• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
The highest fan poll we had was etikas with around 20 thousand. That's at least less than 2% of the grand total.At the end of the day the characters we thought were likely were never really likely

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I've always felt some of the most popular Nintendo characters aren't included all at once, so that way the next Smash still has some oddball choices but lots of all-star potential.

Let's say Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Toad, Inklings, Krystal, and so on had all been included in Smash 4... trying to find really popular 1st party characters would be somewhat difficult for Smash 5. Having said this, I don't believe everyone I mentioned will get included in Smash 5 for that same reason. Even if Sakurai's no longer in charge, Nintendo would be silly not to release another Smash.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly Dixie, Cranky, and K. Rool would all be really fun additions and honestly wouldn't stick out as being tacked-on or unnecessary. Not a lot of series can say that and still have five or more characters. :p
You know what?
JUST DO IT SAKURAI!

Seriously, if you add all 3 or even 2 out of 3 and keep them in smash forever, then you will never have a single complaint about Donkey Kong lacking reps, and the series would feel complete!
Plus they all are great additions as stated, and each bring something different to the table.

I do really hope a new DK game arises and they have all 3 in it as main characters. Especially since there was no reason to drop K rool and because all 3 have quite a bit of fans within the DK fanbase.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*Walks in from the cold*

I've always felt some of the most popular Nintendo characters aren't included all at once, so that way the next Smash still has some oddball choices but lots of all-star potential.

Let's say Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Toad, Inklings, Krystal, and so on had all been included in Smash 4... trying to find really popular 1st party characters would be somewhat difficult for Smash 5. Having said this, I don't believe everyone I mentioned will get included in Smash 5 for that same reason. Even if Sakurai's no longer in charge, Nintendo would be silly not to release another Smash.
When another Smash is released, and Sakurai isn't on board, who could they get to direct it?

Any new up and comers that we have in mind?

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
If DK gets Dixie, K. Rool and Cranky, I wonder if people will now complain that DK is overrepresented and Sakurai bias
When another Smash is released, and Sakurai isn't on board, who could they get to direct it?

Any new up and comers that we have in mind?
My guess is that once Sakurai is finally ready to retire, he'll be the one in charge to look for a succesor

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what?
JUST DO IT SAKURAI!

Seriously, if you add all 3 or even 2 out of 3 and keep them in smash forever, then you will never have a single complaint about Donkey Kong lacking reps, and the series would feel complete!
Plus they all are great additions as stated, and each bring something different to the table.

I do really hope a new DK game arises and they have all 3 in it as main characters. Especially since there was no reason to drop K rool and because all 3 have quite a bit of fans within the DK fanbase.
I dunno, there is tiny, chunky, kiddy, lanky, funky and dk Jr

People will want them

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Knowing the bubble mentality the community thrives on, you really can't be surprised that certain individuals would act the way they do when their supposed oh-so-likely character doesn't make it. It's sad to see, yes, but to be expected.

Especially when over half the community thought the final DLC characters would be pulled from this pool(on average):

King K. Rool
Isaac
Wolf
Inklings
[personal bias character that is likely for whatever reasons]

And unless your bias character was Bayonetta or Corrin, there's a better than decent chance you were screwed over in the event you were a hardcore supporter of either 4.

And the salt continues to this day in some form, depending on person.

Sad. Thankfully there's at least some people who have moved on.
I'll admit I was so confident that we'd at least get Wolf or K. Rool or Inkling (I never found Isaac to be likely).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Probably the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers at this point (at least among hardcore Smash fans) have combined together to make In K. Rool!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I dunno, there is tiny, chunky, kiddy, lanky, funky and dk Jr

People will want them
Maybe but I don't see it being as big as the others.

I feel like it will be seen as complete when they add one or two(maybe even all 3) of the big characters from DK.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Happy Little Picture.png
Drew a thing on tablet
Happy little Plumbers :4pacman:
I JUST GOT 2 HOO PEOPLE TO MARRY
HELL YEAH

Poots

Smash Journeyman
Probably the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers at this point (at least among hardcore Smash fans) have combined together to make In K. Rool!
Wow, I never noticed how different the K.Rool costume looks without the head. ...I don't like it, it's weird.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
No bumping!
Remember those Smash pictures about cartoons being relevant? Like Spongebob characters as Smash chraracters with quotes that can be similar to Smash related? Well I can imagine MLP, other CN shows, and others that are not spongebob being like that.

EX: Corrin as Trixie: Well, well, well, it seems we have some Saaaalty~ Fanboys in the direct!
Dark Pit is an Average Clone, that No one understands.

(Bumped)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Remember those Smash pictures about cartoons being relevant? Like Spongebob characters as Smash chraracters with quotes that can be similar to Smash related? Well I can imagine MLP, other CN shows, and others that are not spongebob being like that.

EX: Corrin as Trixie: Well, well, well, it seems we have some Saaaalty~ Fanboys in the direct!
Dark Pit is an Average Clone, that No one understands.

(Bumped)
Does this thread need bumping?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I never thought fan polls were ever true evidence at all.

I was floored when people took Reddit polls seriously thinking that a few vocal minority characters had a chance when Reddit is a small board. I'm tired of crapping on Shovel Knight but goddamn saying he won a Reddit poll at the start of the ballot didn't mean he was a major choice when he probably wasn't even mentioned at all. Same with Banjo and K. Rool.

The Smash Ballot taught me to just shut up and let it flow and don't listen to idiots on Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, 4chan & GameFAQs. Leaks and Rumors are bull**** unless it has gameplay footage or data mined.
And the only obvious ones are the truly popular ones and the only obvious choice is Inklings and no one else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saw some K. Rool/Core vs Casual Communities discussion, so I decided to put in my two cents.

Honestly, I think the main reason there's such a deviation between what most in the "core" community were expecting and what the roster ended up being comes down to the fact that the character selection process seems to have changed between Brawl and Smash 4.

With Brawl, there were a lot of characters added that were fan favorites pre-release; arguably much more than we had this time around. However, there were also, in general, a whole lot of more obvious omissions pre-Brawl than pre-Smash 4. Think about it: prior to Brawl's release, Kirby and Donkey Kong had one character each, Wario was absent, Fire Emblem had finally come to the rest of the non-Japanese world and needed a character to showcase that, Mother 3 happened, Lucario was becoming a rising star in Pokemon with the release of Diamond and Pearl, and Pikmin became a very popular new in-house series. Yes, these were very popular characters, but they were also extremely obvious omissions for the time: a lot of these characters were Nintendo giants.

The issue came when people tried to apply Sakurai's Brawl-era mentality to Smash 4 speculation when the playing field had significant changes. There weren't nearly as many universal fan-favorites as there were pre-Brawl. So naturally, Sakurai kind of had to change his stance on things. If we were discussing what ended up being the actual roster pre-E3 2013, it'd have been laughed off as a joke roster. Wolf missing? The Ice Climbers gone? Ryu, who was deemed impossible for the reason that third parties could only get one character? Pac-Man, who was often deemed too generic? Rosalina, who was erroneously referred to as Space Peach by so many? Three Fire Emblem newcomers, none of them being Chrom, plus Roy's return? Villager, who, along with the Miis, was dismissed during the Brawl era? Wii Fit Trainer? Duck Hunt, who was always just a background character, unlike Mach Rider or Takamaru? Mewtwo not making the initial roster? No Ridley or K. Rool? Greninja, despite him being "too new" to join? Cloud and Bayonetta? The only ones that were spot on, for the most part, were Little Mac, Palutena, Mega Man, and Bowser Jr.

And for the most part? All of those choices made sense in retrospect. But the problem was that using Brawl's criteria for an unrelated game had some folks' judgment be clouded a bit, and I wasn't immune from this either. K. Rool's omission, despite it being a shame since he's an awesome character, made a fair bit of sense, seeing as how his credentials stayed the exact same since pre-Brawl as opposed to getting better. If he hadn't gotten in then, then it'd have been harder for him to get in now. Mewtwo's initial omission blindsided many. Believe it or not, a fairly large percentage (at least forty) believed the Pokemon roster would just be Brawl's+Mewtwo prior to his initial reveal. Naturally, when these events proved untrue, people got upset. And honestly? It was bound to happen and makes sense. To have the very things you've built up as rules to base discussion around crumble before you isn't a pleasant experience if it's not in your favor. It's natural that backlash would happen. It happened with Brawl. It probably happened with Melee as well.

At the end of the day, all the rules basically come down to "they're a video game character" first and foremost. While the rest aren't be-all end-alls, the more boxes that are checked, the better the odds. Timing, relevance, uniqueness, popularity...they all matter. And above all, support who you want, not who you think is likely (or unlikely...no one likes a purposeful contrarian :p). By all means, get hyped and excited. Speculate to your heart's content. But that being said, don't let arbitrary criteria and the "majority opinion" of the core community cloud your judgment. It just ends, more often than not, with unneeded frustration.

D

Deleted member

Sorry I did not know better from that.
All good. For future reference, check the Global Rules.
Of course, having known you for about a year now (thanks to your old accounts), I wouldn't need to treat you as a new user.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Saw some K. Rool/Core vs Casual Communities discussion, so I decided to put in my two cents.

Honestly, I think the main reason there's such a deviation between what most in the "core" community were expecting and what the roster ended up being comes down to the fact that the character selection process seems to have changed between Brawl and Smash 4.

With Brawl, there were a lot of characters added that were fan favorites pre-release; arguably much more than we had this time around. However, there were also, in general, a whole lot of more obvious omissions pre-Brawl than pre-Smash 4. Think about it: prior to Brawl's release, Kirby and Donkey Kong had one character each, Wario was absent, Fire Emblem had finally come to the rest of the non-Japanese world and needed a character to showcase that, Mother 3 happened, Lucario was becoming a rising star in Pokemon with the release of Diamond and Pearl, and Pikmin became a very popular new in-house series. Yes, these were very popular characters, but they were also extremely obvious omissions for the time: a lot of these characters were Nintendo giants.

The issue came when people tried to apply Sakurai's Brawl-era mentality to Smash 4 speculation when the playing field had significant changes. There weren't nearly as many universal fan-favorites as there were pre-Brawl. So naturally, Sakurai kind of had to change his stance on things. If we were discussing what ended up being the actual roster pre-E3 2013, it'd have been laughed off as a joke roster. Wolf missing? The Ice Climbers gone? Ryu, who was deemed impossible for the reason that third parties could only get one character? Pac-Man, who was often deemed too generic? Rosalina, who was erroneously referred to as Space Peach by so many? Three Fire Emblem newcomers, none of them being Chrom, plus Roy's return? Villager, who, along with the Miis, was dismissed during the Brawl era? Wii Fit Trainer? Duck Hunt, who was always just a background character, unlike Mach Rider or Takamaru? Mewtwo not making the initial roster? No Ridley or K. Rool? Greninja, despite him being "too new" to join? Cloud and Bayonetta? The only ones that were spot on, for the most part, were Little Mac, Palutena, Mega Man, and Bowser Jr.

And for the most part? All of those choices made sense in retrospect. But the problem was that using Brawl's criteria for an unrelated game had some folks' judgment be clouded a bit, and I wasn't immune from this either. K. Rool's omission, despite it being a shame since he's an awesome character, made a fair bit of sense, seeing as how his credentials stayed the exact same since pre-Brawl as opposed to getting better. If he hadn't gotten in then, then it'd have been harder for him to get in now. Mewtwo's initial omission blindsided many. Believe it or not, a fairly large percentage (at least forty) believed the Pokemon roster would just be Brawl's+Mewtwo prior to his initial reveal. Naturally, when these events proved untrue, people got upset. And honestly? It was bound to happen and makes sense. To have the very things you've built up as rules to base discussion around crumble before you isn't a pleasant experience if it's not in your favor. It's natural that backlash would happen. It happened with Brawl. It probably happened with Melee as well.

At the end of the day, all the rules basically come down to "they're a video game character" first and foremost. While the rest aren't be-all end-alls, the more boxes that are checked, the better the odds. Timing, relevance, uniqueness, popularity...they all matter. And above all, support who you want, not who you think is likely (or unlikely...no one likes a purposeful contrarian :p). By all means, get hyped and excited. Speculate to your heart's content.But that being said, don't let arbitrary criteria and the "majority opinion" of the core community cloud your judgment. It just ends up, more often than not, with unneeded frustration.
What about Shulk, he was very popular during speculation, so imo, I'd consider him a safe bet.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Who would you choose?

K. Rool or Dixie?
Speaking as a fan of neither or Donkey Kong Country in general, Dixie Kong all the way.
She's plenty unique from Donkey and Diddy Kong, and I feel like her being a playable character with a game's title to her name puts her above King K. Rool.

Honestly if there's any DKC rep I feel would make the representation complete, it's her.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
What about Shulk, he was very popular during speculation, so imo, I'd consider him a safe bet.
He didn't jump off the radar until Gemastu Part Deux.

The major popular choices for Smash 4 were usually :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:& a little bit of :4pacman: with rest being Ridley, Chrom, other Kid Icarus characters, Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, Skull Kid, K. Rool (only partly into mid 2014 where it spiked) and Inklings during the ballot

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Admittedly I forgot about Shulk, but honestly Shulk's support was very lukewarm prior to the Gematsu leak, mainly because he was still rather obscure even to the "core" fanbase at the time. Gematsu spread the word of Shulk and his support base grew three sizes. :p

Prior to that he was around Isaac's popularity.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Admittedly I forgot about Shulk, but honestly Shulk's support was very lukewarm prior to the Gematsu leak, mainly because he was still rather obscure even to the "core" fanbase at the time. Gematsu spread the word of Shulk and his support base grew three sizes. :p

Prior to that he was around Isaac's popularity.
I would give Issac more credit than that. He had a following moreso than pre-Gemastu :4shulk:

It just that it wasn't as big as his Brawl popularity

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would give Issac more credit than that. He had a following moreso than pre-Gemastu :4shulk:

It just that it wasn't as big as his Brawl popularity
Nope.
From what I remember Isaac and Shulk were neck-and-neck.

I remember an ongoing poll had them right next to each other, and in terms of discussion, they were brought up in equal measure.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nope.
From what I remember Isaac and Shulk were neck-and-neck.

I remember an ongoing poll had them right next to each other, and in terms of discussion, they were brought up in equal measure.
I guess it's just bad memory but I'm going by 4chan, NeoGAF and GameFAQs which had a different focus with characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He didn't jump off the radar until Gemastu Part Deux.

The major popular choices for Smash 4 were usually :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:& a little bit of :4pacman: with rest being Ridley, Chrom, other Kid Icarus characters, Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, Skull Kid, K. Rool (only partly into mid 2014 where it spiked) and Inklings during the ballot
The rest were honestly just K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Isaac, Takamaru, and Toad, and the occasional Saki, Zoroark, Krystal, Ghirahim, Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow supporter...around here, anyway. Especially prior to E3 2013. Palutena was the only Kid Icarus character to come up, as Medusa and Magnus support died around here when their roles proved to be so minor in Uprising, while Hades was too new. Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, and Skull Kid didn't get brought up much at all. Hell, Waluigi discussion was denounced as being on-par with Goku at one point. Times change alright. Of course, like I said, this was from E3 2011-E3 2013. Times were a lot different then, as some people here may be able to attest. Dixie wasn't even considered much due to Tropical Freeze not existing yet.

Not sure what you mean by K. Rool peaking in popularity in 2014 though. He's been the most wanted character since I joined the site (probably longer too, at least as early as 2010, going by Youtube roster videos and such). :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The rest were honestly just K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Isaac, Takamaru, and Toad, and the occasional Saki, Zoroark, Krystal, Ghirahim, Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow supporter...around here, anyway. Especially prior to E3 2013. Palutena was the only Kid Icarus character to come up, as Medusa and Magnus support died around here when their roles proved to be so minor in Uprising, while Hades was too new. Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, and Skull Kid didn't get brought up much at all. Hell, Waluigi discussion was denounced as being on-par with Goku at one point. Times change alright. Of course, like I said, this was from E3 2011-E3 2013. Times were a lot different then, as some people here may be able to attest. Dixie wasn't even considered much due to Tropical Freeze not existing yet.

Not sure what you mean by K. Rool peaking in popularity in 2014 though. He's been the most wanted character since I joined the site (probably longer too, at least as early as 2010, going by Youtube roster videos and such). :p
Mostly agree, however.
and the occasional Ghirahim
hey...Ghirahim got a lot of support actually...
I know because I remember the thousand people who shared my pain when...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mostly agree, however.

hey...Ghirahim got a lot of support actually...
I know because I remember the thousand people who shared my pain when...
Oh believe me, I know it got really big. I just went with "occasional" due to his support dwindling later on is all, and I couldn't remember exactly when he tapered off. :laugh: He was the de facto Zelda newcomer around here for at least two years, that I know.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I always saw Shulk as more likely than Isaac, since Xenoblade was released at the perfect time.

Shulk's support size definitely grew a lot after Gematsu, but at the same time a lot of "supporters" jumped ship after Robin was revealed.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh believe me, I know it got really big. I just went with "occasional" due to his support dwindling later on is all, and I couldn't remember exactly when he tapered off. :laugh: He was the de facto Zelda newcomer around here for at least two years, that I know.
Well it was more like, there was a big push for him in early 2012 due to Skyward Sword hype, then died down a bit in 2013, then rose back up in 2014, possibly because every other option was deconfirmed.
But then it all came crashing down when...

RIP

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I've got to say that a lot of the core choices like
:4bowserjr::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::4pacman:( as brought up before)

would be pretty boring.

With Bowser Jr., I didn't see anything truly awesome resulting from the paintbrush. I thought while it made sense, it be pretty meh. So glad they went with an idea no one had and Incorporated the clown car and koopalings. Truly one of my favorites on the roster.

With little Mac, I thought that his moveset wouldn't be to great based on just punching. But I actually really like how he turned out even if I don't play him. He works pretty well.

With Palutena, there were to many ideas that could be used for her, so I didn't know what to expect. I''m actually so so on her. I like the way they portray her as a character, but her basic moveset is alright. Those customs are nice thoughas well as her no smash attacks.

As for Mega Man and Pac, I thought they both would be great additions,( and called both before they got in)( I never understood why mega man seemed unlikely to people), but again there was a lot of moveset potential here, and I love what they did.

Basically there were quite a few characters this game, that I thought would be either alright or nice to have, but didn't think they would come out as great as they are.

Sakurai truly know how to make a great game, treat a character, and blow expectations away. this is why Smash 4 is my favorite, and I know that if Sakurai were to leave next game, it probably wouldn't be the same.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've got to say that a lot of the core choices like
:4bowserjr::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::4pacman:( as brought up before)

would be pretty boring.

With Bowser Jr., I didn't see anything truly awesome resulting from the paintbrush. I thought while it made sense, it be pretty meh. So glad they went with an idea no one had and Incorporated the clown car and koopalings. Truly one of my favorites on the roster.

With little Mac, I thought that his moveset wouldn't be to great based on just punching. But I actually really like how he turned out even if I don't play him. He works pretty well.

With Palutena, there were to many ideas that could be used for her, so I didn't know what to expect. I''m actually so so on her. I like the way they portray her as a character, but her basic moveset is alright. Those customs are nice thoughas well as her no smash attacks.

As for Mega Man and Pac, I thought they both would be great additions,( and called both before they got in)( I never understood why mega man seemed unlikely to people), but again there was a lot of moveset potential here, and I love what they did.

Basically there were quite a few characters this game, that I thought would be either alright or nice to have, but didn't think they would come out as great as they are.

Sakurai truly know how to make a great game, treat a character, and blow expectations away. this is why Smash 4 is my favorite, and I know that if Sakurai were to leave next game, it probably wouldn't be the same.
At least around here, Mega Man was never considered unlikely. GameFaqs, yeah, I saw some there that said that, but not here. He was nigh universally deemed as likely here.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
At least around here, Mega Man was never considered unlikely. GameFaqs, yeah, I saw some there that said that, but not here. He was nigh universally deemed as likely here.
I saw him viewed as unlikely all over the place. I didn't really lurk here at the time( I joined after Rosalina), so I didn't come the smashboards members views to much. I always wound up and would read the old leaks thread after searching smash leaks in google lol.

And then eventually I joined!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom