• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I sincerely doubt this will cause World War III.

Almost no one supports ISIS enough to stick their neck out for them.
No surprises there. They use Islam as an excuse to commit terrorism and **** girls, despite those actions going against the teaching of Islam about peace and not harming people.

Something odd I wanna point out before going to bed with the Smash Site
http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html
View attachment 83164View attachment 83166View attachment 83167
Roy and Lucas' descriptions seem to be promoting them returning to the fray
But Mewtwo's is not only ditching the whole Veteran Advertisement, but the "Grand Entrance" makes it seem like he's a Newcomer of all things. Not sure why.
I dunno. Just somethin' t' think aboot.
G'night, errybody. :drshrug:
Of course it would be this way. Roy and Lucas are only as well-known as they are because of Smash whereas Mewtwo is a hugely iconic character regardless of Smash. Roy and Lucas's veteran status being aknowledged makes sense because being in Smash is how they got popular as opposed to being characters who got in Smash because of fan demand unlike characters like Marth, Wolf, Wario, Mega Man, Bowser, Peach, Diddy Kong and Mewtwo.

Besides, those descriptions references them returning to Smash in general, not the specific games they come from.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Roy and Lucas's return to Smash 3DS/Wii U is basically because they're popular due to their inclusion in Smash, so it makes sense to highlight that. They returned as DLC because they were popular characters in the Smash Bros. games.

Mewtwo has popularity outside of Smash Bros., being one of the most iconic Pokémon ever so there's no need to emphasize that he was in a Smash game before. They can just advertise Mewtwo for DLC because he's Mewtwo. Yes, those who have played Melee will know he was in that game, but those who got into Smash Bros. through the latest game and don't know a lot about the previous Smash games can still see he's an iconic Nintendo character.

Also, I should note that the UK English website (and the other European sites except the Spanish one) list Mewtwo as a veteran in the news section.

While the "Roy and Lucas are the last veterans" theory has some merit, I still think there may be more veterans coming back just not with the same emphasis on being on previous games these two had. Those getting into Smash with this game will only see merit in these characters by virtue of being characters returning from previous Smash Bros. titles.

Snake could be marketed as being another iconic 3rd party character and Wolf could easily tie into something related to Star Fox Zero (mainly in regards to marketing). They're characters popular for their games' respective fans.

Likewise, Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle wouldn't need a lot of emphasis on their past Smash Bros. appearances due to being part of the huge Pokémon franchise. As for the Ice Climbers' hypothetical return, they would possibly have the emphasis on their appearances in both Melee and Brawl because they aren't popular characters outside of Smash.

All in all, I think the emphasis on Roy and Lucas being veterans may be just a marketing ploy. It works for veteran players because they're returning characters and it works for newer players because they'll know they were part of the Smash series before rather than just being obscure characters coming from nowhere, which may entice their curiosity.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Street Fighter and Final Fantasy return for Smash 5 what Assist trophies should they have?

I'm thinking Blanka or Zangief for Street Fighter
As for Final Fantasy it depends on whether it's Final Fantasy in general or just numero 7. So Black Mage or Tifa.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Street Fighter and Final Fantasy return for Smash 5 what Assist trophies should they have?

As for Final Fantasy it depends on whether it's Final Fantasy in general or just numero 7. So Black Mage or Tifa.
Bahamut, Shiva and Ifrit as the AT's

Chrono.

Deathgaze AT: Casts Lv 5 Death and auto KOs anyone with a 5 in their %.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
honestly with the smash and splatoon bundle AND mario maker wiiu christmas purchases are really looking up

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Where's mah Chun Li AT?

Also, Diablos and Doomtrain would be great~

D

Deleted member

Magic Master from FFVI: blocks all non-magic based moves
Tellah from FFIV: says his catchphrase and uses Meteo
Kain from FFIV: KOes the player who summoned him

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Chunners for SF, of course! I got a bit bummed when I learned that she wasn't included on Ryu's DLC. :T

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
For Zelda U, that could be like winter....

They need more than just those two...
They still have pokken and #FE they can try to push for big games on Wii u

Chun-li and Tifa if they picked anyone else It just wouldn't make sense

Last edited by a moderator:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
now mii costumes you know what i want? dragon quest costumes
Brawler: Alena (DQ4), Morrie (DQ8)
Swordfighter: Erdrick (DQ1), Ragnar (DQ4), Angelo (DQ8)
misc: Slime hat

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Roy and Lucas's return to Smash 3DS/Wii U is basically because they're popular due to their inclusion in Smash, so it makes sense to highlight that. They returned as DLC because they were popular characters in the Smash Bros. games.

Mewtwo has popularity outside of Smash Bros., being one of the most iconic Pokémon ever so there's no need to emphasize that he was in a Smash game before. They can just advertise Mewtwo for DLC because he's Mewtwo. Yes, those who have played Melee will know he was in that game, but those who got into Smash Bros. through the latest game and don't know a lot about the previous Smash games can still see he's an iconic Nintendo character.

Also, I should note that the UK English website (and the other European sites except the Spanish one) list Mewtwo as a veteran in the news section.

While the "Roy and Lucas are the last veterans" theory has some merit, I still think there may be more veterans coming back just not with the same emphasis on being on previous games these two had. Those getting into Smash with this game will only see merit in these characters by virtue of being characters returning from previous Smash Bros. titles.

Snake could be marketed as being another iconic 3rd party character and Wolf could easily tie into something related to Star Fox Zero (mainly in regards to marketing). They're characters popular for their games' respective fans.

Likewise, Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle wouldn't need a lot of emphasis on their past Smash Bros. appearances due to being part of the huge Pokémon franchise. As for the Ice Climbers' hypothetical return, they would possibly have the emphasis on their appearances in both Melee and Brawl because they aren't popular characters outside of Smash.

All in all, I think the emphasis on Roy and Lucas being veterans may be just a marketing ploy. It works for veteran players because they're returning characters and it works for newer players because they'll know they were part of the Smash series before rather than just being obscure characters coming from nowhere, which may entice their curiosity.
I think you make a good point, but you need to remember that Sakurai has total control over the commercials, trailers, and how the characters are presented on the SmashBros website. He got over 100 hours of footage for a 6 second clip in a commercial, and still wasn't happy with what he had (Chris Pranger podcast). Therefore, Sakurai wants to represent the characters the way he chooses, and I think his selection criteria is evident through the way he presented the characters.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Cloud's Trailer is up on Youtube n' junk in all it's official goodness
Go nuts

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If all 6 third parties got expanded to 4 characters (including Metal Gear Returning) what would you want them to be? Remember that Pac-Man also covers the Namco Arcade series in general, Mega Man includes the edgier sub series, and Cloud covers all of Final Fantasy (but not Dragon Quest or Super Mario RPG, sorry Geno fans)

My list would be

Metal Gear: Solid Snake, Raiden, METAL GEAR V SPOILERS:
Big Boss (Naked Snake), Big Boss (Venom Snake)
Sonic: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman
Mega Man: Maga Man, Roll, Proto Man, Zero
Pac-Man: Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Valkire, Bravo Man
Street Fighter: Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, M. Bison
Final Fantasy: Cloud, Cecil, Black Mage, Lightning

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think you make a good point, but you need to remember that Sakurai has total control over the commercials, trailers, and how the characters are presented on the SmashBros website. He got over 100 hours of footage for a 6 second clip in a commercial, and still wasn't happy with what he had (Chris Pranger podcast). Therefore, Sakurai wants to represent the characters the way he chooses, and I think his selection criteria is evident through the way he presented the characters.
Well, I know Sakurai is very picky on the way he handles his own games.

Though I fail to see how your point in that post.

The wording he used in the E3 Direct is ambiguous in regards to whether or not Lucas and Roy are the last returning veterans. He literally just said they were returning characters from Brawl and Melee respectively and were popular characters among the non-returning veterans.

That itself doesn't imply that there won't be anymore veterans. It could happen? Yes, it could, but I don't see how Sakurai's words were a direct implication there won't be any more veteran characters.

Sakurai said: "Of the many fighters from past versions, I hope fans are happy to have back these two that were particularly popular." He's just saying that he picked two popular characters out of those from previous games. That's all there is to it. I think people are reading too much into things (as usual).

The statement is ambiguous enough that it could mean he either picked those characters for the entire DLC or for that particular wave.

Well, I guess it's best to wait until December. I'm hoping to see both veterans and newcomers for the next wave. There is as much demand for new characters as there is for returning characters, after all.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My current ORAS Nuzlocke team is:

Alakazam
Shiny Gyarados
Rhydon
Medicham
Magnezone
Vileplume

Yeah. I think I might be successful this time around.

Seriously, the difficulty level in Gen 6 games is weak.

I'm gonna go back and Nuzlocke Gen 4.
inb4 you get swept by the champion.

But in all seriousness I'm sincerely hoping they fix the easy difficulty in Z. Even if it's something like a difficulty setting, I hoping they make it hard. I remember when I was little getting to the Elite Four was hard. When my sister made it to Lucian in Platinum I came over and watched her because I'd never made it that far. (She lost btw) I never actually beat Platinum until much later, and that's why it was so great when I finally beat it. Pokemon games nowadays are jokes. The only way to make them difficult is through hacking, and that's about it. For people without the ability to hack, they'll have to suck it up and put up with the easy difficulty of the normal games. It's all unfortunate really. Let's hope Z manages to provide an actual challenge.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So the tradional fighting game with the biggest roster right now is KoF 2002 UM clocking at 66.

Followed by TTT2 and MvC2.

But if you wanna count Smash as a traditional fighter than its at third place ATM.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just noticed that all Nintendo Directs that featured Iwata were removed from the Japanese Nintendo website and YouTube channel.

Same doesn't happen with the international sites, though.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Asking for him to be in Smash is a pretty tall order, and the support he has is nowhere near the level it was back in the days of Brawl. I think people should scale it down a bit and ask for something a little more reasonable. A Mii costume, an appearance in a Mario-specific spinoff, or a return in an actual Mario RPG game would have a better chance of happening, I believe.
Makes me curious what types of metrics they actually use to determine of development on a character is worth the investment, besides alleged popularity based on internet noise, legal red tape, and what Sakurai thinks is neat.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Anyone else still mindblown by Cloud getting in Smash?

I...I just can't believe it's happening...

Also, HUGE props to Sakurai-san for somehow keeping Cloud from any leaking...maybe because no one would believe a leaker that says Cloud's in?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well, I know Sakurai is very picky on the way he handles his own games.

Though I fail to see how your point in that post.

The wording he used in the E3 Direct is ambiguous in regards to whether or not Lucas and Roy are the last returning veterans. He literally just said they were returning characters from Brawl and Melee respectively and were popular characters among the non-returning veterans.

That itself doesn't imply that there won't be anymore veterans. It could happen? Yes, it could, but I don't see how Sakurai's words were a direct implication there won't be any more veteran characters.

Sakurai said: "Of the many fighters from past versions, I hope fans are happy to have back these two that were particularly popular." He's just saying that he picked two popular characters out of those from previous games. That's all there is to it. I think people are reading too much into things (as usual).

The statement is ambiguous enough that it could mean he either picked those characters for the entire DLC or for that particular wave.

Well, I guess it's best to wait until December. I'm hoping to see both veterans and newcomers for the next wave. There is as much demand for new characters as there is for returning characters, after all.
それぞれの作品に出演で可能なかったらのファイターの中では、特に人気だったと確定なのでうれしい人が多いのではないかと思います。
Out of all the characters that could not come back, we confirmed that these [two] were popular, so I think there will be a lot of people happy [to see them back].

Is what Sakurai says (Unless, I missed some particles or something).

I think の中で is a strong implication that these two were chosen to represent the veterans. It's still possible that more will come back, but I don't think they will be the main part of DLC development (maybe something at the end, if they have extra time).

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Question, does anybody know who Sora is owned by, I ask this because he's making an appearance in Dissida 012 along with Roxas, so wouldn't that mean he's owned by Square if they're aloud to use him in that game?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Question, does anybody know who Sora is owned by, I ask this because he's making an appearance in Dissida 012 along with Roxas, so wouldn't that mean he's owned by Square if they're aloud to use him in that game?
I don't think Disney has any ownership over Sora; I think they just give Square the ability to use Disney stuff in KH.

If he's confirmed for Disney Infinity, however, feel free to happily claim how wrong I was.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If all 6 third parties got expanded to 4 characters (including Metal Gear Returning) what would you want them to be? Remember that Pac-Man also covers the Namco Arcade series in general, Mega Man includes the edgier sub series, and Cloud covers all of Final Fantasy (but not Dragon Quest or Super Mario RPG, sorry Geno fans)

My list would be

:4cloud: Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior of light
:4sonic: Knuckles, Tails, Dr. Eggman
:4ryu:Chun-li, Akuma, Ken
:4megaman: Zero, Bass, Protoman
:4pacman: Dig dug, Mappy, Ms. pac-man
:snake: Raiden, Grey fox, idk

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
:4cloud: Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior of light
:4sonic: Knuckles, Tails, Dr. Eggman
:4ryu:Chun-li, Akuma, Ken
:4megaman: Zero, Bass, Protoman
:4pacman: Dig dug, Mappy, Ms. pac-man
:snake: Raiden, Grey fox, idk
Those two aren't Pac-Man characters though... (Dig-Dug would be so hype tho)

Chrono.

Uhm, no.

Dissidia 012 came out years ago and if you mean the Dissidia Arcade game, there's only FF characters there.

With the only new characters so far being FF14's Y'Shtola and FFTactics' Ramza.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
:snake:: Raiden, Gray Fox, Psycho Mantis
:4sonic:: Tails, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman
:4megaman:: Bass, Zero, Tron Bonne
:4pacman:: Mappy, Dig Dug, Don-chan
:4ryu:: Ken, Chun-Li, Akuma
:4cloud:: Ninja, Black Mage, Cactuar (why not?)

D

Deleted member

I think people overreact how easier the Pokemon games are nowadays
The games are easier, yes(even without Gen 6's EXP Share), but not because it's just easier
With newer gens, more moves, Pokemon and such get introduced, allowing for more options that make certain challenges more accessible
And another is the fact that us players are more aware of type mafchups and moveset builds
Because I doubt any of us had coverage moves

Though there are Pokemkn games that are hard for the wrong reasons
Such as the Johto games and the ****ing level curve
Or Platinum with underleveled Pokemon

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
When I (re-)played Pokémon Y recently, I did it without attacking any wild Pokémon (or catching any extras for EXP), with "Set" battle mode rather than "Switch", and without Exp. Share enabled. The difficulty curve was surprisingly fair until the post-game rival fight. Freaking Mega Absol. I can't imagine those extra constraints would work with a Nuzlocke run, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When I (re-)played Pokémon Y recently, I did it without attacking any wild Pokémon (or catching any extras for EXP), with "Set" battle mode rather than "Switch", and without Exp. Share enabled. The difficulty curve was surprisingly fair until the post-game rival fight. Freaking Mega Absol. I can't imagine those extra constraints would work with a Nuzlocke run, though.
Well, there is only one way to find out
*2 minutes later*
Rip me
Here lies Zoroarking
Died of Nuzlocke

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Out of all the characters that could not come back, we confirmed that these [two] were popular, so I think there will be a lot of people happy [to see them back].

Is what Sakurai says (Unless, I missed some particles or something).

I think の中で is a strong implication that these two were chosen to represent the veterans. It's still possible that more will come back, but I don't think they will be the main part of DLC development (maybe something at the end, if they have extra time).
Well, can't argue with that. It's still your interpretation nonetheless, so I'd like to think nothing is set in stone yet.

He's still just saying that he picked those two out of the characters that didn't return. Again, whether he means he picked them for all of DLC or for that wave in particular isn't clarified.

If other veterans prove to be popular through the ballot, I think they could be chosen as well along with newcomers.

Once again, all that's left to do is waiting. I don't think it would've been wise to release all the DLC veterans in one go anyway. I still think Wolf and maybe Snake have their chance to return.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

My list would be

With the possible exception of Sonic, I think I'd much rather just have new franchise reps from those companies. Too many Snakes in your Metal Gear list, though. Give me Revolver Ocelot or something, lol.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

My list would be

:snake:: Raiden, Armstrong, Ocelot
:4sonic:: Tails, Knuckles, Eggman
:4megaman:: Zero, Bass, Proto Man
:4pacman:: Spooky, Dig-Dug, Valkire
:4ryu:: Chun-Li, M. Bison, Guile
:4cloud:: Kefka, Vivi, Auron

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think people overreact how easier the Pokemon games are nowadays
The games are easier, yes(even without Gen 6's EXP Share), but not because it's just easier
With newer gens, more moves, Pokemon and such get introduced, allowing for more options that make certain challenges more accessible
And another is the fact that us players are more aware of type mafchups and moveset builds
Because I doubt any of us had coverage moves

Though there are Pokemkn games that are hard for the wrong reasons
Such as the Johto games and the ****ing level curve
Or Platinum with underleveled Pokemon
Here's the issue people have with it including me. It was never about difficulty because Pokemon was easy as hell since Gen 1

It's the issue that there nothing to do in those games and that anything extra or post game content is ignored for more focused on multiplayer but that ****ed due to GF not balancing Pokemon's stats but balancing it by adding gimmicks, types and newer evolutions.

You wanna know why people praise Emerald, HG/SS & Gen 5? Because of the extra stuff you get to do along side the multiplayer aspect without shafting one for the other. I can do a bunch of unique stuff and events post-game that isn't just 'catch other legendary Pokemon, an stupid event to catch a legendary that should have been available already and bike simulator'

Rematch Gym Leaders, trainers, Elite 4/Champion, Rivals actually being competent in their training and getting better, Battle Frontier/World Tournament and secret fights like Cynthia in B/W, Alder's Son in B/W2, Steven Stone in Emerald (since Wallace was a champion in that game) and in HG/SS case a much better Kanto, Lance and Clair team up, catching legendaries from past games, revamped Elite 4 and Lance with a much stronger team and the fight with :pt:.

It's why people want more games like Collesium/XD, games where it actually IS an RPG instead of a multiplayer game that has RPG elements.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I sense we're getting Shantae in the near future... As our last third-party character...

Chrono.

My list would be

:4sonic:: Tails, Knuckles, Eggman
:snake:: Raiden, Gray Fox, Big Boss
:4pacman:: Valkyrie, Dig Dug, Druaga
:4megaman:: Roll, Zero, Bass.exe or Vile
:4ryu:: Ken, Chun-li, Bison
:4cloud:: Vivi, Onion Knight/Luneth, Cecil

Status