• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Finally got around the SmashBoards to drop my impressions:

Pretty awesome finale content. Both :4corrin: & :4bayonetta: look incredibly amazing characters moveset wise, even though I didn't expect them (didn't expect Bayonetta to be the ballot winner either).

While I'm a little bummed that there are still characters I wanted to see, but I've accepted the fact long ago that, for something huge as Super Smash Bros., it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone in terms of roster, so my expectations were low to begin with. Even if you got a Smash game with over 200 characters, there would ALWAYS be someone that would claim a certain character is "missing", no matter what the roster contains. And personally it's too soon (and foolish) to hype up for the next Smash game at this time.

Now that we know everything about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, it's time for me to move my hype towards the upcoming demos & content for Super Smash Flash 2 & Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

And farewell my ballot choices in my signature, we had some good times!

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
@PushDustIn I need to ask you something.

This was a given, but because of the recent events unfolding, I'm seeing multiple commentators accuse Sakurai of having ego-maniacal tendencies, citing apparent claims he made about not trusting his own team without him.

Since you've translated several of his interviews in an unbiased manner, especially with a proficient understanding of the Japanese language, would you support or refute these claims made against Sakurai? To me personally, it just seems petty, but I want to hear what you think of this situation.

D

Deleted member

Explain what, exactly? That page just blanks out the text and wants me to take a survey before I can read anything. Am I to take this for a credible site, or should I start my virus scans now?

Actually, before you answer that... are you trolling, or are you legitimately convinced that Smash for Nintendo 64 came out before the games on NES and SNES demonstrating Kirby's copy ability?
I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. He's saying that kirby got A ability thanks to smash. The smash ability.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

"Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in"

You are exaggerating his statement not quoting it.

He said Robin would have been less likely to be included, not that he definitely wouldn't have been. The fact that his game did well was an extra reason to include him.
Yeah, he said "may not", but logically the "not" is more important than the "may", that's the case if you're talking about Sakurai, a girlfriend, or whoever. "Maybe" is always closer to "no" than "yes".

Also, if Awakening had been released 6 months later, the popularity wouldn't have affected Robin's chances because we know based on just about every interview that Sakurai chooses the characters for the base roster at the very beginning of development, any the only time that changed was when he promoted Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit near the end of development when he realized he had time. My point still stands, Inklings are not the shoo-in you all think and you're setting yourselves up for a potentially harsh disappointment. Again.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, he said "may not", but logically the "not" is more important than the "may", that's the case if you're talking about Sakurai, a girlfriend, or whoever. "Maybe" is always closer to "no" than "yes".

Also, if Awakening had been released 6 months later, the popularity wouldn't have affected Robin's chances because we know based on just about every interview that Sakurai chooses the characters for the base roster at the very beginning of development, any the only time that changed was when he promoted Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit near the end of development when he realized he had time. My point still stands, Inklings are not the shoo-in you all think and you're setting yourselves up for a potentially harsh disappointment. Again.

It's the literal in between and the "not" does not negate it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Explain what, exactly? That page just blanks out the text and wants me to take a survey before I can read anything. Am I to take this for a credible site, or should I start my virus scans now?

Actually, before you answer that... are you trolling, or are you legitimately convinced that Smash for Nintendo 64 came out before the games on NES and SNES demonstrating Kirby's copy ability?
Thank goodness for me backtracking, I never would've saw this since I didn't get a notification! :4pacman:

1) It's a credible site, that I can assure. I use it all the time! (Mainly to find pictures of certain things, but a bit a deep research never hurt nobody) :4pacman:
Not sure why that survey thing showed up though. Maybe your Adblock is screwy. Or maybe you don't got one! I dunno. Whatever it is, that ain't normal, so I dunno what happened there. :drshrug:
EDIT: Wait, I just got a survey too.
Huh. Seems to be a Wikipedia-wide thing.
Luckily you can skip it and head back to the site, so I suggest doing that! :4pacman:

2) No, I ain't trolling. I'm too nice to do such things. I said;
He got an entire Copy Ability because of Smash Bros. (Used most recently in Kirby Dream Collection, unless it's in Triple Deluxe too but idk)
By "He got an entire Copy Ability because of Smash Bros.", I was referring to the Smash Ability, not Copy Ablities as a whole. Note how I put "An entire Copy Ability" as a singular. But then again, I might've exaggerated a bit. I dunno. :4pacman:

I play tons o' Kirby all the time, so I don't think I'd goof up on knowing what game the Copy Ablilites debuted in and when (1992 is definitely not the GBA Era where the Smash Ability debuted in Kirby games, no sir, and Smash 64 came out in '99 so Copy Abilities came first!)
Plus now that I recall, I believe Smash Kirby was inspired by Melee specifically (As in some languages, "Smash" is replaced by "SSBM" or just "Super Smash Bros.") and Melee came out after 64, so that I know! :4pacman:

Now let's all cheer up and go get some Hot Cocoa sometime, our quarrel is (Hopefully) settled. We cool? Maybe? :4pacman:

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I just don't like how he initially went with the fetish aspect "Bare-foot". It repulses me.
I totally didn't read that as him promoting a fetish aspect. I thought he was just noting a fact; one of the first things I noticed about Corrin is that they weren't wearing shoes. Did he refer to it like a fetish in his video? I legit didn't watch it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's the definition, I'm talking about the actual way the word is used.

But whatever, you're not going to see reason. Don't come crying to me in 7 years if Inklings don't get in.
...The definition pretty much IS how the word is used.

I don't even have some sort of sentimental attachment to the Inklings so I wouldn't even be bummed out if they didn't get in. I don't even have Splatoon yet. :V

But you are acting as if they aren't likely at all and that Nintendo won't continue the series when it's quite clear they will. They've been supporting the game like crazy, it's been successful, and it has lots of merchandising already. They will have a sequel on NX, without a doubt.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
...The definition pretty much IS how the word is used.

I don't even have some sort of sentimental attachment to the Inklings so I wouldn't even be bummed out if they didn't get in. I don't even have Splatoon yet. :V

But you are acting as if they aren't likely at all and that Nintendo won't continue the series when it's quite clear they will. They've been supporting the game like crazy, it's been successful, and it has lots of merchandising already. They will have a sequel on NX, without a doubt.
You aren't understanding what I'm saying at all. Like, I've made it abundantly clear.

I never ONCE said they'll never make another Splatoon, I never ONCE said they'll never be in Smash. I specifically said a Splatoon game needs to come out within a year of the beginning of Smash 5's development, that gives them a 50/50 chance of making it in, they're far from the least likely character and they're far from the most likely character.

Next time you start an argument with someone, make sure you fully understand what they're saying before putting words in their mouth.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking of something related to a free-to-Smash. I got a rough idea of how a 28 character roster would look. 18 veteran available off the bat with 4 unlockables extra, 2 3rd parties and 4 newcomers.

Here's how I see it, include the original 12

Original 8

Mario Link
DK Yoshi
Fox Samus
Kirby Pikachu

Original Unlockables (Non-premium currency purchase only)

Luigi Jigglypuff
C.Falcon Ness

Then two from each successive game...

Melee

Bowser (Villain rep)
Marth (FE character)

Brawl

Pit (KI Rep)
Olimar (Only non-retro 1st party Brawl series bar Wario)

Smash 4

Villager (AC Rep)
WFT (The one you have to get)

And two veteran DLC characters who'd have some early purchase type deal going

Sonic (duh)
Mega/Pac-Man (either one depending on who's developing)

As for the Newcomers... in my opinion

Inkling (like the villager, obvious franchise absence)
Gen 7/8 Pokemon (It's the only constant)
Major character from Nintendo's lower-upper tier series (Any Smash 64 series besides the big three)
WTF/Retro character

As for pricing... that's another post.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You aren't understanding what I'm saying at all. Like, I've made it abundantly clear.

I never ONCE said they'll never make another Splatoon, I never ONCE said they'll never be in Smash. I specifically said a Splatoon game needs to come out within a year of the beginning of Smash 5's development, that gives them a 50/50 chance of making it in, they're far from the least likely character and they're far from the most likely character.

Next time you start an argument with someone, make sure you fully understand what they're saying before putting words in their mouth.
And none of that is still true. Patterns change, expectations get blown, all of the time.

However it's reasonable to think Splatoon would show up in the next Smash either way since it's a popular Nintendo IP. Keep that in mind, it's not the same as Fire Emblem characters, a series with multiple reps. We are talking a new franchise being added to Smash here, the dynamic is different.

I also like how you guys all assume Sakurai would be making the next Smash. When there is a chance he may not due to his health.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know? I'm actually starting to get excited for Bayonetta's inclusion. She seems really combo heavy and I'll try to see if she fits my playstyle or not!

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
And none of that is still true. Patterns change, expectations get blown, all of the time.

However it's reasonable to think Splatoon would show up in the next Smash either way since it's a popular Nintendo IP. Keep that in mind, it's not the same as Fire Emblem characters, a series with multiple reps. We are talking a new franchise being added to Smash here, the dynamic is different.

I also like how you guys all assume Sakurai would be making the next Smash. When there is a chance he may not due to his health.
I. Quit.

You don't see reason, you don't pay attention to the point of view, and you skimmed an article just to try to disprove one point when if you had actually read the whole thing you would see that Sakurai fully intends to direct the next Smash if there is one.

I'm done. Arguing with someone who refuses to believe anything but their own opinion is exhausting and pointless.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I. Quit.

You don't see reason, you don't pay attention to the point of view, and you skimmed an article just to try to disprove one point when if you had actually read the whole thing you would see that Sakurai fully intends to direct the next Smash if there is one.

I'm done. Arguing with someone who refuses to believe anything but their own opinion is exhausting and pointless.
You just described yourself, buddy.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
About all the saltiness....

I completely understand the rage over Corrin, but the people complaining about Bayonetta, saying she couldn't possibly have won the ballot are being really ridiculous.

Especially the ones talking about how she couldn't have beaten the likes of Isaac and Shantae. Because I honestly think there's no way they could've beaten her.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know? I'm actually starting to get excited for Bayonetta's inclusion. She seems really combo heavy and I'll try to see if she fits my playstyle or not!
Bayonetta is a love letter gameplay-wise to the competitive scene.
Combos aplenty
Fast-paced gameplay
Taunt Cancelling (But why would you even, gotta bust a move out there)
The ability to fire the Fox Lasers rapid-fire inbetween moves so you could abuse Hitstun if you play your cards right
I really think Bayo is guaranteed at least A- tier. :4pacman:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Mentioned this in the private Shulk convo earlier, but I though I would share:

Had four comments (two I deleted because of language) of people gloating on this article:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/06/case-against-bayonetta/

Not one commented on this article to celebrate or congratulate @Fumi Got SSB4 DLC Right! :

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/29/the-case-for-bayonettaspt1/

People are naturally jerks.
To be fair, a lot of people congratulated him here. But, yeah, gloaters can be turds when it's more than a playful jab. Oh, by the way, Blue was right. [jab jab]

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Mentioned this in the private Shulk convo earlier, but I though I would share:

Had four comments (two I deleted because of language) of people gloating on this article:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/06/case-against-bayonetta/

Not one commented on this article to celebrate or congratulate @Fumi Got SSB4 DLC Right! :

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/29/the-case-for-bayonettaspt1/

People are naturally jerks.
Such is the standard of human ego. In order to function, we must see ourselves as superior to everything else in existence. Thus, if anything is different from ourselves, be it in race, species, orientation, gender, or mere opinion, they are seen as naturally inferior. If they are the same as us, they are to be disregarded until we can find something that is different about them and thus see them as inferior and feel validated in our own ego.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I completely understand the rage over Corrin, but the people complaining about Bayonetta, saying she couldn't possibly have won the ballot are being really ridiculous.

Especially the ones talking about how she couldn't have beaten the likes of Isaac and Shantae. Because I honestly think there's no way they could've beaten her.
Shantae fans are really stupid sometimes. They act like their franchise was such a big deal despite them being a relatively niche series that Nintendo only recognizes for indie sakes and even then she's not really that indie.

Plus how awful Wayforward were during the ballot showed how much that it was just an awful experience of stupidity from fake IMBD leaks and cryptic tweets

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also, Bayonetta joins the British accent club along with Shulk and, in the European version, the Wii Fit Trainers.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I seriously would have voted for Bayonetta had I thought the sexualizaton wouldn't have been an issue. She probably would have been among my top picks.

Honestly, if Fates had come out worldwide when it did, I probably would have voted for a Fates character too. This is all just me of course, but y'know. Broken Record at this point.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
To be fair, a lot of people congratulated him here. But, yeah, gloaters can be turds when it's more than a playful jab. Oh, by the way, Blue was right. [jab jab]
Lol, I actually said in the article that I thought she would be an interesting character and had no issue with her.

It just didn't seem likely to me... so no salt for Bayonetta from me.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Why is everyone talking about Bayonetta? Pfft, as if she would EVER happen.

D

Deleted member

Finally caught up on One Punch Man and RWBY
OPM is OPM, pure sillyness and I love it :p
As for RWBY, I have to say though, its pacing is a little bad, I just finished volume 2 and only now does the plot seem to be picking up
Which I'm still confused about what it is
And was that a ****ing Wilhelm scream?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
You just described yourself, buddy.
Are you self-aware in the slightest?

I understand your side, I know that Splatoon 2 is possible and even likely, I know that Inklings in Smash are possible. But you are apparently incapable of taking the time to understand that I'm just keeping my expectations in check and not assuming that a character will get in with no ACTUAL PROOF of it. Learn to be open to the opinions of others.

Inklings are going to be your Ridley.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

She didn't rank very high in the fan polls, and the "silent casual majority" argument doesn't work with her since she's a rather niche character. So naturally people are confused.

Though I guess Sakurai's criteria for "realizable" could basically amount to "character I want to make".

Poots

Smash Journeyman
While I'm a little bummed that there are still characters I wanted to see, but I've accepted the fact long ago that, for something huge as Super Smash Bros., it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone in terms of roster, so my expectations were low to begin with. Even if you got a Smash game with over 200 characters, there would ALWAYS be someone that would claim a certain character is "missing", no matter what the roster contains.
I can understand that someone's favorite character may be "missing" from the roster, but I don't think that it's really a good enough reason to complain about it. If there is anyone out there who is legitimately upset with the current roster, including all DLC characters, it's not smash's or Sakurai's fault, it's theirs.

Smash has gotten to the point where if someone can't point at the screen and find at least one character they like then they're just being difficult. I might even go as far as to say that they just want to hate the game/Nintendo/Video games in general.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Why is it that all the characters I supported the most have the most obnoxious fans of the lot? Shantae, Geno, a FF character in general...

I guess it's like they say, the idiots always scream the loudest. (Not directed at anyone in particular with that.)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
She didn't rank very high in the fan polls, and the "silent casual majority" argument doesn't work with her since she's a rather niche character. So naturally people are confused.

Though I guess Sakurai's criteria for "realizable" could basically amount to "character I want to make".
Or there was one dude in estonia with several servers set up that were dedicated to botting votes for the past few months.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

He did say she was the #1 choice in Europe and in the top 5 in North America.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
SSB5 roster prediction

its weid the website just randomly posted a picture of the dead sea? now why would smashboards suddenly post a picture of the saltiest body of water on the planet?....mysteries we will never know the answer to i guess

Burb

The Absolute Worst

She's not as niche as Isaac and Shantae.

Shantae, in particular, is about as niche as you can possibly get outside of, say, an obscure Japan-only game from the NES days.

It's not about Bayonetta fans being a "silent casual majority". It's about Shantae and Isaac fans being a "loud obnoxious minority".

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Speaking of Bayonnaise
upload_2015-12-16_12-40-58.png

WE GOT THE AWESOME SONG, LADS
GOOD2GO :4pacman:
- - - - -
Also, albeit a bit late, 'grats to @Fumi Got SSB4 DLC Right! for getting the stuff right, you done did good
Too bad I got every part wrong except Lucas :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom