• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I just saw the Tracer butt controversy
http://overwatch.blizzplanet.com/wp...2/tracer-victory-pose-2-over-the-shoulder.png
I hate to say it, but I have to agree with goobergators with this one. The only 'sexy' thing about is that Tracer has a butt. The pose oozes confidence imo, so it fits what admittedly little I saw of her. And I hear a male character has the exact same pose

In the Netherlands, we have a law. You can be religious, as long as you respect the beliefs of others and follow the law. Discrimination is illegal, therefore it works. That's why most Dutch people are worried about refugees who only arrived for a quick buck
thats nothing apparantly japan got pissed because of star ocean 5 devs removing the "sexy" underware for "diapers" because of sjws Overseas...this is a thing thats happening right now

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I can't decide whether or not I'm feeling this. His theme was the biggest reason I was excited for his return, but this just doesn't feel the same at all. It feels like they tried, but just couldn't nail it. Maybe it'll grow on me, but the original will be the superior one to me
Fact of the day: Each character in Smash 4 can have up to 263 skins, with 8 being the default.
Well I see Sakurai doesn't want my money, could've sold a ton of costumes with that.
Jet Set Radio Sonic anyone?

I just saw the Tracer butt controversy
http://overwatch.blizzplanet.com/wp...2/tracer-victory-pose-2-over-the-shoulder.png
I hate to say it, but I have to agree with goobergators with this one. The only 'sexy' thing about is that Tracer has a butt. The pose oozes confidence imo, so it fits what admittedly little I saw of her. And I hear a male character has the exact same pose

In the Netherlands, we have a law. You can be religious, as long as you respect the beliefs of others and follow the law. Discrimination is illegal, therefore it works. That's why most Dutch people are worried about refugees who only arrived for a quick buck
I'm not going to argue, but know that I'm starring at this post (and others like it) disapprovingly. (Although I do enjoy the use of "Goobergate". I may steal that.)

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
anyway back to videogames im hopeing linkle gets the shovel as a wepon just so they can make her shovel knight

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
thats nothing apparantly japan got pissed because of star ocean 5 devs removing the "sexy" underware for "diapers" because of sjws Overseas...this is a thing thats happening right now
Ironically enough it reminds me how goobergators wet themselves about Soleil's support being changed despite Japan themselves being upset about it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but know that I'm starring at this post (and others like it) disapprovingly
No offense but...

So?

Even though I don't care about Blizzard Butt, Annuga doesn't have to agree with you.

What's with this judgmental guilt trip? It's coming off like... "I'm not going to say it, but I'm gonna say it."

Comes off as patronizing, man. I don't think you mean it like that, but it's coming off like that.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
About to start making the next version of the Mega Smash Poll. Any suggestions on the type questions that should be asked?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No offense but...

So?

Even though I don't care about Blizzard Butt, Annuga doesn't have to agree with you.

What's with this judgmental guilt trip? It's coming off like... "I'm not going to say it, but I'm gonna say it."

Comes off as patronizing, man. I don't think you mean it like that, but it's coming off like that.
I'll admit, looking back, yeah it does.

I was just part of a discussion about this topic earlier in another thread, combating similar responses, so coming in here and seeing pretty much the same discussion makes me go "Really, again?"

Suppose I may as well provide my own input lest I just look more like an insecure jack-ass.

The side that's blowing this issue out of proportion aren't those who are "offended" by Tracer's sexual objectification, but those who are outraged that Blizzard went through and removed it. One user makes an entire argument, not on why sexy characters are bad, but that it doesn't fit Tracer's character. Blizzard reads it and agrees. But now we have a whole bunch of people screaming "Censorship" and "Evil SJWs" when that's not even remotely the case. Game Devs cut content all the time because it may not fit their vision or it's too much work to implement. Blizzard simply agreed, yeah this doesn't fit her character, done.

If you're going to call the removal of one pose "censorship" you better call this cut animation from Brawl censorship too.

How dare they remove Kirby walking forward with an invisible hammer from their game. Evil SJWs must be behind this heinous act of censorship.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I was just part of a discussion about this topic earlier in another thread, combating similar responses, so coming in here and seeing pretty much the same discussion makes me go "Really, again?"

Suppose I may as well provide my own input lest I just look more like an insecure jack-***.

The side that's blowing this issue out of proportion aren't those who are "offended" by Tracer's sexual objectification, but those who are outraged that Blizzard went through and removed it. One user makes an entire argument, not on why sexy characters are bad, but that it doesn't fit Tracer's character. Blizzard reads it and agrees. But now we have a whole bunch of people screaming "Censorship" and "Evil SJWs" when that's not even remotely the case. Game Devs cut content all the time because it may not fit their vision or it's too much work to implement. Blizzard simply agreed, yeah this doesn't fit her character, done.

If you're going to call the removal of one pose "censorship" you better call this cut animation from Brawl censorship too.

How dare they remove Kirby walking forward with an invisible hammer from their game. Evil SJWs must be behind this heinous act of censorship.
The difference is how there were complaints about Tracer being sexualized in that win pose. That victory pose seems to fit as someone who only saw a little of the trailers

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Suppose I may as well provide my own input lest I just look more like an insecure jack-***.

Yeah, people are blowing it out of proportion.

I personally don't see a problem. Butt is fine. No butt is fine.

It's just that people like to make a fuss regardless.

Believe it or not, there was a whole controversy that Tracer had that pose in the first place.

Blizzard can't win.

D

Deleted member

I thought Tracer was a guy based on the game's boxart
And what exactly about her offended people so much?
all sins are equal, including wearing clothes that are 50% cotton
My soul is truly lost then, I wear 100% sin

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The difference is how there were complaints about Tracer being sexualized in that win pose. That victory pose seems to fit as someone who only saw a little of the trailers
Well it fit what you understood of her, but considering how quickly Blizzard removed it, it clearly didn't fit what they wanted of her.

People like to scream "OH NO CENSORSHIP", but remember/for those who don't know, they haven't touched Widowmaker who's also designed to be super sexy, probably because Blizzard actually wants to portray her as sexy.

And even if it was the case of "censorship", god forbid Blizzard wants to have a different image of their product.

Yeah, people are blowing it out of proportion.

I personally don't see a problem. Butt is fine. No butt is fine.

It's just that people like to make a fuss regardless.

Believe it or not, there was a whole controversy that Tracer had that pose in the first place.

Blizzard can't win.
They'll win once they're raking in the dough.

Look at Fire Emblem Fates that went through a ton of controversy over cut content and it still sold millions in the west.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well it fit what you understood of her, but considering how quickly Blizzard removed it, it clearly didn't fit what they wanted of her.

People like to scream "OH NO CENSORSHIP", but remember/for those who don't know, they haven't touched Widowmaker who's also designed to be super sexy, probably because Blizzard actually wants to portray her as sexy.

And even if it was the case of "censorship", god forbid Blizzard wants to have a different image of their product.
It's not like Tracer doesn't have a good butt anyways. :013:

Sex appeal is still a factor. Just not in your face any more. Don't think this is all that bad.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

They'll win once they're raking in the dough.

Look at Fire Emblem Fates that went through a ton of controversy over cut content and it still sold millions in the west.
My problem is how there is barely any butt at all despite the complaints about it. It was basically making a mountain of a molepile.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Sex appeal is still a factor. Just not in your face any more. Don't think this is all that bad.
It's not. Having a sexy character is not bad in the slightest. It just has to fit the character. Samus vs Bayonetta ya know?

Bayonetta is designed from the core to be sexy and over the top, Samus just had sexy thrown on as an afterthought.

Granted, I'm sure Tracer was actually designed to have sex appeal, but it seems Blizzard wants to manage how much she has a bit.
My problem is how there is barely any butt at all despite the complaints about it. It was basically making a mountain of a molepile.
What you interpret, may not be what others interpret. In your mind it's whatever, in someone else it's a deviation from character.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
It's not. Having a sexy character is not bad in the slightest. It just has to fit the character. Samus vs Bayonetta ya know?

Bayonetta is designed from the core to be sexy and over the top, Samus just had sexy thrown on as an afterthought.

Granted, I'm sure Tracer was actually designed to have sex appeal, but it seems Blizzard wants to manage how much she has a bit.

What you interpret, may not be what others interpret. In your mind it's whatever, in someone else it's a deviation from character.
looking over her shoulder is a deviation from her character? i should add that multiple characters share this pose

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I was agreeing with you. :4dedede:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
then blizzards ******* dumb because like i said
multiple characters

this

pose
all im saying is if your going to remove that pose from tracer then at least 2 other character here need to drop the pose
No they don't. Maybe it fits the image they want for those characters.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I heard the win pose was removed because people ******* about it demanding it be removed. It's dumb considering (from what I understand) it was an optional win pose you could have her perform; it wasn't even the default win pose. If you didn't like it you didn't have to look at it.

People being like "I don't like this, so no one should be able to experience it" is dumb.

It's not even that sexual. What's so wrong with a women having a butt? People get way too offended.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
No they don't. Maybe it fits the image they want for those characters.
and i quote from the blizzard pr "we removed the pose due to ethical reasons" not "we removed it because it didnt fit her character" "ethical reasons"

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I heard the win pose was removed because people ******* about it demanding it be removed. It's dumb considering (from what I understand) it was an optional win pose you could have her perform; it wasn't even the default win pose. If you didn't like it you didn't have to look at it.

People being like "I don't like this, so no one should be able to experience it" is dumb.

It's not even that sexual. What's so wrong with a women having a butt? People get way too offended.
You don't honestly believe Blizzard, of all companies, the owner of World of Warcrat, are going to buckle down to simple complaints do you? Do you not recognize the amount of complaints they receive an hour, let alone a day? No, they didn't remove it because a group of people demanded it's removal, they removed it because they read the complaint and agreed with it. It didn't fit their image.

and i quote from the blizzard pr "we removed the pose due to ethical reasons" not "we removed it because it didnt fit her character" "ethical reasons"
Not fitting the character can still fall under "ethical reasons". i.e, they felt this portrayed the character as being sexually objectified and thus not fitting the character and not being ethical.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
You don't honestly believe Blizzard, of all companies, the owner of World of Warcrat, are going to buckle down to simple complaints do you? Do you not recognize the amount of complaints they receive an hour, let alone a day? No, they didn't remove it because a group of people demanded it's removal, they removed it because they read the complaint and agreed with it. It didn't fit their image.

Not fitting the character can still fall under "ethical reasons". i.e, they felt this portrayed the character as being sexually objectified and thus not fitting the character and not being ethical.
so what your saying is they are fine with the sexual objectification of every other character with that pose? gotcha

please note im only putting words in your mouth because you methaphoricaly put down a plate with said words on it whilst wearing a bib with feed me written across it in Neon pink and green letters

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Christians who don't judge and discriminate are Christains with no moral boundaries and standards. The only thing those kinds of people consider worthy of judgement is...judging itself.

----

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Christians who don't judge and discriminate are Christains with no moral boundaries and standards. The only thing those kinds of people consider worthy of judgement is...judging itself.

----
Judge the sin.

Not the sinner.

Jesus hung out with the people who were judged bro. The tax collectors. The prostitutes.

He helped them because he didn't discriminate them. Just bad behavior.
But then what makes Tracer so special if almost everyone can do it? I mean... a lot of characters don't fit the sexual objectification role and they still have it. I mean, Mercy doesn't strike me as one.

I didn't know the pose was THAT widely shared.

Now I have some issue with it.

Still think people are ******** over practically nothing but I think the removal was a stupid move now.

Ah well. Like all the little gaming controversies, this will pass and we'll all forget about it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
so what your saying is they are fine with the sexual objectification of every other character with that pose? gotcha

please note im only putting words in your mouth because you methaphoricaly put down a plate with said words on it whilst wearing a bib with feed me written across it in Neon pink and green letters
You spelt "I'm" and "Metaphorically" wrong. Might wanna check your spelling before you try insulting someone.

I'd love to continue, but at this point you've proven to me it's not so much you not understanding, but rather not caring to understand. That really hinders discussion.

With that said, I'm pretty sure I've stated, multiple times, that it's Tracer specifically who they want to tone down the sexy for, no one else. Characters aren't required to portray the same image
And
Are both archers but they don't have a similar image. Windranger gives off a happy, spunky, preppy vibe, whereas Drow comes off as cool, calm and collected. Cause you know, they're different characters, they have different images.
But then what makes Tracer so special if almost everyone can do it? I mean... a lot of characters don't fit the sexual objectification role and they still have it. I mean, Mercy doesn't strike me as one.

I didn't know the pose was THAT widely shared.

Now I have some issue with it.

Still think people are ******** over practically nothing but I think the removal was a stupid move now.

Ah well. Like all the little gaming controversies, this will pass and we'll all forget about it.
I dunno, ask Blizzard not me. It's their character, it's how they want to portray her.

They feel it's not a good fit for her so they remove it. I'm not here to argue what her image is, but whether or not it's a wrong move by Blizzard (which I've made clear I don't think it's wrong at all).

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
You spelt "I'm" and "Metaphorically" wrong. Might wanna check your spelling before you try insulting someone.

I'd love to continue, but at this point you've proven to me it's not so much you not understanding, but rather not caring to understand. That really hinders discussion.

With that said, I'm pretty sure I've stated, multiple times, that it's Tracer specifically who they want to tone down the sexy for, no one else. Characters aren't required to portray the same image
And
Are both archers but they don't have a similar image. Windranger gives off a happy, spunky, preppy vibe, whereas Drow comes off as cool, calm and collected. Cause you know, they're different characters, they have different images.

I dunno, ask Blizzard not me. It's their character, it's how they want to portray her.

They feel it's not a good fit for her so they remove it. I'm not here to argue what her image is, but whether or not it's a wrong move by Blizzard (which I've made clear I don't think it's wrong at all).
well if were going to be petty i didn't spell i'm wrong i just didn't punctuate it correctly there is a difference

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I'm not saying its wrong or right.

Adding morality into something like this is a mess waiting to happen.

I'm just saying its stupid because I find it completely unnecessary.

Not much point to it. The "ethics" behind it just seem completely trivial imo.

But like I said. Give it a week. :013:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm not saying its wrong or right.

Adding morality into something like this is a mess waiting to happen.

I'm just saying its stupid because I find it completely unnecessary.

Not much point to it. The "ethics" behind it just seem completely trivial imo.

But like I said. Give it a week. :013:
This is probably going to be a horrible example and may even make it more confusing but here goes:

In the game SSX 3 you're able to customize every character right down to the special they could perform. One move that comes to mind is known "Pirouette Grind" which is basically this (don't need to watch the entire video)
By, default, it's already unlocked for one character,
, who's designed to be a super cute Japanese girl. Doing a bunch of pirouttes on a snowboard fits her cute, bubbly image.
Again, you can unlock the trick for other characters,
However, although you can perform the trick with anyone, it doesn't fit their images as nicely as it does Kaori's.
This feature was pretty much taken out in every game that followed

In the case of Tracer, although Blizzard may feel the pose fits a bunch of other characters, they may feel it doesn't fit her character.

Why do you keep saying this like it's a fact? They never said that was the reason they removed it.
Because "EVIL SJWS" don't have as much control in game development as you think they do

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
well this conversation has become tiring so instead lets focus on something worth talking about

i submit the following question to you all what would lowrule's version of linkle look and act like?
would her design be minimally or radically difffrent what would her name be changed to this is something ive been thinking about even since it dawned on me that linkle is more or less going to be a main stay character(seeing as aounuma really likes her)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is probably going to be a horrible example and may even make it more confusing but here goes:

In the game SSX 3 you're able to customize every character right down to the special they could perform. One move that comes to mind is known "Pirouette Grind" which is basically this (don't need to watch the entire video)
By, default, it's already unlocked for one character,
, who's designed to be a super cute Japanese girl. Doing a bunch of pirouttes on a snowboard fits her cute, bubbly image.
Again, you can unlock the trick for other characters,
However, although you can perform the trick with anyone, it doesn't fit their images as nicely as it does Kaori's.
This feature was pretty much taken out in every game that followed

In the case of Tracer, although Blizzard may feel the pose fits a bunch of other characters, they may feel it doesn't fit her character.

Because "EVIL SJWS" don't have as much control in game development as you think they do

That is kind of a poor example because A) how well the trick fits characters is subjective, and B) how well a trick "fits" someone is irrelevant in a sport like snowboarding. Unlike the victory pose, the trick has a practical application in the context of the sport.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That is kind of a poor example because A) how well the trick fits characters is subjective,
Well, yeah, how well something fits is always subjective. i.e, I think Humans fit well in Sonic's world, whereas others may say they don't fit. Or some people think Tracer's victory doesn't fit her character, whereas others think it's not a big deal. It's all subjective.
B) how well a trick "fits" someone is irrelevant in a sport like snowboarding. Unlike the victory pose, the trick has a practical application in the context of the sport.
Yes, and no. If SSX were a snowboarding simulator, I'd agree, however, the devs spend a lot of time crafting every character's personality. The tricks they could perform aren't made for practicality but because it fits their personality.
Here's a really ****ty video showing off every special trick from the SSX tricky (please ignore the unfitting music)
Their special tricks are meant to be an extension of themselves. One character breakdances because he's into hip-hop and rap, another does the worm because he's groovy and "funky fresh".

Burruni

Smash Hero

All I'm going to say.
That pose, from what I understand, is neither a default nor ever randomly selected.
It's one in a pool (it being #27 I believe) that you can CHOOSE to be your winning pose.
Edit: To elaborate a bit, I mean that this particular piece of sex appeal was never pushed to be "in your face" or even has any real benefit to it, as was found even in the "face rubbing" of Fates because it gave points for supports. This was something totally cosmetic that was possible to be selected by the playe.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
All I'm going to say.
That pose, from what I understand, is neither a default nor ever randomly selected.
It's one in a pool (it being #27 I believe) that you can CHOOSE to be your winning pose.
People keep reminding others how it's "a choice" but that doesn't really change anything. Part of the reason the Grand Theft Auto series doesn't even feature children is so the games don't have the image of being a child killing simulator. Sure it'd be a choice, and don't have to do it at all, but the option is still there, thus still sending that message or idea. It's the same reason why Bethesda games have unkillable children, because image, people care about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom