• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My all-time favorite types has always been Electric and Fighting.

Still haven't seen a Fighting/Electric type yet.

Unless it's from Gen 4 and I missed it somehow.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason I had a strange bias against electric types for a while because of the over saturation of pikachu before I realized that one of my favorite pokemon was electric and I had used electric pokemon in nearly every generation

Zapdos, Ampharos, Luxray, Eelektross

Well, 4 electric types

In gen 3 I didn't use an electric type, and in gen 6 I used Ampharos again

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/fun.html
What pokemon type are you guys?I got Flying!
I got Dragon, that's pretty fitting for me since a lot of my favorite Pokémon tend to be Dragons (or Electric, so no surprise that Mega Ampharos and Zekrom are very high on my list).

Really, hoenn? The dorky super hero dragon and the cartoon aviator?
Did you just insult my dragons Psycho? I'm not afraid to take an eye out my good sir.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not really a fan of gen 3 regardless

Gen 4 had a lot of better ideas

Including it's dragon

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know if I really have a favorite Type.
If I had to pick it'd most likely be either Steel, Poison, Ghost, or Ground. But I don't think I have a definite type I adore.

I'm not really a fan of gen 3 regardless

Gen 4 had a lot of better ideas

Including it's dragon
Gen 3 I feel was one of those awkward times in Pokemon's history. You have Gen I and Gen II that are beloved to death, how could you possibly top them?
And to their credit they tried sure, but it didn't have as big of an impact as let's say Gold and Silver or Red and Blue.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know if I really have a favorite Type.
If I had to pick it'd most likely be either Steel, Poison, Ghost, or Ground. But I don't think I have a definite type I adore.

Gen 3 I feel was one of those awkward times in Pokemon's history. You have Gen I and Gen II that are beloved to death, how could you possibly top them?
And to their credit they tried sure, but it didn't have as big of an impact as let's say Gold and Silver or Red and Blue.
I feel like a lot of people that played pokemon in red blue/ silver gold skipped over gen 3.

I did, and I heard about a lot of other people that did.

For various reasons. Including the fact by that age people started making fun of others that played pokemon. It became unpopular

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I feel like a lot of people that played pokemon in red blue/ silver gold skipped over gen 3.

I did, and I heard about a lot of other people that did.

For various reasons. Including the fact by that age people started making fun of others that played pokemon. It became unpopular
Yeah I can see that. I don't think it was 'till Gen 4/5 that Pokemon became "cool" again.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Electric is one of my least favourite types...not because I dislike it, I just don't care for it as much despite the fact that it has only one weakness and it includes pokemon like Jolteon, Galvantula, Ampharos, and Heliolisk...

Dragon is indeed my favourite type though...Salamence being my favourite dragon! and second favourite pokemon! Period!

Salamence is the embodiment of what it means to never give up on your dreams!

How can you not like that?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here're my problems with Hoenn:
- If you don't choose Torchic, you're fairly SOL for a fire type. (Torkoal, Camerupt, Macargo, or Ninetails).
- The entire last third of the game is spent on the water and there's just far too much gr-- sea to cover. This is after taking down the long stretch from petalberg to slateport which is probably more sea travel than southwest hoenn and johto combined by ITSELF.
- Because of this, you have abysmal type diversity in opponents for most of the span between the 6th gym and Victory Road. Surfers and Team X Grunts.
- The last stretch of the "story" is just flying around to hit flags for where the team currently is until you finally track them down at the seafloor cavern.
- For this last third, you're stuck with HM Dive, in which your movement is even more sluggish.
- Having to get a relicanth and wailord for the Regis.
- Altaria

Here're my problems with Sinnoh:
- Defog
- God the game just feels /slow/ especially with the prolonged animations for Pokemon entering. Just like in general animation duration and such.
- "Oh man our 3rd rock gym to start out of 4 gens."
- In D/P, if you don't choose Chimchar, your ONLY option for a fire type is Rapidash
- Super Contests making Contests even worse by giving you two filler things to start.
- In D/P, one of the elite four is using A DUSTOX AND BEAUTIFLY.
- Buneary's a happiness evo that starts at 0 happiness.
- Most of the best pokemon of the gen are evos of past 'mons and you CAN'T GET MOST OF THEM IN D/P.
- The path up to Snowpoint.
- The marshy routes.
- Looker.
- Bronzong.
- Worst fossil mons in the series.
- The isolated island was a massive disappointment of a "postgame."

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Until Archen ceases to exist, I refuse to see any other Fossil Mon that could be considered worse.
What is with Game Freak and giving crappy abilities to Pokemon that don't need them?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My Problems with Gen 3:
-Rock Smash is now an HM (seriously why?)
-Downgrade from Gen 2 in terms of post-game and variety of Pokemon
-lack of backwards compatibility with previous gens...
-No more Day and Night and in game clock was literally only for the tides in Shoal Cave
-Luvdisc is still useless outside of Heart Scale farming
-Finding a Feebas X_X
-Plusle and Minun
-Pelipper (**** this toilet bird)
-Volbeat and Illumise

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yo. As someone who has the biggest nostalgia fueled experience of Gen III. Imma say this. Pelliper is one of the few things I hate about Gen III. And it's a widely disliked pokemon from what I heard
You are also dumb.

Peliper is awesome.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You have bad taste and you should scrape your taste buds off because they clearly don't work.
Bad taste? No. Bad Experiences? Yes.

Supersonic-confusion is one of the reasons why people dislike Zubat and of course Pelipper gets supersonic...and Water Pulse which can also confuse you...getting confused is annoying as it is...

Stockpile/Spit Up/Swallow-just prolongs the battle when I'm trying to kill things quickly...

Triple Protects...EVERY...SINGLE...****ING....TIME!!!!!

Grinding was hard enough in Gen 3 I didn't need some damned toilet bird wasting my PP making me go to the Pokemon Center more often than I needed to...and unlike the Zubat line it's design wasn't good enough to stop me from hating it...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No one was offended though. Saying "This doesn't fit her character" isn't "This offends me"

People who claim "I don't like/agree" means "I'm offended" are delusional
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the most noteworthy complaint about the butt include "I don't want my daughter to adopt this pose as it's too sexy" or something along the lines of that? From what I saw of Tracer it fits fine. Then again, the jew pose fits better as Tracy is supposed to be a loveable goofball
You are also dumb.

Peliper is awesome.
>Claims I'm dumb
>Spells Pelipper wrong
When I used this thing, I had a bad time

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the most noteworthy complaint about the butt include "I don't want my daughter to adopt this pose as it's too sexy" or something along the lines of that? From what I saw of Tracer it fits fine. Then again, the jew pose fits better as Tracy is supposed to be a loveable goofball

>Claims I'm dumb
>Spells Pelipper wrong
When I used this thing, I had a bad time
I want their daughter's to adopt that pose

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have an odd relationship when it comes to Gen 3 and 4. While many left with Gen 3, I stuck with it and loved it, and despite its flaws that I will admit to, I still look back on it fondly even though a lot of my friends jumped ship at the time. With Gen 4, it didn't grab me as much as I felt the flaws it had prevented me from really enjoying it and I ended up losing some interest as a result. After replaying it recently, I feel better about it now then I did then since I do appreciate what it did right, but it's still not a favorite of mine even with that in mind.

With the Pokémon, it's pretty much the same as I tend to look more fondly on Hoenn's Pokémon as I like a lot of the designs and some like Salamence, Manectric, and Milotic tend to be among my favorites (getting the latter was admittedly a pain though). I do like a good number of Gen 4's designs such as Garchomp, Luxray, and Yanmega, but overall I don't have the same fondness for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here're my problems with Hoenn:
- If you don't choose Torchic, you're fairly SOL for a fire type. (Torkoal, Camerupt, Macargo, or Ninetails).
- The entire last third of the game is spent on the water and there's just far too much gr-- sea to cover. This is after taking down the long stretch from petalberg to slateport which is probably more sea travel than southwest hoenn and johto combined by ITSELF.
- Because of this, you have abysmal type diversity in opponents for most of the span between the 6th gym and Victory Road. Surfers and Team X Grunts.
- The last stretch of the "story" is just flying around to hit flags for where the team currently is until you finally track them down at the seafloor cavern.
- For this last third, you're stuck with HM Dive, in which your movement is even more sluggish.
- Having to get a relicanth and wailord for the Regis.
- Altaria

Here're my problems with Sinnoh:
- Defog
- God the game just feels /slow/ especially with the prolonged animations for Pokemon entering. Just like in general animation duration and such.
- "Oh man our 3rd rock gym to start out of 4 gens."
- In D/P, if you don't choose Chimchar, your ONLY option for a fire type is Rapidash
- Super Contests making Contests even worse by giving you two filler things to start.
- In D/P, one of the elite four is using A DUSTOX AND BEAUTIFLY.
- Buneary's a happiness evo that starts at 0 happiness.
- Most of the best pokemon of the gen are evos of past 'mons and you CAN'T GET MOST OF THEM IN D/P.
- The path up to Snowpoint.
- The marshy routes.
- Looker.
- Bronzong.
- Worst fossil mons in the series.
- The isolated island was a massive disappointment of a "postgame."
You see, I can look past Altaria, Bronzor, and Shieldon somehow being negatives. I really can.

But in no way.
Will I ever.
Accept.
That.
Looker.
Is.
A.
Negative.

Best Side Character forever and always. :p

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This line?
I have a young daughter that everyday when I wake up wants to watch the recall trailer again. She knows who tracer is, and as she grows up, she can grow up alongside these characters.
I don't see anything there about adopting a pose.

Nor do I see anything about "This offends me". All that poster said was "It doesn't fit her character and just reduces her to a sex symbol" They even had something in there about how Windowmaker is perfectly fine because her character is designed around how she flaunts her sexuality.

We aren't looking at a widowmaker pose here, this isn't a character who is in part defined by flaunting her sexuality. This pose says to the player base, oh we've got all these cool diverse characters, but at any moment we are willing to reduce them to sex symbols to help boost our investment game.
INB4: "IT'S JUST AN OVER THE SHOULDER, BUTT SHOT! THAT'S NOT SEXY! LOTS OF CHARACTERS HAVE THAT!"
Subtle differences can evoke a different message.

When NoA changed their logo back to red
I saw a lot of comments about how the read brought a feeling of nostalgia and how their childhood was back. The gray logo however
felt corporate and cold (I personally thought the gray looked nice, sleek and modern). The only difference was just color and yet it sent a very different message. The same applies to "Just an over the shoulder, butt shot."

Some of them evoke a feeling of strength, some evoke a feeling of sexy, some cute, come cool, some edgy, some are even just neutral. Just the tiniest change can lead to a wildly different image.
I leave you with this:
(Pay most attention to Hawkeye and Iron Man as I feel they're not the most outrageous)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This line?

I don't see anything there about adopting a pose.

Nor do I see anything about "This offends me". All that poster said was "It doesn't fit her character and just reduces her to a sex symbol" They even had something in there about how Windowmaker is perfectly fine because her character is designed around how she flaunts her sexuality.

INB4: "IT'S JUST AN OVER THE SHOULDER, BUTT SHOT! THAT'S NOT SEXY! LOTS OF CHARACTERS HAVE THAT!"
Subtle differences can evoke a different message.

When NoA changed their logo back to red
I saw a lot of comments about how the read brought a feeling of nostalgia and how their childhood was back. The gray logo however
felt corporate and cold (I personally thought the gray looked nice, sleek and modern). The only difference was just color and yet it sent a very different message. The same applies to "Just an over the shoulder, butt shot."

Some of them evoke a feeling of strength, some evoke a feeling of sexy, some cute, come cool, some edgy, some are even just neutral. Just the tiniest change can lead to a wildly different image.
I leave you with this:
(Pay most attention to Hawkeye and Iron Man as I feel they're not the most outrageous)
When did they have a grey logo?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"Man. I'm really hitting a wall on these Adventure mode maps. I'm just gonna try the Ganon one to feel better since it's supposed to be the 'final boss.' "
>You've unlocked The Great Sea Adventure Map
"WAIT WHAT?!"
>Checks
"THIS IS WHERE ALL THE DAMN LV2 WEAPON REQUIREMENTS WERE!!!"

Edit: It's 14 x 7 instead of the 16 x 8 for the normal one...

Double Edit: That's another 98 tiles. I still had 46 left of the original 128.
144 more tiles to clear.
Every hard mode Gold Skulltua for the story.
About a half dozen tiles I have to re-clear for A-Ranks.

Someone please tell me I don't have to deal with a third map until Marin's DLC.
allow me to quell your fears
BY MAKING THEM TRUE you have the original master quest map, the twilight princess map and the majoras mask map to deal with and at least 2 of them have skulltulas
hope that helps

D

Deleted member

Gen 4 would be the worst Gen of all if it wasn't for HGSS, thanks to that, the "honor" goes to Gen 1
But we don't even have to discuss that best Gen is 5, right?
How dare you insult Looker
He's the second-best character in the whole ****ing series

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Bus Eireann online timetable said the bus I needed would have a 10:45 departure
>Arrive on time and the bus I need isn't there
>Ask one of the bus drivers there about it
>Apparently they only go at every half past time for most of the day, like 10:30 and 11:30
>The tracker says the bus is running late

Ah, the nostalgic moment of being reminded why you hate using Bus Eireann.

I MIGHT still make it on time but only if the bus has a perfect journey. This is bull.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gen 4 would be the worst Gen of all if it wasn't for HGSS, thanks to that, the "honor" goes to Gen 1

I disagree with that. I like gen 3 more than Gen 5

Gen 5 had a lot of good pokemon, but had the worst starters of all time

D

Deleted member

I disagree with that. I like gen 3 more than Gen 5

Gen 5 had a lot of good pokemon, but had the worst starters of all time
>Worst starters of all
Excuse me, my contrary grass snake, giant fire boar and a ****ing otter samurai disagree

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i stand by the fact each gen is better than the last in some way
gen 1: was the begining
gen 2: overall improvements to game balance, adding 2 new types, shiny pokemon, and tpost game content
gen 3: graphical improvements, abilities, double battles, natures, side content(contests in this case) and wireless game play
gen 4: another step up in graphics, the physical special split, more diverse move pools and online
gen 5: hidden abilities, a more in depth story, triple and rotation battles, and wild double battles
gen 6: yet another jump in graphics, horde battles and encounters, a new type, old pokemon getting base stat buffs, getting EXP for catching a pokemon, trainer customization, saveing taking a second, wonder trade, pokebank, pokemon amie, super training,
and the pss for making trading and battleing with your friends a breeze

in all honesty i cant wait for gen 7 just to see how much it adds to pokemon

Burruni

Smash Hero
You see, I can look past Altaria, Bronzor, and Shieldon somehow being negatives. I really can.

But in no way.
Will I ever.
Accept.
That.
Looker.
Is.
A.
Negative.

Altaria I've had a personal vendetta against since childhood because it shouldn't be a dragon and for some reason I can't put it past me.
Bronzong, until gen 6, was a Pokemon that was very bulky with 2 type weaknesses. It's 2 abilities got rid of those weaknesses.

And... I've just never liked Looker. Maybe it's because I've played the AA game and all I see in him is Gumshoe but without the humor or kind of likability that comes from being that guy who puts himself in worse situations to make sure that everything goes as it should but... Looker just has never been a character I've enjoyed. In Platinum he's shoe-horned into the story and just pads out more time and that was supposed to be his grad unveil. n X/Y, while him taking in the-girl-whose-name-I've-already-forgotten was heart warming for the bit of time, his raw incompetence and shoving you around like a workslave just was not appealing to me.

D

Deleted member

Altaria I've had a personal vendetta against since childhood because it shouldn't be a dragon and for some reason I can't put it past me.
Bronzong, until gen 6, was a Pokemon that was very bulky with 2 type weaknesses. It's 2 abilities got rid of those weaknesses.

And... I've just never liked Looker. Maybe it's because I've played the AA game and all I see in him is Gumshoe but without the humor or kind of likability that comes from being that guy who puts himself in worse situations to make sure that everything goes as it should but... Looker just has never been a character I've enjoyed. In Platinum he's shoe-horned into the story and just pads out more time and that was supposed to be his grad unveil. n X/Y, while him taking in the-girl-whose-name-I've-already-forgotten was heart warming for the bit of time, his raw incompetence and shoving you around like a workslave just was not appealing to me.
He's not Gumshoe though, he's a timelord
Also, hating a single Pokemon as a reason to dislike the gen is petty
Also
Just git gud

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

But in no way.
Will I ever.
Accept.
That.
Looker.
Is.
A.
Negative.

Looker Missions should be a full game.

Guest Starring Detective Pikachu crossover when.

Burruni

Smash Hero
He's not Gumshoe though, he's a timelord
Also, hating a single Pokemon as a reason to dislike the gen is petty
Also

Just git gud
Yo it's petty but I'm also a grown adult talking about things that particularly irked me about specific regions of a game marketed for children whose games are around 10 years old at this point.

Also I never got into Dr. Who so your entire comparision is lost to me.

AND BRONZONG WAS BAD DESIGN IMO. AND THE FACT THAT IT'S SOMETHING I WENT AGAINST QUITE FREQUENTLY ONLY SOURED THINGS TO ME.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As much as I agree that Gen 5's starters were the weakest...

:4bowser:vs.:4ganondorf: is live...
I knew Ganon would win, but that was some finish literally getting eaten then destroying Bowser from inside...:p

I'm just glad there was no BS like in Peach vs. Zelda...

And Ratchet & Clank are next...probably going to fight Jak & Daxter or something

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
As much as I agree that Gen 5's starters were the weakest...

:4bowser:vs.:4ganondorf: is live...
I knew Ganon would win, but that was some finish literally getting eaten then destroying Bowser from inside...:p

I'm just glad there was no BS like in Peach vs. Zelda...

And Ratchet & Clank are next...probably going to fight Jak & Daxter or something
I mean.
I technically got my Actual Ganon vs Giga Bowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom