• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
pokebank is your friend when it comes to this
EDIT this was an accident

That's what I use Pokebank for
Red n' Green said:
older pokemon games

Either way, my 5 dollars is better used on other things. I don't play pokemon that much to begin with, anyway.

EDIT: Also...

RIP Queen Elizabeth II
RIP Abraham Lincoln
RIP Chun-Li Kid
RIP Pickaxe

Only six people left.
PICKAAAAAAAAAXEEEEE

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RAID A PIRATE, THAT'S SUICIDE

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't get how, at this point in the MCU, there are still people who get up and leave as soon as the credits come down.

I mean , i could see some people just not caring, but still.
I never really got into the whole Nuzlocke thing.

It seems just a little bit overdone, but it's definitely a fun way to get a little bit more life out of your games.
I never Nuzlocke either. IDC really that the games are to easy or whatever.

Last edited:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Edit: Never mind, never mind, I feel like I'll get another warning for this, I don't wanna risk it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As long as your Pokemon has more than 40 HP, it "will" survive Dragon Rage.
The problem is having a Pokemon that can survive at least 2 hits at that point in the game
Switching will just make the switched in Pokemon receive damage, so unless it has >80HP, you just wasted a turn
It's a heal fest until Dragon Rage runs out if you can't counter it or hope the AI uses a weak move
You and zoroarking would be buds

Already at the second gym. Also need to know where I can easily find a moonstone, but in general, wonderlocke is being good
Reflection Cave has one
Otherwise, Pickup ability and wild Clefairies and Lunatones that may hold it
I never really got into the whole Nuzlocke thing.

It seems just a little bit overdone, but it's definitely a fun way to get a little bit more life out of your games.

I don't like how you gotta just delete your save file on older games to just do one, there's some pokemon you worked hard on and you don't want them to go the waste, you know...?
Trade or transfer them to another game? Like, it's not that hard to do it, besides, who does just one playthrough of the game?
I don't get how, at this point in the MCU, there are still people who get up and leave as soon as the credits come down.

I mean , i could see some people just not caring, but still.

I never Nuzlocke either. IDC really that the games are to easy or whatever.
It adds a layer of challenge you don't normally have in a Pokemon game
Permadeath means that you can't just throw your Pokemon at anything without thinking and losing a Pokemon has a bigger impact
The catching rule makes you use Pokemon that you wouldn't normally do and and could help you to appreciate some Pokemon you hate
Finally, it makes you care even more for those pixels in your screen, after all, once they faint, they're(technically) gone and there's a high probability it's your own damn fault

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Trade or transfer them to another game? Like, it's not that hard to do it, besides, who does just one playthrough of the game?
This guy. Never really had a reason to play a pokemon game after the postgame. The competitive aspect or filling the pokedex or whatever doesn't interest me that much.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It adds a layer of challenge you don't normally have in a Pokemon game
Yeah but as I said, I don't really care about the challenge.

Besides, I've seen what happens when Pokemon fans try to make the games 'more challenging...' *cough* Ruby Destiny *cought*

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem is having a Pokemon that can survive at least 2 hits at that point in the game
Switching will just make the switched in Pokemon receive damage, so unless it has >80HP, you just wasted a turn
It's a heal fest until Dragon Rage runs out if you can't counter it or hope the AI uses a weak move
I still remember those times when the CPU constantly spammed Yawn. I've been forced to switch my Pokemon until my opponent used a different move.

The CPU's AI is definitely flawed there, since Yawn always fails after it makes its target drowsy.

In some similar scenarios, I may find myself constantly switching Pokemon, because my opponent constantly spammed accuracy reducing moves like Sand-Attack.

But the one thing that can really be a nuisance is whenever my opponent uses moves that lower my Pokemon's speed, especially when it's a Pokemon that's heavily speed reliant.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This guy. Never really had a reason to play a pokemon game after the postgame. The competitive aspect or filling the pokedex or whatever doesn't interest me that much.
You don't want to play through again to try out different pokemon?

That's usually where the replay value lies with all the different pokemon...Nuzlockes actually help with this as it limits your options and sometimes even forces you to try different pokemon...its about getting the most out of your game...plus the extra challenge is fun...

I fell in love with pokemon like Roserade and Misagius during a Nuzlocke...

Of course if its not your cup'a tea then it can't be helped...

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

That's usually where the replay value lies with all the different pokemon...Nuzlockes actually help with this as it limits your options and sometimes even forces you to try different pokemon...its about getting the most out of your game...plus the extra challenge is fun...

Well, I'm not saying I don't just walk around and do things sometimes, I just rather'd not restart the game from scratch and do it all again since there's not much of a point to me.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well, I'm not saying I don't just walk around and do things sometimes, I just rather'd not restart the game from scratch and do it all again since there's not much of a point to me.
I mean...it's no different than restarting any game from scratch and playing it again, especially other RPGs...but if you're not even going for completion or competitive team building then that's something I don't see much point in...since that just gives you a whole lot less to do with the game once you complete the story and post-game...

I guess I'd understand if you had a shiny you didn't want to lose or something but otherwise...

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I mean...it's no different than restarting any game from scratch and playing it again, especially other RPGs...but if you're not even going for completion or competitive team building then that's something I don't see much point in...since that just gives you a whole lot less to do with the game once you complete the story and post-game...

I guess I'd understand if you had a shiny you didn't want to lose or something but otherwise...
Well, partly. Shinies are very important to me.

But the other part is that Pokemon's plot kind of is just stale for me. They've done the same thing so many times, then I don't see why I should play again after the first time.

I know the game deviates the plot sometimes, but it always seems to me, "Evil group wants to destroy the world, you stop them, you go to E4, you become champion". I know it's about the adventure and all that, but it really is just not for me. It's fine if you like replaying it, tho, I don't mind.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to assume you never played XY again after beating Diantha
Yeah but as I said, I don't really care about the challenge.

Besides, I've seen what happens when Pokemon fans try to make the games 'more challenging...' *cough* Ruby Destiny *cought*
It can be more for the emotional value and different Pokemon than the challenge
But if you don't like it, then do your thing
I still remember those times when the CPU constantly spammed Yawn. I've been forced to switch my Pokemon until my opponent used a different move.

The CPU's AI is definitely flawed there, since Yawn always fails after it makes its target drowsy.

In some similar scenarios, I may find myself constantly switching Pokemon, because my opponent constantly spammed accuracy reducing moves like Sand-Attack.

But the one thing that can really be a nuisance is whenever my opponent uses moves that lower my Pokemon's speed, especially when it's a Pokemon that's heavily speed reliant.
It's funny because it ends up being an accidentally good AI, as if it was reading your actions and expecting a switch :p

Nuzlockes certainly helped me fall in love to the Marill line, which I hated before
Though this story didn't end happily ;_;

But the other part is that Pokemon's plot kind of is just stale for me. They've done the same thing so many times, then I don't see why I should play again after the first time.

I know the game deviates the plot sometimes, but it always seems to me, "Evil group wants to destroy the world, you stop them, you go to E4, you become champion". I know it's about the adventure and all that, but it really is just not for me. It's fine if you like replaying it, tho, I don't mind.
But we're talking about replaying the same game, of course the story is going to be the same
Besides, you're playing the wrong game if you want plot

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Like I said the replayability lies within the pokemon you catch...if you're focused on the plot then you don't really have a reason to play any pokemon game because of how similar they are...

I just find the game becomes even more stale if there's no progression, especially if you're not team building or completing the dex, because now you're basically just floating along...

This is why I get both versions usually, so I have one where I restart and replay and another where I go for completion and team building, and perhaps shiny hunting if I find the patience for it...I play both enough to get my money's worth...the 3DS games make it easy to transfer pokes to the other version so I don't lose any shinies I catch or whatever...I don't even need poke-bank to do it either

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Besides, you're playing the wrong game if you want plot
Eh, everyone plays a game for different reasons, you know?

I did say that I like Shiny Hunting and Scavenger Hunting.

I dunno, it's been a really long while since I played any Pokemon game...

I may just pick one up again later and do a nuzlocke and see for myself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's funny because it ends up being an accidentally good AI, as if it was reading your actions and expecting a switch :p
Still, the AI doesn't always have the best intelligence. It may only attack your Pokemon with super effective attacks, and yet the more accurate attacks that deal neutral or not very effective damage can actually finish the job with less risk of missing.

Also, neutral damage attacks can actually pack a bigger punch than the super effective attacks when you pay close attention to the power differences. For an example, an Infernape can deal more damage to Flying-types with a STABbed Flare Blitz (120 * 1.5 = 180) than with a super effective Thunder Punch (75 * 2 = 150).

D

Deleted member

Still, the AI doesn't always have the best intelligence. It may only attack your Pokemon with super effective attacks, and yet the more accurate attacks that deal neutral or not very effective damage can actually finish the job with less risk of missing.

Also, neutral damage attacks can actually pack a bigger punch than the super effective attacks when you pay close attention to the power differences. For an example, an Infernape can deal more damage to Flying-types with a STABbed Flare Blitz (120 * 1.5 = 180) than with a super effective Thunder Punch (75 * 2 = 150).
I was specifically refferring to the AI's use of Yawn though
Also, it will use weaker moves sometimes to finish weakened Pokemon(I clearly remember Clemont's Emolga using Aerial Ace to finish my Magneton) even if the other move would deal more damage

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was specifically refferring to the AI's use of Yawn though
Also, it will use weaker moves sometimes to finish weakened Pokemon(I clearly remember Clemont's Emolga using Aerial Ace to finish my Magneton) even if the other move would deal more damage
It would make more sense if it was an increased priority attack that was being used; an example would be if you used Mach Punch to finish off a Psychic-type Pokemon. Of course, you must also think about preserving the PPs for your strongest attacks as well, especially if the opponent has the Pressure ability.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We can all admit that the Substitute doll is kawaii as ****.

I do wonder what sparked its relatively recent popularity. I mean, the doll's been around for quite a while. Is it because it's become more noticeable with the series jump to 3D?

Well, better late than never, I suppose. I'll admit always liked the little fella, so seeing it getting more recognition is a good thing.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
We can all admit that the Substitute doll is kawaii as ****.

I do wonder what sparked its relatively recent popularity. I mean, the doll's been around for quite a while. Is it because it's become more noticeable with the series jump to 3D?

Well, better late than never, I suppose. I'll admit always liked the little fella, so seeing it getting more recognition is a good thing.
I have a feeling it was this.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom