• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So relevancy plays a big part?
Well with the DLC so far,
:4mewtwo:- new pokemon games + HUGE fan demand
:4lucas:- Earthboud beginnings + HUGE fan demand
:4feroy:-Fire Emblem Fates + Huge fan demand
:4ryu:-SFV
:4cloud:-FF7R
Splatoon came out this year and is insanely popular
Star Fox Zero was supposed to come out in November, but was delayed at the last minute until April, but its the next big release for Nintendo so relevancy.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So its not coming to an end soon...
Star Fox Zero was supposed to come out in November, but was delayed at the last minute until April, but its the next big release for Nintendo so relevancy.
It is coming to an end soon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I wonder how this plays for a RH character, Xenoblade X, and Fates character's chances. I'd like to see them in as DLC.
This is also indirect confirmation that this is most definitely not a "Voting Contest". I'm looking at you GameXplain.

There is not a "Ballot Winner". If this is the last wave of DLC, there's no way they finished a character in 2 months. They probably started work around June or July.

There's characters that might be included based on the ballot. But total tally of votes is not a factor.
Where did you conclude that from?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
never played so I cant give an opinion. But good job anyway
It's a great game, though unfortunately I didnt get the chance to finish it, my external HD fell and got unplugged during use. I barely got it to work long enough to transfer over some games and saves to my new HD, but a few couldnt be salvaged. Child of Light was among those lost. [salutes]

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
So...........this truly is gonna be almost the end of DLC as a definite according to the interview. Okay, whatever they throw at us, I will take it. I so can't wait. Cloud was enough for me. And this is coming from someone who loves Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
>Relevancy matters
>Xenoblade X came out this year
>:colorful:

I'm not holding out for anything tho
And then he spoils literally everything with trophy descriptions.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
- Halo 5: Guardians

You know what that means.:estatic:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If relevancy plays a big role in DLC... and it's ending soon...

Then Tuesday is not going to be a pretty day...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I wonder how this plays for a RH character, Xenoblade X, and Fates character's chances. I'd like to see them in as DLC.

Where did you conclude that from?
These youtubers imply that whoever got the most votes is in the game.

I think they just looked at maybe the top 15 suggested characters and picked from them ones that they had good ideas for.

Even though the ballot ended in October, if they already had solid results by June then they could have began development then to have it out this week, thus ending Smash DLC.

If they only began work once the ballot was finished, we wouldn't see the DLC until March-April.

Shroob

Sup?
These youtubers imply that whoever got the most votes is in the game.

I think they just looked at maybe the top 15 suggested characters and picked from them ones that they had good ideas for.

Even though the ballot ended in October, if they already had solid results by June then they could have began development then to have it out this week, thus ending Smash DLC.

If they only began work once the ballot was finished, we wouldn't see the DLC until March-April.
Question as to what Mario slot you think the Ballot character(S) is? Or do you believe that both/neither of them are?

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Golden Sun really was released at the worst possible time.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Question as to what Mario slot you think the Ballot character(S) is? Or do you believe that both/neither of them are?
I don't think one has to be Mario related.

If there was one I'd like to see Captain Toad but I don't see another Mario character as likely. Who knows?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, not really. Punch-Out!! for the Wii was released a year earlier than Dark Dawn, if I remember correctly, though that may be more so attributed to Little Mac and Punch-Out!!'s long-lasting legacy than just recency.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai doesn't have some vendetta against Pokemon...I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
I have a different view on the matter than most; but this is quite a simplistic paraphrasing of more specific points I not only mentioned, but alluded to further discretion between. Please don't allocate wording to my choice statements.

Seriously. 6 characters(2nd most represented series character-wise) and a huge support item which adds even more representatives.... What else could you ask for?
I could ask for it to be given even the slightest amount of consideration other franchises are given, particularly from the fan base.
Importance to the cut veterans, a playable protagonist, characters based on more than a drawing, something beyond flavor of the month popularity additions, unique mechanisms of the universe to be incorporated.

You know, these minor things by which literally *every* single other franchise abides.
I guess I'd add in not getting patronized for asking it to be treated even with a modicum of the same treatment, but that is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think one has to be Mario related.

If there was one I'd like to see Captain Toad but I don't see another Mario character as likely. Who knows?
You realize by 'Mario slots' I refer to the placeholder slots being called "Mario", not being them from the Mario series, right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a different view on the matter than most; but this is quite a simplistic paraphrasing of more specific points I not only mentioned, but alluded to further discretion between. Please don't allocate wording to my choice statements.
Care to elaborate then? This is the first time I've heard anyone allude to anything like this, so I'm curious.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sakurai: I was playing the first one when I started working, so that would mean it’s been a quarter-century since I joined the game industry. The amount of work is pretty harsh… Recently, my vision has been getting worse as well…anyhow, leaving that aside (laughs).
Sakurai-san......Many people say, "Get a job." Someone needs to tell this man to get a vacation. That being said, I guess that could be him getting older. finally. But really, it doesn't exactly help that every few months we keep hearing about him having problems.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You realize by 'Mario slots' I refer to the placeholder slots being called "Mario", not being them from the Mario series, right?
Oh... pshhhh. Yeah. I totally knew that.

I think that those placeholders are for characters somewhat influenced by the ballot.

I think K. Rool's costume was only included because of the ballot as well. Almost as a "This is the best your gonna get" type of thing.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So FE:A was released at the right time with Sakurai mind fully in FE mode during the beginning of Smash development

sucks W101 was to late

Shroob

Sup?
Oh... pshhhh. Yeah. I totally knew that.

I think that those placeholders are for characters somewhat influenced by the ballot.

I think K. Rool's costume was only included because of the ballot as well. Almost as a "This is the best your gonna get" type of thing.
Define 'somewhat influenced'. Are you implying like, a Mewtwo level reveal of a character without a placeholder spot?

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So relevancy is a factor. Good to see a full confirmation on this by Sakurai. I can see this as a hit to the likes of King K. Rool and Issac, but I'll give them a slight bit of hope.

At this point, I don't even know who to predict anymore. There's a small list of characters I can think of at the moment that fit this rule.

• Inkling
  • Paper Mario
  • Captain Toad
  • Chibi Robo
  • Bandana Dee
  • Code Name S.T.E.A.M character (Henry Fleming is who I remember)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X character (Elma)
  • Wolf
Even then, some of these choices run into problems and this also doesn't consider the few other 3rd Parties that could make it in.

Sakurai, you're making this speculation easier as well as more hard. I need to see what's in that presentation!

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So relevancy is a factor. Good to see a full confirmation on this by Sakurai. I can see this as a hit to the likes of King K. Rool and Issac, but I'll give them a slight bit of hope.

At this point, I don't even know who to predict anymore. There's a small list of characters I can think of at the moment that fit this rule.

• Inkling
  • Paper Mario
  • Captain Toad
  • Chibi Robo
  • Bandana Dee
  • Project S.T.E.A.M character (Henry Fleming is who I remember)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X character (Elma)
  • Wolf
Even then, some of these choices run into problems and this also doesn't consider the few other 3rd Parties that could make it in.

Sakurai, you're making this speculation easier as well as more hard. I need to see what's in that presentation!
Project S.T.E.A.M. ? What the **** is that?:awesome:
You better run, because I know an Opossum who's going to be steaming mad when he sees that.:demon:

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Rhythm Heaven plus was released in japan this year but i guess no western release means it doesn't count

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Define 'somewhat influenced'. Are you implying like, a Mewtwo level reveal of a character without a placeholder spot?
I think that those spots are Ballot character spots. I don't know what I need to say more. Unless there's something I'm missing about these placeholders.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The funny part about the whole thing is that even if they don't get in this game, the Inklings are such a lock for Smash that no one should worry about them missing the next game whenever that comes. Seriously, the franchise is getting much positive praise and likely to get a sequel in the future. Combine that with an interesting moveset and it's just a waiting game at this point.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Care to elaborate then? This is the first time I've heard anyone allude to anything like this, so I'm curious.
Not particularly. If you want to PM me about it, Id be happy to discuss, but it is a very heated topic for me, in which my overall tone somehow gets me infractions despite the entire room often lashing out.
In short... moderators don't like it when iI respond to Pokemon, and this has lead me down the conclusion that it just isnt a topic that can be assessed accurately on this forum, such as Ridley. The assumption is that pokemon is 'just fine as is," and I do not think it is a conversation that can be breeched on these boards, just like Ridley, because when challenged accurately it is met with legislation. Im aware that I sound a bit defensive and that I am generalizing, its just that I have not found wording that truly gasps the plight of the series, and there is generally not another who wants to even agree that when people on the boards say "bring back the vets," somehow this tends to never mean the Pokemon. Its the one conversation that when brought up, I feel like I must be delusional, because this site just blatantly disregards facts for opinion when it comes to Pokemon, and the consensus with the opinion is that Pokemon is fine as it is.

Chrono.

Aight, time to fruitlessly hope for Elma to turn up in that Direct.

Because I didn't have enough pipedreams

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I covered this once before.

Since Brawl, there was a certain timeframe during the pre development of Smash games where Sakurai can use ideas for the next fighters outside of the retro characters and third party, those characters had a game during that timeframe.

• Brawl: 2002 - 2006 (:wario:Wario Land/Ware, :diddy:Barrel Blast/King of Swing, :olimar:Pikmin 1&2, :pt:Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, :ike:Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, :toonlink:Wind Waker/Minish Cap/Four Swords Adventures, :lucario:Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, :zerosuitsamus: Metroid Zero Mission, :lucas:Mother 3, :wolf:Star Fox Assault.)
  • Smash 3DS/WiiU 2009 - 2012 (in :4greninja: case, 2013) (:rosalina: Super Mario Galaxy 2, :4bowserjr:Super Mario Galaxy 2/New Super Mario Bros. Wii/2/U, :4wiifit: Wii Fit Plus, :4villager: Animal Crossing New Leaf, :4littlemac:Punch Out Wii, :4palutena::4darkpit:Kid Icarus Uprising, :4shulk:Xenoblade Chronicles (released in Japan in 2010, other regions 2012) and :4robinm::4lucina:Fire Emblem Awakening)

Sakurai usually goes by that in most cases, it hurts but it's the truth and there's that harsh sour spot which can hurt a franchise tremendously. (Wonderful 101 got hit the worst by this)

It was released in both of the time frames I stated, what happen was Brawl was kinda of a screwed up moment but Smash 4 was hurt due to how Dark Dawn was received.

Advance Wars had the same thing happen to it except it's latest game was released right around that dead zone part with Days of Ruin hitting 2008, which was right after Brawl and no Japan released helped either

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone notice Yoda keeps saying things like "Size doesn't matter" when lifting heavy things with the force

But has trouble lifting heavier things

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Rainbow Curse was released in January, I hope Sakurai considers that relevant.

Hmm... maybe Jibanyan has a chance?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I know this is a pointless nitpick, but anyone hoping the DLC gives us at least one female character?

Inklings or Dixie plz.

It's not an important thing by any means, just noticed that they crammed a **** ton of ladies into this game, and yet none of the DLC is female.... Granted, there aren't THAT many ladies they left out aside from the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys.

You're hyping stuff up that we knew about for a year.

How starved are you?

Regardless, the question was never whether relevancy was a factor. It was, how relevant is relevant? And will it prevent characters from getting in if they have several other benefits.

Sakurai's definition seems a tad odd. He was that stingy with a potential Awakening character but allowed Little Mac who was notable in the post Brawl period but not recently?

I gonna stay with my Post Brawl is Relevent stance.

That would mean Little Mac (2009) and Shulk (2010) fit the bill just fine instead of being outliers.

That would mean that if we assume it's a straight up requirement, K.Rool is doomed but Isaac is still relevent, which would explain why Golden Sun got new content.

I dunno, this whole thing is really relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom