• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Had this match. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

What do you guys think about Bayonetta and her balance?
Bayonetta is fine. I think people are over rating her in terms of calling her broken.

She's definitely one of the top 10 characters but she has a lot of exploitable flaws, like the cool down on her moves and the fact most characters can easily DI out of a lot of her combos.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Bayonetta is fine. I think people are over rating her in terms of calling her broken.

She's definitely one of the top 10 characters but she has a lot of exploitable flaws, like the cool down on her moves and the fact most characters can easily DI out of a lot of her combos.
Reminds me that with Cloud, who is only 13 on the tier list, I can wreck all my friends because punishing their "bait and bob, dodge and attack" play style with his kit is easy.

And I'm not even that good.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The other thing is that people are already putting Bayonetta above ZSS and Rosalina on tier lists, even ZeRo, despite the fact this hasn't been proven and there hasn't been enough time for the character to settle in. I feel like there is just a lot of pre-mature sensationalism on her right now regarding competitive placing. She's gonna need to do far more than she already has to justify being second on the tier list. ZSS and Rosalina are top 3 because they've consistently placed within top 3 across the ENTIRE game's lifespan (even the 3DS days) at tournaments, as well as all of the really good tools they have.

And before anyone says "YOU CAN'T DISAGREE WITH ZERO", yes I can. May I remind people that he once thought Roy was top tier material? :V

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
the only character who is like, definitely better than bayonetta is sheik. cloud, zero suit, and rosaluma are pretty close to her.

imo she's like #4, but it's still tentative because the character is so new and the other top tiers are close in terms of quality. the only character i have confidence in saying their spot in terms of top tiers is sheik.

most characters can easily DI out of a lot of her combos.
no, it's really not that easy

it's like metaknight where you can di but it only works so well, bayonetta can react to di and her players will continue to get better at covering options. (b reverse witch twist is life)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bayonetta is without a doubt Top 5 in the game...Number 2 like ZeRo says?...nah

I also think he placed Cloud way too high...Cloud is a good character don't get me wrong but not Top 5, Top 10 maybe but not Top 5...
There's also the fact that Yoshi wasn't in the Top 15 at all...He is still one of the better characters in the game, his only problem is barely any high level players actually use him anymore...

However ZeRo's tier list is his list...his opinion, I'm sure if we all make our own tier lists they'd be very different from eachother...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Bayo is top 15 almost undoubtedly, it's just a matter of where in that top 15. It really is still too early to concretely place her on a certain numerical spot, hell I still think it's still a tad early for people to be as certain about :4cloud: as they are, even though I feel he's also definitely top 10 from a more opinionated standpoint.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
yoshi is an incoherent toolbox that is completely outclassed by the less general toolboxes that are far more cohesive and therefore better. he loses to all the good characters; sheik, bayonetta, metaknight, diddy, etc. there's nothing really keeping him in top 15/20 besides his handful of really stupid moves like jab.

also in what world is cloud not a top tier character???

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
ZeRo is a dingus. I've long learned to not take what he says seriously.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I stopped reading One Piece some time back, I'm not completely sure how far I got into it

Something to do with something that could make artificial Devil Fruit or something

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
the only character who is like, definitely better than bayonetta is sheik. cloud, zero suit, and rosaluma are pretty close to her.

imo she's like #4, but it's still tentative because the character is so new and the other top tiers are close in terms of quality. the only character i have confidence in saying their spot in terms of top tiers is sheik.

no, it's really not that easy

it's like metaknight where you can di but it only works so well, bayonetta can react to di and her players will continue to get better at covering options. (b reverse witch twist is life)
That's not what the top level players have been experiencing and I haven't felt that either.

I mean sure, she can cover the DI sometimes, like other characters can, but that's situational, it depends on what moves have already been used. If she's already used her jumps and Up-B/Side-B's, she hasn't got a hope of covering DI, she's in the same boat as pretty much any other character there. She also isn't fast enough to still be able to chase people even after landing after a combo.

The general consensus is that with most of her moves, DI'ing down and away gets you out of most of what she can do, as most characters. That gets you out of range of Bayonetta's Side B, both the upward and downward version, even if she still has it, which is her main tool for covering DI. And Witch Twist goes straight up so that's no good at that point. She might be able to still cover it if she has a second jump but even then, the opponent can still air dodge whatever she has left most of the time.

That DI problem and the fact she's easy to punish, and the fact she hasn't got any reliable single move KO options unless she can get Witch Time in, is what ultimately balances her out and prevents her from being a stupidly over powered and brain dead character like a lot of people think she is.

Oh, and her roll is easily one of the worst in the game too. Doesn't mean as much in high level play but in intermediate level at least, that really hurts her. Bat Within SOMEWHAT helps but she would have been better off with a flat out better dodge since she still takes damage from Bat Within.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yoshi is so overrated it hurts.

He has all the tools and make up to be a high tier character but isn't even on that level considering he doesn't have the results and doesn't place high in tournaments anymore.

He's like Melee Samus and Young Link. He's decent for counterpicks but he isn't a top tier character and if you still believe that then you must be stuck in the 3DS days where :4duckhunt: was considered too tier and :4olimar: is the worst character in the game

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yoshi is fun to play and I consider him a secondary just for that.

I think he could go further than where he currently is but nobody is gonna use him.

At least he's actually more than viable in this game. :4yoshi:

Also I was doing some Paper Mario related research and I was reading Dimentio's page, when suddenly:

According to his catch card, he is a mercenary.
I totally never caught that and now I love him even more. A freakin' Mario character that is a mercenary jester.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
....Screw you too, revelations
Chapter 16 goes straight into 17, just like "Endgame" in either of the other routes.
No save or anything

D

Deleted member

....Screw you too, revelations
Chapter 16 goes straight into 17, just like "Endgame" in either of the other routes.
No save or anything
But you get Odin in Chapter 17 and he can solo the entire map without pair ups! :troll:
But really though, who thought those were good ideas?
SS had chapters where you didn't go back to the world map before starting them but at least you could save
Conquest double Chapter 10 to 17 when?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If any Paper Mario fans could give me feedback on this, it would be appreciated.

Trying to make a Paper Rosalina sprite that I will eventually take into Flash and make animations for.

Is this a good enough outline (as in does it look like a Paper Mario character to you)? The main thing I am struggling with is the hands, since there is no real reference for human, feminine, bare hands in the series. Peach wears gloves so she doesn't really work as a reference.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I would main Yoshi if he had some Yoshi's Island sound effects, like the jumping sound, egg throwing and the typical retro Yoshi sound.

Seriously, Yoshi's Island is my favorite SNES game, and maybe my favorite game of all time.

I don't like the things Nintendo made to him, he was a very cool and unique character, now he is just a weird Barney-Pokémon with literally the same voiceclips in every game.

:yoshi:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
But you get Odin in Chapter 17 and he can solo the entire map without pair ups! :troll:
But really though, who thought those were good ideas?
SS had chapters where you didn't go back to the world map before starting them but at least you could save
Conquest double Chapter 10 to 17 when?
I understood it for Endgame.
That made sense.
This? This was kinda BS.
Luckily Xander and Leo swept the entire right half of the map by themselves.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My haircut was made so it could be in a slicked back style but either it's grown too long in the month since I got it or I just suck at slick back

Edit: Everyone nowadays seems to be talking about VR being the future of gaming or whatever

But I gotta say, if it IS I am not going to be able to game.

I dunno if I'm much of a "gamer" anyway. The only shooter I play is TF2. I'd prefer more creative sandboxes like spore... Or minecraft.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
My haircut was made so it could be in a slicked back style but either it's grown too long in the month since I got it or I just suck at slick back

Edit: Everyone nowadays seems to be talking about VR being the future of gaming or whatever

I dunno if I'm much of a "gamer" anyway. The only shooter I play is TF2. I'd prefer more creative sandboxes like spore... Or minecraft.
I'm waiting on VR personally.
I mean, I'm sure someday it will revolutionize the world like the many who've put it on a pedestal have claimed, but as of right now it needs time to seep into the market before it becomes said "future of gaming".

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm waiting on VR personally.
I mean, I'm sure someday it will revolutionize the world like the many who've put it on a pedestal have claimed, but as of right now it needs time to seep into the market before it becomes said "future of gaming".
For me it's about the money

The recommded graphics card to run the oculus rift alone cost the price of a PS4.

With the oculus rift itself like , $700

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

What does what shooters you play have to do with being a gamer?

If you play shooters you simply like shooters. They're not like an entry level requirement to being a gamer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What does what shooters you play have to do with being a gamer?

If you play shooters you simply like shooters. They're not like an entry level requirement to being a gamer.
I kind of only finished half my thought in that post. I didn't even explain why I couldn't do the whole VR thing

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If any Paper Mario fans could give me feedback on this, it would be appreciated.

Trying to make a Paper Rosalina sprite that I will eventually take into Flash and make animations for.

Is this a good enough outline (as in does it look like a Paper Mario character to you)? The main thing I am struggling with is the hands, since there is no real reference for human, feminine, bare hands in the series. Peach wears gloves so she doesn't really work as a reference.

That's actually really well done so far. I love how you're not just sticking to the 'slightly altered Paper Peach' stigma and giving her that hight and scope she's more befitting of. It's different, but I think she fits really well.

Only thing is I think the lefthand side of her dress is just a liiiiiiittle bit too wide. I get that's because of the perspective since she's obviously not facing the camera as most paper characters don't, so definitely keep it wider than the other side, just a smidge less so. A bit distracting.

And the hands are as good as anything since, as you said, no real good reference for bare hands.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The FE talk reminds me, I got to redo my conquest playthrough. Because boy oh boy are most of my unit's underleveled for the endgame. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still haven't seen Zootopia. Kind of want to see it tomorrow if I wake up early enough

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I still haven't seen Zootopia. Kind of want to see it tomorrow if I wake up early enough
I didn't think it was as good as the reviews say. But it was still a cute and enjoyable movie. Had a good message.

My theater experience was sort of ruined by a bunch of furries. Not in costume, but you can tell by how they laughed at the stupidest jokes. Kind of gross.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Poor Scarlet, killed horribly in Conquest, can't marry lobster lord despite all of the teases (especially in Relevations), forced to marry only one man, who proposes with the line "I want you to decorate me... with your love", and now killed out of nowhere in Relevations. Is Birthright really the only place where she can be happy?

On another note, Chapter 18 was kind of fun. It can be a bit tedious, but at least with the right units you can get it down rather quickly.

I probably should see Zootopia at this point, I wasn't really sure on the movie at first, but from what I'm hearing it seems like it'd be a lot of fun to watch.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well that worked out nicely...

Went to Gamestop to purchase the New 3DS XL today, and they had a $40 off special when you pre-order Hyrule Warriors Legends...couple that with a $100 gift card I got on Christmas that I haven't touched...basically got the new system and game for $200...including warranty...not a bad deal...
Don't think I'll bother transferring data between 3DS's since there's only a few games that I can't play on my old 3DS and I don't own any of the exclusives yet anyways...will likely pick up Xenoblade though...

Edit: fixed some bad math...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think the reviews for the film aren't so much for how amazing it is as much as its for how solid it was.

Like there weren't really any amazing moments, but there honestly weren't any bad moments either. It's got a little something for everyone and it's plenty creative for what it's given.

So nothing standout, but nothing inheritly bad or even noticeabley flawed either.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I didn't think it was as good as the reviews say. But it was still a cute and enjoyable movie. Had a good message.

My theater experience was sort of ruined by a bunch of furries. Not in costume, but you can tell by how they laughed at the stupidest jokes. Kind of gross.
Like every other sentence or at "jokes" that weren't jokes? Just curious.

Either way I can see it.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Like every other sentence or at "jokes" that weren't jokes? Just curious.

Either way I can see it.
Like the jokes that weren't funny and were obviously meant for younger audiences with small attention spans. Like when she goes to give the fox a ticket, she turns away for a second, and he's run all the way around the corner. They lost their **** at that. It wasn't even funny.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Also I was doing some Paper Mario related research and I was reading Dimentio's page, when suddenly:

I totally never caught that and now I love him even more. A freakin' Mario character that is a mercenary jester.
Well, he isn't the pleasure of crowds for nothing.
L9VOm7Z.png

Now Nintendo, make Dimentio apparaer in more game. I don't care how it would work or in what game. I want more Dimentio!!! (And Count Bleck...And the others main vialin of SPM.)

A game about the past of Count Bleck (After he become vilain) and his minions will be just perfect to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom