirby boards and we all decided 50:50. Kirby (being light) can DI out of F-air walls and D-throw combos, they can't PK thunder camp you when you're above on stage like FD and Smashville, Kirby's good gimping game destroys Ness's recovery etc etc. Ness has tons of moves that kill kirbs earlier, so thats why its 50:50.

The Mario MU is in Mario's favour because Mario and Kirby are both combo heavy, yet Mario's combo game starts better, along with Mario being able to force Kirby to approach him, which Kirby is no good at. Mario also has better air speed and a better spike, along with Kirby being light.

Customs definitely make Kirby a force to be reckoned with, but without customs, he isn't bad at all. He is still good.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm going to ignore most of those, they're common misconceptions...but ZSS!? Really now? Kirby's crouch alone shuts down every viable attack except Side B, which can be seen from a mile away and shielded, and point blank UpB/DAir, both of which can be heavily punished.
The MU totals @ Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti posted are from deep analysis of the characters' options from the Kirby boards, not the opinion of one person.
Kirby is good.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I'm going to ignore most of those, they're common misconceptions...but ZSS!? Really now? Kirby's crouch alone shuts down every viable attack except Side B, which can be seen from a mile away and shielded, and point blank UpB/DAir, both of which can be heavily punished.
The MU totals @Mazdamaxti posted are from deep analysis of the characters' options from the Kirby boards, not the opinion of one person.
Kirby is good.
Fun Fact: Kirby can also duck under all of side-b except for the tip, same with grab I think.

Moves Kirby can duck under: All hits in jab, dash, most of grab, most of side-b, f-tilt, u-tilt, f-smash (and maybe more).

with side-b being readable, it doesn't really count lol. All of these can be severely punished with a D-smash or d-tilt, or maybe an u-smash/f-smash/u-tilt for certain others. Definitely in Kirby's favour.

Last edited:

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
The MU totals @ Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti posted are from deep analysis of the characters' options from the Kirby boards, not the opinion of one person.
Kirby is good.
I play with MaxMaz daily. I am by no means denying Kirby being good. However ZSS down tilt shuts down crouch. Zss has amazing air game much like kirby. However Kirby relys on his air game on stage and off stage. And unless the Kirby player wants to waste a game crouching they have to approach. A dash attack won't do, random smashes won't work and forward air wall isnt great because ZSS has longer Hitboxes. Shorthop Fair/Dair/Hair are very predictable and punishable. Again though I am by no means calling Kirby bad. But Kirby is not a high tier character. I firmly believe Kirby should stay where he is. I voted Kirby up a tier. But the thing is Kirby has a bad matchup against diddy and shiek. This is currently 80% of high level tourney play.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Fun Fact: Kirby can also duck under all of side-b except for the tip, same with grab I think.

Moves Kirby can duck under: All hits in jab, dash, most of grab, most of side-b, f-tilt, u-tilt, f-smash (and maybe more).

with side-b being readable, it doesn't really count lol. All of these can be severely punished with a D-smash or d-tilt, or maybe an u-smash/f-smash/u-tilt for certain others. Definitely in Kirby's favour.
Only certain parts of his crouch animation are caught by grab. If you crouch OoS at ZSS's approach and she grabs, it doesn't matter what range she's at, it will miss.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I play with Max daily. I am by no means denying Kirby being good. However ZSS down tilt shuts down crouch. And once Kirby is in the air its trouble
but d-tilt has starting lag, plus you have to walk up and do it, so its also easily punishable. Kirby completely shuts down ZSS's ground game, which puts ZSS in an unfavorable match-up. Also, this is for a lot of characters, Kirby can DI out of d-throw easier, meaning less followups in the air.

EDIT: I saw you editted yours, so I'll edit mine.

I agree Kirby isn't high tier, no way shape or form, but I'm simply arguing he isn't bad. He has ok match-ups with high tiers (The ZSS and C. Falcon match-ups are in his favour, I know you can't duck in the air but if they can't even get you there, ye. I can explain more on skype if you would like) and the Kirby match-up is still 50:50, no matter how many times you say no :p.

I hate facing Diddy, but a lot of Diddy's go super high for kills, and since Kirby can DI easily, you can get an easy rock kill on a DI'd hoo hah (Did this in tournament, it was hype). He has his bad match-ups, and his good, but some are better than otherz.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I play with Max daily. I am by no means denying Kirby being good. However ZSS down tilt shuts down crouch. And once Kirby is in the air its trouble
There's also a thing called shielding for that. I forgot to mention Dtilt which is her best option, but Kirby actually has it better than a lot of characters when above ZSS.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
:4megaman::4pit::4robinf::4olimar::4kirby::4tlink::4wario::4link::4myfriends::4pacman:
(note that most other characters moved up, resulting in Ike dropping)

Move up: No one really, but if someone has to, Mega Man is the only option.
Move down: Ike. As far as this list goes, Ike is one of the most overrated characters.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I play with MaxMaz daily. I am by no means denying Kirby being good. However ZSS down tilt shuts down crouch. Zss has amazing air game much like kirby. However Kirby relys on his air game on stage and off stage. And unless the Kirby player wants to waste a game crouching they have to approach. A dash attack won't do, random smashes won't work and forward air wall isnt great because ZSS has longer Hitboxes. Shorthop Fair/Dair/Hair are very predictable and punishable. Again though I am by no means calling Kirby bad. But Kirby is not a high tier character. I firmly believe Kirby should stay where he is. I voted Kirby up a tier. But the thing is Kirby has a bad matchup against diddy and shiek. This is currently 80% of high level tourney play.
Now that I can agree with. I do think Kirby should stay right where he is; mid-tier. I had thought you were trying to say he should go to E, which, in my opinion, is too low. Kirby has a great ground game and air game, solid combos and recovery, but he's still a bit slow and despite having good reach it isn't disjointed. Like Jigglypuff, Kirby's a solid mid-tier character, and while they can handle high-tiers, they don't get any distinctly good matchups.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Like I said, if anyone deserves to go up a tier Its Link. I mean he's currently #11 on Event Hubs for crying out loud. Not saying it's any more valid but that obviously says something.

There's no valid reasoning why Kirby should go down a tier though. He's not horrible.

I actually don't think anyone in D tier should drop.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Like I said, if anyone deserves to go up a tier Its Link. I mean he's currently #11 on Event Hubs for crying out loud. Not saying it's any more valid but that obviously says something.

There's no valid reasoning why Kirby should go down a tier though. He's not horrible.

I actually don't think anyone in D tier should drop.
eventhubs should never be used in an argument.

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
but d-tilt has starting lag, plus you have to walk up and do it, so its also easily punishable. Kirby completely shuts down ZSS's ground game, which puts ZSS in an unfavorable match-up. Also, this is for a lot of characters, Kirby can DI out of d-throw easier, meaning less followups in the air.

EDIT: I saw you editted yours, so I'll edit mine.

I agree Kirby isn't high tier, no way shape or form, but I'm simply arguing he isn't bad. He has ok match-ups with high tiers (The ZSS and C. Falcon match-ups are in his favour, I know you can't duck in the air but if they can't even get you there, ye. I can explain more on skype if you would like) and the Kirby match-up is still 50:50, no matter how many times you say no :p.

I hate facing Diddy, but a lot of Diddy's go super high for kills, and since Kirby can DI easily, you can get an easy rock kill on a DI'd hoo hah (Did this in tournament, it was hype). He has his bad match-ups, and his good, but some are better than otherz.
When did you play a diddy in r2f? The only diddys is cankid and Froggy and you didnt play either of them

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
only have a small input here but the pac-ster (yeah I called him that deal with it ) should be +1 he hits surprisingly hard his smash attacks are effective killing moves and he has a very well recovery he is a very decent fighter similar to Mario he is just a well rounded fighter

Top Bottom