• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Getting offended by South Park is like finding a joke funny
That's the whole point of it
Yes, it does mean what you think it means. :p
Yaay, I found a new friend :p
Though now that I think about it, I remember you liking my parody status of ZeRo's tweet
You know which one :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Though now that I think about it, I remember you liking my parody status of ZeRo's tweet
Am I supposed to laugh and pose like Danny Devito, then say "what a classic analogy!"

I don't have to like it being offensive.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
pats your shoulder

It's not dark comedy it's just offensive.

I disagree, but if you feel that way, then thank you for being the first one not to ask for an explanation and/or yell at me.
Okay in all seriousness, I like the show because it's funny and is usually offensive in a saterical manner, not only thay but has childhood innocence involved with it's main characters. I like it because of it's situations. (But I admit it can go pretty far sometimes...)

Khoru

Smash Champion
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...Someone's whining about South Park being offensive? I stopped watching it due to not liking the direction of the newer seasons (overarching plot doesn't work for SP imo) but the charm is how SP keeps next to nothing sacred
"treating everything equally" isn't really the case in practice, particularly considering existing power structures combined with... confirmation bias is what i'm inclined to say here

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I disagree, but if you feel that way, then thank you for being the first one not to ask for an explanation and/or yell at me
I mean, thanks I guess but...

pats your shoulder
That's just condescending as all hell man. Don't treat the kid as some poor lost sheep because he like South Park.

I think the fandom will personally shoot me for saying South Park is bad
That's not a South Park exclusive problem.

We have people here on this site saying that about every Smash game.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Okay in all seriousness, I like the show because it's funny and is usually offensive in a saterical manner, not only thay but has childhood innocence involved with it's main characters. I like it because of it's situations. (But I admit it can go pretty far sometimes...)
I've said numerous times that I think it's just offensive, not so much dark comedy.

That's just condescending as all hell man.

Condescending? We make jokes here about waifus and that fun stuff all the time, but when I say "pats your shoulder" as a complete joke that's just crossing the line.

Also, Nintenzilla clearly didn't feel it was condescending and actually wrote a civil response.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Am I supposed to laugh and pose like Danny Devito, then say "what a classic analogy!"

You don't have to like it but you shouldn't hate on it because of its main point

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Anybody seen Rick and Morty? I heard that they're currently making a crossover with Gravity Falls (I'm not joking).
1) I find Rick and Morty absolutely terrible.
2) I fail to see Gravity Falls (personally one of the best shows in years) with a vastly different target audience to crossover with that show.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"treating everything equally" isn't really the case in practice, particularly considering existing power structures combined with... confirmation bias is what i'm inclined to say here
Thing is, it mocks everything. Hell, there was an episode about how Americans were terrified about terrorist attacks and SP mocked them and turned Osama Bin Laden into a Looney Tunes character, made shortly after 9/11 iirc. And it was positively received. I think Trey Parker's Jewish too.
A friend of mine who has asperges watched the episode that absolutely mocked it. He thought it was hilarious and I hadn't seen him laugh that hard ever since.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Wait till you see the train themed Sentai that'll probably get adapted after this new Dino Charge thing. At least the train themed Kamen Riders look cool
They might skip the train one.

They did it once before.

But dude, that's South Park. It's always been an offensive mess of a hilarious show but it hits it real because Matt and Trey don't sell out like some people.

I can see it not being entertaining or funny but saying I hate it because it's offensive is like saying I hate Dark Souls because it's hard.

It's supposed to be that way because it tries to offend EVERYONE

And that's mostly because the best form of comedy is laughing at yourself sometimes. It's why I like the Boondocks; it will sometimes insult my integrity of a black man but it does it out of satire than a political soapbox

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

They did it once before.

But dude, that's South Park. It's always been an offensive mess of a hilarious show but it hits it real because Matt and Trey don't sell out like some people.

I can see it not being entertaining or funny but saying I hate it because it's offensive is like saying I hate Dark Souls because it's hard.

And that's mostly because the best form of comedy is laughing at yourself sometimes. It's why I like the Boondocks; it will sometimes insult my integrity of a black man but it does it out of satire than a political soapbox
This is at least the 4th time someone has tried to convince me it's a masterpiece of a show because of how offensive it is.

I get it. I just disagree.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Condescending? We make jokes here about waifus and that fun stuff all the time, but when I say "pats your shoulder" as a complete joke that's just crossing the line.
When you make something a moral issue, jokes like that don't work...

At the same time, can't confirmation bias have the exact opposite effect? People looking for proof that it's bad finding proof?

Moreover, yeah we can't treat everyone equally because well... No one is actually equal (even twins are different in many ways) but if they are all treated the same in the context of the show (as in made fun of), is it really bad?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is at least the 4th time someone has tried to convince me it's a masterpiece of a show because of how offensive it is.

I get it. I just disagree.
I never said it was a masterpiece, it has its **** moments (trust me, anything that revolves around Stan is usually bad and I like Stan) I just said that you can find other reasons for hating it outside of it being 'offensive' when it always has been.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

They did it once before.

Actually, Go-Busters, the one they skipped, is apparently going to be a mid season upgrade for the current one

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
When you make something a moral issue, jokes like that don't work...

At the same time, can't confirmation bias have the exact opposite effect? People looking for proof that it's bad finding proof?

Moreover, yeah we can't treat everyone equally because well... No one is actually equal (even twins are different in many ways) but if they are all treated the same in the context of the show (as in made fun of), is it really bad?
What are you talking about? I said "pats your shoulder" to imply "i really disagree". And I'm not sure why you're getting up in arms about it if the person I said it to doesn't seem to mind.

I never said it was a masterpiece, it has its **** moments (trust me, anything that revolves around Stan is usually bad and I like Stan) I just said that you can find other reasons for hating it outside of it being 'offensive' when it always has been.
Okay, it's always been offensive. What's wrong with me hating it because of that?? I don't care if that's it's main premise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, I know, exactly which one. :p

Well, okay. Yeah, you don't have to like it. I mean, I haven't even watched much of it..... Except for the yaoi episode, because anything involivng male homosexuality is basically the bat signal for me. Don't take that the wrong way though, I didn't get offended by it at all, I thought it was pretty funny.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes, I know, exactly which one. :p

Well, okay. Yeah, you don't have to like it. I mean, I haven't even watched much of it..... Except for the yaoi episode, because anything involivng male homosexuality is basically the bat signal for me. Don't take that the wrong way though, I didn't get offended by it at all, I thought it was pretty funny.
Uh...okay, then.

Khoru

Smash Champion
You know what, I'm actually curious who's getting mad about SP being offensive *checks* Didn't this member say they were an SJW and was proud of it?
are we really going for ad hominem now
i would consider my views to be fairly similar to his

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What are you talking about? I said "pats your shoulder" to imply "i really disagree".
Patting a shoulder implies sympathy.

Sympathy implies that someone is worse off than you.

It's condescending.

Okay, it's always been offensive. What's wrong with me hating it because of that?? I don't care if that's it's main premise.
You have the right to not like it.

But you didn't do so at first.

You just bashed it.

You know what, I'm actually curious who's getting mad about SP being offensive *checks* Didn't this member say they were an SJW and was proud of it?
DON'T EVEN START ANNA LEARN NOT TO BE SPITEFUL LIKE THAT MY GOSH WHAT ARE YOU TWELVE?

GROW UP!

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Didn't this member I'm quoting right here rely on TVTropes for all their information, and ragequit when I told them that may not be the best source after civilly explaining everything, while they cursed at me and generally were an ignorant fool?

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So ****ing jelly that I don't have Super Mystery Dungeon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Champ Gold Champ Gold wait, you might be right. I remembered Toq-boner. It's getting skipped

It's condescending.

You just bashed it.

DON'T

EVEN

START

ANNA

LEARN

NOT

TO

BE

SPITEFUL

THAT

MY

GOSH

WHAT

ARE

YOU

TWELVE?

GROW UP!
are we really going for ad hominem now
i would consider my views to be fairly similar to his
I'm not trying to be spiteful or anything, if I were truly doing ad hominem, I can guarantee you I'd do worse than this. Geh...I hate causing misunderstandings

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

It's condescending.

You just bashed it.

DON'T EVEN START ANNA LEARN NOT TO BE SPITEFUL LIKE THAT MY GOSH WHAT ARE YOU TWELVE?

GROW UP!
Good point. It was uncalled for. I'm not backing down from my "pats your shoulder" stance but I apologise if I offended fans of the show.

And yes, I agree.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't this member I'm quoting right here rely on TVTropes for all their information, and ragequit when I told them that may not be the best source after civilly explaining everything, while they cursed at me and generally were an ignorant fool?
You stop too.

Frankly you two devolving into insults just shows that for as different as your opinions are...

You are both terrible at arguments because you both dislike people who disagree with you.

So either both of you shut up and grow up, or you both leave.

I'm not trying to be spiteful or anything, if I were truly doing ad hominem, I can guarantee you I'd do worse than this. Geh...I hate causing misunderstandings
You aren't helping your case Anna.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

That's just condescending as all hell man. Don't treat the kid as some poor lost sheep because he like South Park.

I want to say my true age so badly...
But I vowed never to say my age online since I was a kid...
So yeah...
(But seriously what kid would be able to modify their Wii to play Project M, as you can see I main Mewtwo)
*sigh*

IM STILL NOT CAUGHT UP
AND THE WORLD IS ENDING

****. well looks like Disney is dead to me again now that there is nothing to watch
Well... There's still Dog with a Blog... Right??? :lol:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sigh*

IM STILL NOT CAUGHT UP
AND THE WORLD IS ENDING

****. well looks like Disney is dead to me again now that there is nothing to watch
Star vs. The Forces of Evil is good tho
So there is that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You stop too.

Frankly you two devolving into insults just shows that for as different as your opinions are...

You are both terrible at arguments because you both dislike people who disagree with you.

So either both of you shut up, or you both leave.
I want to clarify right now, I wasn't intending for anything wrong, but just asking a genuine question. Like, I dunno, 'didn't X say they were gay?' or 'Didn't Y dislike apples?' or something. I apologize for coming off this way. To you, the other forum members, but to Luigi The President Luigi The President .

I wasn't trying to start something, so from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry for seeming spiteful. We might never be friends, but hopefully we can just end up not having to bother each other

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
http://shmalexsmirsch.tumblr.com/

Gravity Falls is ending soon, the next two episodes will be the one hour series finale.
I saw this coming but still:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
This should still be good, and I'm glad then can end it with all ends tied up. I look foward to seeing what happens. What's the P.S. Cryptogram translate to?
Also there are some cryptic things in this message that could relate to the future, and this works with my theory that if they did a rick and morty crossover, then it would work because they aren't on air anymore so it won't affect the show in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom