• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Bit Block just hates nice things and doesn't care for other people's likes or dislikes.

Or Nintendo's NDAs.
To be fair, I wasn't just referring to BitBlock with that.

In 2013 I spent a lot of time browsing GameFAQs, and there were at least one or two posts over the course of the following year that showed that a couple of users had their feathers very badly ruffled by Mega Man's inclusion.

You know Yokai Watch would be a hell of a lot more intiguing to me if they didn't use Yokai like this
or this

to shove into my face and instead used Yokai like this

It feels like every single Yokai i've seen before trying wibble wobble is 100 times worse than every other Yokai i've seen playable

I like Beetler more than I like most pokemon. . .

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, I wasn't just referring to BitBlock with that.

In 2013 I spent a lot of time browsing GameFAQs, and there were at least one or two posts over the course of the following year that showed that a couple of users had their feathers very badly ruffled by Mega Man's inclusion.
That's the thing.

One or two posts. It's so minor that it's not worth entertaining. Most people who don't like Mega Man know to let the ones that do enjoy it. :)

D

Deleted member

You know Yokai Watch would be a hell of a lot more intiguing to me if they didn't use Yokai like this
or this

It feels like every single Yokai i've seen before trying wibble wobble is 100 times worse than every other Yokai i've seen playable

I like the first one
He looks kinda silly but in a cute way

I just found out one of my favourite Jojo characters is Shadow the Hedgehog in Japan, yet he's Big the Cat in English. I love it when **** like that happens. Anyone have something similar?
How about Dark Mage Lucina trying to kill Roy but getting critted by a Fire

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I love how everyone is picking on BitBlock.

Yet he made this just recently.

Ignoring the thumbnail, this video is pretty spot on. I agree with pretty much everything he says.

In fact I don't even think you CAN disagree with most of what he says here. Most of it is pretty objective.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, it's fun going back to Hyrule Warriors. The new characters, story, & weapons are fun on both Wii U & 3DS.

But I hope I didn't mess up on something: I downloaded the new season pass for my Wii U version but I haven't gotten an in-game message saying the content is coming or Ganondorf's Wind Waker outfit that suppose to be available immediately after installing the season pass. :/

Burruni

Smash Hero
or this

If they promoted the ones that the GAME focused on more like... Jibanyan, Walkappa, Kyubi, it'd be more interestingly driven.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just found out Josuke is the biggest asshole in the franchise. In the fighting games he's in, his strongest move is hum fully healing his opponent, then beating them till they get more beaten than before. Johnny Joestar can be hit by this and no longer becomes crippled when healed. That's just mean

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just found out Josuke is the biggest ******* in the franchise. In the fighting games he's in, his strongest move is hum fully healing his opponent, then beating them till they get more beaten than before. Johnny Joestar can be hit by this and no longer becomes crippled when healed. That's just mean
Josuke is the worst of the 7 protagonists I've seen.
Not reading Part 8 until it's done.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
man, why did Hyrule Warriors have to release on frikking Good Friday, when everything's closed...made my pre-order and it didn't come in yesterday, and I won't be able to play it tomorrow because I'm frikkin working all day...Sunday I might be out all day because of Easter with the family...

Nintendo, why you do this?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm surprised we haven't news of Sheik getting her Smash outfit in Hyrule Warriors.

Sure, it's a scrapped Twlight Princess design (that got revived in Smash since Brawl), but I personally see that as a waste of a good idea.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Remember back then when alot of people compared anything OP with Meta Knight, and how people think Meta Knight created the term "OP"? Ahhh good times.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Here's the thing about thebitblock. He acts like a ****, ***** on Nintendo any chance he gets, yet is so civil and actually decent in the Gamexplain discussions. Like what the hell?

Does he have multiple personalities or something? And why do they keep bringing him back for discussions with behavior such as that?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, I'm going to watch the supposedly bad Batman vs. Superman movie. Hope the presentation isn't as brain cell killing as my experience with Pixels.

Seriously, screw that movie or anything else made by Adam Sandler.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well, I'm going to watch the supposedly bad Batman vs. Superman movie. Hope the presentation isn't as brain cell killing as my experience with Pixels.

Seriously, screw that movie or anything else made by Adam Sandler.
The common consensus is that it's average but of course people treat it like there's only two sides.

I want to provide more in depth thoughts on BvS but it's just really conflicting.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I love how everyone is picking on BitBlock.

Yet he made this just recently.

Ignoring the thumbnail, this video is pretty spot on. I agree with pretty much everything he says.

In fact I don't even think you CAN disagree with most of what he says here. Most of it is pretty objective.
I can definitely see that a lot of complaints from him -and Nintendo fans in general- come from a place of love.

However, the tone in which those complaints are presented may not have been ideal in his other videos. He seemed relatively balanced for most of this video, but towards the end I started to be under the impression that the normal tone of his videos might be a little less. . .welcoming. . . than that of his explanation as to why he acts that way. Not in the sense of his simply being negative, but in the sense that he may have worded whatever he said in a less than ideal fashion. Granted, I haven't watched his other videos, so this is just a guess and I apologize if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that his negativity might go above and beyond what is necessary to get his opinions on Nintendo's current direction across.

My personal issue was simply with his reaction to "anime" and third party characters, in which in the particular situation it was presented in had no explanation behind it whatsoever and simply seemed like he was having a negative reaction for some irrational reason. If his opinions on those types of characters actually have some kind of basis behind them besides personal preference, I will take them into consideration, but without whatever reasoning he has for this in front of me for me to judge the merit of his reaction objectively, it simply appears as though he was having a reaction just because it wasn't what he himself wanted.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't have to give a speck of respect to Thebitblock because of one decent video, he's a whiny manchild that hates things for completely arbitrary reasons.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Japanese company is too "Japanesey". Give me a ****ing break. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't have to give a speck of respect to Thebitblock because of one decent video, he's a whiny manchild that hates things for completely arbitrary reasons.

Japanese company is too "Japanesey". Give me a ****ing break. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This tweet is too bitBlockey

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I can definitely see that a lot of complaints from him -and Nintendo fans in general- come from a place of love.

However, the tone in which those complaints are presented may not have been ideal in his other videos. He seemed relatively balanced for most of this video, but towards the end I started to be under the impression that the normal tone of his videos might be a little less. . .welcoming. . . than that of his explanation as to why he acts that way. Not in the sense of his simply being negative, but in the sense that he may have worded whatever he said in a less than ideal fashion. Granted, I haven't watched his other videos, so this is just a guess and I apologize if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that his negativity might go above and beyond what is necessary to get his opinions on Nintendo's current direction across.

My personal issue was simply with his reaction to "anime" and third party characters, in which in the particular situation it was presented in had no explanation behind it whatsoever and simply seemed like he was having a negative reaction for some irrational reason. If his opinions on those types of characters actually have some kind of basis behind them besides personal preference, I will take them into consideration, but without whatever reasoning he has for this in front of me for me to judge the merit of his reaction objectively, it simply appears as though he was having a reaction just because it wasn't what he himself wanted.
To be perfectly frank, I don't see what the problem is with him getting angry and vocal.

Do I personally prefer videos like, say, Arlo's Paper Mario video, where he is concise, deliberate, respectful, yet genuinely disappointed by Nintendo, while expressing his opinion? Yes. (BTW everyone should really subscribe to Arlo if they haven't already, he puts out superb content that's mostly Nintendo focused).

However, Josh's angry rants have their place. I mean, it's one thing to point out the problems methodically like Arlo does, which is perfectly fine. But sometimes, you kinda have to show Nintendo that you are FRUSTRATED at what they are doing. Because it's one thing if a company thinks a product is doing mediocre or whatever. But when they can see it's genuinely upsetting people and persuading them to boycott the company, then the company is more likely to act.

Basically, we need our good cops to point out the problems on a critical level and suggest improvements. And we need our bad cops to say "THIS ISN'T ****ING OK, NINTENDO".

And at the end of the day, Josh often still does back up his points and be objective on many of the issues he rants about and kinda insults Nintendo over. I mean yeah, maybe the attitude can be off putting, but at the end of the day, he IS addressing the correct issues a lot of the time.

As for the anime thing, Josh actually did elaborate on the anime thing a bit more in his discussion over the recent direct - he was upset with the surplus of anime characters in Smash, because he feels like Nintendo is way too overflowing with the anime sub genre in general right now, and he felt that Smash getting so many anime type characters really emphasises that, and it can be alienating to some people. And he is kinda right honestly, there are a lot of anime styled JRPG games releasing on Nintendo platforms lately, and a lot of them bleed together to the average consumer. And they can be off-putting because JRPGs are also timesinks. Right now, it feels like the games Nintendo and it's second parties put the most marketing push and effort into, are these kind of games.

Also regarding Smash DLC, Josh was far from the only person to feel it was a bit saturated with the "anime" stereotype characters. A lot of people were.

...But he's entirely right.

Nintendo is a Japanese company by origin, but they are an international company now, and their market is international. Hell, for Zelda, their market is much larger in the West than it is in Japan.

Nintendo really do need to be less "Japanesey", especially with Zelda (Zelda isn't too Japanesey from a style standpoint, it's just the gameplay was getting too scripted).

What a company's country of origin is doesn't excuse jack **** if their market for certain products is an entirely different region.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I have made the wonderful decision to watch The Divergent Series: Allegiant today.

Wow.

A second sequel that leaves viewers wondering why this mess of a series is getting another film by somehow upping(lowering?) the ante from the mediocrity that was Insurgent.

News at 11.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I just found out Corrin's Dash Attack is an actual animation from Nohr Noble
The more you know, I guess
Also, send help, I wanna get off this ride, Chapter 20 hurts my head

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
To be perfectly frank, I don't see what the problem is with him getting angry and vocal.

Do I personally prefer videos like, say, Arlo's Paper Mario video, where he is concise, deliberate, respectful, yet genuinely disappointed by Nintendo, while expressing his opinion? Yes. (BTW everyone should really subscribe to Arlo if they haven't already, he puts out superb content that's mostly Nintendo focused).

However, Josh's angry rants have their place. I mean, it's one thing to point out the problems methodically like Arlo does, which is perfectly fine. But sometimes, you kinda have to show Nintendo that you are FRUSTRATED at what they are doing. Because it's one thing if a company thinks a product is doing mediocre or whatever. But when they can see it's genuinely upsetting people and persuading them to boycott the company, then the company is more likely to act.

Basically, we need our good cops to point out the problems on a critical level and suggest improvements. And we need our bad cops to say "THIS ISN'T ****ING OK, NINTENDO".

And at the end of the day, Josh often still does back up his points and be objective on many of the issues he rants about and kinda insults Nintendo over. I mean yeah, maybe the attitude can be off putting, but at the end of the day, he IS addressing the correct issues a lot of the time.

As for the anime thing, Josh actually did elaborate on the anime thing a bit more in his discussion over the recent direct - he was upset with the surplus of anime characters in Smash, because he feels like Nintendo is way too overflowing with the anime sub genre in general right now, and he felt that Smash getting so many anime type characters really emphasises that, and it can be alienating to some people. And he is kinda right honestly, there are a lot of anime styled JRPG games releasing on Nintendo platforms lately, and a lot of them bleed together to the average consumer. And they can be off-putting because JRPGs are also timesinks. Right now, it feels like the games Nintendo and it's second parties put the most marketing push and effort into, are these kind of games.

Also regarding Smash DLC, Josh was far from the only person to feel it was a bit saturated with the "anime" stereotype characters. A lot of people were.

Nintendo is a Japanese company by origin, but they are an international company now, and their market is international. Hell, for Zelda, their market is much larger in the West than it is in Japan.

Nintendo really do need to be less "Japanesey", especially with Zelda (Zelda isn't too Japanesey from a style standpoint, it's just the gameplay was getting too scripted).

What a company's country of origin is doesn't excuse jack **** if their market for certain products is an entirely different region.
But Zelda U has literally been stated to be more western based than ever. Plus, we HAD less japanese-y attempts from Nintendo. Case and point, Codename STEAM. And with how pitifully the game sold, can you seriously blame them for wanting to stick more towards the audience they know they can please? I do agree that they should try to go with a more western approach with some of their games, but it's not as simple as just DOING it.

(P.S. thanks SO much for introducing me to Arlo, that dude is probably one of my favorite youtubers right now.)

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nintedo's ideas may be very Japanese, but let's be honest.

that's the stupidest thing one could say. To Japanesey?

Like seriously?

There Japanese influence is why they are so popular. Ideas like splatoon, is something I'd expect from japan, but it was such a Japanese idea, that it sold millions in the west and everywhere.

It gave them a whole new series to work with. The west loves the culture of Japan. That's why Nintendo games work. Being Japanese is why their games are done so well that they appeal to foreign nations.

Being Japanesy is what makes them work. They don't need to change, let alone to satisfy someone who whines about them such as the bitblock.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo is much too Japanese-y for their own good which is totally fine in Japanese markets but has caused them to harshly suffer in the west. The way they currently conduct themselves seems to indicate they really don't understand the western market. The ideal would be for them to cater to each market in the way that best attracts a consumer base, and they've hardly done that outside Japan for a while now.

D

Deleted member

I just found out Josuke is the biggest ******* in the franchise. In the fighting games he's in, his strongest move is hum fully healing his opponent, then beating them till they get more beaten than before. Johnny Joestar can be hit by this and no longer becomes crippled when healed. That's just mean
Speaking of Josuke, i found this video of him in ASB:
Skip to 0:31 to see what im talking about.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nintendo is much too Japanese-y for their own good which is totally fine in Japanese markets but has caused them to harshly suffer in the west. The way they currently conduct themselves seems to indicate they really don't understand the western market. The ideal would be for them to cater to each market in the way that best attracts a consumer base, and they've hardly done that outside Japan for a while now.
I rather have Nintendo stick with the Japanese style.

Because when Japanese companies start going for the western appeal, well...You get stuff like this

Because for every Metroid Prime and Punch Out Wii, there's a Bomberman Act Zero and Altered Beast: Axe Rider

And you don't want those. And don't try to deny it

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

He just seems to be identical to the same fandom opinions I hear on a near constant basis in the circles I follow, and to be honest I'm starting to feel a little worn out. I can't really hold it against him to be the exact same as everyone else, I just personally feel like I'm exhausted of hearing it. It's not that it's wrong so much as after viewing the fandom itself there's literally nothing it can offer me.

And I like the "anime" styled games and am becoming increasingly exhausted hearing about how much everyone else hates them. Should Nintendo be catering to Western audiences as well? Obviously, and they're doing a terrible job of it. But the problem isn't that they're expanding their "anime" reach, it's that they're contracting their Western reach. It's not that they need to make less JRPGs, it's that they need to make more 3D platformers and other more Western genres.

And the comments on the video you linked seem to have a far higher degree of praise than one would imagine was possible on a YouTube video. What on earth. . .?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only thing Josh means by "too Japanesey" is the same old "DURR ANIME SUCKS" bull****. Don't believe me? Look at his twitter for a literal minute.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd be fine with having a couple of Western style games coming out here and there just to mix things up. Makes things more fresh and unique.

Funny saying all this considering Nintendo's mascot is an Italian-American.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because when Japanese companies start going for the western appeal, well...You get stuff like this

Because for every Metroid Prime and Punch Out Wii, there's a Bomberman Act Zero and Altered Beast: Axe Rider

Fun Fact: Did you know that Mega Man could have gone a similar treatment?

*Shivers*
Out of all the cancelled Mega Man games, this is the one i will miss the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The only thing Josh means by "too Japanesey" is the same old "DURR ANIME SUCKS" bull****. Don't believe me? Look at his twitter for a literal minute.
Well I haven't seen anything like that yet scrolling down just yet, but I did notice something that a lot of people here are probably going to disagree with.

And then he proceeds to spend some of the comments saying that if Nintendo doesn't do this, Smash is going to lose it's fandom from how much it's stagnated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Japanese company is japanese. Fan says: "It's weeabo bait, I want nothing to do with it". More at 7

Ivander

Smash Legend
So, I just found out Corrin's Dash Attack is an actual animation from Nohr Noble
The more you know, I guess
Also, send help, I wanna get off this ride, Chapter 20 hurts my head
I do know Corrin uses his Dash Attack as an animation when he uses Luna. He did it for me as a Hoshido Noble.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But Zelda U has literally been stated to be more western based than ever. Plus, we HAD less japanese-y attempts from Nintendo. Case and point, Codename STEAM. And with how pitifully the game sold, can you seriously blame them for wanting to stick more towards the audience they know they can please? I do agree that they should try to go with a more western approach with some of their games, but it's not as simple as just DOING it.

(P.S. thanks SO much for introducing me to Arlo, that dude is probably one of my favorite youtubers right now.)
Did you not read his tweet?

He was responding to someone who said Aonuma's recent comment on Zelda Wii U being more "western in taste" was a turn off, by saying it isn't a turn off for him and praising them for making this step away from the overly "Japanesey" direction they have had lately.

Also Codename STEAM didn't fail because it was a "Western inspired game". It failed because Nintendo gave no ****s in marketing it, and focused ALL of their efforts on Splatoon (and Nintendo have a huge problem with marketing in general), and for some, admittedly, unfortunate oversights in the initial release of the game (they got patched but it was too late to encourage more positive feedback at that point). You're completely missing the point of why it failed if you just jump to the "Western inspiration". Just like how Nintendo misses the point of why Chibi-Robo has been failing.

One could easily make the reverse argument here.

For every Final Fantasy VII and Xenoblade Chronicles, you get a Final Fantasy XIII, #FE, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star, or any old generic, budget anime-JRPG type game that still gets released on the PS3. I say this as someone who adores FFXIII and doesn't have much interest in FFVII compared to other FF games, but I know what the general opinion is, and I know people won't argue with me on that one.

Also I enjoyed DmC waaaay more than any other DMC game, and I know I'm not the only one. Both in feel/aesthetics, and in gameplay. I tried some of the DMC games and thought they were OK but the overly B-tier movie/anime tone and total power fantasy characterisation, just wasn't my thing, and I didn't complete any of them. Plus the gameplay felt archaic in some ways. DmC had a tone I much preferred, a much more imaginative setting, and a combat system I preferred, and much less tanky controls. And I pretty much 100%'d it. And I haven't even played the Definitive Edition yet either, which I heard made some VAST improvements to the game!

It's kinda unfair grouping DmC with the likes of Shadow the Hedgehog and those other games, because while those are all bad/mediocre games that totally miss the point and feel aimless at a lot of times, DmC is a well made game that knew what it wanted to be and made it very apparent from the get go. If you bought it hoping for a similar tone to the other DMC games, that's your own fault. It was trying to be different to the other games while still keeping the fundamental aspects, and it succeeded, especially with the Definitive Edition. The majority of people who strongly disliked DmC, were the diehard DMC fans who probably also would call themselves weeaboos unironically, whom wouldn't even acknowledge the gameplay improvements the Definitive Edition made to take some of the better gameplay aspects of the original games, and put them into DmC. Most other people can at least acknowledge it as a fun game even if they don't like the story or tone as much, and it did get good reception from critics. TotalBiscuit even ended up really liking it, and he's not even too into that genre of game (including the classic DMC games).

Point is, you can't just point at a few bad eggs and use them as an excuse for Nintendo to not do more Western flavoured stuff, ESPECIALLY when those bad eggs WEREN'T MADE by Nintendo. Nintendo usually does Western flavoured stuff very well, actually, so if anything, they should be doing it more often.

And ignore everything else he's done like his thought out discussions and what not.

We do damage control, here in Nintenzone Social.

ChikoLad ChikoLad
Here's the full rundown of those comments by Yuji Naka's comments on Sonic in Melee.
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/03/25/misinfo/
Thanks, it's good to finally have clarity on this. Good on you for doing this, especially in light of those other sites spreading misinformation.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintedo's ideas may be very Japanese, but let's be honest.

that's the stupidest thing one could say. To Japanesey?

Like seriously?

There Japanese influence is why they are so popular. Ideas like splatoon, is something I'd expect from japan, but it was such a Japanese idea, that it sold millions in the west and everywhere.

It gave them a whole new series to work with. The west loves the culture of Japan. That's why Nintendo games work. Being Japanese is why their games are done so well that they appeal to foreign nations.

Being Japanesy is what makes them work. They don't need to change, let alone to satisfy someone who whines about them such as the bitblock.
But they're not working in the west. They're working in Japan, kind of. Because they understand that market. And even then, they're not "working" nearly as well as they used to.

And no, Splatoon is not inherently Japanese. Splatoon was a console game when Japan prefers handhelds, it was a third-person-shooter when Japan prefers other genres. Its aesthetic is partially Japanese what with the focus on squids and octopus and other sea creatures (and idols) which are generally more prevalent in Japan, but it's also heavily inspired by hip-hop and western youth culture and graffiti-style art, all of which is again traditionally not Japanese.

Characters like Mario and the Inklings originate from Japan, but they're not culturally Japanese. Especially Mario. If you were unaware of the developer behind the Mario games, what indication would you have that it's culturally Japanese? They're designed with a western cartoon aesthetic, they don't hold any specific Japanese customs to my knowledge, they don't "act Japanese", they don't speak Japanese, the games aren't set in Japan; it's made to appeal to an international audience. Nintendo's dedication to fun and quality above all is what gives them that pedigree to which they can more easily resonate with people. And that's not Japanese-y, that's Nintendo-y. Look at Sega. They're just as Japanese as Nintendo, their series often share the same aesthetics, but it's the differences in their design philosophy and game quality which have resulted in the huge discrepancy between the two, not their nationality, because that's a shared factor.

Mario or Splatoon or what have you is little more "Japanese-y" than Resident Evil, or Metal Gear, or Dark Souls. Which is to say, they're Japanese in origin, but not in culture (though Splatoon aesthetically is more of a hybrid, granted). Culturally Japanese games, games that embrace Japanese culture, or focus on genres more popular in Japan than in the west by and large do not face as much success abroad, though obviously there are exceptions. Pokemon is an exception.

But no, the west does not love the culture of Japan. Part of the west loves the culture of Japan, and most of the west prefers the culture of the west. If the west loved Japanese culture in their gaming so much, then western devs and companies wouldn't have taken over the vast majority of western gaming.

Nintendo is being too Japanese in their business side of things outside of Japan. Game wise, many of their series are deliberately culturally agnostic. Though it wouldn't hurt them to secure more offerings that cater to specifically the western audience, as they're in a much more dire situation there than in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do know Corrin uses his Dash Attack as an animation when he uses Luna. He did it for me as a Hoshido Noble.
Oh, so it's also his Offensive Skill animation
I only ever had Dragon Fang(which uses a special animation) and Astra(which uses normal ones) on my Corrin so I wouldn't know
Though when I saw it, it appeared as a follow up attack

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Characters like Mario and the Inklings originate from Japan, but they're not culturally Japanese. Especially Mario. If you were unaware of the developer behind the Mario games, what indication would you have that it's culturally Japanese?
Mario is a special case. It's Nintendo's main mascot, so he's made to be as malleable as possible. Some Mario games aren't very culturally Japanese, often being culturally neutral altogether. But some games, like 3D World and the RPGs and what not, have much more Japanese influence, and you can tell that they are Japanese made. The Mario & Luigi games especially, definitely convert the artstyle into looking more like a manga (in the vein of like, Pokémon or any other more light hearted thing, not as in like Fire Emblem).

But then you have some Mario games which wear their Western cultural influences on their sleeves, usually when they are developed by a Western studio, like the Mario Strikers games, and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom