• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul.

Is there a "same Pokémon type" fan rule? I've been thinking about this for a while lol

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Well? What RPG was it?

You know damn well you can't leave us hanging!
XD, you're right.

Child of Light.

I couldnt get her to do hard mode, but she's pretty into it, she's been playing for hours and didnt realize it was going on one o'clock in the morning.

She's was originally annoyed by the constant rhyming, but she quickly got over that. I had to give her a few pointers but she's holding her own. As soon as she went into a well she started trying to set up some lightning skills. I've taught her well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ballot votes?
1 Ice Climbers vote on my phone because of loyalty.
1 Inkling vote on my mom's computer because they're cool.
5 Henry Fleming votes on my brother's computer, iPad, and phone (because **** it he's not voting :p), as well as on my mom's phone and my old iPad.
1 Muddy Mole vote on my friend's laptop.

And roughly thirty Chrom votes across thirty different computers in different buildings back on campus, because I had a day off to do whatever the hell I wanted. Commitment. Going down with the ship.

Characters I want that are un(der)loved by the speculation community?

Chrom
Henry Fleming
Muddy Mole
Starfy
Maxwell
Lara Croft

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Sakurai: For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.
And there it is everyone. Relevancy is most definitely a factor. For retro characters, it's a different kind of thing, but for current series... it is very much a huge factor.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Ray 01 - Custom Robo - He has always been one of my biggest requests since Brawl. While nowadays I use Ray to specify all of the Ray models, if I was allowed to choose which model, it'd be the one I've always supported.
Saki - Sin & Punishment - Sure he's an Assist Trophy, but after playing the Sin & Punishment games, he should get a spot. Not to mention he has a laser gunblade. And a jetpack or something similar. And another special ability.
Captain Syrup - Wario Land - She's a Pirate. And comes from a great series. Nuff' said.
Samurai Goroh - F-Zero - Another assist trophy that I would like to be a character. Plus, I think he'd be more interesting than Black Shadow with Ganondorf's moveset. Plus, who wouldn't want a swordfighter that isn't as noble, honorable, etc as the other swordfighters?
Tamagon - Devil World - One of the few characters that you can actually say, "Look, no hands!" after you beat your opponent. That being said, he's pretty unique design-wise.
Dark Matter - Kirby - Always liked this character, whether it'd be his swordsman form, in his eyeball form or in the form of Zero. Not to mention he's one of the few recurring main Kirby villains. That being said, I definitely want to see him in his swordsman form with elements of his other forms in some of his specials and Final Smash.
Giygas - Mother/Earthbound - Another not-so-popular villain, with Porky or other characters being more popular. Sure, he's often seen as the big red blob of evil most of the time, but he does have a normal form in Earthbound Beginnings. Not to mention his inclusion would have all of the Mother games represented, with Ness representing Mother 2, Lucas with Mother 3 and Normal Form Giygas with Mother 1.
Corrin - Fire Emblem:troll: - "Screech! Screech!" Okay, Fire Emblem over-representing aside, I would like a Fire Emblem character that is also a dragon. Or at least uses their dragon form. Dragons have a huge history with Fire Emblem and after Robin's Magic and weapon-breaking references, I would like to see a dragon get in. I'd also be fine with Tiki, but Corrin can actually manifest his/her dragon parts without fully transforming and even attack with them, allowing him/her great moveset potential. Also, Shipping Lords unite! That being said, I'm fine with the amount of Fire Emblem characters we have now, and I already love using Robin alot, so I'm not too worried about Corrin right now. But still, I would like to see a dragon from Fire Emblem appear in Smash.
As a fellow Ray supporter (he's in my top 5) I salute you.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I hate to say I've told you so... (about relevancy being an important factor)

But I told you so.

XD, you're right.

Child of Light.

I couldnt get her to do hard mode, but she's pretty into it, she's been playing for hours and didnt realize it was going on one o'clock in the morning.

She's was originally annoyed by the constant rhyming, but she quickly got over that. I had to give her a few pointers but she's holding her own. As soon as she went into a well she started trying to set up some lightning skills. I've taught her well.
never played so I cant give an opinion. But good job anyway

Actually, at the time, Roy’s name was “Ike.” It was eventually changed to “Roy” later, but he even remembered a minor detail like that.
Roy confirmed an Ike clone. . .

err maybe Ike is a Roy clone

also Marth considered for 64. Now that would have changed a lot for the FE series.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

But I told you so.
How many times was this debated here that ti wasn't? I only vaguely remember debates on it. But that is definitely interesting! Thanks for the translation!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Thank god Xenoblade was released in just the right timeframe.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

But I told you so.
B-But my Banjo's!!!!!!!!

For real though, people thought relevancy wasn't important?

I mean, if a character has everything but relevancy, they'll still likely get in, such as K. Rool, though.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

But I told you so.
Have to tag along with you on this.

I. Told. You. So.

I would get so much hate from K. Rool fans for saying Dixie has a better chance due to relevancy. I'm talking PMs almost weekly telling me how wrong I was and citing R.O.B as an example or something.

I love K. Rool. But relevancy is most definitely a huge factor in already existing series. No denying it now.

For retro characters who represent their own "thing"... it's completely different. They even packed them together in a 3-Pack. They represent something else entirely.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So... the 1000/10 hype thing was muh relevancy?
Everybody knows relevancy is important except for biased K.Rool, Isaac and Banjo supporters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Playable fighters in Smash are influenced by the “trends of the time”

Whoa! This is a very important statement! With this, I am calling inklings for sure now! Very interesting stuff!
And there it is everyone. Relevancy is most definitely a factor. For retro characters, it's a different kind of thing, but for current series... it is very much a huge factor.
R.I.P. Zael's chances then.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So... the 1000/10 hype thing was muh relevancy?
Everybody knows relevancy is important except for biased K.Rool, Isaac and Banjo supporters.
No, it's the comment that DLC is 100% ending soon.

Some people had false hope that DLC will continue via Nintendo Directs even though this is the "Final Smash Broadcast".

Also relevancy matters. A lot of people already knew about that. Getting it straight from Sakurai's mouth is nice though.

So now give us Dixie Inklings and Paper Mario

all relevant :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So what does this mean for the ballot now? Does it count out Banjo, K rool, issac and more? If so then the broadcast with have interesting results...

Shroob

Sup?
Surprised no one has brought up Wolf. Sure he's a veteran, but what about Star Fox Zero? The game's not out yet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If anything, that article just furthers my belief that, at the very least, we're getting Inkling DLC. They check all the boxes, so to speak.

Also the whole "Marth in 64" thing is really interesting. We finally know a 16th planned character, after the twelve that made it, plus Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
User was warned for this post
Here is my play by play:

1) Fire Emblem content. Great. More things to hate. Not just that, we have two freaking statements on Pokemon in 15 years, and yet, Fire Emblem. God **** this series.

2) Ooo, Marth in 64? New entry to that list.

3) All four characters (hidden) reuse assets? What does Ness reuse???

4) Is Roy given a different outfit/abilities in Melee than in his debut Emblem?

5) Heh; So Roy isnt even a representation of himself, according to Sakurai. So the character is actually completely useless and is fully, only, just a Smash character. Hoo-hah.

6) Sakurai... does not view Roy as a clone. Okay. Well, that's his call. I just don't agree. Glad he thinks he did a well enough job bringing a clone veteran back... for appeal... who was released in Melee before his own game... which has 3rd most number of characters in Sm4sh...and never was a proper version of himself...only to not make the character any of those things, including a clone veteran. This point pretty much break logic, that Sakurai needs to make sense, because Roy just doesnt, and never will, and for a Nintendo fan Sakurai seems to hate everything I love in Nintendo and love the few things I cannot even bother to play past the intro in regard to personal satisfaction. *Im aware I'm whining*

7) Counter attacks... just represent a turn-based RPG? ...Either this translation is pretty poor (no offense guys, I think its this next thing)-- or Sakurai really just doesnt.give.a.****. Artistic liberties are always at the helm, and this just cements any ounce of thinking otherwise. (It does, however, suggest 'MECHANICS of the universe from which the characters come, is the most important aspect, as Ive repeatedly argued).

8) Sakurai mentions Pokemon. Cavalier. Couldnt sound more detached from the character, not that 'character based solely on a design' shouldnt infuriate any actual fan. Oh well. Pokemon disrespect again.

9) Gotta love that these timeless games can be given such a fixed date of character. Obviously, recency is the only important factor, if that is the reason we have so many Fire Emblem characters. (Though, there is actually no reason at this point that in a theoretical Sakurai Smash 5, Fire Emblem wouldnt receive as many cuts as Pokemon does).

10) I hate Fire Emblem. Glory jesus this series just cannot score a win for me.

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Huh, interesting read...thanks PushDustIn PushDustIn for that!
I gotta say, I think this strongly improves Inklings' chances....
...maybe also Paper Mario's? :p

Chrono.

>Relevancy matters
>Xenoblade X came out this year
>:colorful:

I'm not holding out for anything tho

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
This is also indirect confirmation that this is most definitely not a "Voting Contest". I'm looking at you GameXplain.

There is not a "Ballot Winner". If this is the last wave of DLC, there's no way they finished a character in 2 months. They probably started work around June or July.

There's characters that might be included based on the ballot. But total tally of votes is not a factor.

Last edited:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
No, it's the comment that DLC is 100% ending soon.

Some people had false hope that DLC will continue via Nintendo Directs even though this is the "Final Smash Broadcast".
Out of interest Push, when did the Sakurai/FE interview take place (so we can put the 'ending soon' comment into temporal context)?

Also someone had too much salt in their diet after reading it seems :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here is my play by play:

1) Fire Emblem content. Great. More things to hate. Not just that, we have two freaking statements on Pokemon in 15 years, and yet, Fire Emblem. God **** this series.

2) Ooo, Marth in 64? New entry to that list.

3) All four characters (hidden) reuse assets? What does Ness reuse???

4) Is Roy given a different outfit/abilities in Melee than in his debut Emblem?

5) Heh; So Roy isnt even a representation of himself, according to Sakurai. So the character is actually completely useless and is fully, only, just a Smash character. Hoo-hah.

6) Sakurai... does not view Roy as a clone. Okay. Well, that's his call. I just don't agree. Glad he thinks he did a well enough job bringing a clone veteran back... for appeal... who was released in Melee before his own game... which has 3rd most number of characters in Sm4sh...and never was a proper version of himself...only to not make the character any of those things, including a clone veteran. This point pretty much break logic, that Sakurai needs to make sense, because Roy just doesnt, and never will, and for a Nintendo fan Sakurai seems to hate everything I love in Nintendo and love the few things I cannot even bother to play past the intro in regard to personal satisfaction. *CENSOR DODGE*

7) Counter attacks... just represent a turn-based RPG? ...Either this translation is pretty poor (no offense guys, I think its this next thing)-- or Sakurai really just doesnt.give.a.****. Artistic liberties are always at the helm, and this just cements any ounce of thinking otherwise. (It does, however, suggest 'MECHANICS of the universe from which the characters come, is the most important aspect, as Ive repeatedly argued).

8) Sakurai mentions Pokemon. Cavalier. Couldnt sound more detached from the character, not that 'character based solely on a design' shouldnt infuriate any actual fan. Oh well. Pokemon disrespect again.

9) Gotta love that these timeless games can be given such a fixed date of character. Obviously, recency is the only important factor, if that is the reason we have so many Fire Emblem characters. (Though, there is actually no reason at this point that in a theoretical Sakurai Smash 5, Fire Emblem wouldnt receive as many cuts as Pokemon does).

10) I hate Fire Emblem. Glory jesus this series just cannot score a win for me.
Sakurai doesn't have some vendetta against Pokemon...I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai doesn't have some vendetta against Pokemon...I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
Seriously. 6 characters(2nd most represented series character-wise) and a huge support item which adds even more representatives.... What else could you ask for?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sakurai: When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him. So, in comparison to Marth, whose sword is stronger at the tip, I made Roy’s sword stronger near the hilt, which I felt made them feel very different. But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!
Interviewer: (laughs)
Sakurai: In terms of personality, he’s mostly the same as Marth. But in Melee, Roy is expressed as a very strong character because that’s how I envisioned him during the development phase. I just want to make it clear his representation in Melee is not because I didn’t understand his character (laughs).
Well that certainly explains why his FE fanbase is so mixed. Roy in Smash is actually rather different from his FE incarnation. I wonder if in a possible FF6-remake scenario if IS might take notes from Roy in Smash and add from Smash to his FE incarnation. I mean, after Smash 4, I wouldn't be surprised if in a FE6 remake, Roy has moments of attacking reverse-handed and etc.

Still, pretty interesting read. And not surprised to see salty comments coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom