• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you self-aware in the slightest?

I understand your side, I know that Splatoon 2 is possible and even likely, I know that Inklings in Smash are possible. But you are apparently incapable of taking the time to understand that I'm just keeping my expectations in check and not assuming that a character will get in with no ACTUAL PROOF of it. Learn to be open to the opinions of others.

Inklings are going to be your Ridley.
And I never said that Inklings are definitely getting in, just that the series is definitely going to continue and that Inklings are likely.

They aren't my Ridley, I don't give two ****s about the characters.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why is it that all the characters I supported the most have the most obnoxious fans of the lot? Shantae, Geno, a FF character in general...

I guess it's like they say, the idiots always scream the loudest. (Not directed at anyone in particular with that.)
Yeah. Most characters with any level of support have obnoxious fanbases, though, so don't feel too bad.

As for me, I can't even tell if my most wanted has obnoxious fans because we're too busy getting booed into a corner by all the other fanbases.

Tails has STUPID fans and there's no denying it, but they're too busy hiding to C/D outright obnoxiousness.

Tails is literally the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer both of his own canon and of the Smash fan base.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Speaking of Bayonnaise
View attachment 87880
WE GOT THE AWESOME SONG, LADS
GOOD2GO :4pacman:
- - - - -
Also, albeit a bit late, 'grats to BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for getting the stuff right, you done did good
Too bad I got every part wrong except Lucas :4pacman:
Rest in Peace Moon River and Fly Me To The Moon Climaxes. But it makes sense they were excluded, they ARE mixes of already established famous tunes after all.

Also, Cloud being Japanese is bugging me SO much. I know Cloud's English VA isn't really the best, but every character with an official English actor reprises their roles in Smash EXCEPT for Cloud. It's inconsistent and confusing. Steve Burton has been Cloud since 2001, and even friggin voices him in the first official FF7 remake trailer. I don't understand why the couldn't use him.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
its weid the website just randomly posted a picture of the dead sea? now why would smashboards suddenly post a picture of the saltiest body of water on the planet?....mysteries we will never know the answer to i guess
Sorry, I forgot the [joke] [/joke].
She's not as niche as Isaac and Shantae.

Shantae, in particular, is about as niche as you can possibly get outside of, say, an obscure Japan-only game from the NES days.

It's not about Bayonetta fans being a "silent casual majority". It's about Shantae and Isaac fans being a "loud obnoxious minority".
I didn't say anything about those particular fanbases. I just adressed your general statement about people doubting Bayonetta topping the ballot. Which is understandable.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Since the entire roster has been revealed, I decided to make a new Straw Poll.

http://strawpoll.me/6284115
:4pacman:
Or more specifically
NOT THIS
OR THIS

BUT THIS

All I wanted was PAC-MAN.
And in his PAC-MAN World form.
I got exactly what I wanted, and I'm happy with that. :4pacman:
Mega Man was 2nd Most Hype, tho. He's awesome.
Albeit Meta Knight would totally be 2nd if he was a Newcomer

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
when it comes down to it bayo is my most hype reveal because unlkie shulk who had that place she had the doubt of almost everyone here
where as shulk only had to contend with had obstinant golden sun fans who decided that he would "take" isaacs place

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I didn't say anything about those particular fanbases. I just adressed your general statement about people doubting Bayonetta topping the ballot. Which is understandable.
No, my post was completely directed towards people who are complaining about Bayonetta winning the ballot and then proceeding to list characters like Isaac and Shantae as ones she couldn't have possibly beaten.

I think the "realizable" thing made it fairly clear that she probably wasn't really the overall most-popular pick. They even said as much, as far as US voters go.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
And I never said that Inklings are definitely getting in, just that the series is definitely going to continue and that Inklings are likely.

They aren't my Ridley, I don't give two ****s about the characters.
If that's really the case then why in the hell did you jump on my case to begin with? My original post said NOTHING about Splatoon not gettingva sequel, it was about WHEN it gets a sequel.

My point STILL stands, Splatoon will get a sequel but the timeframe of when it comes out decides whether or not they make it fo Smash.

End of discussion. I don't want any more of your arguing for the apparent sake of arguing.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So.

Who's ready to talk about possible Smash NX newcomers?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Rest in Peach Moon River and Fly Me To The Moon Climaxes. But it makes sense they were excluded, they ARE mixes of already established famous tunes after all.
I know absolutely nothing about Bayonetta
But those two names make me think of Super Mario [Insert title here] (RIPeach) and Ducktales (MOOOOOOOON)
I'm 99% wrong, but I'm just a guy who loves me some saxophone. :4pacman:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
She didn't rank very high in the fan polls, and the "silent casual majority" argument doesn't work with her since she's a rather niche character. So naturally people are confused.

Though I guess Sakurai's criteria for "realizable" could basically amount to "character I want to make".
She almost assuredly outvoted characters like Isaac and K. Rool, though.

I'd say Inklings and Snake are a couple of characters who may have outvoted her, but Inklings could have conceptual issues and Snake has licensing issues, making them "non-realizable."

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i like how bayonetta was in the top 5 because you all know that
shrek goku ice climbers and ridley were the other 4 in the top 5

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So.

Newcomers are gonna be irrelevant. I worrying about the veterans coming back seriously. I might lose days of sleep that :4megaman::4robinm::4cloud:&:4ryu: being cut

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The only issue I have with Bayonetta ATM is no "You may call me Father" or "Greatest Jubilee" but she's got enough kickass music anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since the entire roster has been revealed, I decided to make a new Straw Poll.

http://strawpoll.me/6284115
lumaicon.png
:rosalina:

The salt is still delicious.

If that's really the case then why in the hell did you jump on my case to begin with? My original post said NOTHING about Splatoon not gettingva sequel, it was about WHEN it gets a sequel.

My point STILL stands, Splatoon will get a sequel but the timeframe of when it comes out decides whether or not they make it fo Smash.

End of discussion. I don't want any more of your arguing for the apparent sake of arguing.
I didn't "jump on your post", you said that you were skeptical of Splatoon even getting a sequel and Inklings being in Smash, and I just commented that I don't get why the former at least is something I see people saying everywhere. It was a general statement.

It was you who got argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

And no your point on the timeframe does not stand as it is not a fact. The example you used was a "maybe" in the end. Not "Robin DEFINITELY wouldn't have appeared if his game wasn't hot at the time I was developing Smash". You tried to use this quote to say Robin would definitely have been overlooked, and by extension, that it means Splatoon would suffer the same if a sequel wasn't around by the time the next Smash is being developed. But the fact is that Sakurai said "maybe".

Also there are plenty of other characters that didn't have something coming out when Smash was being developed/the initial roster was picked, so as Sakurai also said, it's not the end all be all factor. For example, Rosalina had nothing coming out when Smash's roster was being conceptualised, and she wasn't exactly appearing in much at the time. Her surge of appearing in lots of games, being solidified as a Mario mainstay, and getting top billing in promotional material only started around the time of her Smash reveal (the decision to put her in 3D World came late in development so it's not like she planned for that well in advance either). So clearly, her lack of games and exposure around Smash's roster conceptualisation did not effect her getting into the game.

You are trying to make a point that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I'd just like to say that sales numbers do not necessarily equate to fan numbers.

Here's a personal example: I like Killer Instinct (xbone). I've played less than an hour of it and I'm not buying a xbone to get it (though I'll buy a copy when it comes to PC). I got interested in it because I love watching tournaments/streams of it. It's super entertaining and seems very well made. That's why I like Killer Instinct, but there are plenty of other reasons to support a character or game you've never bought or even played.

Additionally, there's probably plenty of people who aren't getting a wii u to play her games. And even when you look at the ps3/360 versions that sold over 1.1 million total (as of 2010), those numbers only include new copies and dont say anything about the used game market.

And concerning the ballot, being number one doesnt mean you got the majority of votes, it just means you got more than everyone else. If a vote looked like this "26%, 25%, 25% ,24%" then the person with 26% wins. We have no idea what the actual vote spread looked like, but with a larger spread of possible picks Bayonetta would need fewer and fewer votes depending on the actual spread.

D

Deleted member

Personally, Shulk's reveal was the most hyping for me, with Mega Man being a close second. I was very grateful to have two of my most wanted characters.

Honorable mention goes to Cloud for the shock factor, the fact that Final Fantasy is finally (no pun intended) represented in Smash, and his moveset.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
No, my post was completely directed towards people who are complaining about Bayonetta winning the ballot and then proceeding to list characters like Isaac and Shantae as ones she couldn't have possibly beaten.

I think the "realizable" thing made it fairly clear that she probably wasn't really the overall most-popular pick. They even said as much, as far as US voters go.
Ah, gotcha.

I'm just already expecting other people to say in hindsight how Bayonetta was the obvious top pick etc. even though they didn't even consider her a contender before.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The only issue I have with Bayonetta ATM is no "You may call me Father" or "Greatest Jubilee" but she's got enough kickass music anyway.
Yeah, no right to complain when you see what Final Fantasy 7 and Street Fighter fans ended up with.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a theory with how people took advantage of the ballot.

I think the very moment the ballot said that can submit "any video-game character" to the ballot brought a massive amount of people to vote for third-parties in contrast of Nintendo newcomers. If any casual was given an opportunity to vote any video game character, they would likely go nuts to vote for "impossible" 3rd parties so they can see their dream come true. Thus we have the very reasons Cloud and Bayonetta got in and why we have a few people not understanding why people would rather take the opportunity to vote for third parties rather than Nintendo characters.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah, no right to complain when you see what Final Fantasy 7 and Street Fighter fans ended up with.
:4cloud: really did get it bad. No "One Winged Angel" is really surprising.
:4ryu: at least had the music change at certain points but still just 2 themes with 3 versions of each.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
its times like this that i can reflect and look at the characters who i wanted in and got in

shulk- the golden sun fans really didnt want you because lol character slots
rosalina- people said you wouldnt make it because there could only be 1 mario newcomer and that was bowser jr
roy- i remember people claiming wolf was more likely and that there was no way theyd bring you back
greninja- you were to recent for some and others wanted sceptile
palutena- "Why would you belive thoes leaks shes not going to get in"
bayonetta- ahh the endless arguments where i pointed out that every thing going against her was a non issue
Little mac-.....huh this one doesnt have any memories of people out right saying it couldnt happen

man people seem to hate the idea of me getting characters i want looking back at this

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'd just like to say that sales numbers do not necessarily equate to fan numbers.

Here's a personal example: I like Killer Instinct (xbone). I've played less than an hour of it and I'm not buying a xbone to get it (though I'll buy a copy when it comes to PC). I got interested in it because I love watching tournaments/streams of it. It's super entertaining and seems very well made. That's why I like Killer Instinct, but there are plenty of other reasons to support a character or game you've never bought or even played.

Additionally, there's probably plenty of people who aren't getting a wii u to play her games. And even when you look at the ps3/360 versions that sold over 1.1 million total (as of 2010), those numbers only include new copies and dont say anything about the used game market.

And concerning the ballot, being number one doesnt mean you got the majority of votes, it just means you got more than everyone else. If a vote looked like this "26%, 25%, 25% ,24%" then the person with 26% wins. We have no idea what the actual vote spread looked like, but with a larger spread of possible picks Bayonetta would need fewer and fewer votes depending on the actual spread.
I think the biggest influence was due to the widespread of fans of the first game. People who wanted her in Smash probably own a 3DS moreso than a WiiU and the demand from other aspects as well.

Also when it came to the ballot, I feel like they filtered out some requests like the Goku/Shrek joke ones or even some video game characters that even Sakurai said "Wait, WHAT?!?" So Bayonetta probably hit the top 5 worldwide and she was probably the most feasible due to how easy it was to handle the rights and the relationship of Nintendo and Sega/Platinum

I feel like the characters that topped her were probably Snake, Inklings, Wolf and probably Waluigi and/or Ridley.

And they went with what was the easiest to work with considering I think Inklings was planned but I think how would they be implemented and if the 3DS would restrict them. And Snake? Ha, I probably believe Simon Belmont had some leeway into the top 15 but you know, Konami

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Also guys, Mother 3 is out in Japan!
YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO IN MIIVERSE NOW!
Throw fireballs at geeks?

But concerning the NX....if it gets a port of Smash 4/5 I don't believe it will add new characters or stages. I don't think they ruin an opportunity for crossplay between Wii U and NX. Stuff like that should be saved for an actual sequel.

At most I'd expect better/more single player modes, more controller options, more trophies, more equipment, more music, better graphics, and maybe voice options for certain characters.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

I think the very moment the ballot said that can submit "any video-game character" to the ballot brought a massive amount of people to vote for third-parties in contrast of Nintendo newcomers. If any casual was given an opportunity to vote any video game character, they would likely go nuts to vote for "impossible" 3rd parties so they can see their dream come true. Thus we have the very reasons Cloud and Bayonetta got in and why we have a few people not understanding why people would rather take the opportunity to vote for third parties rather than Nintendo characters.
I feel like you hit the nail on the head.
Let's take what Iwata said (Fuzzy Memory go);
"Can you imagine you're favorite Character fighting with Mario or Link?"
I feel like the "Favorite Character" should be emphasized.
Honestly if the Ballot Winner was a First Party, it wouldn't really be in the "Favorite Character" league, it'd just be someone like a Veteran. Or Shanta-imean what
Like Kernel said;
"This is a once in a lifetime chance, Snake"
If your favorite character got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to enter Smash, would you vote for THEM or some character that other people want simply because "Muh Veteran Status"?
If you don't do it, who will?
And if not now, when? :4pacman:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
In terms of the next smash.
I want to say that most of the characters return.
I feel these 3 are locks :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy: because having them removed again would be really sad for mains of them.
And I am almost certain Ice Climbers will return considering their one main reason was technical limitations otherwise we would have them now.:popo:
If they do make Smash NX. I do think it should just be a port of the Wii U game with more stuff and maybe combing the 3ds version Exclusives into it.
I really think adding onto the current roster would be the best way forward for an NX Iteration. Because I can't imagine the hassle they would have to go through to port all of these characters over to a new game one by one.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So.

Me, clearly.

I'll even take it a step further and say that if the Bayonetta bandwagon won out in the end due to being longer lived than most of the other third party bandwagons that cropped up, then I'm going ahead of the curve and attempting to start the Tails for Smash 5 bandwagon NOW.

Since talking people out of mindless Sonic hatred and whining about voice acting is impossible, my first order of business will be to gather clips of Tails Adventure, Sonic Battle, and Sonic the Fighters in order to establish unique moveset potential for all the idiots who claim he'd "just be a Sonic clone."

Granted, he'd likely have two or three moves in common with Sonic and people have cried clone over far less, but I have to at least try.

Khoru

Smash Champion
So.

isabelle, inklings, [mario character], [pokemon], [xenoblade], simon if konami stops being obstinate, takamaru if something actually happens with mmc, [rhythm heaven], maybe dixie
She almost assuredly outvoted characters like Isaac and K. Rool, though.

I'd say Inklings and Snake are a couple of characters who may have outvoted her, but Inklings could have conceptual issues and Snake has licensing issues, making them "non-realizable."
i'd debate kkr
i mean yes, he's absolutely a niche character that hasn't appeared in **** knows how long
but hasn't he still been one of the most requested characters since like, brawl times, according to people like chronobound at least

i need to update my sig

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Personally, Shulk's reveal was the most hyping for me, with Mega Man being a close second. I was very grateful to have two of my most wanted characters.

Honorable mention goes to Cloud for the shock factor, the fact that Final Fantasy is finally (no pun intended) represented in Smash, and his moveset.
I've noticed over time that you and I have incredibly similiar taste in characters.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

This, exactly.

They made it very clear that she wasn't the "winner" per se, but absolutely the best choice of the top picks based on overall ranking and viability. The European market is smaller than the North American market, so if it's weighted properly then she absolutely didn't have the most votes. I haven't been reading this thread so I'm sure this has been pointed out a hundred times.

Burb, what did you think of Bayonetta?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I feel like the characters that topped her were probably Snake, Inklings, Wolf and probably Waluigi and/or Ridley.
If we're talking about the silent majority, than I really doubt Snake, Wolf, and Ridley were above her. I can easily see the Inlkings getting more votes that her, though, and maybe WaLuigi due to his meme status.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Smash 4 Speculation has died and was immediately cremated.

Now, who's ready for SMASH 5 speculation!? :mariomelee:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Just another thing we forgot to account for in fan polls. Another thing we forgot is how a hardcore oriented character like K. Tool or Isaac would sell. Everyone's going to buy Ryu or Cloud, but casual would be largely apathetic to K Rool or Isaac, and they wouldn't sell nearly as much and bring in nearly as many new players as third parties.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
So.

Do you mean Smash 5 on the NX, or an NX port of Smash 4?

If the former, I predict a popular third party or two (Banjo? Rayman?), Inklings, Isabelle, and the next generational Pokemon and Fire Emblem (and Xenoblade?) characters are good bets, maybe even another retro and a new character that doesn't exist yet. I can't say much else beyond that.

If the latter, I won't comment on it further other than
I'm actually surprised I've haven't seen much of the latter being used as a reason to hold out hope for more characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom