• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I talked about this in the Poke Center Social, but I think Mega Slaking would be so OP. I mean, look at Slaking's normal stats.

Truant holds him back, but I'd imagine like even if Mega Slaking had Truant, just the sheer wrecking power he'd have would be ridiculous and worth the risk.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so random aside but if tetra gets into smash i want her side b to be her runining into the opponent and doing that "run up the opponent and kick off of them" thing she did to ganon

also if theres any type of pokemon i want its steel/dragon version of tyranitar
because obvious refrence is obvious

Chrono.

So Fallout 4 is getting glowing reviews... except most of these mention how there's "save data issues, frameskipping, severe and constant framerate drops and you'll fall through the floor a lot".

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Have fun!
Kind of spammy there Blue but I know you mean well, though I'd avoid the image responses in the future :p

It is fun though, but I do wish I had more control in battles. The world is amazingly charming though, I'm enjoying myself so far.

Khoru

Smash Champion
So Fallout 4 is getting glowing reviews... except most of these mention how there's "save data issues, frameskipping, severe and constant framerate drops and you'll fall through the floor a lot".
i mean it's bethesda so

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I talked about this in the Poke Center Social, but I think Mega Slaking would be so OP. I mean, look at Slaking's normal stats.

Truant holds him back, but I'd imagine like even if Mega Slaking had Truant, just the sheer wrecking power he'd have would be ridiculous and worth the risk.
Mega Slaking;
Change no stats at all
Give him Huge Power

It's so stupid it just might work

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So... Some discussions I missed:
- Yoshi's Island series' treatment in Smash
- Bad voice acting in games

Okay, some of my thoughts without necessarily bringing back dead arguments.

What is considered as the Yoshi series in Smash is a bit odd, when you have elements that could be classified as part of both the Mario and Yoshi series at once. Instead of arguing about a potential newcomer for the Yoshi series, I'll be doing a short analysis.

Smash 64 had little content, with Yoshi and the Yoshi's Island stage (inspired by Yoshi's Story) as being classified as part of the Yoshi series. Keep in mind that in 1999, aside from spin-offs, Yoshi hadn't been in a major Mario title for a while. Sakurai must have thought that the series would branch out similar to DK though it never did.

Melee adds two Yoshi stages and some trophies. The stages are from Super Mario World and Yoshi's Story. Going by the order of series, the theme song for Yoshi's Island is classified as a Yoshi series song, as it's between Metroid and Kirby. The order follows their debut: Mario, DK, (1980) Zelda, Metroid, (1986) Yoshi (1990), Kirby (1991), Star Fox (1993-1994?) and Pokémon (1995).

The alternate song for Yoshi's Island is considered part of the Mario series, being the first song to appear among the alternate ones (in the sound test's ordering), those songs following the series order I mentioned above.

Yoshi trophies (besides Yoshi's fighter trophies): Shy Guys (using their design from Yoshi's Story), Pak E. Derm, Baby Mario, Baby Bowser and Raphael Raven. Mind the year of Melee's release: 2001. Most of these trophies were characters exclusive to Yoshi games back then, with the sole exception of Shy Guys. Even so, Shy Guys hadn't been in many Mario games back then, sticking primarily to the Yoshi series, plus they were using a design from Yoshi's Story.

Brawl adds a Yoshi stage based on the first Yoshi's Island game and Yoshi's Island DS, taking inspiration from those games' art style. Yoshi's Island from Melee returns and still classified as a Yoshi series stage, even though all other content from Super Mario World, notably music, is classified as part of the Mario universe, bearing the Mushroom symbol.

Yoshi series trophies include Yoshi's fighter trophies, Baby Mario and Baby Peach. Shy Guy is now a Mario series trophy, using the 3D design from modern Mario games and spin-offs. Brawl has notably less Yoshi series trophies than Melee, with the removal of many elements from Yoshi's Story. Stickers still feature some official artwork of Yoshi series exclusive content, such as Yoshi's transformations, the Stork and enemies like Raphael Raven or Goonies. In addition, the sticker depicting official art of Yoshi from Mario Party 2 is included as part of the Yoshi series.

The 3DS and Wii U games barely feature any Yoshi series trophies. Baby Mario and Baby Peach now appear as Mario series trophies. The only non-fighter trophies are 3DS exclusive, those being the Fly Guy (regular Shy Guys are Mario trophies) and Yoshi's New Island (featuring Yoshi and Baby Mario as they appear in that game).

On the Wii U version of the game, the Woolly World stage is added as part of its stage line-up. The two Yoshi stages featured in Brawl return, split across versions: Yoshi's Island from Brawl is on the 3DS version and Yoshi's Island from Melee is on the Wii U version.

Here comes the interesting part: the Yoshi's Island stage theme from Melee is now classified as part of the Mario series, despite being the main song from a stage classified as part of the Yoshi series. All other Super Mario World content is considered part of the Mario series. This means that Melee Yoshi's Island's music selection is all considered as part of the Mario series, with the exception of the Yoshi's Story song remix from the first Smash Bros. game. The rest of the Yoshi series songs are in Woolly World, including songs from Brawl and the Melee remix of the Yoshi's Story theme. Still, the stage features some Mario songs such as the Paper Mario Medley.

Smash 3DS/Wii U also has Yoshi placed between Bowser and Rosalina, two Mario series characters, in the character selection screen.

It seems to me that the Yoshi symbol is now used to denote content strictly exclusive to the Yoshi series and Yoshi himself, the sole exception being the Super Mario World stage (which itself is named after Yoshi and went to the main setting of the Yoshi games, so that might be the reason). Many elements first classified as part of the Yoshi series are classified as part of the Mario universe in the latest Smash Bros. game, which could be reflecting those elements appearing more often in main Mario series, unlike during Melee's time of release where they were more prominent in the Yoshi games.

The DK and Wario series still have a lot of distinct content, certainly more so than Yoshi. Even so, the trophies for DK and Wario in their karts appear as part of Mario series. Similarly, stickers in Brawl pertaining to DK and Wario in Mario sports games are also classified as part of the Mario series, acknowledging in a way that those series are certainly part of the same greater universe.

Basically, the DK, Yoshi and Wario series tend to be used in Smash to denote content exclusive to their own series, in addition to the characters themselves. Likewise, the same character can be part of two different series depending on the context of the content: Shy Guy's trophy in Melee depicts their appearance in Yoshi's Story, so it's part of the Yoshi series. Likewise, Donkey Kong and Wario's trophies as they appear in Mario Kart (driving their karts) are counted as part of the Mario universe.

Still, there are some exceptions, such as Yoshi's Mario Party 2 and Wario's Super Mario 64 DS stickers in Brawl being classified as part of the Yoshi and Wario series. Sheesh, even Smash Bros. has trouble classifying the different series.

Goes to show how thin the line separating these four series are, given they share so many common elements and spun-off from the same series.

In regards to bad voice acting in games, it's pretty much a given in older games considering it was a new thing and companies didn't have enough money to hire good voice actors, which were also fewer back then, being limited to animated features. Japan was a different case, and no wonder why some people are still stuck in the mindset that Japanese dubs > English dubs for every Japanese video game, citing decade-old examples (like the infamous Mega Man X series games and Chaos Wars).

As I've mentioned many times before, Japanese has a much bigger voice acting market with their large-scale anime production. When voice acting became a thing for video games, there was already a favorable environment for gaming voice overs. There were more professional VAs and the fact there's a bigger competition over there in regards to VAing leads to more experienced and polished voice acting skills.

This said, I think the English voice over marketing has been increasing, especially with the more elevated production of games by Western studios. Still, I think it still has a way to go before reaching the same level of impact as Japanese VAing, but it's getting there: many video game fanbases are getting acquainted with voice actors' names: actors such as David Hayter, Troy Baker or Nolan North are particularly well-known. Still, I think there's a much bigger lack of acknowledgement of VAs compared to Japan, where almost every anime and video game trailer feature the VAs' names not unlike movie trailers here in the West.

Give it a few years and I think voice acting in games will become more regarded than it is nowadays. It's the current tendency, I believe.

(I guess I am in the mood for long posts?)

That doesn't make it a good game... :ohwell:

Those are serious issues in regards to software quality.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
That's Bethesda for you. They ship games with a lot of great ideas but they're half-finished from a technical standpoint but everyone gives them a free pass because muh immersion.

D

Deleted member

Still not a valid excuse though.

Idk why they, of all companies, get a free pass for this.
I don't think she was trying to justify it and rather explain why it's like that
I mean, what did you expect from them?

Last edited by a moderator:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Um.

We shouldn't expect Bethesda to publish games that aren't running properly. They're a multimillion dollar company that's existed for decades. Just because Bethesda is known to have bugs in their game doesn't mean we're supposed to have an expectation of them to do it and accept it. That's a really unhealthy mentality.

D

Deleted member

Um.

We shouldn't expect Bethesda to publish games that aren't running properly. They're a multimillion dollar company that's existed for decades. Just because Bethesda is known to have bugs in their game doesn't mean we're supposed to have an expectation of them to do it and accept it. That's a really unhealthy mentality.
No one is saying we should accept it
Just to not be surprised when it happens

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't have any ties or never played a Bethesda game in my life.
Never like TES not Fallout.

Only game I've played from them is Evil Within which was fun but was too much like RE4 and Shinji Mikami knows better and knows he can do better than that

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No one is saying we should accept it
Just to not be surprised when it happens
That's still a problem.
The general response to a broken game should be the same no matter who makes it.

It shouldn't be "oh, that Bethesda!"
It should be "Bethesda, fix your ****!"

If people didn't sweep it under the rug they might not have a reputation for releasing glitchy games because they'd be forced to stop doing it.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The new mentality of "release it buggy, fix it later" in AAA games that's been popping up for the last year or so needs to die in general.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The new mentality of "release it buggy, fix it later" in AAA games that's been popping up for the last year or so needs to die in general.
And judging by what happened to the PC version of Arkham Knight and every version of Assassin's Creed Unity, it might never be fixed.

Holy Hell, what is the gaming world coming to? Especially considering that freaking Call of Duty releases games that aren't even unfinished but other companies can.

Chrono.

I don't think she was trying to justify it and rather explain why it's like that
I mean, what did you expect from them?
Yeah I know (wasn't meant to be a shot at her, so I apologize if it came off like that)

It's just me being annoyed at these people for intentionally releasing buggy games over and over and over.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This trend of releasing buggy games to the market is going to hurt the companies in the long term.

Goes to show how much whoever runs those companies they (don't) know about the importance of quality assurance and consumer's trust.

Of course, the whole hype culture the video game fanbase/industry tends to have ends up being an incentive for this kind of practices. Why bother delaying and polishing a game, when the hyped masses go buy the game regardless of quality?

They make money anyway and have less investment at once, so no wonder the executives like it. Of course, like I said, it only works on a short term basis.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hey does anyone here still remember that something like CastleVania: Erotic Violence exists or have everyone here forgotten about its existence?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hey does anyone here still remember that something like CastleVania: Erotic Violence exists or have everyone here forgotten about its existence?
It's a pachinko machine, which is Japan only.

And well, it's a pachinko machine, the thing that makes people receive a deadly reminder of a Konami that is a mere shadow of its former glory...

Do not speak of such revolting things here.

We're trying to make this place clean...
Well, as long as it doesn't delve into NSFW territory or raging arguments, it should be fine.

If you hadn't said anything we would have forgotten. :p
^ This.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This trend of releasing buggy games to the market is going to hurt the companies in the long term.

Goes to show how much whoever runs those companies they (don't) know about the importance of quality assurance and consumer's trust.

Of course, the whole hype culture the video game fanbase/industry tends to have ends up being an incentive for this kind of practices. Why bother delaying and polishing a game, when the hyped masses go buy the game regardless of quality?

They make money anyway and have less investment at once, so no wonder the executives like it. Of course, like I said, it only works on a short term basis.
Which is one of the things I love about Nintendo. Starfox Zero not ready? Delay and fix it. Zelda U not ready? Delay and fix it. Is it frustrating that we don't have any huge releases coming immediately? Yes. But I'd rather wait then get a game that is basically nonfunctional when I buy it.

The last game breaking bug I can recall in a Nintendo game was the one in Pokemon XY, which locked your save file if you saved in the streets of Lumiose City. A glitch that affected one portion of one city's map, and is easily missed by QA because of that (seriously, why would anyone save in the streets instead of in a building or Pokecenter?). And they communicated the bug to people as soon as it was found, rushed a fix to people, and no issues have arisen since.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Should you ask out multiple people if your not really with any of them?
If you intend on dating around, you need to be up-front about this from the beginning. Don't ask them out without first informing them that there are others you're interested in and will be asking out as well, and you need to be OK with them responding by doing the same.

You might be surprised how many people there are out there who are perfectly fine with this arrangement, for a time at least. If nothing else, they'll respect your honesty, and that can actually really help your prospects for a LTR if you decide to move forward with one.

Mega Electrode

It would look like a giant bright glowing orb of light with dark eyes hiding somewhere past its "corona". It would basically look like a mini sun. It would also have a fast moving planet-like "ring" orbiting it composed of "proto-Voltorbs". It's corona would be roughly three times the diameter of an Electrode. It would constantly appear to be in the process of exploding more or less.

It would have a new ability that behaved like Sturdy except that self destructions or one hit KOs would only do half damage of the Pokemon's total damage. And it wouldn't be a one time use, would always be active. It would retain the same type.

It would be faster yet with a bit more attack power. It's defenses would be a bit lower but it's ability would more than make up for this. In fact, powerful moves would generally be less effective at killing it since anything that would otherwise wipe it out would only do half damage. Couple that with a fast and powerful Pokemon that can repeat SDs and you have a true terror.
Someone just became my new best friend. :101:

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Which is one of the things I love about Nintendo. Starfox Zero not ready? Delay and fix it. Zelda U not ready? Delay and fix it. Is it frustrating that we don't have any huge releases coming immediately? Yes. But I'd rather wait then get a game that is basically nonfunctional when I buy it.

The last game breaking bug I can recall in a Nintendo game was the one in Pokemon XY, which locked your save file if you saved in the streets of Lumiose City. A glitch that affected one portion of one city's map, and is easily missed by QA because of that (seriously, why would anyone save in the streets instead of in a building or Pokecenter?). And they communicated the bug to people as soon as it was found, rushed a fix to people, and no issues have arisen since.
It looks like the new Mario Tennis will break that tradition =[.

Anyway...the fact that reviewers are giving "good" review scores to a game that they admit is broken is also a problem.

Last edited:
Bethesda aren't really "following a trend" here. . . as far as I know this is normal for their open world games. Anyone remember that one Skyrim port? yeah.

at least it will probably be fixed by the time I get it.

D

Deleted member

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so with someone with knowledge of Mario Tennis, can they just specifically tell me what is missing from it and what other issues it has? I know Akr posted a link, but I don't want to see the gameplay footage and I'd prefer to know the specifics of what exactly is wrong with the new Mario Tennis.

Appreciate it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Mario Tennis seems more barebones but functional than outright broken.
Agreed. And, since it is supposedly Camelot's first HD game, I think it's actually not that bad. It's barebones, yes. But it's not broken, and it's a solid enough foundation for other endeavors.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so with someone with knowledge of Mario Tennis, can they just specifically tell me what is missing from it and what other issues it has? I know Akr posted a link, but I don't want to see the gameplay footage and I'd prefer to know the specifics of what exactly is wrong with the new Mario Tennis.

Appreciate it.
It only has one court, so the personality, charm, and gameplay changes from the shifting court layouts are gone. It also has limited play modes compared to the other games, and its new (and only) power up is rather underwhelming.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Appreciate it.
Mini game modes, Miis, online community and custom friends matches, and freaking Power Shots again are all missing >_> and all of the "courts" take place in then same stadium. Its really underwhelming, theres almost nothing in the game. Its being rushed for the holiday season, imo.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Agreed. And, since it is supposedly Camelot's first HD game, I think it's actually not that bad. It's barebones, yes. But it's not broken, and it's a solid enough foundation for other endeavors.

It only has one court, so the personality, charm, and gameplay changes from the shifting court layouts are gone. It also has limited play modes compared to the other games, and its new (and only) power up is rather underwhelming.
They shouldn't be releasing it for 60 dollars, and being the studios first HD game is not a reason it's an excuse. If they needed help they should have outsourced parts of the game, or delayed the game. Either way, the game seems far from finished and I will not be purchasing this game.

The game isn't out yet and numerous bugs have been sighted such as Toad not having a face.

D

Deleted member

Wow, that kinda sucks. I think the thing that hits me the most is only one court. Hopefully Nintendo fixes it with free DLC later similar to Splatoon.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i've never played one of their games but really i think the reason bethesda is "given a pass" is just because their games are really good from a gameplay and design standpoint
they just don't do a lot of work pre-release on, y'know, not making the game broken technically

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I wonder when people are going to stop referring to the "faceless Toad" as a bug; if you view a higher-res shot he's clearly got a mouth, and it's reasonable to assume he was blinking at the time that was shot. More unfortunate than anything.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think to myself, what would happen led if Smash 4 got delayed like Brawl?

Would balance be a lot different and Could the roster be radically different from before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom