• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
New Kirby is weird to me. Nintendo does this thing where they add a gimmick on top of a formula that already works, instead of building upon what makes the game work in the first place. It's the same reason Mario Party and Paper Mario fail now.

If we just had a classic Kirby game with a lot more hats that'd be better than OP on rails Mech mechanics.
Oh gosh.

This is exactly the kind of thing Sonic fans complain about.

Nintendo, please steer the ship away, I don't like where this is going.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The new Paper Mario looks absolutely beautiful, a shame it's pretty much Sticker Star 2.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Kirby and Xenoblade X finally did the crossover I've always been waiting for. :troll:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Triple Deluxe was more wellrecieved than Wii so I guess it's just you
Let me rephrase. I do think Triple Deluxe is a good game. What I think is not a good idea, is taking Triple Deluxe and adding an unnecessary gimmick to the game.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
- Kirby game is badass
- Glad Stair Fax is still releasing on my birthday
- New Hyrule Warriors content HYPE
- Still have no issue with Metroid Federation Force
-When the hell will the Mario vs. DK series will return the gameplay of Game Boy Donkey Kong and the first Mario vs Donkey Kong that I REALLY want?
- Paper Mario looks good. The fact it's similar to Sticker Star does scare me, though
- My Nintendo is promising
- Cool to see Splatoon is still getting support
- Some reason SNES VC isn't too exciting for me
- Might get Rhythm Heaven

Everything else not an attention grabber.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well that sucked as expected.
Fates release date was nice. Literally the week after Doom.
Kirby too I guess.
Otherwise mediocre.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You realise this means Slippy got his own game before Falco, Krystal, Wolf or even a James starring prequel.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can see where Con0rrr is coming from. But as long as it doesn't intrude with the gameplay it should be fine.

It kinda reminds me of what Mega Man X had.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Wolf looks cool.
Branching paths are cool.
The new Paper Mario is sure to disappoint.
Still no slopes.
More Hyrule Warriors characters is cool.
Still no Groose tho.
Old games I already own coming to the New 3DS virtual console
"Federation Force is good, we swear!"
Triple Deluxe with robot mech DLC.
Waddle Dee got an amiibo, and it's not the bandana wearing one, lol.
No more Smash reveals in directs is sad.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So we should expect a petition to cancel Paper Mario U right?

I mean, I can almost see someone writing it right now.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
New Kirby seems sorta paint by the numbers but I'm ok with it. Those amiibos are cute.

Yaaaas MH. Yaaaas Star Fox Zero. Noooooooo Sticker Star 2.

Might try FF but I don't like that artstyle. Probably going to y HAL but I'm stuck with a 2DS (not that I mind) so my experience will get hindered.

Lost Reavers will be on my watch list. As will Rhythym Heaven.

I think the thing that hurt me second most (first being that Paper Mario game) was the lack of Bayonetta and Cloud amiibo release dates. I really wasn't expecting that much from the direct. I wanted that, at least.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Literally a 3 minute trailer
3 minute trailer that showed Kertsi 2.0, no real partners despite showing multiple locations at different points in the game, Sticker Star style level progression, No NPC that isn't a Toad, Thing Stickers 2.0, placing stickers in the level 2.0.

It has a new environment. I will give it that. But that does not make up for everything else. You want to live in your little dream world, cool. But they have had 2 Paper Mario related games at this point with this one following those to a near perfect T.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Kinda worrisome that Nintendo seemingly wants little spotlight shone on the new Paper Mario.
It's because it's clearly unoriginal. Which sucks cause it looks nice. They don't need these gimmicks though...

Paper Mario x Splatoon is a weird concept.
Everyone thought it be mario and splatoon, when it was actually paper mario and splatoon!

As for the direct, it was alright.

Only hyped for Hyrule Warriors, the mario maker update, and kirby. I'll hope the Paper mario isn't bad. But if it is, you should have just done Thousand Year Old Door HD Nintendo...

The kirby is pretty neat though. I like the robot idea, and the amiibo usage is cool.

I like how his smash bros amiibo gives him, his abilities from it.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Ok, so after seeing all the salt over Paper Mario, I gotta say, I'll give this game a shot. If it can fix some of the core problems Sticker Star had (Gameplay, fights meaning absolutely nothing, and also no story and characters) then I'll be happy. I'll always want a true sequel to TTYD, but as long as this game is fun, then I'll be fine. And this is coming from someone who considers TTYD their favorite game ever.

SNES games on New 3DS are great, can't wait for that. Rhythm Heaven coming over is great to see. All in all, this was a pretty good direct.

One mention though, doesn't the Mother 3 rumor tie into the Paper Mario one that happened? If so, then E3 is definitely something to speculate over.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still not digging Federation Force.

If they had put it on the Wii U and given it more typical Metroid aesthetics I'm sure a lot more people would be singing a different tune about it. I don't understand why they made it for the 3ds in the first place tbh. It might be cheaper to develop for, and NLG does have 3ds experience, but Samus or no Samus, a team-based 3d shooter with Metroid branding makes so much more sense as a console title than a portable one. Not even mentioning the fact that the Wii U has been in more dire need of games than the 3ds pretty much since it launched.

FF is at its core a solid idea wrapped in a bunch of questionable, even poor development and design decisions.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Talk 2 little about paper mario people complain.
Talk 2 much about federation force,people hammer the keyboard.
#modernnintendofanbase

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, almost forgot about New 3DS SNES VC
That would be hype if, you know, wasn't New 3DS exclusive

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, this Direct was... something.

Didn't get too excited for anything.

Some comments:
1. Hyrule Warriors Legends is almost a must-buy at this point. Looking forward to the game and guess they're not done adding characters yet, which is honestly great. Plus, Toon Ganondorf costume!
2. SNES VC on New 3DS is honestly great! Now I can finally get to play A Link to the Past! (Hopefully, GBA VC as N3DS exclusive will be a thing still...:ohwell:)
3. lol #FE won't get an English dub. They really know the game's target audience, huh... And maybe the whole Japanese setting stuff is a thinly veiled way of saying they don't want additional localization costs in getting a dub voice cast. (Licensing the songs probably blew out nearly the entire budget. Heh heh heh heh heh...)
4. Star Fox Zero isn't half-bad, but it's pretty much a Star Fox 64 reboot with some new cool stuff and all. Not a bad looking game, but not amazing either.
5. Metroid Prime Federation Force looks fairly interesting. Seems like the project had been in consideration for quite a while. 2009 for the DSi before they moved to New 3DS... It started shortly after Prime 3 and before Other M was released (and had the massive backlash). Tanabe seemed very nervous. You could clearly tell that he was excited for his own project, but wary of the backlash. He must really be under pressure. I wouldn't like to be on his shoes, so hopefully he can manage to put out an quality game.
6. Oh, and FE Fates will have the 3 paths in one single card. Hopefully, the price is that of a full game, but even so, it's still better than what JP and NA got. Might even consider getting the game at this rate... MAYBE.

As for the rest, I don't have much to say, so that's it for my thoughts on the whole thing.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants a Mario vs. Donkey Kong that plays like the first game (aka like Game Boy Donkey Kong) and not a boring Lemmings-styled gameplay?

I don't care about those dang Mini-Marios!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You realise this means Slippy got his own game before Falco, Krystal, Wolf or even a James starring prequel.
Toad got his own game before Luigi, Peach, or Bowser...

Tingle got his own game before Zelda or Ganondorf (not counting those games we don't talk about).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The hate for Federation Force and Color Splash is infuriating.

Like, Federation Force looks far better than it originally did.

But people just blindly hate.

D

Deleted member

IT'S MEDLI TIME BAYBEE!

So happy she got in, it was such an unlikely chance.

D

Deleted member

SNES Virtual Console software coming to the New 3DS was easily the best moment of the Direct for me. Kirby: Planet Robobot looks pretty cool, too.

D

Deleted member

Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants a Mario vs. Donkey that plays like the first game (aka like Game Boy Donkey Kong) and not a boring Lemmings-styled gameplay?

I don't care about those dang Mini-Marios!
Nope, you're not the only one.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
SNES Virtual Console software coming to the New 3DS was easily the best moment of the Direct for me. Kirby: Planet Robobot looks pretty cool, too.
Agreed.

I do like how Federation Force looks and I'm insanely hype for HW

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
3 minute trailer that showed Kertsi 2.0, no real partners despite showing multiple locations at different points in the game, Sticker Star style level progression, No NPC that isn't a Toad, Thing Stickers 2.0, placing stickers in the level 2.0.

It has a new environment. I will give it that. But that does not make up for everything else. You want to live in your little dream world, cool. But they have had 2 Paper Mario related games at this point with this one following those to a near perfect T.
Don't act like that either. "Little dream world"? It's called optimism.

You're assuming things once again. Kersti 2.0 could very welll be a full partner, and while the Toad's are a bad sign once again we saw so few of the game it's possible the Toad's are just the most involved in events in the game. Didn't see the stickers, now I'm worried.

I can understand why you feel so worried, I do too, but I don't see why we need to immediately assume it as garbage if not even more then one trailer is out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm loving how Wind Waker is still getting love from Ninty even in 2016. A bit of a shame though that I'm not sure yet if I want to purchase the 3DS version though as I own the original 3DS XL and I've heard that the game doesn't run as well on that....

I should really watch the first half though as I'm not sure what some people are talking about, brb.... :/

D

Deleted member

I think Federation Force will appeal to western gamers, including younger ones. It may not be for me, but it might be something like Awakening as a entry point for the series.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Toad got his own game before Luigi, Peach, or Bowser...

Tingle got his own game before Zelda or Ganondorf (not counting those games we don't talk about).
Technically he shared it with resident rival character Wario so that particular example is a bit dicey.

Well Slippy's a love to hate character in the West. Unlike Tingle's rep which is more akin to "call the cops!"

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The hate for Federation Force and Color Splash is infuriating.

Like, Federation Force looks far better than it originally did.

But people just blindly hate.
I'm just mind boggled about how the internet makes me look like an optimistic person and I'm generally really cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom